The Retrocomputing Thread

Started by Bella, April 28, 2010, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Pick and choose.  Never buy a hoarde like that, too many potential pitfalls.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Unfortunately he won't piecemeal it. Otherwise I'd probably just try to take the working ][ setups, the DEC micro and the workstations, and maybe other micros and the Tandys. The dozen or so Classic Macs, for instance, have no appeal to me in this situation.

Krizonar

I'll take the dozen or so classic Macs o3o

In other news, I'm cleaning my Macintosh SE out a bit to make it more spify.

Armed with flashlight, cleaning wipes and an air compressor, I shall pierce the heavens in cleanliness.

Krizonar

all done!

The age really showed in the floppy drive, looked like it had been collecting dust for 25 years or something.

Dr. Kraus

I have an IBM screw driver like that with two sides (Long flat head one side the other short Phillips head)

Cleaned out my Macintosh G3 blue/white version and it was dusty as hell! (Also upgraded the ram a bit to 512MB and not 255MB or something like that)

Bella

I is writing from K8, my dying 2004 eMachines 6800 series running Mint right now...... cause my iMac's decided to be a bitch about going online.

*SO NOSTALGIC*

Dr. Kraus

My dad made me take a test on Windows ME, oh god it was terrible (Because the test was to virtual ME and do some data recovery and all that). I must of crashed close to 15 times in VB.

Quote from: Bella on January 16, 2011, 03:14:50 PM
I is writing from K8, my dying 2004 eMachines 6800 series running Mint right now...... cause my iMac's decided to be a bitch about going online.

*SO NOSTALGIC*

Funny enough I'm using my old Emachine because my Gateway doesn't want to go on teh interwebz ether!

Bella

That's freaky Dr. K ><

Yeah, the eMachines decided to start spontaneously shutting down (as she usually does) so now I've been reduced to using the only other computer at my disposal that goes online: Dy, a 2005 HP. She's slow as fsck but surprisingly reliable. = =;;

Annnnnnnd now the iMac has a LinuxMint liveCD stuck inside the CDR drive, she won't boot off of it 'cause it's a 32-bit edition (WHY'D I THINK I DOWNLOADED THE 64-BIT ONE?!), I can't get it out and booted back into OSX. Damned Macs and their lack of manual CDR drive controls. ><

EDIT:

I got the CDR out of the drive. Fanks to the advice of the dudes at Rockingham Park Apple Store.

EDIT PART DEUX:

Huh, I got my iMac online using an old router that I used to use for my wireless network but its wireless transmitter quit and now it's just a wired router... weird.

Krizonar

Used the old paper clip method, did you?

Bella

*shutters at the thought of shoving paperclip into slot drive*

No, the old repeatedly click on mouse buttons at startup method.

Krizonar

You don't put it IN the slot drive, you shove it into a small hidden hole that manually pops the outdated disc thing out.

I had it happen to one of our old Macs at school once, so I promptly questioned them why they put the CD in backwards (this kept them busy for a little bit) as I popped it out with my paper clip.

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Krizonar on January 16, 2011, 06:32:42 PM
You don't put it IN the slot drive, you shove it into a small hidden hole that manually pops the outdated disc thing out.

I had it happen to one of our old Macs at school once, so I promptly questioned them why they put the CD in backwards (this kept them busy for a little bit) as I popped it out with my paper clip.

Old Slot imac's don't do that I think, from what I remember because my old green iMac dosen't do that 0.0

Krizonar

I believe it is hidden on the side of the old retro iMacs :)
(at least, I have one retro iMac and it's on the side)

Bella

Oh but I'm not talking about a retro iMac.... I'm talking about a 2009 24'' aluminum model. >>;;

Krizonar

Yesyes Xd mr dr professor Kraus was talking about an old iMac, but they are still on newer ones.
They're also on some very old machines, I found where you stick the paper clip to eject floppies from my SE.