+1
5 (83.3%)
+0
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 01, 2009, 10:51:11 PM

Chocofreak13

get your mind out of the gutter!

i'm asking for the community's help on this problem because it affects the whole community!

we call the -tans by what we consider to be their names, like 2k-tan, 95-tan, 3.1-tan, ect.

but those are more like nicknames than real names...... ("2k-san? 2k, where are you!?")

so i call for a naming! of course, some already have somewhat of "proper" names (95, ME, XPs pro, US pro, and both home edition [can't find one for XP pro-kun], 03 server, mac sonata, linspire, and more.)

i want your suggestions! and i will put up a few of my own!

i've given thought to a couple, but the only one i think i nailed was 2k. i think the name Nichi might work, given that literally translated "Nichi" means "Two thousand". either that or perhaps "Tsuke" since it sounds like "2k".
sec-chan and hac-chan, i tried to keep those parts of the names intact, which was easy for sec-chan with names like Sachiko (could be edited to "sechiko" for spelling purposes) but hec-chan wasn't so easy. i didn't come up with much other than "Hecate" (it's greek, i believe it has something to do with the greek goddess of fertility?) or "Hexia" (i made that up =/ ) so i'll need some suggestions on that....

you input is adored! i anxously await some sort of response! (and if the response is negative (like, mean vicious negative) then i will do it on my own and you guys will just have to deal with crap i pulled out of my a$$. (i wouldn't censor, but idk if that's allowed here, and i'm already on thin ice.)

thankyou! and have a happy new year. :3
click to make it bigger

Bella

I think some of the point of OS-tans is to have them named after the OS they represent... at least for non-canon characters. Some of the canon and non-canon OS-tans do have "proper" names though.

XP Pro = Saseko
XP Home = Homeko
XP Mediacenter = Moseko
XP Home-kun = Homeo
98 = Hacchan
98 SE = Secchan
Mac system 9 = Sonata-san/-sensei
Amiga-tan = Miggy

And then most of the Mac Classic-tans can be called by their codenames (like Antares-tan), and the OSX catgirls are called by their big cat names (Leopard-tan instead of Mac OSX 10.5-tan).

I know 2k-tan has some name, dunno what though.

But I don't see myself renaming a bunch of my characters (how the heck would I rename VMS-sama anyhow :P). The only characters I've created that perhaps have proper-sounding names are RSTS-tan (who can be called Ristess, as the OS was called that) and maybe AMOS-tan or ORIC-tan.

Aurora Borealis

I'd also have a really hard time renaming OS-tans to more 'proper' names but I'll add more to the list of OS-tan nicknames, canon and non-canon!

Amiga-tan is also known as Lorraine
XP Pro-tan is also known as Pekepi
2K-tan is also known as Nisen

3.1-tan is also known as "Baba Loli" or the "Hag Loli" but I think that is insulting!

Generic Mac-tan/ Mac OSX-tan is also known as Shian (Shian --> Cyan, which was Mac OSX's very first codename)

Lisa-tan is... Lisa!

The Mac-tans (from Mac System 6 and onwards) are often referred to by one of their codenames:

Mac System 6 = Antares
Mac System 7 = Blue
Mac OS 8 = Tempo, Veronica
Mac OS 9 = Sonata
Mac OSX Server = Rhapsody
Mac OSX 10.0 = Cheetah
Mac OSX 10.1 = Puma
Mac OSX 10.2 = Jaguar
Mac OSX 10.3 = Panther
Mac OSX 10.4 = Tiger
Mac OSX 10.5 = Leopard

Chocofreak13

thanx! this will be useful
you guys are right, i should just adapt. it just seemed a tad awkward to be yelling out numbers in the place of names. :/

btw, on the wiki, 95 is also referred to as chicago. :3 chicago-san. sounds nice.
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

Chicago was the codename for Windows 95, just as Longhorn was the codename for Vista (although there was a separate Longhorn-tan but no Chicago-tan, since she was around way before the age of -tans at all begun), therefore the nickname. Similarly, XP Pro was codenamed Whistler...although I've yet to see that mentioned as a pseudonym for her.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Chocofreak13

kk. thanx. (still gonna use it....why chicago as a codename is what i wonder. :? )
click to make it bigger

Persona

For the MacOs-tans, you can use the japanese names for what their english names are, and add a -chan or -san at the end.

Example:
Mac System 7 is Blue.
So it turns into Aoi-san

Mac OsX 10 is Tiger
So it turns into Moko-san

And so on.
I love: Mecha Musume, OS-tan, Furry Girls.

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

OSWindowsXP

What is Windows2K real name though?

Chocofreak13

NECROPOST~~~

uhm, i can look it up...
she's was originally called NT 5.0, but was changed to "2000" in 98'.  the service packs have been codenamed, though: Asteroid (SP1), and Janus (SP2, also the codename of win 3.1)
wiki says that she's the first win. OS released w/o a codename.

i called her Nichi. :3 (Ni= 2 Chi = 1000)
click to make it bigger

NejinOniwa

I am under the impression that she's frequently called Ni-kyan, due to her often being drawn with cat ears...

Chocofreak13

click to make it bigger

stewartsage

Wait, 2k-tan with cat ears?  Clearly I am not looking in the right places.

NejinOniwa

What, you seriously haven't seen those?

There should be a fuckton of it laying around...

stewartsage

Well, part of it might be I'm not a 2k fan, so I haven't really looked that hard.