Main Menu

random picture thread

Started by panda, February 15, 2006, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Kraus

Looking into getting some AKG K 550s or K 701s but the 550s are looking to be the best option right now...

Chocofreak13

what's the difference? are the 701's louder or something? cancel more noise? :\
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on June 21, 2012, 08:27:21 PM
what's the difference? are the 701's louder or something? cancel more noise? :\

I could go full Audiophile and use some technical terms here but I'll spare you the trouble.

Both the K 701s and K 550 are Top-Of-The-Line headphones, they would rank among the top 5 headphones on the market right now (Audio-Technika MD-50 are always up top with a couple Grados and such).

The only difference would be that the 550s are a "closed-ear" design while the 701s are a "semi-open ear" design,
"closed-ear" = No noise leakage for the world to hear, even at high volume levels
"semi-open ear" = Some noise leakage for the world to hear, everyone is going to know what you're listing to at high levels

The 701s are legendary and been around for a couple of years (They are now called the Q 701 because they are now "Quincey Jones" 701s) while the K 550 came out towards the beginning of 2012 end of 2011.

Also, when you say "noise canceling" you must take into fact that you never "cancel" outside noise, just drown it out with some white noise and a "closed-ear" design. You can always "cancel" outside noise by turning up the volume but that usually causes large amounts of sound leakage due to "semi-open ear" or "open-ear" designs.

K 550s are more portable than K 701s for when you want a mobile hi-fi setup for on the go, also both of these require you to have either a DAC or AMP to get true performance out of them.

I currently use some JVC HA-RX900s with a FiiO E6 Headphone Amplifier, after grabbing the FiiO my audio experience both at home and mobile has drastically increased.

Also, I'm not that big of a "Basshead" so either AKG 550s or 701s will fit my needs because they both have a very crisp and precise soundstage (Many reviews say that the 550 has one of the most amazing soundstages on the market one that can beat the 701). Imagine listing to music, just that, doing nothing but sitting/laying down and listing to music, now imagine that while listing to a song that you could pick out every individual instrument and the drums felt like they where in the back of you're head just playing. have you ever been to a live show? If not, go to one because they are always crazy fun but take that type of atmosphere, just being that close to the band and take it everywhere. That is the kind of quality you can get out of either the K 701 or K 550 but you will probably have a better time with the 550s from what people are saying.

All in all, I'm probably going to buy the AKG K 550s after my next two paychecks... I hope I was able to teach you a little bit about hi-fi headphones!

Here are some 701s

My JVC HA-RX900s

Audio-Technica SQ5s

AKG K 242 HDs

Sony MDR-STs

My old personal Favorite, first REAL high end headphones the Koss PortaPros

Chocofreak13

remind me to give a speech about something i'm familiar with the next time it comes up. :3

also, sounds like you made a good choice. though the 701s have more of a reputation, the 550s seem like the better buy since you get comparable sound quality for less money and more portability. -w-
click to make it bigger

Paul

The K701 do have quite the reputation, though I can't really comment on their sound since I've never listened to them. I do however have a K240S (the older one made in Austria) and this one sounds really nice and clear, with lots of detail. The bass is a little lean but that's the only concern I have.

I'm quite the headphone enthusiast myself, yet lately (good) IEMs are favored by me because of their portability. Every headphone I test has to battle with my Westone 4 - actually I've never encountered a can that sounded better than the W4. You hear everything with them, the bass is quite dry but punchy , and they're super comfortable :D

Pitkin

I've so far never had headphones that didn't start to hurt my ears after a couple of hours of wear. I don't know if it's the frame of the glasses or my ears which are unfitting. ;_;

Uh, as a matter of fact I've never bought headphones at all, but have been considering them lately. >.>

Chocofreak13

i use some random brand, a skullcandy lookalike. despite the resemblance to the cheap-yet-pretty brand i used to frequent, these ones have shown their worth. sure, i accidentally dropped them on a marble floor and cracked part of the side. sure, they fell apart a couple of weeks after on that side. sure, they're being held together on that side now with artists' tape. they still work great. -w-

we're OT. here, have a couple pics(let me know if they don't display properly):
http://gelbooru.com//images/1235/1f700c25bd854485b77ad5d2e259fef7.jpeg
http://gelbooru.com//images/1340/472e0c1e50f5de3692e749f4a2ba887a.jpg
http://gelbooru.com//images/1228/f4130701b5f2ad2513c86289adaea596.png
http://gelbooru.com//images/1240/6fa70e87cee48348645b27c39283bae2.jpg
http://gelbooru.com//images/1254/dd2ab9488b6132ff74d7215a9bc4665f.jpg
click to make it bigger

Nichi

Pics are not displaying properly :\

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on June 22, 2012, 07:39:17 AM
I've so far never had headphones that didn't start to hurt my ears after a couple of hours of wear. I don't know if it's the frame of the glasses or my ears which are unfitting. ;_;

I have a similar problem when I'm wearing headphones and glasses at the same time ... I just move the earpieces of my glasses up a bit (instead of resting on the tops of my ear, they're about an inch above) and that takes care of the pressure/pain.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

Bella

They're all giving 403 errors..

Nichi

@Bella: Copy and paste the links. They work if you do that :3

Chocofreak13

lIke mE, tHe lInKs i pRoViDe aRe cOmPlIcAtEd aNd tRiCky. -w-

eDiT:

aM i tHe oNlY oNe wHo mIsSeS tHe iNtErChAnGiNg bAnNeRs? :3
click to make it bigger

stewartsage