Started by Alex_Reetz, October 19, 2008, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex_Reetz

I was bored, so I Created this crude drawing of Windows 7-Tan

Please Comment!

VonDaab

Oh, hmm...
Well here's my opinion:
Visually, Windows 7 looks very similar to Vista, it even uses the same core as Vista. So I'd suggest that the Windows 7 design would lend some small details from Vistas design (now to figure out from which Vista design).

Color scheme consists mostly from light blue and turquoise.
And the start bar is identical to Vista.

Hmm... can't really say more because I havent really researched Windows 7 so much...

Nuker

QuoteHmm... can't really say more because I havent really researched Windows 7 so much...

I did *insert evil laugh here*

NOTE: The following description assumes that Microsoft doesn't screw up.

NOTE2: A lot of info about Windows 7 can be found at vista123.net

Name: 7-tan or Sev-tan (Microsoft said that Windows 7 was the official name, probably their marketing experts thought Vienna sounded too much like Vista for comfort).

Apparent age: 16 or 17 (older than 3.1 sama and younger than XP anyway).

Hair color: Blue/cyan or maybe even white.

Eyes: probably blue (or green).

Wears: Her clothing is similar to that of chivistan in style, but much more modest and conservative.
(this because, although she still has Aero, Windows 7 GUI will not be subject to any big graphical improvement, so this means that Microsoft isn't betting it all on the aesthetics like before). Her dress/coat thing is also a (dark) shade of blue instead of plain black. She also wears a ribbon to symbolise the extensive use of the "ribbon interface".

Info/Personality: Windows-tans are pretty much a collection of anime "types" but there's an anime stereotype that hasn't been used yet and that would fit 7-tan perfectly: the "teen genius".
Why a teen? Because the OS is being developed at a much faster pace than Vista, there are increasing rumors of a release in mid-2009. Why a genius? Because MS is developing it with the one objective to be the fast, quick, reliable OS that Vista didn't manage to be.

For example:

-She's higly knowledgable and always keeps up to date with everything.
(Update to last version during installation, automatic update of Windows live games to lates version, "device information retrieval" service that downloads information for your hardware and displays it to you, Driver protection which prevents installation of drivers which cause stability problems)
(Note: All this functions can be turned OFF)

-She values privacy and security.
("business" editions have "BitLocker" disk encription, which encripts all the files written on the hard drive)

-She excelles at multitasking.
(Microsoft is both going to finally "evolve" the taskbar and to optimize parallel processing on many-core computers).

-She's open to innovation.
(Will support (multi)touch computing, pen computing, cloud computing, etc...)

-She's less bossy than Vistan.
(The UAC will be toned down a bit and Windows-7 will come with less Microsoft applications (which you will still be able to download for free from Windows Live, though))

Other info:

-Wakes up fast and works well even if she's sleepy. There are rumors she's also a sleepwalker.
(MS objective is to have Windows 7 boot in 15 seconds on 40% of the machines and to boot in a "limited functionality mode" in less than 8 seconds).

-Her "assets" are smaller than Vis-tan's not only because she's a teenager, but also because she will probably need less RAM (MS would like Windows 7 to run on EEEPCs). Therefore, she also eats less.

-Despite everything, Vis-tan is some sort of "sensei figure" for her (togheter with more 'dependable' OS-tans such as 2000-tan) and she is possibly the only one of the Windows sisters to call Vis-tan "One-sama" Vis-tan, depressed about her lack of success, is more than happy to accept this role as her new mission, and to pass on her knowledge to her youger sister, while warning her not to make the same mistakes she did.
(MS, rather than classifying Vista as an 'accident' people should forget about (like Me), has confidence in its potential and considers Windows 7 some sort of "major upgrade" for Vista, "Vista how it should have been" or "Vista, but better". If Windows Seven  succeeds, in a couple years time people will only remember Vista as "a step on the road to Seven".

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Alex_Reetz"I was bored, so I Created this crude drawing of Windows 7-Tan
Please Comment!

I see that you posted it to Wakachan also...

http://www.wakachan.org/os/3.html

http://www.wakachan.org/os/res/33102.html
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Nuker

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"
Quote from: "Alex_Reetz"I was bored, so I Created this crude drawing of Windows 7-Tan
Please Comment!

I see that you posted it to Wakachan also...

http://www.wakachan.org/os/3.html

http://www.wakachan.org/os/res/33102.html

May the heavens forgive me, I replied to that post suggesting my design instead. The last thing we need, IMO, is a design that doesn't fit becoming official on Wakachan.

BTW, after PDC 2008 I'm half expecting the Futaba and Nijiura guys to come up with their own designs. I was hoping for one 'universal' design but since she's supposed to be "inspired" by vistan and there are half a dozen versions of vistan out there... it's not that probable.

Nuker

*looks around*

no one here...

*double posts*

I made a 'noob design' of Windows 7 too. It's a crude drawing (the hands look especially ugly), but I'm only posting it so you'd give me your opinions on the design. Got any ideas? Please tell. My design is too uninspired/unoriginal? Again, do tell. Wanna draw a better version of it? Go ahead. ^^

NejinOniwa

Concerning the drawing, IMO the head looks fine, and the body looks fine - it's when they're put together that things look a bit off.

The design's much better, though - well thought-through, concerning what we know of the OS.

But, I guess we'll be having to redo this entire process each time there's something new about 7 released...yare yare. -.-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nuker

QuoteConcerning the drawing, IMO the head looks fine, and the body looks fine - it's when they're put together that things look a bit off.

The head's a little too big and not properly aligned, right?

QuoteThe design's much better, though - well thought-through, concerning what we know of the OS.

Thank you.

But, I guess we'll be having to redo this entire process each time there's something new about 7 released...yare yare. -.-

Only if it's something important, and considering that it's already in the "feature lock" phase according to Microsoft, I doubt I'll have to change it that much.

NejinOniwa

QuoteThe head's a little too big and not properly aligned, right?
Well, sums it up...or rather, the throat is a bit too long, and the chin it's attached to is just not in the right position. So yeah. Not too big though, that's ok.

VonDaab

I'm not gonna go into details with the anatomy, so I'll just point out the critical errors:

Head looks like its too much forward, or more like the throat is getting narrower at top. Needs to be more tubular, but not a perfect tube.

Collarbones, now here comes in the real study of anatomy. Collarbones "start" from the top of the sternum, and end at the shoulder, connecting with the femur(arm bone).

The fingers really look slightly like sausages of somesort...

I'm pretty bad at critiquing character designs, as my own are pretty awful.

NejinOniwa

QuoteCollarbones, now here comes in the real study of anatomy. Collarbones "start" from the top of the sternum, and end at the shoulder, connecting with the femur(arm bone).
Indeed. According to today's anime, COLLARBONES are more vital to a woman/loli's charm points than her breasts are! PAY ATTENTION!

Nuker

Uhm... I do appreciate your comments, and will keep in mind your pointers about neck and collar bones (i have to say that the neck originally connected in a better position, but that got screwed up while drawing the hair. When I realised my mistake, I had already colored the drawing...my bad.) but there's a reason if I posted this in the '7-tan noob concept thread' and not in my "art" thread. I could point out dozens of anatomy errors myself (arms, legs, waist, etc), but I just wanted to illustrate the concept without spending too much time drawing a design that could have been classified as unoriginal. Now, if you say it's good, I could spend some more time doing a -real- drawing. ^^

VonDaab

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Indeed. According to today's anime, COLLARBONES are more vital to a woman/loli's charm points than her breasts are! PAY ATTENTION!
I don't really follow...

Yeah, Nuker, I understood that you did that drawing just for the character design. Still, I see nothing wrong in pointing out errors.
But as I earlier said, I'm not good at character designs. But what I can say about your design is that it looks really good. I'd prefer your design over the AlexReetz's version.

But you know, character design is hard to critique, as mostly its about personal likings. There are no "correct ways" when it comes to character design. One good example is Vista and its 9000 different versions, every one of them customized for individual artists liking.

Nuker

Quote from: "VonDaab"
Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Indeed. According to today's anime, COLLARBONES are more vital to a woman/loli's charm points than her breasts are! PAY ATTENTION!
I don't really follow...

I get the feeling he quoted the wrong part of your post.

Yeah, Nuker, I understood that you did that drawing just for the character design. Still, I see nothing wrong in pointing out errors.

Neither do I, don't worry. As I said, I'll keep your pointers about anatomy in mind.

QuoteBut as I earlier said, I'm not good at character designs. But what I can say about your design is that it looks really good. I'd prefer your design over the AlexReetz's version.

Thank you.

QuoteBut you know, character design is hard to critique, as mostly its about personal likings. There are no "correct ways" when it comes to character design. One good example is Vista and its 9000 different versions, every one of them customized for individual artists liking.

I know, but I'd really like it if we could all work togheter to create "forum designs" of the new Os-tans (such as 7, Snow Leopard, etc.) so if you (or anyone here) have got a different idea of what Vienna-tan should look like, for example, I'd really like to hear it, because it may be better than mine.

VonDaab

So here's my try on 7-tan.
I deviated pretty much from your design. Made her very 2k-ish for some reason.
But this is really, really conceptual.