Main Menu

Dual-Boot

Started by IanDanKilmaster, February 21, 2010, 08:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanDanKilmaster

So I know a few of you here are running or at least have run a dual-booting system.  Since I recently came in possession of a nice upgrade, I too would like to try this setup.

You see, I just got a second hard drive, and I want to have a separate OS installed on it than my current hard drive.  My plan is to use the OEM reinstallation CD that came with my Gateway to install XP on one hard drive, and have Xubuntu installed on the other.  My main concern is how to go about backing up my home directory because I'd like to start a fresh installation, just with certain settings retained (currently running Kubuntu).

I know I'm going to have trouble running Xubuntu as my system has IDE controllers, and Windows will want to be installed on the master drive (it refuses the sub role, as it were).  I found a guide sometime ago that had a workaround, but now I can't find it.  I'm sure I can find another given time, but if you guys have any advice from experience on this matter I'd certainly appreciate it.

I'd also like to know any problems you have encountered dual-booting.  Are there any risks I need to be made aware of?  Any particular perks you care to mention?

Thanks in advance.

The Choice of a New Generation.

Chocofreak13

i too could benefit from this discussion. i would offer advice, but the only thing i remember about dual booting is that
1. you either need 2 drives or to partition one to hold 2 OSes;
2. that if you are using 2 drives you should configure your BIOS accordingly;
3. if you used 1 drive it will give you options on which os to boot upon startup;
4. that if you have a seperate drive configuration that you should also set your jumpers accordingly.

sorry i can't be more help.....:[ if i find out more info from my friends i'll post it. :3
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Partitioning tends to be quite simple, but it's easier on spacing to use double disks.

Most BIOSes tend to be quite easy to setup if you know what you're doing - efficient dual-booting can, however, be quite a pain. Easiest way is to just dual-disk, and then change your BIOS first boot setting as you go...dunno how else it could be done but perhaps a choosing could be setup on a better BIOS.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

I'm trying to dual-boot on my legacy PC so I can run more games.  At the minute, I have just Windows ME on one hard drive and an extra blank one I want to put 2000 on.  But, when I tried to install 2k, it kept coming up with an "NTLDR is missing" error.  This is the first time I've tried to dual-boot with multiple drives, usually I just have multiple partitions on one.
I know ME needs to be installed on the first drive, but do I need to set the BIOS to boot from the second drive (for 2k) first?  Any help would be appreciated.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

whichever drive you want to boot first should be the primary boot directory in your BIOS.

(basically, if your c:\ drive has 2k, and you want her to boot first, then prgram your BIOS to boot from c:\ first. )

if you still get errors, try looking at the physical workup of the computer, not just the digital. people always forget to look at the cables and jumpers on their drives. ^^;
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Well, with Linux, the trick is to hijack GRUB (one of the Linux bootloaders) and make Windows one of the available boot options.  I lost the instructions on how to do this, and I don't even know what to do with a Windows-only installation.

You could use the BIOS trick as they're referring to, but I personally prefer the idea of using a bootloader to start up.

NejinOniwa

Indeed, bootloaders are often quite a lot more handy and less tedious to work with.

With that said, I must say I'm totally at loss as to what to do with the older OS'es, as the only dualboot I've set up properly is my wasteheaded XP+XP64-on the same partition-dualboot on old Delta...which was quite crazy indeed.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

IanDanKilmaster

So yeah, with Windows you'd have to pull some sort of trick with the MBR if you don't want to fiddle with the BIOS every time, but I'm not sure how to even do that (or if it's even safe).

I'm pretty sure I've seen older computers with dual-boot Windows OSes before, though.  I don't know what the deal with that is...

Chocofreak13

sometimes it's easier to just partition a drive. i believe it gives you the option of which to start in that case.

either that, or you could work out a system with the jumpers on 2 different drives...... :\
click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Partitioning can be easier, but it's really dependent on the situation.

So to update you guys, I now have a dual-boot set up with two hard drives, noitch!  It seems to be working just fine now, but I haven't installed XP yet.  Right now, I'm just running two hard drives with virtually the same OSes running on them.  I would have already tried installing Windows, but I'm having a small problem.  You see, I not only salvaged a hard drive for my monstress, but I also managed to pick up an old Radeon 7000 for it as well.  Yes... it's old... very, very, very old.  The problem is, I can't seem to figure out if my new OS is actually using this new video card or the onboard memory.  When I type in glxinfo, it doesn't give me any useful information.  Anyway, I'm currently looking for help in the 'buntu forums on it, and once I've got this figured out, I'm kicking the file migration into high gear and finally installing XP.

I'll keep you updated and provide instructions once I'm finished.

IanDanKilmaster

UPDATE:  dual-boot setup complete!

Preface: This guide assumes a few things, most importantly, that you already know how to work around inside your computer.  If you don't already have experience taking the cover off your computer, safely removing and inserting pieces, shifting jumpers on your hard drive, not using magnetic tools, and properly grounding yourself so you don't fry your shit, then you probably shouldn't be using this guide (If your HD doesn't have a label on it explaining where to move your jumpers for dual master/slave, feel free to im me and I'll try to help you find a solution).  This guide also assumes you have some experience in the installation of OSes, depending on the OS, this can be hand-waved as newer installation discs are almost idiot-proof and hold your hand through the whole process (If you need help with this, I might be able to help too).  This guide also assumes you're using two IDE HDs, if you aren't, this guide probably won't work for you.  Finally, this guide assumes you're attempting to dual-boot Windows and Linux, namely XP and Xubuntu (the OSes I have installed), that being said, you might be able to modify the guide to work for whatever setup you're using.

TL;DR - This guide isn't idiot-proof and therefore isn't for everybody.  I might be able to help you a little though (don't expect much).

P.S. - Steps 4 and 9 are optional, feel free to skip them if you're pressed for time.

How I did it:
Step 1:  Assign the jumpers of both hard drives to the master position, we'll only have one of them hooked up at a time, so this isn't a problem atm.
Step 2:  Connect the hard drive you want to install Windows to, leave the other unconnected for now.
Step 3:  Start your computer and insert your Windows installation disk, it should've come with instructions (not to mention the on-screen prompts), so I'm not covering this.
Step 4:  Once your Windows installation is complete, feel free to perform any updates or any neccessary installs (it's either now or later, y'know?).
Step 5:  Shut down your computer and disconnect it from it's power source, 'cos you're going to need to open it up again to re-assign the jumpers on the Windows HD and plug in the other hard drive.
Step 6:  Once you've assigned the jumpers on the Windows HD to the slave position and connected both hard drives, reconnect and start your computer and insert your Linux LiveCD (you might be able to do this with another Windows disc, but I'm using Linux).
Step 7:  Start the HD install program and follow the prompts, pay careful attention to which HD you're installing to.  By default, the drive in the master position should be selected, but be sure to look at all the info on the HD selection screen to make sure it matches the HD you want to install to.
Step 8:  Proceed with the installation, just follow the on-screen instructions.  The LiveCD should detect the Windows HD and ask if you'd like to import files and settings, this I leave to you (since it is a fresh installation, would there really be anything you need there?).
Step 9:  Same as Step 4, just with Linux (or not) instead.  Really, it's up to you... I do recommend updating both as soon as you're done though.
Step 10:  Moment of truth time, reboot your computer to see if your GRUB menu includes an entry for Windows, if it doesn't that's where Step 11 comes in.
Step 11:  Boot into your Linux OS and open your GRUB menu (or whatever bootloader you're using) with the text editor of your choice.  I know I should be using vi, but I used mousepad.

gksu mousepad /boot/grub/menu.lst

After you've opened the text file, insert exactly this code at the end of the document:

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0)  (hd1)
map (hd1)  (hd0)
chainloader +1

This is called drive-mapping, and you'll need it for the GRUB to properly recognize the slave drive as a boot option.  Feel free to replace or modify Windows with the OS you're using (type 95/98/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 after Windows in the title).

Make sure to replace:

hiddenmenu

with

#hiddenmenu

To comment out the hiddenmenu, so you won't have to hit the ESC key to pull up the boot menu.

Now save your GRUB file and close it.  Restart your computer aaaand viola!  You should now have a bootloader that allow you to dual-boot.  Select your Windows installation to test it.

As this is my first time doing this kind of thing, I'm not sure what to tell you if things don't work out.  If you did everything properly, your results should be as good as mine.

I got my info from this thread > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/146949-dual-boot-xubuntu-windows-xp-2-hard-drives.html

EDIT: Old video card is fail... still can't seem to get it to work for some reason ><.

Bella

Sounds like quite the feat, there.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

IanDanKilmaster

Quote from: "Bella"Sounds like quite the feat, there.

Oh it's nothing, electronics repair has been handed down the Kilmaster line for generations!

if only...

The only feat was sitting in front of a computer for half a day (literally, twelve hours), eight of which was upgrading SP1 all the way to SP3 and beyond.  The rest was installing other crap (I really don't miss having to use anti-malware programs ><), only to find that I couldn't get my master drive to boot.  All because of this one little broken jumper, so I had to postpone my "Mission Accomplished" until yesterday when I replaced the jumper and got everything up-and-running.  I think I've lost seven pounds working on this computer... it's amazing I didn't pass out for a day.

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"thankyou. :3

You're welcome, Choco-chan.  I hope you find this guide useful.

hachi

hm, I've never done dual boot with two separate hard disks before. I've always done mine on a single high capacity drive partitioned into 2/3 depending on what I'm planing. With a separate drive as storage.

With the experience I've had with my dual boots, windows takes care of the boot loader/OS selection screen just fine and it really isn't until you introduce Linux into the setup that thing start getting complicated.
(this being on a single drive setup with partitions)

But, the GRUB loader work well too; the only thing I'm not so sure on is dual booting OS's older than XP, though I'm sure it would work the same way.