Main Menu

Topicless thread

Started by panda, September 17, 2005, 04:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Quote from: Pitkin on May 12, 2011, 01:51:27 AM
Eh... it was never really forbidden for two people to have an IRC-esque conversation in the Topicless thread. Even though cars are a topic I run away from screaming "vade retro" and waving a cross, what Chocofreak and PentiumMMX did wasn't even substanceless one-liners like "'sup" or "lol" like the ones this thread saw six years ago, so I don't see the problem totally. ^.^;

(Emphasis added since you made an important point, I think).

We're not forbidden from having an IRC-like chat in Topicless, because, well, there is no topic in this thread. But when the IRC-like chats enter Member Picture, Random Picture, Favourite Computer, Favourite Song and What Are You Wearing, and other threads with designated topics, it gets pretty grating and the threads become nigh-impossible to follow. (Especially for people who check the forum less often, say twice or a few times a day.) And even if you're on more often, it can be quite confusing to see a thread about musical preferences devolve into talk of lolcats, and have pages and pages devoted to a rapid back-and-forth dialogue between two people.

I'm not saying that every instance of OT-ness should be frowned upon - getting a little off the beaten track is okay, I think, if it still has to do with the larger topic at hand (for instance, mentioning your favourite musicians or lyrics in the Favourite Songs thread) but when other, completely unrelated, topics spring up it bothers me quite a lot. :\

Quote from: Pitkin on May 12, 2011, 01:51:27 AM[irc-advertisement]Naturally, there's a great way to have intense discussions with people in an AUTHENTIC IRC WAY! The fabulous chat is just one click away from the main page~[/irc-advertisement]

True this - I can't speak for myself since I've never used the site's IRC feature (mostly 'cause chatrooms are difficult to follow if there's more than a couple of people trying to have a discussion >>) there's always instant messaging and what not. Most of my random (and not so random) conversations with OSC people take place in IMs, so I never feel the need to dump too much info in Topicless or anywhere else here, really. -w-;

Pitkin

I've got to admit, B, that I hadn't any other threads you mentioned when I wrote that this morning as I posted before hurrying out. I would've maybe chosen my words a bit differently if I had. :/ You make a very valid point. Well, even at its worst it's just a conversation that got broader than it might've needed in optimal case, so as long as we could all agree that no big harm was done and no offense taken, I'd hope we could all stay happy-happy as Nejin the Demon-Overlord-Turned-Lawful suggested. ;)

Personally I'm quite sad to see how little the IRC channel is used, as it's my own preferred medium to talk to people. I'm too shy to start conversations in IM clients. ^^;

NejinOniwa

Back to totally random topics:

My sister just told me to get my pants off.
I could post the rest of what happened as well, but that'd make it less hilarious to read. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

Bella

Chain the Brit. D:

I crossdressed today. Go me.

NejinOniwa

Chain the brit indeed.

Also, DUUUUUDE!

Dr. Kraus

I shall free the fellow Brit!

NejinOniwa

Hmmm... I was not expecting this development. VERY WELL, BE IT SO THEN. CHAIN THE OTHER BRIT!

Dr. Kraus

Is this my guard, if this guy isn't my guard I will never be held captive!

Oh look Red! The boys have come to save us!

Bella

Quote from: Dr. Kraus on May 12, 2011, 06:04:15 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! If you free the Brit, he'll be making innuendo about you and your sister next!

Dr. Kraus

Quote from: Bella on May 12, 2011, 06:36:55 PM
Quote from: Dr. Kraus on May 12, 2011, 06:04:15 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! If you free the Brit, he'll be making innuendo about you and your sister next!

I DON'T HAVE A SISTER.

NejinOniwa

Even worse! That just means he'll be making innuendo about you AND YOUR LITTLE BROTHER.

zjhentohlauedy

OR YOUR LITTLE JOHN D:
My my, aren't you lovely~

Bella

Quote from: NejinOniwa on May 12, 2011, 07:34:07 PM
Even worse! That just means he'll be making innuendo about you AND YOUR LITTLE BROTHER.

I lol'd hard. XD;