Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

:\
gonna try again, or move on?
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Probably try again. This game is so addictive it's not even funny.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

touhou tends to be, from what i've heard. :3
click to make it bigger

Nichi

@Stew: Cool -w-

So, I think I found out the reason why I'm having such a hard time with Mega Man 2 on the PS2 Anniversary Collection, besides MM2 being based off the Japanese version: apparently, some fans have reported a slight input lag on this version compared to playing on an original NES :\
(Maybe I should get my password from Anniversary Collection, take on Quick Man's stage on my NES, and then resume from PS2 if at all possible?)

NejinOniwa

Sengoku Rance is not Touhou, K. It's a strategy game/VN where you play as the hero, swordsman and rapist of worlds Rance, on his quest of conquest to unify JAPAN (similar but not the same as the Japan of Dimension 3E2 which is the one we know) under the banner of clan Oda. Of course, Rance being Rance, his conquests aren't at all limited to tracts of land, and he uses his talking, demon-slaying demonic sword Chaos just as much as he uses his "Hyper Weapon" on every woman he can get his hands on. His drive, so to speak, is not to be trifled with - as the many hero(ines) of the previous games in this long-running series have learned. The hard way. Or to be specific, the long, hard and inexhaustible way.

Fun fact: his weak point is being confessed or proposed to. He is not one to play the passive role in any relationship, and is absolutely freaked out when it happens to him. With very hilarious results, I might add.

That being said, I would not be opposed to a Touhou Rance - whether it be Rance in Gensokyo or a Touhou game with similar gameplay. The strategy is simple yet complex and addictive as fuck, like say Pokémon...and come to think of it, last year's Pokémon Conquest for DS (which I played to hell and back) is pretty similar to this overall. Minus the R-18 part, of course.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too early. There is indeed a Touhou version of this, just as expected.

Chocofreak13

xD

my bad on the mistaken identity, but it seems what i said came true anyway. -w-

that said, it sounds both interesting and disturbing. given the opportunity i'd like to cut off Rance's junk.

@pent: does it work off the format where you can unlock higher levels with a password (like pipe dream)? if so, i'd say that might be a better option. but even if it is possible, are you sure the passwords will sync up between the consoles? :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Yeah they will. PS2 can save to memory card, but you can still have it bring up the password; which is universal across all version of Mega Man 2 (I remember, when I had the Gamecube version ages ago, using my password from Mega Man 5 on NES to continue on the collection -w-)

Well, except the Game Boy version of Mega Man II (Note the roman numerals); which is an entirely different game -w-;

Chocofreak13

ahhhhh, interesting. :3
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Interestingly enough, there IS a Sex Change Shrine in the game, and if you use it on Rance you'll get an instant game over.
QuoteRance: "AAH! I can't have sex with women like this!"
Shrine maiden: "...you can if you really want to."
Rance: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" *runs off screaming, never to be seen again*
GAME OVER
Hilarity.

Nichi

LeaflameSD

Chocofreak13

*snicker*

i'm excited to be getting a Wii for christmas. in addition to Animal Crossing for the Gamecube (not the Wii, i was told last night by a huge AC fan that the DS versions are best, the Gamecube version is hard because you have to play literally every day, and the Wii version sucks) and Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports for the Wii, i'm wondering what else i should get.

any suggestions on cool RPGs for the Gamecube or interesting games for the Wii, OSC?
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

TALES OF SYMPHONIA FOR GAMECUBE
THAT IS ALL

One of the FEW times I've actually been able to enjoy a "dub" of sorts. They really did a great job with the voiceovers on that game, compared to what usually happens.

Nichi

@Kari: If you have $70+ to blow, Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii is pretty cool, but given the steep price tag, but you can do far better for a lot cheaper IMO.

As for other RPGs, many people speak highly of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, on Gamecube. Some say it's the Final Fantasy VII of the Paper Mario series, and to be honest, I'd agree; much like FF7, TTYD is the last good Paper Mario game (Although Super Paper Mario was decent, it was more of a platform game than an RPG). Also, Skies of Arcadia Legends is one worth checking out (It's a port of a popular Dreamcast RPG about pirates in airships).

On Wii, you have access to Virtual Console; which allows to buy many classics fairly cheap. For instance, you can download Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI for $8 each. They're presented exactly as they were on the Super NES back in '94-'95; so no fancy cut-scenes from the PlayStation versions of those games, and in FF6's case, it's still labeled as Final Fantasy III in the Wii Shop Channel and on the game's title screen, instead of using the game's actual title and much cooler Japanese logo. There are many other games avaliable as well; many of which are worth buying (Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Paper Mario, etc.)

As far as other worthwhile games on both systems, Virtual Console aside, there's the two Super Smash Bros. games: Melee on Gamecube, and Brawl on Wii. Melee is widely considered the best in the series, and Brawl is pretty good even if it's not as popular (It does have some quirks I'm not fond of, but still great fun as far as local multiplayer, and it has an enjoyable single-player story mode).

With Gamecube, Super Mario Sunshine is fun, but very weird as far as Mario games go (It's worth trying out, but don't go in expecting Super Mario 64 II; it's a completely different experience altogether). Luigi's Mansion is short but sweet, although I'd wait to get it until the price comes back down (If you found it for $10, get it). Also, Zelda: The Wind Waker is good if you want some adventure, and of all the Zelda games on Gamecube, this one usually isn't too expensive.

On Wii, you need to check out Muramasa: The Demon Blade. It's a side-scrolling hack-and-slash with beautiful hand-drawn 2D graphics, with a story set in ancient Japan. It's also super cheap if you find it (You can get it for about $10 or so without issue), making this a steal.

There's also Pikmin 2. It's also on Gamecube, but the Wii version is much easier to find and cheaper. The first game is also available on both Gamecube and Wii, but to be honest I prefer the 2nd one; mostly because it allows for a lot more freedom to explore and find stuff, since they did away with the timer. It's usually about $20 new, so keep it in mind.

You already mentioned Super Mario Galaxy, and that's an amazing game that's also on the cheap side ($20 new from most stores). As a word of caution, be very picky about the condition of the disc if you get it used; this particular game doesn't take to scratches very well, as I've had multiple copies pass through my hands that crash during the opening cut-scene due to scratches. But, since it's cheap, I'd buy it new.

Lastly, Kirby's Dream Collection is a great compilation of games; you get all of the games on up to Kirby 64, with many bonus features. I'm personally a bit miffed at them not enabling Dream Land 2's Super Game Boy enhancements (Enhanced sound, colorized graphics, and a themed border around the game screen), but that's more a minor complaint than anything; it's still a nicely assembled collection.