people counter

+1
5 (83.3%)
+0
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 01, 2009, 10:51:11 PM

CaptBrenden

Eh, well its.. about as common as ME-tan freezing.. those speakers on her head do look like cat ears.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

stewartsage

Its great to learn, 'cause knowledge is power!

Dragonbait

Okay, some of these are stupid, and some are ... well, no, all of them are stupid.  But here's what I got.

2K -- just drop the "-ay", and you've "Took".  Like Belladonna or Peregrine "Pippin" Took from Tolkien.

ME -- Emmy or Emma.  And given how often ME would freeze, comparisons to Emma Frost would be amusing.

XP -- Xaviera Prudence.  "Xaviera" from the Happy Hooker, and "Prudence" from how often she has to remind us, "I am not a whore!"  A nice contradiction.

95 -- Toughie, but I think of the classic, old-school Japanese beauty.  Shame I can't recall the name ... "Yamato Nadeshiko", I think.

98-twins -- Can't help you there.

Dr. Norton -- Just don't let his first name be Ed.
Yes, I\'m a Gaian.  :smoke: All flames shall be used to light cigarettes.

Chocofreak13

Quote from: "Dragonbait"Okay, some of these are stupid, and some are ... well, no, all of them are stupid.  But here's what I got.

2K -- just drop the "-ay", and you've "Took".  Like Belladonna or Peregrine "Pippin" Took from Tolkien.

ME -- Emmy or Emma.  And given how often ME would freeze, comparisons to Emma Frost would be amusing.

XP -- Xaviera Prudence.  "Xaviera" from the Happy Hooker, and "Prudence" from how often she has to remind us, "I am not a whore!"  A nice contradiction.

95 -- Toughie, but I think of the classic, old-school Japanese beauty.  Shame I can't recall the name ... "Yamato Nadeshiko", I think.

98-twins -- Can't help you there.

Dr. Norton -- Just don't let his first name be Ed.

who you callin' stupid, noob? >:\
2k doesn't have much of a name.
98 is Hac-chan, SE is Sec-chan.
XP pro is Saseko, home is Homeko, MCE is Moseko.
95 doesn't have much of a name either. i refered to her as "chicago" in my comic.
ME is Emuii (duh!)
Norton is just Norton.

noob, learn some respect! >:\
click to make it bigger

Dragonbait

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"
who you callin' stupid, noob? >:\
I was referrin' to my own answers.  You'll concede that "Xaviera Prudence", though it takes some imagination, is still kinda stupid.  And "ME" to "Emma Frost" would get us a "cease and desist" letter from Marvel's lawyers.

So, unless you feel compelled to call my ideas "good", please try a Valium.

Chocofreak13

now that's just mean. >:\ i thought to were referencing ALL of our suggestions.

and yeah, no offense. "xaviera prudence" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

and i've always hated the name emma or emmy, so i'm a little biased on that one. :\
click to make it bigger

Dragonbait

No, no; I was only criticizing mine own.  Though I have to say, respectfully, that "Hacchan" and "Secchan" can't be names; that "-chan" bit makes them nicknames.  Formal name (like you'd find on a document) would probably be "Ha something" ... wait, "something Ha".  I forgot to put the family name first.

Speakin' o' which, I guess the family name would have to be Madobe, like the new Win7 girl.  Doesn't "Mado" mean "Windows"?  

Or do we assume that only the girls derived from the same OS are related?  (That is, Hacchan and Secchan are sisters, but not directly related to 95 or XP?)  Hmm ... for that matter, since 95, 98, and ME are all variants of the same base system (9x), they might be cousins, while XP, 2K, and Inu-T (all based off NT) might be cousins unrelated to the 9x girls.  Second cousins at best, so still related, but distantly.

That would give us Yamato, Ha, Se, and Emmy Nynex (9x) for one "family" (using western name order), and ... um, Expy and Tookay Enty.

Aurora Borealis

The DOS-based Windows-tans are all sisters, with Windows 1.0-tan as their mother and 2.0-tan as their oldest sister, but those two were banished from the family during the OS Wars (3.1, NT and 95 know of their existence but are not allowed to speak of them, the later Windows-tans do not know of 1.0 and 2.0 at all).

Likewise, the NT-based Windows-tans are sisters, with the original NT-tan as their mother, but they aren't related by blood to the DOS-based Windows-tans, so the two family branches are step-siblings, though they are unaware of that.

stewartsage

And DOS/360 played CIA with the DOS-tans during the war too.

As for the whole matter of names, the OS-tans that I've been involved with have typically gone by their commercial/regular old names but they may have a nickname.  Of course, they're mostly older systems so its the proverbial 'different generation'

CaptBrenden

Quote from: "Dragonbait"No, no; I was only criticizing mine own.  Though I have to say, respectfully, that "Hacchan" and "Secchan" can't be names; that "-chan" bit makes them nicknames.  Formal name (like you'd find on a document) would probably be "Ha something" ... wait, "something Ha".  I forgot to put the family name first.

Hacchan is I think reference to Hachi japanese for  8, and Secchan obviously SE. For the tans however, I dont personaly feel they would have a "proper" name, they are programs after all but its a pain to call someone by a full program name so they receive more personal nicknames.  As far as Im concerned Hacchan and Secchan work perfectly
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Dragonbait

Oh, I fully agree; the names they've got are enough.  But Chocofreak wanted some real names, so I'm trying to come up with something marginally feasible.

Chocofreak13

sorry to necropost. but i'm not sure where else this would fall.

as i've gotten back into writing the ostan-comiket (my [insert name here] for my os-tan comic), i decided to revisit the idea of the os-tans/kuns 'names'. that, and i found some information on a new codename for 3.1. :\

i'll put down what "i'm" calling them, in a list (only people that have appeared so far or i know are going to appear; i'll cover other people when i come to it).

3.1-tan: Janus-sama, 3.1-sama
3.1-kun: Bombay-sama, 3.1-sama
3.1 (both): Sparta-sama (derogatory)
NT-tan: Nt-sama, Maman NT, Maman
Inu-t: Inu-t
95-tan: Chicago-sama/-san, Chi-sama/-san, Aunty Chi, 95-sama/-san
95-kun: Chicago-sama/-san/-kun, Cougar-kun
98-tan: Hac-chan
98SE-tan: Sec-chan
98-kun: Hac-kun
98SE-kun: Sec-kun
Yamada-tan: Yamada-san, Yamada
ME-tan: Emuii
ME-kun: ME-kun (might think of something else later)
2k-tan: Nichi-san, 2k-san
2k-kun: Nichi-kun, Janus-kun, 2k-san
XP Pro-tan: Saseko
XP Pro-kun: Saseto
XP Home-tan: Homeko
XP Home-kun: Homeo
XPMCE-tan: Moseko
XPMCE-kun Moseno
Vista Home-tan: Visbou-tan
Vista Home-kun: Visbou-kun
Vista Business-tan: Vistake-tan
Vista Business-kun: Vistake-kun
7-tan: Nanami, Nanami-chan
7-kun: Nanato, Nanato-kun
CE-tan: CE-tan
CE-kun: CE-kun
WE-tan: WE-tan/-san
Pizza-tan: Pizza-chan, Pizza, Pya-chan
Pizza-kun: Pizza-kun, Pizza-san

(it should be noted that the windows family name is "Madobe".)

OS9-tan: Sonata-san, Sonata, Onee-sama/chan, Sonata Onee-san/chan/sama
OS9-kun: Kyourou-kun, Kyourou, Onii-kun/chan/san
System 7.5: Capone-sama
Lisa: Lisa-dono

(i'm making the mac family name "Ringo", since it's japanese for apple. sounds silly, doesn't it. >w<;  depending on how it sounds, i might leave it "Mac". but it sounds a little awkward either way. :\ )

there's going to be more, but that's it for now (i realize there's alot of windows, that's what happens when i do a crowd scene ^^; ).

also, i mentioned that i found another codename for 3.1; it was for a media center edition of 3.1 that never made it past the beta stage, codenamed Bombay. I made it 3.1-kun's "name" so as to differentiate between 3.1-tan and -kun.

not much to discuss, just figured i'd put it out there. i might also update soon asking (again) for help with names, this time for the mac family.
click to make it bigger

Bella

I'd make the Mac family name Macintosh (or McIntosh if you want to do something different); I don't mean to be rude but "Ringo" is ridiculous and Macintosh is a proper surname, so... yeah. : /

The "human" names of other OS-tan:

-Apple ///-tan is Sara (the Apple ///'s codename WAS Sara, so this applies to the actual system as well)
-Whirlwind is Winifred Forester
-SAGE-tan is Gina Forester
-BUIC is Becca Forester(?)
-PDP-1 is Penelope/Penny
-IBM 728 and FASTRAND are Ivan and Randy
-Multics is Minerva Corbato(?)
-CTSS is Tess Corbato(?)
-Bell Labs Unix is Eunice Bell
-At least in my stories' canon, ALL the Macs' surnames are "Macintosh". Even the OSXen...
-So I suppose that means that Apple I, ][, /// and Lisa's surnames are "Apple"?
-OpenVMS is Vanessa
-Leopard-tan is Pardus (?)
-Snow Leopard-tan is Snow... though if we followed the naming convention of Leopard-tan, her name might also be Uncia.
-Dead Hand-tan is Mertvaya Ruka (usually just Ruka)

Chocofreak13

idk when i'll be running into the vintage -tans in this comic. it mainly focuses on the two big houses, with other elements mixed in. :\

ty though, and i agree on the "macintosh" vs "ringo" thing; it just seemed weird to have one house's name be so western while the other is so eastern, especially since both are from japan and the whole comic is set in japan. :\

too bad there's no japanese word for "macintosh". :\
click to make it bigger

Krizonar