and this is Yoko, she is 16
Spoiler: ShowHide
Simon was here :P

Nichi

Linkara gets out heavier weapons

You know, I never really thought about it like this xD

Chocofreak13

oh god, i lol'd at that last one. xD

@stew: cool pics. :0 cadance looks kind of like early britney spears there, in that she has the sort of "naughty schoolgirl" thing going on, only she's a pony.
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

Spoiler: ShowHide

[/quote][/spoiler]

And youko's also badass

FTW...!? wasn't Linkara dangerous already without the BFG...!?

Nichi

SleepyD

heh. I remember it took me forever to get it in my head that the passive voice is to be used extremely sparingly in academic writings.

And while I'm here... *swoons*

Chocofreak13

i'd like to get a more concrete understanding of what passive voice is. :\
click to make it bigger

SleepyD

I am very much guilty of passive voice. It makes my sentences longer, and often distances personal emotion from the sentence itself.
There's a bunch of different forms of the passive, and it's been a long time since I've had English lessons on the topic but here's some examples:

Passive: He is being slapped in the face by a woman in a leather outfit.
Active: A woman in a leather outfit slapped him in the face.

Passive: The hot dog was eaten by the woman.
Active: The woman ate the hot dog.

Basically, you're not using an "active" verb. "Ate" as opposed to "was eaten" or "being slapped" as opposed to just "slapped". But you should note that the actual subject in the active sentences aren't the subject of the sentences in the passive voice.

In the active voice, a person/thing/whatever#1 performs an action to person/thing/whatever#2.
In the passive voice, person/thing/whatever#2 has an action performed on it by the person/thing/whatever#1.

And there are many forms of the passive voice, and I'm not the one you should look to for a proper explanation. ^^;
This link might help though: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/passive-voice/  Look under the section "Defining the passive voice"

And since this is a picture thread:

Chocofreak13

thankfully i'm not guilty of that. passive sentences are weird. :\
click to make it bigger

SleepyD

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 06, 2013, 07:57:53 PM
thankfully i'm not guilty of that. passive sentences are weird. :\
haha, now that I think of it, I wonder if my constant usage of the passive voice is due to the fact that I watched a crapton of documentaries when I was little.
I adapted their "objective" voice, and it took a number of years of writing/english classes for me catch myself doing so.

I used the passive voice a lot in lab reports too. Mostly because it has to be in the third person. There shouldn't be an "I did..." anywhere in there.
So instead of "I measured the temperature of the liquid to be 25C," I had to write "The temperature of the liquid was measured to be 25C"

And in keeping with the picture thread again:

Chocofreak13

happy rainbow meth lab?

ah, i can imagine how you'd fall into that practice after enough useage.
click to make it bigger

alfonso_rd_30

stewartsage

LeaflameSD

Chocofreak13

broken pic.
@stew: nice pics man. -w-
@alfonso: i believe you mean "sorcery", i'm barely sure how to pronunce "sorcerology"....
click to make it bigger