computers don't really inspire confidence anymore.....

Started by Chocofreak13, August 03, 2010, 10:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

-_____________________-;;

shitty is being stubborn in being reformatted.

this dopey computer ("family" computer) is TECHNICALLY the newest one in the house (except maybe my burnt-out laptop) and it makes Hac-chan look like speed racer.

the only other working computer, a 2k box w/ sp4, has no wireless, and, once again, kind of makes Hac-chan look like speed racer. (WHY HAVE SP4 IF NO WIRELESS CARD??)

and this stupid 98 box i was hacking apart won't open on the other side so i can get the hard drive out >____< *kick*

DISCUSS: how computers have been massive dissapointments/frusterations to you

"Master, have i failed you...?" "YES. YOU HAVE."
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

My Seagate 750GB hard drive died a little while ago with no logical reason at all. But I was able to just use a 1TB to replace it, also had everything backed up on another drive so everything is A O-K!

VonDaab

My parents Fujitsu Siemens desktop that died after 4 years,  so had to dig out its 12 year old predecessor, Intel Celeron, which runs fine, even though bit slow.

My sisters Fujitsu Siemens laptop that was unusable after 2 years. Pile of crap was full of ventilation holes, yet still overheating. Also the thing weighted a ton, but still didnt offer any too fancy specs.

Chocofreak13

my sis's dell went after 4 years. not only did the hard drive fry but the power connector dislodged, taking a chunk of the motherbard with it.
click to make it bigger

svx

My brother loved Asus.  He's... used Asus motherboards for years.  Years and years.

Motherboards are... like... ceiling fans.  Sometimes you'll be there.  Getting cooled down beneath the gentle breeze of a dizzily twirling mess of fan blades.  You'll be there, feeling refreshed as the air swirls around you...  And... other times?

Other times, you'll be standing there...  and you'll wish it sped faster. So you'll upgrade its BIOS so that it accepts newer AMD Phenom processors.  You'll... Go to the manufacturer's website. Emerson. Casablanca. Minka Aire. Hunter. Asus. Whichever manufacturer made your fan.  So you can upgrade its BIOS.

And then it will stop working after applying the latest BIOS upgrade. And that's what happened to my brother's ceiling fan. Motherboard, I mean. Ehh.

He buys Gigabyte now. And runs Intel processors. And he hates Asus passionately. This is the same reason that I hate Casablanca passionately. Ceiling fans are defeated by the invention of air conditioning units, A.C. units for those who speak technical jargon, which have failsafe mechanisms to reflash themselves from a file on a USB thumb drive.

You just... hold down the the Fn key while depressing the power button for five seconds. And the air conditioner will fix itself.

Nachos.

Chocofreak13

salsa.

still my computer upstairs refuses to reformat. i'd replace the motherboard had i the thought to actually keep the cables around for the old one (power switch connector, ect). NANAMI REFUSES TO LEAVE. i need to replace her with Saseko so she won't be a mute anymore, but nanami just won't go. even when i tried formatting the blank drive to dual boot them it wouldn't work.

i seriously need a new motherboard. >___<
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

DELTA has an ASUS motherboard, and her wireless has stopped working after the latest reformat; that's a Win failure, I think, though, so no blame. But I agree that their support isn't exactly the greatest there is...

At least she's recognizing the device now. -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

SleepyD

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"salsa.

still my computer upstairs refuses to reformat. i'd replace the motherboard had i the thought to actually keep the cables around for the old one (power switch connector, ect). NANAMI REFUSES TO LEAVE. i need to replace her with Saseko so she won't be a mute anymore, but nanami just won't go. even when i tried formatting the blank drive to dual boot them it wouldn't work.

i seriously need a new motherboard. >___<
Nanami LURVES YOU.

I just have a cheap ECS motherboard for my Nanami. Doing alright. Nothing major. Only problem was that it didn't have drivers for Win2k, so I couldn't dual boot 2k properly, and now poor 2k-tan's just sitting in her hard drive... waiting...

Might get a new board in the future. but not anytime soon. Saseko's in my laptop. The fan in there broke near one of the screws, sending plastic parts flying all over the inside.  Now it only boots up when it wants to, since the hard drive isn't always detected. And when it does start up, I'm prone to random BSODs. Especially if I nudge it or move it just a tiny bit.  Must keep it very very still...

I've moved out most of the stuff in there onto Nanami, and I've since graduated from uni, so I don't have as much of a need to use it now.  

Nanami is taking over in this room. >_>

Chocofreak13

my motherboard is an intel that i sorta hacked out of a computer i.........found. i swapped it out for my old AMD because this one had an extra ram slot (less expansion slots, but i only had one card for it anyway, so it's not much of a loss). this one's sound support only extends up to XP, though, which is why i wanted to swap it out.

and if she lurvs me, she should be willing to wait untill speedy's fixed. then she can move there. (fixing speedy the laptop is less expensive than i though, only $175. :3 will make a good college computer. -w-)
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

175 bucks? For like half again of that, you could buy a decent new one, you know....
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Xeon

I'm curious. How expensive are computer parts in the states?.

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

Dr. Kraus

Depends, a mobo can cost $50-$750, HDD $22-$3122, CPU $30-$1030, the list go's on and on

PizzaDrill

Quote from: "Xeon"I'm curious. How expensive are computer parts in the states?.
http://www.newegg.com/

Dr. Kraus

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"175 bucks? For like half again of that, you could buy a decent new one, you know....

dell
HP
ASUS
ACER
IBM

no, i really couldn't.
click to make it bigger