YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Krizonar

Mac OS 8 was in the clone wars,
she Forced them to stop using OS 7.

/ba dum psssshew

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

Yeah... The relations between the Linuces gets awfully confusing quickly, but most of them are derived from three main distros.

As for the Mac clones, It's time for the Don't Explain the Joke trope!:

What is now Mac OS 8 was originally called Mac OS 7.7, but was renamed to exploit the loophole of the clones being licensed to run Mac OS 7.x in order to force the clones out of the market, since the clones were eating away at the Mac's market share.

Is this a possible conjecture: the Mac Clones?

I thought Mac OS8-tan would have killed them off, but apparently not since there are still hobbyists that use them. So would Mac OS8 just forced them to retire by fighting them into submission, when they weren't willing just because of some loophole...

Chocofreak13

@bella: now i want a picture of mac os 8 shaking her head in shame at some retarded/mutated os 7 clones. xD

i think we should try our hand at a linux family tree. sure, if we overthink it it'll end up bigger than the TREE O' LIFE, but since bella said that pretty much everyone in the linux family decended from those three heirs, it might not be too complex. especially if we take it step-by-step. :3

btw, when all is said and done, and i upload all the pics i've gathered, i'll post the family tree pics i've found. :3
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

Moved from the wiki thread:

Quote from: Bella on April 09, 2011, 06:10:39 PM
Relevant to this thread? (Now that I've found the right one) >>

This was drawn in mid-July, so, it's REALLY out of date. For instance:

-It's been established that SAGE-tan = AN/FSQ-7 computer and whatever software it ran
-Likewise, CTSS-tan represents the OS and the modified IBM 7094 hardware on which it ran
-PDP 1-tan is only the "mother"/genetic ancestor of the 18-bit PDP lineup (PDP-4, -7, -9 and -15) the other PDP-tans descended from LINC, PDP-8, -6, and -11
-I'm not sure what, if any, influence CP/CMS had on later generations of IBM-tans

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on April 09, 2011, 06:31:03 PM
Excellent! So true that Unix and Linux have too many descendants to count, and separate trees would be needed for them. DOS-11 stole RSX-tan from her biological mother?! Now I'm really curious about that! Please elaborate!

A few more I'd add if you plan on making an updated version:

-Altair influenced IMSAI 8080, though they're rivals.
-IMSAI 8080 was also the mentor to DR-DOS (CP/M)
-I don't see any mention of the Data Generals, but the Nova influenced Apple I.
-BESYS's life was sacrificed for Multics' creation, and UMES's life was sacrificed for MTS' creation.
-Apple III and Lisa influenced the Classic Mac OS.
-A/UX is a stepsister to the Classic Macs, and a presumably a cousin to the OSXs, highly influenced by the former.
-NeXTSTEP and Rhapsody are sisters.

Finally, something to discuss here again!

Bella

Crazy random (conspiracy?) theory: IBM 7090-kun is the brother/counsin of SAGE and CTSS (and, I guess, PDP-1-chan by association). Using this simple formula:

If SAGE = IBM AN/FSQ-7, and IBM 7090 = a solid-state AN/FSQ-7, then 7090-kun = SAGE-sama's sibling... or cousin... or something.

Not to mention the fact that CTSS-sama = both CTSS and the IBM 7094 computer on which it ran; and the 7094 = a modified 7090.

Chocofreak13

in that respect, i'd consider SAGE 7090's sister, and have CTSS be their half-sister.

and this is good that we've revived this thread; i was preparing to port it over to a new thread (i still might, since there's about a page and a half of topicless-style babbling).
click to make it bigger

Bella

Well, I'd consider SAGE and CTSS 7090-kun's full sisters (since they all share a common hardware base) while PDP-1-chan would be his half-sister (since SAGE and CTSS are related to original!Whirlwind, while PDP-1-chan is related to TX-0 Project!Whirlwind).

Please no new threads, K - gratuitous threads are bad enough, but are REALLY annoying when they rehash things laid out in existing threads. If we made a new thread every time something got OT, by GAWD, we'd have a million and a half here.

Chocofreak13

if you think that, then that's what we'll go with, since you're more knowledgeable than me.

it aggravates me when we go OT in threads like this, since we have places for it, and if anyone new wanted to discuss, if they read up they'd be confused by the blabber.

besides, there's more information on the topics now. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Protip: nobody is gonna read up on this/wanna discuss. As far as OS-tan theorists go, it's pretty much me, you, Stew, Aurora, Kriz and Nej.... >>;;;;;

Chocofreak13

ouch, that hurt. way to stab. >:[
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

Krizy has been upgraded to theorist!

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on April 10, 2011, 04:35:02 PM
ouch, that hurt. way to stab. >:[

Count your blessings, back in MY day the only people who could be bothered to engage in discussions about non-canon OS-tans were Aurora and C-Chan... and we had members who not only didn't care about our work, but were trying to undermine it. : |