SCRAP PAPER.

Started by NejinOniwa, February 26, 2009, 08:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

Those two are nice work as usual, and the Leopard piece is particularly intriguing for me...for various reasons. >:3

I'm just gonna leave this little snippet here...
Quote from: "Snippet"The 9th of May, 2014
13:11

Dizziness came over the teal-clad figure as it manifested into something more tangible than the blur of bent spacetime it'd been just before. Immediately, a feeling of misplacement edged into her mind â€" this was a natural effect of time-traveling, which she was rather used to â€" but soon changed into something worse; namely, the feeling of being in the totally wrong place, or at least, at the entirely wrong point in time.

As it was, the person who was lounging in the chair in front of her wore the bored expression of a cat with nothing to do â€" and her sudden appearance didn't even make the woman flinch. The outfit had her off track for a while, but it didn't take very long for Leopard to realize who was in front of her. Unfortunately, this did very little to her understanding of the situation.
“Snow? Why- when- oh, hell, what's going on?”

The oddly-clad woman was Snow Leopard, who was supposed to be a version of herself from far beyond the timeframes she'd managed to visit â€" she wasn't very inclined to believe the fact (or at least accept that her personality would descend to such pitfall levels like that) but there wasn't much else to do than accept it. When she'd first met her, her elder version had made sure there were no doubts whatsoever of that. Very sure.
“Is it really that hard to figure it out, hun? Surely you should've had ample opportunities to get used to it, by now â€" whenever the now in particular would be.”

Leopard gave her older self one of the few looks limited to time-travelers (the I-don't-need-to-answer-your-bloody-question-because-you-already-have-experienced-this-and-know-the-answer-I'm-gonna-give-you-and-are-just-asking-it-to-annoy-me-look) and let out a frustrated sigh. Then, in accordance with old tradition, she focused her thoughts and tried again.

The 26th of May, 2014
13:22

The feeling of misplacement didn't even have time to manifest this time â€" all it took was the smug one-liner from Snow's smiling mouth, and her head was banged into what felt mostly like a wall of shame. “I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is-” She didn't have time to listen to her older self's antics, though, and tossing all caution to the side she made a third attempt, praying solemnly to whatever code would be of use that it would work as predicted this time.

The 10th of October, 2010
13:32

Whoever thought up this entire “even multiples of 10,5” thing must have been a total asshat.
Leopard's first thought as she was bent into existence echoed several times through the space of her mind before she finally could see what was in front of her â€" this time, what was supposed to be there. “Highness. I have a report.” She gave a  bow to the figure sitting on the chair where previously â€" or as it were, afterward â€" Snow had been lounging around. Come to think of it, why was Snow there alone, then? Leopard soon realized the direction this was going in â€" these days, most of her internal monologues ended up somehow blaming Snow for pretty much all the misfortune in her world â€" and focused at the matter at hand.

I say nothing more of this matter. Yet. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

HUZZAH FOR SNIPPET! And giving me a good nickname for Snow Leopard-tan. That kind of inspired me to keep up with my fic, although it probably isn't going to play up the Snow Leopard angle for some time. Well. Not directly that is.

For now, there's going to be some explorations of OS-tan history (note the title, ahem); I'm afraid this is gonna take me close to Mary Sue territory ("OMG ADVANCED COMPUTERS EXISTED IN THE 1960s?!") so I'm going to have to carefully watch each step I make. =v=

stewartsage

Long story short: Bells + Me + YIM = Weird Writing Plots hooray.  This week's theme: What if, for some reason, we were the opposite gender.  Yes.  Sit back and enjoy.  Or not.  I don't care.

Wedged into one of the lounge’s scattered chairs, a tallish brunette flipped the page of her book with a little more force than required.  Thankfully the whole page didn’t fall out settling instead for a protesting *scritch* as a small tear appeared at the bottom near the spine.  A worn paperback saved from the bargain pile at a yard sale the black block letters pronounced that the intent young woman was reading ‘Fail-Safe’ by Eugene Burdick as well as someone whose name was now obscured by layers of smeared tape.  Not exactly standard fair for a teenage girl, though taking into consideration that she was reading it ‘standard’ could be disregarded.  An interesting paradox.

Apparently tired with her reading she dropped the book onto a laptop case leaning against the base of the chair.  Attempting to lean back the girl snapped back forward with a wince of pain that sent the edges of her unbuttoned cardigan flying.  Fortunately there was nothing else in her lap, and the glasses had stayed put.  Directing a fair amount of swearing at the offending arm rest, she swung her stiff legs and let them drop to the floor allowing her to sit ‘properly’.  Clasping hands behind her head she arched her back in a quick stretch.

Opening her eyes she fell back into the chair in surprise as a guy appeared in front of the seat.  Making a fierce attempt at a leg sweep that sent all sorts of garment edges swirling; the target simply stepped out of the way.  Grasping the armrests she managed to avoid tumbling from her perch, instead pulling back to a ‘genteel’ crossed leg pose smoothing her skirt.  The boy seemed at least a little stunned, as she stopped fiddling with her clothing and stood up.  As she bent to retrieve the book and bag, the long haired guy finally rediscovered his voice while pointedly looking away just in case, “Hey Jeanette.”

“Yo,” Standing up, she slung the heavy bag over her shoulder and stuck the taped up paperback in a sweater pocket.  Facing him Jeanette frowned fiercely before heading for the door.  Stepping out of her way he didn’t quite avoid having her bury a shoulder in his chest as she passed.  Wincing at the blow, he still fell in beside her as his companion’s ill mood eased.  Hooking her arm in the crook formed from having his hands jammed in his pocket.  Voice dripping with sarcasm, she inquired solicitously, “An’ how was yer loooovely weirdo club meeting my dear Karen?”

“Oh come on, that’s not fair,” Kieran rolled his eyes as the mandatory taunting began.  He made his own attempt to elbow her but Jeanette was quick enough to let go of his arm and step away before the plan came to fruition.  Exhaling, he shouldered through the school’s front doors a step ahead, “You like Corey don’t you?”

Shrugging, Jeanette slipped through the closing door.  She began feeling through her pockets before answering, “Yeah, I mean, he’s an all-right guy and ever’thing.  Plus, I do admire yer ability to acquire a mini-harem of hot foreign chicks but come on.”

“Come on what!?” Throwing up his hands out of his jacket pockets in exasperation, “People you admit to liking, history, computers; what more do you want from a club?”

“Point of order,” Jeanette put a finger up as she finally produced her keys from a pocket, “I said I admired your harem, not that I liked them.  That Swedish chick is crazy aggressive and the Brit’s creepy as hell.”

“That’s, er, not completely fair,” Dragging his feet, Kieran watched her approach the driver’s side door.  With some reluctance he sauntered up to the passenger’s.  Looking pensive, she stopped, looking straight at him as her mouth tightened.  Putting one hand on the car door, he cleared his throat, “You’d like being in the Computer History Club, I, ehem, I’m sure.”

“You signed me up awlready didn’t you you son of a bitch!” Voice dropping into a threatening register, Jeanette’s grip tightened around the keys, “I drive ya home because yer too big a wuss to learn how, and this is how you repay me!? “

“Let me get in first,” tugging with faint desperation at the still locked door Kieran prepared for the necessary sudden movement.  Last time he’d only managed to escape by jumping onto the roof of another student’s car, and that’d been without a backpack.

Bella

I already review'd it (in ANOTHER totally genius idea-making IM session), but I heartily approve. With lulz. ಙ‿ಙ

Krizonar

"(the I-don't-need-to-answer-your-bloody-question-because-you-already-have-experienced-this-and-know-the-answer-I'm-gonna-give-you-and-are-just-asking-it-to-annoy-me-look)"
had me rolling!

And I admire and like your harem. :D

Bella

Quote from: "Chozo""(the I-don't-need-to-answer-your-bloody-question-because-you-already-have-experienced-this-and-know-the-answer-I'm-gonna-give-you-and-are-just-asking-it-to-annoy-me-look)"
had me rolling!

And I admire and like your harem. :D

Me too. xD

Thanks, I admire my (fictional male self's) harem too. XD

NejinOniwa

I'm sorta trying to imagine a reversed aspect ratio version of myself, and with some realism thrown in...
Quote“I said I admired your harem, not that I liked them. That Swedish chick is crazy aggressive and the Brit’s creepy as hell.”
Hmmmm yeah, this does seem rather appropriate, doesn't it. _W_;

Aww, now I want to charge headfirst into this thing as well and all, too. Collab anyone? 'V'

Then again, I'm pretty overcharged with work already, what with me working on Ruka@Story, Mittens Rike Act 2, and the translation of Act 1 at the same time.

I might not have mentioned this, but translating your own works is frustrating as HELL. -_-

stewartsage

Actually, I'd considered porting the concept to the Games & RPG section but I doubted there would be enough interest....

NejinOniwa

Doubt the RPG section is the right place for it, though. I'd say perhaps a new thread around here, or just good-old document shipping, is good enough of a method.

What is good to recognize, however, is the method through which this first piece came to be - collaboration. Anything less than a 2-man team on something like this would, IMO, account to little more than an increasingly creepy fanfic.

Bella

I might volunteer to write some of it... dunno if that would help with the creepiness factor though. XD

NejinOniwa

Beating you to it. Currently whipping something up with Stew, involving some introduction of my own alter...this will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to ease the creepiness factor either, mind. >:3

NejinOniwa

I kinda feel like this has a bit too much of Mary Sue-like overdescription of "my" character, but Stew has assured me that it's nothing to be worried about, so I'll leave it at that. In any case, introducing the second part of the so-dubbed OSC/@ALT-Story.

Quote from: "OSC/@ALT-Story, P2"The blonde drew attention. It was always that way, though back home the culture of Jante law demanded they all pretended not to be the least bothered by the unusual appearance she presented. Here, in the more open â€" if not more open-minded, then at least that â€" and vocal minds of the American citizens she passed by, the oohs and aahs and what the hells (possibly most notably the latter ones) were a tad more prominent, though most people still had decency enough not to utter their opinions until they were “safely” behind her back. As if she didn't have ears or anything. People, she scoffed inside at nobody in particular.

But to be fair, she was bound to draw some attention from the average human; she was tall, her outfit looked like a corduroy cross of a tuxedo and a suit of armor â€" like it'd been pulled straight out of the Royal Opera's costume halls â€" and if her conformity to female standards were slightly upped by her waist-length hair, it was kicked straight back down again by the eyebrows, hovering above her pale green eyes forging a look of disdain and dead seriousness on her face.

She was closing in on a corner. A figure was leaning against the wall of a heavy-set, concrete block of a building; it took a while for her to recognize her as the unwilling CHC member that Kieran â€" she licked her lips â€" had introduced to her over the channel some week ago. “Good morning, bottled genie.” She sized her up with a quick look â€" average fashion, slightly above average height (though a good decimeter shorter than herself), and largely average looks â€" that ever-important look on her eyes was the only thing that made her stand out from the rest of the street's population. “Glad to see your spirit hasn't shriveled yet. Come on, give the Swede a hug!”

Jeanette slung the dark-green bag in the direction of her face, and followed up with a stabbing elbow toward her modestly sized chest. Neither blow hit its mark, but she did back one step away from the sweater-clad woman. As if wishing to provide them with convenient effects,the autumn wind blew down the street and whipped their manes of hair to streaks of gold and brown. “Compliments on the outit, Hanne. Did your normal ones all get lost on the airport, or was the rest of your wardrobe confiscated by customs?” A pause. “No, we went over that already, didn't we. Bloody woman. Suppose it's time you arrived, though â€" at least there'll be someone else around when Kieran needs to be notched down a few.”
A sigh was let out from the blonde's lips, and she frowned slightly â€" or deepened the one that constantly framed her face, at least. “Hey, chill a bit. And just call me Nej. It's easier for us all that way. Plus I don't have to be...reminded of things, either.” Jeanette shrugged, and they went around the corner she'd been standing at.

The street they'd turned on to was narrower than the last, but still played out plenty of the bombastic feeling that was pretty much omnipresent in American architecture. “So,” Nej said in Jeanette's direction, “Where's Kieran at?” She couldn't help but lick her lips slightly, a gesture which Jeanette responded to with a look of semi-disgusted annoyance. “Patience really isn't a virtue you've much of, is it,” she said as they proceeded on the windy road.

So now, Bells my dear, the challenge is on. All strings loose. And creepiness factor in this sort of piece is inevitable - just charge on and it'll be good in the end. I think. -w-;

Bella

YAY NEJ I LIKE IT! GJ!

OH GUIZE LOOKIT WHAT INSOMNIA'S MADE ME DO:

Quote from: "OSC/@ALT-Story Pt.2 1/2"
A young man frantically cleaned the apartment in anticipation of his guests' arrival; while the layers of clutter didn't particularly bother him, he wanted the humble residence to make a good first impression. Girls noticed things like that, after all â€" surely, even girls as offbeat as his two new friends. Kieran tried not to buy into gender stereotypes but it seemed true in this case; Hanne and Jeanette were two of the few women he'd been able to rope into joining the Computer History Club. Well... momentarily pausing from his tidying he entertained the thought, It's not like I had much luck with the guys, either â€" mainframes and minis and 8-bit micros are hardly exciting topics for computer enthusiasts, much less teenagers obsessed with using the newest and best of technology...  

Parting from this thought with a mournful shake of the head, he resumed his cleaning; the living room table has been purged of its books and day-old fast food wrappers, but it was still thoroughly covered with papers, sketches, doodles and paintings depicting various subjects, some of which could offend and/or thoroughly baffle his guests. He gathered the artwork into a box and put it under the table and without a moment to spare â€" seconds later a string of soft knocks emitted from the door. “Hold on a sec!” Giving himself a quick glance in the mirror, he untied his shaggy brown hair from its small ponytail and smoothed it back before opening the door. He startled a bit at the unexpected visage of the UPS guy.

“Delivery for Karen Bo--”

“It's Key-er-rin,” Kieran cut in, sounding his name out slower than usual as he had countless times before, “Kieran.”

“Oh... pardon me sir. Sign here please?” Kieran signed for the package then took the box from the delivery man, “Thanks, have a good day.”

A glace at the return address confirmed the package's contents: it was his new toy! Flashing a giddy grin he went to open it but was interrupted by a second series of knocks â€" this time rapid, forceful and accompanied by muffled shouts. Something told him this wasn't a FedEx delivery.

It's as far as I got, suffice to say Kieran's long mary-suesque descriptions are gonna be included in the next part.

NejinOniwa

Interesting indeed. -w-
Just a question - is that part newly written, do you get your name mispronounced a lot? Asking since I get that too, though it's more like replacement with a more common, german likeness of it rather than mispronunciation/misinterpretation -_-

Anyways, keep it up - what do you guys propose for writing order, btw? Just a 1-2-3-1 cycle?

Bella

I propose a Whenever You Want writing order. = =

Um... added onto that Leopard-tan story I posted, put it up on dA too.

http://bellacielo.deviantart.com/art/Land-of-the-Giants-pt-1-188502286