OS-tan in pencil

Started by HaloCapella, July 23, 2010, 09:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaloCapella

I said I drew your OS-tans so I'll be showing all of them through here. ^^ Also, I'll copy/paste the dA comment to here under most images.

~~~

"However, when i was sketching XP, I wanted to give her a name. Chisai Mikiki. I intend to give her some sort of power like psychokinesis but they turned out to be squares. ^^;"
*Chisai Mikiki (Xi-Psi experience)

"I drew Windows Vista-tan. I dunno what other name to call her for now but, might as well just call her Vista. I kind of changed the design a bit. I brought back the pigtails for her and removed the stripes on her socks. Also, I intend to give her some sort of marital art or melee combat rather then a scythe. ^^; EDIT3: I might as well just call her Fisuta Sanjigen. XP"
*I dunno why I gave her pigtails, I bring back to one tail i guess. Oh yeah, I did the screwed one. (Sanjigen = Three Dimensional)

"I named her as Kyuugo Odayaka (Nine-five/Aid and Gentle) I gave her a short skirt like everyone else, added gear and a bow and arrow. A weapon like that would be a good addition to her armaments. Now she's more action based. :3 enjoy."

"I named her Senko Kurouto (thousand-girl professional) I prefer to give her a skirt rather than a swimsuit ^^; and I gave her a large gun such as a sniper rifle. She looks really powerful compared with 95-tan i drew earlier, but actually 2k-tan is slow. Furthermore, I intend to give 2k-tan some sort of cyborg half of her body. I'll figure out the story later on. Yup, our fav meganekko os-tan is drew by me now. huhuhuu"

"Now we got Windows ME-tan. or who I named, Nayami Temoto. (trouble at home) Not much changes on her, really. I was about to make her ahoge by adding another but smaller ahoge on her head to make it like an "M" but... it might be too much i guess."

"The official OS-tan, Windows 7-tan or Nanami Madobe. Well, of course she's part of the roster. Not much changes on her from me either. ^^; Except by keeping the difference between 2k-tan and 7-tan but, you know. :P"

"Windows 98-tan or who I call, Hajimete "Hacchan" Noborizaka (first-time upgrade) ^^; I fixed the hair ornament but I kept the box. Also, I made her more of an active tomboy for a programmer like her."

"Windows 98 SE or Saidohan "Secchan" Noborizaka (second-time edition upgrade) ;p  I gave a little wave on her hair and gave her a bun instead. :3 I kept the can opener actually and obviously huhuu. I made her into a shy passive girl for a programmer like herself."

~~~
The fan-manga I was making. don't worry, it's only chapter zero so I can make changes before I make the story. (title will be "Keypunch")

*also, if I caused any out-of-characterness there, I can change that. ^^;

--

--

*more will come

----- ArtTwit  ----- ArtBlog ----- ArtGallery -----

stewartsage

Ooookay I know who you are now, I saw your comics when you added them to the OS-tan group on dA.  I'm afraid that critique isn't my specialty, so I suppose I should just settle for saying that I really like them.  Something about your style just works, especially with 95-sama.

Kiso

Oh.... NAAAAAAAAAOOOOOO I GET WHY THE NAMES ARE SUCH! lol

I read those on DA some time ago and was left wondering/confused, but never bothered to read the description. Either way, do mind alerting in the image at least to avoid confusing people that don't read descriptions/comments at all (like me). Anyways... do like the names... but feel weird due to not being used to them. Others might think the same.

Anyways... can't wait to see what you come up with next! GJ!!
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

i love the art. but i'm still bothered and upset. i realize it's a fan manga, and that gives you all the creative freedom you want, but when stuff like this happens it bothers me to some point. i'll give you an example:

last year, i was bored and googling randomly, so to find some new os-tan backgrounds (ones not hosted here) i googled it (or something similar, it WAS a year ago, after all ^^; ) i came upon something someone had posted on DA - a catgirl on a windows xp logo background. they said that they had come up with the idea of an "xp anime girl"; i scoffed at the notion of someone thinking they were being "original" with this crap. maybe they didn't know, but if they had googled "xp anime girl", they probably would have found this place and would have realized that someone already beat them to the idea.

i'm not trying to criticize your art, please don't think that. the art by itself is maginificent, i'm actually a little jealous of your art style. it's the names and new modifications (like the addition of "powers") that irks me. when i made my os-tan comik earlier this year, i had done the research, and was as accurate as i could be with the naming. the only weapons they had were ones they had already.

i like the art work--just don't consider it to start being the mainstream -tans now.

also, the list of the names i used, including all the ones that the girls already had (given nanami's example, and including the fact that all the windows OSes are related by either blood or marrage, the surname for all is "madobe".):

3.1: i never came up with a formal name since she wasn't featured in the episode of the comik i made, but her OSes codenames were "Janus" and "Sparta".

95: Chicago Madobe, aka Chi-sama (The codename for windows 95 was "Chicago". I added in the "Sama" since she seems to be the matriarch of the family.)

98: Hacchan Madobe. (Codename was "Memphis", for the record)

98SE: Secchan Madobe.

NT: I don't think NT was featured in the comik, but usually she just goes by "N.T". (according to wiki her codename was "New Technology", but was originally "N-Ten", which was the codename of the processor for which NT was developed.)

Inu-T: Inu-t Madobe. (Used the same name as the original character, she only made a small appearance. )

2000: Nichi Madobe. (I used "Nichi" because it means "Two-thousand". 2000 had no codename, but her service packs did. SP1 was "Asteroid", & SP2 was "Janus" (again). )

ME: Emuii Madobe. ("Emuii" is an actual name, the japanization of the name "Emmy" if i'm right. ME's codename is "Millennium", so not much help there.)

XP Pro: Saseko Madobe. (I realize "Saseko" is an insult, but it's pretty much become her name, like it or not. Her codename was "Whistler". )

XP Home: Homeko Madobe. (never made an appearance, but thought i'd provide it for informational purposes.)

XP Media Center Edition (aka XPMCE): Moseko Madobe. (" ")

XP Pro USA edition: Komepo Madobe. (" ")

Vista: Chivistan Madobe, Vistake Madobe, and/or Visbou Madobe. (Codename Longhorn, but longhorn already has a character. None of them appeared [yet?] )

7: Nanami Madobe. (Codename "Vienna")

i hate to be an anal-rentitive bitch, but i'd sleep better at night knowing you knew all of their "proper" names. (the ones that didn't have names to begin with have no "proper" name, but in terms of the XP line and other who did, they DID have names.)

sorry. your art is wonderful. it's just the tweaks that annoy me. they always do, regardless of who or what is being done. sorry.
click to make it bigger

Kiso

I'd rather "meh" the whole matter of changing things like their "names" and "abilities" over the mere fact that fandom is fandom is fandom. It was fans who decided to given weird/insulting names like "Saseko" to the OSes based on the experiences and biases they might have had once upon a time. It was fans who decided that they wanted all the glory of "coming up with the new OS-tan" that brought about the "Vistan apocalypse of disagreement" it was the fans who decided that "each point version of OSX should have a different character based on their codenames (like Vista and 7). It is fans who are not giving much of a damn about Nanami Madobe because they "felt like Microsoft was taking a fan thing from the fans".

Just let him have his fun, some might like what he does and others might not. I always vote "whatever goes" for things like this. :D
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

i feel bad about being so bitchy; i posted all that for informational purposes mainly. most people don't know that they had names intended.

i realize that it always was and will be fandom, but when a fan-made character gets a name over the years, it becomes their name--an official thing. i respect the artist's right to create. but saying xp-tan has a different name than "saseko", well, that's not really true.

if the artist adapts the existing character into a new character, then that's fine. but if we take away the character's name, well, i just feel it's wrong. what if we started calling Moot (4chan) "Applebutt" or "Spankypants"? or waha (4chan, nijiura, some random hentai) "Superwhoo" or "Pink Young Company President"?

it's just my personal feelings, anyway. i'll go.
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Aaah don't worry about thing like that... if he managed to fin the images of the characters, to the point of having found actual famous depictions of the tans. He may as well be "in-the-know" of their names, but found them either uninteresting or insulting ("Saseko"? Really insulting for an OS that cleaned up its act post-SP2.).

But yeah... I do have to agree with what you say... and do understand your points. :D

HaloCapella

Hehe, thanks for your posts. ^^; And it's alright, Choco. Actually, i appreciated your posts. I guess I was being too newbie to the OS-tan realm and went too direct onto drawing them then modifying them. At least the first 3 pages of that comic was chapter 00, so I can still make some changes before i get straight into the story. I guess the ones i drew pretty much not OStans but they're just girls who looks like them. But the characters ain't mine anyways so I knew I'd run to something like this. ^^; Well, after i finish drawing something for someone's birthday, I'll continue the comic and we'll see what'll happen next. :3

----- ArtTwit  ----- ArtBlog ----- ArtGallery -----

Chocofreak13

^^ all i wanted was for you to know that they have history behind them. it's good to stay true to the original for the most part (in my opinion). don't forget to post the comiks, ok? they sound like a treat, pear-chan. ^^
click to make it bigger

Kiso

lol I forgot to mention... props to you, OP, for having awesome sig and avatar!!! Paru-sama is pure awesome! :D

Dr. Kraus

YOU EARNED THIS. BRO.

Chocofreak13

2nd time you've posted that. xD

@halo: thankyou for understanding what i was trying to say. ^^
@kiso: net idol chiu chiu! xD
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I like your take on the OS-tans, and awesome artwork! You're good with coming up with human names for the characters too! :)

My favorite of those you drew is 2K-tan, who looks so awesomely badass with the long coat, huge sword and gun! :D

The OS-tans are an entirely fan-made thing without much of a true canon. The closest thing to canon are the Windows-tans plus MS DOS-tan, Mac-tan, OS9-tan and Linux-tan who are recognized by all OS-tan fans, and the general characterizations for each of them.

Modifying the characters is okay (see all the different variants in the character designs from artist to artist) as long as they aren't changed beyond recognition, or claim the entire OS-tan series as one's own.

Chocofreak13

it's the sort of thing that bothers mee >__<
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Don't be. It isn't as if doing something "out of the blue" is going to mean everyone will accept it. Look at, out prime example, Nanami. She is not accepted by many people for being a "corporate/hostile takeover" of a fan thing, yet she has a relatively good following on Pixiv and Wakachan and the half-dozen people that know about OS-tans on DeviantArt. I like her too, but I also like that other 7-tan that appeared before her.

Same shit happened with Vista. I still hate the Vistake and Visbou renditions for not having some of the visual takes taken to true value (like Chivistan/Chichivistan, my preferred choice). But somehow, most of the Japanese found their weird "screw-on-the-head" puns and the "wannabe XP" clothing style with different colors to be more attractive. Ugh...

But you do get my point, do you? Wait, what was what you were being bothered about again? O_O??