Games General

Started by NejinOniwa, September 27, 2011, 04:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartsage

I got me Super Nintendo Entertainment System.  The best game ever is NHL '94.  None of that Link to the Past bullshit.  There's no feeling quite like that 16-bit Brass Bonanza at the face-off.

NejinOniwa

Currently playing Sengoku Rance, while waiting for my NWN2 download.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

the oldest game i owned was some NASCAR game for the SNES, which i never owned, so i sold it. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Not mussing much there. Then again, I loathe NASCAR >_>;

Now, if it had been Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, or any number of good racing games on the system, then you'd be missing something great.

EDIT: So I just bought the Angry Video Game Nerd game on Steam, since it was one sale dirt cheap. Waiting for it to finish downloading

Nichi

I feel this warrants a second post, but here's my review of the AVGN game, spoiler-tagged in case anybody cares

[spoiler=Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (PC)]To start things off, let me go ahead and say that I've been a long-time fan of AVGN; having watched his show since roughly '07 or so. So many fond memories of borrowing my sister's laptop every Wednesday morning, having coffee with grandpa, and then, after he walks down to his shop, I setup and watch a nerd swearing like a sailor over NES games. In fact, it was through AVGN that I discovered the Nostalgia Critic, which of course lead to discovering Atop the Fourth Wall...but I'm getting off topic here.

Earlier this year, it was announced that there'd be an AVGN game on PC; featuring a look and feel like a classic NES or Super NES game (Basically, something akin to Scott Pilgrim: The Game, but starring AVGN). I was excited, though I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to pay $15 for it, and there wasn't a free demo available anywhere, so I waited for it to go on sale on Steam; eventually finding it for half off this morning. So, I bought it...and to be honest I would have been better off getting myself a case of Rolling Rock than this game.

As far as jokes in the game, it's very in-your-face with the references to games AVGN has reviewed; like the game has to stop and shout "LOOK AT ME I'M A REFERENCE TO EPISODE #50. GET IT?", without the same sense of wit that usually comes from a good episode of the series. Even though I have seen every episode, there are still some parts of the game I simply do not get; like the bit with the Nerd fighting Santa as a boss, and immediately afterward there's a snowboarding segment that comes out of nowhere, with the Nerd using Santa's bleeding corpse as a snowboard. Also, when you die on a stage (Which will happen a lot), you have to sit on a "You Died" screen with some random blurb from the Nerd on how much he hates this game for about 5 seconds before you're allowed to continue, and if you lose all lives, you get his "brutal Game Over screen" he made up in his Friday the 13th review.

The problem here is that it's inaccessible to people unfamiliar with his show, or more casual fans who have seen maybe a handful of episodes. Take, for example, Scott Pilgrim: The Game; it drops a lot of references, but does so subtly, so it's funny for those who catch it, but it doesn't get in the way of the enjoyment for people who don't catch it or get it. In my eyes, the AVGN game should have been more like that instead of just being tons of references.

But, does the gameplay make up for it? Not really; it's like the programmers watched every episode, payed attention to the stuff that the Nerd complained about the most, and decided "yeah; that totally needs to be in our game". As a result, the game is very unforgiving, and the 5-second unskippable "you died" screen only serves to frustrate you more (As you can only see the randomly generated variants of "I'd rather [verb] a [noun]'s [genitals \ feces \ etc] than stay in this [swear]ing game" so many times before it gets old). It reminds me of Prinny 2 in a way; it's overly difficult, but lacks soul; it doesn't really have the sense of humor to make me want to sit through to completion. If this had been a free game, I'd be more willing to suggest trying it, but for $15, you can do far better than this (Hell, I paid $7.50 and still feel a bit cheated).

In conclusion, this game is best avoided unless it ends up on sale for about $5, and even then, it's really only for diehard AVGN fans[/spolier]

Chocofreak13

Spoiler: ShowHide
interesting. it kinda shows that they lacked creativity in the process, imo. and i mean, bleeding corpse? really...?
there's angry, and then there's psycho. i am both, so i know both. and for a campy game such as this, you want to stay away from the latter. >>;

@pent: if it was a recognizable title, i may have asked if anyone wanted it. but it was some random, no-name title that i doubt i could find again if i tried. i got all of $2-5 for it (can't really recall), so yeah. :\
click to make it bigger

Nichi

TBH I think something psychotic would be more like Manhunt :\

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Nichi

Indeed :\

So I actually just beat the AVGN game. TBH, the final stage, boss, and ending were a letdown. To go over some things I would have liked to have seen...

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (PC): ShowHide
For starters, I was let down that there was only one final level. Counting the tutorial stage, that's a grand total of 10 levels; for a game referencing Mega Man with the "select a level" setup, that actually feels way too short. I'm genuinely surprised they didn't go for a series of levels that lead up to the final boss, like the Fortress segment at the end of every 2D Mega Man game; granted, this is likely a blessing in disguise, when the layout of the final level was completely insane as far as instant death traps.

Secondly, I would have preferred a better final boss. Like, there were so many possibilities, like the Nostalgia Critic or FrankenNerd, but instead we get Fred Fucks; referencing a on-off gag from his Dracula review. But, that seems to be the general theme with it; they seemed to focus too hard on squeezing in as many obscure references to episodes from the show that they missed some very obvious opportunities to make something cool.

Thirdly, I'm let down that there wasn't a "escape from the exploding building within the time limit" segment, in homage to Metroid. Like, it would have made for a really cool escape sequence if pulled off correctly. Granted, I'm sure they would have screwed it up by adding lots of enemies and instant death hazards to ruin it, when it just needs to be a simple you-vs-time escape sequence.

Last off, the ending. It ends with everyone escaping from the game, the Nerd declaring it was shit because "all it does is suck you in" and "you'd have to be a nerd to continue playing it!"...before he pops the game back into his NES and begins playing it again. Again, there's a missed opportunity here; I would have had a good laugh if he referenced the "Conglaturations! You have completed a great game" screen from Ghostbusters on NES, but instead we get something original but falls flat on its face.

There are rumors of a sequel being in consideration, and to be honest, if a sequel does happen, I'm unlikely to buy it. This really should have been a free download instead of a $15 Steam game; even at $7.50, I still feel somewhat cheated.

Chocofreak13

as you said before.
Spoiler: ShowHide
tbh the last bit is a bit offensive as i'm not a big fan of the "you'd have to be a ____ to ____" jokes, since they alienate people who identify with either ____. >>;

also, i now want to see NC fill in for mongler in the following video:
http://www.4chan.org/flash?file=sagemangame.swf&title=Sage+Man+Game

i want to see that vid become an actual game. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

So, I'm now getting back to Final Fantasy VI. Nearly lost this one boss fight, but I managed to turn the tables and come out on top (Everyone in the party except Bella was knocked out, but she managed to get everyone else back on their feet -w-)

stewartsage

Typical Bells.  Flailing around until everything's back in working order.

On a related note: It's Saxxy time ya'll, get out your voting hands and start clicking.

Nichi

Chocofreak13

ENLIGHTEN US, OH HOLY ONE!!
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Cleared Sengoku Rance TRUE route and Houjou Ran route.
Slightly annoyed that I didn't manage to character clear any of the people who are exclusive to the Ran route though -_-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS