OS Family Tree Theory

Started by Chocofreak13, March 13, 2009, 11:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Machine

Yeah, Neptune was a bitch to get running properly.  She comes as standard with a crippled version of IE 5.5, which can't do anything.  You update to IE 6 SP1 and it will crash a fair amound of times.  It also comes with DirectX 7, so you try to update it to DirectX 9.0c and it hates you.  I managed to get it work by copying some files from my ME partition.

Long story short: she's stable, but only as long as you're careful and have a copy of ME/2k to hand in case you need some files.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Chocofreak13

if given the option, i'd dual (or even tri-) boot xp and me (and 2k). my sister knows some people who still run ME due to the fact that there are some EPIC games that were made for ME and ONLY ME. so in order to play them, they have to keep her around. maybe that's why she's sometimes pictured w/ a game controller ^^

i wish i could have kept 2k-tan. she really was reliable and strong, and while the graphics were a little slack, she had screensavers, which i really liked (xp-pro has none :\ ). sadly, i was stuck in a catch-22: in order to use wireless internet, she had to be at sp4, which you need the internet to upgrade to. :[

hmm, my dream laptop: an alienware area 51 running windows ME.... >:]
click to make it bigger

OS Freak

Hey chocofreak. Need help making an os three? I'm planning on doing one hopefully implementing major versions and I will try to use pics which will be cool. got a little problem. There is no OS Tan of Microsoft Home Server or Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs I need help on those two.
Death as come. 2K Chan has but killed in extended Support. She has finally become Unsupported She is finally fully rejected by her Birth company. It\'s so sad...

Chocofreak13

sure, sounds great. :3
but it's not version 3; it's version 4 at this point, if you read every single little stupid posting you will notice that i made a ver. 3 but never uploaded it.
so it's version 4. hmm, i should start ^^;
and yeah, we should cross notes on those two. for a server, perhaps homeko+saba...?
click to make it bigger

Red-Machine

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"if given the option, i'd dual (or even tri-) boot xp and me (and 2k). my sister knows some people who still run ME due to the fact that there are some EPIC games that were made for ME and ONLY ME. so in order to play them, they have to keep her around. maybe that's why she's sometimes pictured w/ a game controller ^^

i wish i could have kept 2k-tan. she really was reliable and strong, and while the graphics were a little slack, she had screensavers, which i really liked (xp-pro has none :\ ). sadly, i was stuck in a catch-22: in order to use wireless internet, she had to be at sp4, which you need the internet to upgrade to. :[

hmm, my dream laptop: an alienware area 51 running windows ME.... >:]

What are these epic games?

And I quite agree.  The laptop I'm gonna buy off my boss I will put ME on, and maybe 2k.
Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

OS Freak

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"for a server, perhaps homeko+saba...?

Quite an idea. Homeserver is designed to connect home appliances like with wireless it can connect blutooth, cell phones tablet pcs xbox 360s and was designed to personally connect XP and Vista pcs. so perhaps a saba homeko + premium. If so wich vistan should we use to cross with Homeko? I'm bad at drawing. This could be a good start here: http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=23 We need to make at least a descent one not a fish girl as we could use the bottom of her to represent her cross and features instead of a tail as we all see in nt, 2k, 03, 08 servers.

We need to mix her up a little more and choose another hair color and take those XP off of her and put HS there.
As for Fundamentals for legacy pc's it's a new one: we could start the design based as; she is a XP but stripped down and compact able to run with ME & 2K specs. It's a cross between homeko and promeko as it does not contain media center but does not have homeko's program access and defaults, paint nor Professional's outlook express and usb support. It needs a new clothing hairstyle and color and attitude.
Death as come. 2K Chan has but killed in extended Support. She has finally become Unsupported She is finally fully rejected by her Birth company. It\'s so sad...

Kiso

Uhm... guys, if you want a good family tree reference... look into this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windows_Family_Tree.svg

I guess it's the most accurate way of portraying the Windows family tree... no cure of it myself. It doesn't have the unreleased versions though. I guess you can get those in between the actual family tree.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Chocofreak13

kiso, thankyou! <3 this will realy help. :3

freaky-san (idk if you is maile or female yet @___@), i disagree. she is a server, and should match. but i understand where you're coming from, there was a concept-tan i did for win 2k pro server (something like that) that i did but never uploaded (picture a schoolgirl, but instead of sailor collar there is giant tail that looks like shrimp sushi hanging down. (2k deals w/ food alot, so i decided to follow suit.)

what if we design her as more of a mermaid and less of a fish with a human head? (honestly, when i put it like that, it's making me think of knoppix-kun. DEAR GOD THE HORROR!! THE HORROR!!! O_____O; )
i'll draw a concept sketch and upload it tomorrow. (oh shi-- just remembered i need to take a break from drawing cause i'm showing signs of carpel tunnel. eh......oh well, i'll draw anyway. i'll get injured in the line of duty, how nobel. -w- )
btw, i'll mix in some vista, but not that vista, she's always been a little slutty to me. nin-vista was always mah favorite. <3

i'm printing the info, i'll start tonite.

Added after 1 hours 16 minutes:

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-231.html

this could help. stumbled on it by accident while searching google for pics of the various DoSes that lived w/ 3.1 before the split-up.
click to make it bigger

OS Freak

We definitely should use the small 100 x 100 pictures of the tans to make a visible timeline but your appreciation of drawing full bodies or scenery would be greatly admired. I'll see what I can do. if this timeline is done the way I picture it it might become a wallpaper due to it's size. hopefully i'll be able to fit them in honoring almost all os versions. I'm still doubtful about including betas as I don't know much about them and betas have no pictures except Longhorn. and I don't plan to include crippled versions of windows because some people dislike their bundled original versions like Vista P and XP KN and such other. If Mac isn't sued for including safari or quicktime as their software then neither should microsoft for their IE and Media Player, period. Windows needs to come with at least some stuff DUH! if it comes without an internet explorer How the hell are you going to connect to the internet in order to download and install firefox, safari, chrome, opera, mosaic, netscape, flock, seamonkey, avant, maxthon etc? and lets say i got many CDs i want to hear music and I don't have a player such as media player to listen and because I don't have ie installed i cannot donwload it nor download Itunes, winamp, vlc, quictime player, real player, adobe player, because i don't have IE either. Beats me but those anti microsoft empire activists are rather lacking common sense. Justice for all. I think I derailed from the topic there ... 0_0

Chocofreak13

you're getting off topic, dearie~

at any rate, this is where our collaboration splits--i hand draw all my work. (even on the computer, thankyou tablet.)
just an update, i have completed the basic laydown for 2/4 parts of the tree. (left is servers and other pieces, such as antiviruses and whatnot.) i have also sketched a quick concept for homserver.
(w/ the arrow)

alas, freak-san, this is where our collaboration parts. and to everyone, i know you mean well, but do remember, this thread was started from an ANIME-STYLE stand point of the family tree, NOT the real life release dates.

will post ver. 4 of family tree soon. freak-san, you're still welcome to make your own, we've gotten multiple versions, after all.
click to make it bigger

Kiso

Uh... shouldn't home server be wearing maid style clothing? You know.... 'cause serving's the main function of the OS in relation to the others... she'd be the OS-tan's maid-like companion.

Anyways... interesting design... mermaid. I'd like to see one of those colored.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

OS Freak

Ahh nice I'll try to draw too to see if I come with something. Yes Homeserver might be maid but she is a server. might has well make it a little more professinal. How about a secretary type? And yes to Chocofreak you might upload your. I'll work on mine. I'll let you know as soon as possible. perhaps we could merge our or do a 3rd combined one. As for flpc i'll tackle that. Also let me look at  any missing versions of windows. Catcha later. Thanks for the support. Don't give up, I won't either.

Kiso

IF you want to look at the complete Windows family (including CE and Mobile) Wikipedia has an entry of every codenamed OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_codenames

OS Freak

Ahh nice but If I include those the OS three will not even fit in one paper. Here's my try at FLPC Design's.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2403/scan0001s.jpg

And this is a link to the OS three I'm making, it's only a made up one so it's not official. I has lots of errors and giberrish written.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6691/scan0002bhm.jpg

Chocofreak13

DAMN yours is complicated. i'll revise mah design, i'm just stuck on a kogal obsession lately. ^^ for hair colour i'm thinking maybe a light sand colour like nin-vista and XPMCE (the cat-eared version).

btw, i'm bored, so i'm doing what you were asking in your pic and revising the sketch. i'll upload tomorrow. (idk how good it'll be, my artz suck.) i'll also work on a revistion of the one i did.
click to make it bigger