OS-TAN THEORY 101

Started by Chocofreak13, December 22, 2010, 03:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Let's not be overly reminiscent of the Not-so-good-ol'-days, shall we?

In other news, I'm still thinking of a way to implement the sacrificial spell...it is an interesting concept, at least story-wise. _W_
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

yeesh. glad THOSE types are gone. :[

anyway, back on topic, any chance you could make an upgraded version of that chart, bells? i'd like to contribute but it's a little hard (and some of the arrows aren't labeled).
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

New theory, AU/X tan and System 7 are sisters. I'll have to update my family tree.
OSX and AU/X still aren't related though.

Chocofreak13

dude, don't just go adding stuff to family trees w/o discussion first. didn't i scold you about instant decisions before?
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Not even to my own tree?
and it's because I learned AU/X has built in software to emulate System 7, much like Rhapsody has it to emulate System 8 (and had an exchange of features). I just didn't know that before I went out and read up on AU/X.

Chocofreak13

well, personal tree yes, but that may be deemed irrelevant through discussion. whether it's your own tree or not, it feels premature. :\

wish bells was here to weigh in. she's more knowledgable on the subject than me. :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

"-A/UX is a stepsister to the Classic Macs, and a presumably a cousin to the OSXs, highly influenced by the former. "
hm?
I went to check and yes, she is a step-sister (to system 7) but, I do disagree that she's related to the OSX's because they had very little in common and did not share a common ancestor. OSX is BSD based, AU/X is UNIX System V, they are actually complete opposites!
"System V was considered one of the two major "flavors" of UNIX, the other being Berkeley Unix (BSD)."

Next and Rhapsody being sisters (or at least, closely related) was already on my fanmade family chart ^^;

Also, we do need an iOS tan D= (oh, and a Lion Tan icon)

Bella

Personally, I don't think A/UX and System 7 or Rhapsody and System 8 are related.... not even vaguely. A/UX is a Unix, Sys. 7-tan is a Mac Classic.... emulation =/= relation. Just, no.

But.

I would suggest they be intellectually-related - that is to say, step-siblings - of totally different bloodlines, but a part of the same family. This has already been established, of course....

Likewise, I don't think A/UX and the OSXes are related either; while they share a common Unix heritage, A/UX didn't influence OSX enough to be considered an ancestor...

Krizonar

Quote from: Bella on April 11, 2011, 07:16:10 PM
step-siblings
That's more or less the term I was searching for, just "step-" has a strong negative connotation to me that I didn't really think of using it that much.

Aurora Borealis

A/UX dates back to 1988 actually, versions 1 and 2 look just like (and can emulate) System 6, version 3 looks just like and can emulate System 7. Of her stepsisters, they're the two she has the most in common with.

She is a step-sister to all the Classic-tans and isn't related to them by blood, but shares cultural and intellectual ties with them (like how the older OSXs do too), and is distantly related to the OSXs. They're Unix-based but that's about it in terms of blood ties. She considers the Macs (Classic and OSX) plus Darwin OS, NeXTSTEP and the early Apples her main family, but will also show that she doesn't want to be a traitor to the Unices either.

Krizonar

Oh yes, I had overlooked that version 1 and 2 of A/UX boots System 6, I connected them horizontally, (indicating "step-sisters", not by blood and since they're all related, that technically makes her an even looser "step-sister" to the rest of the classics, so it fits) on my tree. It should be quite accurate now. I also updated backstories.

I also added Newton to the tree and gave her some as well... trying to connect her to some other Mac OS failed, so I had to come up with something new.
Let's say that after Leopard saved Antares' life from the future, the Apple family... thought different!

Aurora Borealis

Newton doesn't have blood ties to any of the Apple-tans, or really anybody, AFAIK. She is most often seen with A/UX-tan, and maybe also System 7-tan, and may have influenced iPhone-tan in some form, and is least seen as a spiritual predecessor.

I haven't gotten to writing these stories, though I'd really like to, but in their early years, A/UX-tan was also a mentor figure to System 6-tan (who after having her life saved, needed help adjusting to a new life). It also helps that A/UX-tan wasn't scared of her. :)

And while A/UX-tan was also a close friend to System 7-tan, A/UX wasn't able to help her in her time of need due to exile, and still feels really bad about that. :(

Krizonar

Yes, and the current backstory theories I have definitely allow for these :) In my mind, A/UX is Apple's way of "thinking different" using the advanced technology that Leopard used to save Antares. They reverse engineered anything about genetics and technology they could find from it. So the reason A/UX is not scared of Antares is because they are similar! (although A/UX is not a cyborg and relied more on genetic engineering technology, she is also NOT the first Unix to have had such modifications done ;) http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/UNIX ). This also helps explain why System 7 was finally a healthy system, even at launch and why the more current OSX girls are cat girls while Rhapsody is not. Newton under this theory is genetically engineered to fill a niche (much like A/UX), which explains her completely non-standard height and body form (fairy) as well as how she doesn't relate to anyone. :)

interesting? makes plot? makes sense? I hope so, though tell me if it's not/doesn't.

Aurora Borealis

A bit convoluted, but I do agree with the genetic engineering to some extent- mainly the reason why the OSXs except Rhapsody, DarwinOS, and Mac-tan/OSX-tan/OSX Public Beta... --whoever she is!!-- are catgirls.

Genetic engineering could also explain some of the height differences too. :P

And I could see how A/UX may have been engineered to meet the Apple Family's needs, but I'd say her upbringing would play a larger role- she was raised to be professional and helpful, with Mac-like behaviors, but still acknowledged as a Unix system as well. The reason she wasn't scared of System 6-tan though, is simpler. Even when System 6-tan had violent outbursts (this was before her improvements in stability), A/UX-tan had the strength and willingness to restrain her.

Chocofreak13

@kriz: why is -step a negative thing?

ugh, now i know how your guys felt earlier in this thread. i can't bring anything to the table. :[
click to make it bigger