Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by Red-Machine, July 11, 2009, 07:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Has anyone else here tried Windows 7?  I've been messing around with it recently and wanted to discuss my feelings on it.

Well, first off, I think they did a good job with the installer.  Very easy to use, especially for less techno-savvy people.

Though, I was expecting a bit more than a revised taskbar and DirectX 11.  It still uses NTFS, when we were promised WFS for Vista.  They say it is a minor update to Windows Vista, but Windows Vista was only supposed to be "an interrim build between XP and the next OS".  Okay, so we're getting a minor update to an interrim build?  That's about as pointless as 98SE and the 95 OSRs, and at least you could buy 98SE.

I don't think 7 qualifies as a new OS, they should just call it Vista SE or Vista OSR1.  I'd probably still stick with Vista anyway unless they offered it as a free update (why the HELL didn't they do that for the 95 OSR's!?!?).

Discuss.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Kiso

Actually... I think Vista had way too many new features to even be considered an interim to XP. I actually consider it a full new OS.

Seven however, is as they are calling it out to be... a minor update. They just seemingly wanted to stabilize on what Vista had done... except they don't wanted the name tied to it... thus seven. The only real upgrade was the taskbar, the "ribbonized" GUI of Wordpad and the added functions to the calculator. Anything else was pretty much optimized from Vista or added in a sort of gimmicky manner. Yet, the best feature of all is the actual fix to the UAC... which had become the annoyance to everything that is user firendly.

I still recommend it to people though... even though it's just "Vista done right". At least peeps won't be questioned about doing every single thing. lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Red-Machine

Well, personally, I'm sticking with Vista.  There are several features I HATE about 7.  Such as the new Windows Media Player.  It seems that they are going back to the old standard of having everything seperate.  You watch a video, and it will appear in a seperate window; I don't want that, I want everything intergrated.  I also prefer Vista's GUI better; I like it when things are rounded, not squared.

Nuker

Quote from: "Kiso"Actually... I think Vista had way too many new features to even be considered an interim to XP. I actually consider it a full new OS.

Seven however, is as they are calling it out to be... a minor update. They just seemingly wanted to stabilize on what Vista had done... except they don't wanted the name tied to it... thus seven. The only real upgrade was the taskbar, the "ribbonized" GUI of Wordpad and the added functions to the calculator. Anything else was pretty much optimized from Vista or added in a sort of gimmicky manner. Yet, the best feature of all is the actual fix to the UAC... which had become the annoyance to everything that is user firendly.

I still recommend it to people though... even though it's just "Vista done right". At least peeps won't be questioned about doing every single thing. lol

The words in bold being the key words. I still can't manage to wrap my mind around how much Windows 7 is faster than Vista...

And, btw, am I the only one who's pretty much addicted to Aero Snap and Aero Peek by now?

Red-Machine

Aero Peek is good, but I've not really got much experience with Snap.  If any of my windows aren't maximised, I usuall place them in different areas depending on what they are.  i.e. instant messengers get placed in the far right, documents in the middle and music players at the bottom.

NejinOniwa

Hay guise, Win7 RTM release get. >:3

I'll be installing it on LAMBDA once a good crack gets up.

Anyways, my constant dualscreen abuse makes me so used to not having to do much space-management at all, just put things wherever I want them -w-;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Kiso

AS expected of multi-screen users! I think. lol

I mean... I used to do that when I had my laptop and an extra screen... now I can't 'cause my laptop died an honorable death and I have to use my old compy now. ^^;

Anyways... what is this Aero Snap thing again? Was it that thing that arranged two windows side-by-side on the monitors when you bring one to a corner? Anyways, I like dragging my window out of fulls creen... I actually do it out of whim and to amuse myself when I don't feel like playing Chess Titans (at last they are actually adding real games... unlike that Purble Place crud... kinda' missing Pinball though).

I just don't like to concentrate on too manything as of late... back in the day I could deal with many open windows and chat in four separate programs... as well as RP, use Photoshop... and sometimes play MMO's. lol I was a multitasking freak. I want to do that again with 7... just to see how much of it can it handle. lol
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

NejinOniwa

Well, those algorithms are definitely getting themselves a test pretty soon. I ain't sticking with VistAIDS a second longer than I need too, that's damn sure.

And as I've got DELTA up functioning again as well, I've gota total of 4 simultaneously active screens in my room...my desktop is damn buried _W_;
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

is it any good? (i lost my blank cds that i got for xmas, without i can't download. wanna find em quick, a free os is on the line! )
click to make it bigger

Kiso

If you mean the OS... definitely! I think it's even better than XP.

However, Windows 7 ain't free. Well... technically, it is... until spring of next year or so. however you can get it under the table... if you know what I mean. >_^

Nuker

If you live in USA, France, UK or Germany, you can pre-order it for 50 bucks (Home) or 100 bucks (Professional). There will be similar prices for college students and the like... EU users get to buy the full version at upgrade price until December, too. There's also a Home Premium family pack with 3 licenses at 129$...

It's not free, that's true, but it's definitely one of the cheapest OS's MS has ever made.

Chocofreak13

damn...heard a rumor (actually, i think i heard it on tv) that they were giving it out for free till about october.
i'm not gonna pey, so never mind. i'm stuck on xp, all future versions leave a bad taste in my mouth thanks to vista.
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Please... nothing really comes free from a company that stands to make money out of their products. As for the Vista bad taste... forget about it cause Win7 basically blows Vista out of the water and pretty much owns XP.

In my case, I am actually waiting to buy my new laptop until after they release the OS. Although I have no problems with Vista myself... I like new stuff on my systems.

Red-Machine

We're only allowed to pay upgrade prices because there IS NO UPGRADE VERSION IN EUROPE.  M$ got sued by the EU for abusing their monopoly on internet browsers and media players, so all future versions of Windows sold in Europe will come without IE or WMP.  This means that we will not be allowed to upgrade older versions that have it installed, so I guess M$ felt sorry for us and offered it at the lower price.

AnimeTheme

The EU ruling is stupid. So how do you get your non-IE browser when you have no browser to download it... LOL
Bring OS-tans and other Anime mascots to your Windows desktop! Check out my Windows Gadget Gallery!