OS-tan Flashbackstory Chronicles

Started by Aurora Borealis, June 11, 2008, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteAdam-tan and ][-tan have a crazy rivalry almost akin to that between 95 OSR 2.5-tan and 98-tan, or the rivalry between A/UX-tan and Macintosh System 6-tan! (although the latter mentioned is a friendly rivalry, it is still crazy!)

Fufu.... I can probably imagine, since A/UX-tan is the only Apple[-like] girl with the physical strength to match System 6-tan in rought-and-tumble.  ^^;

Although.......... I guess Cheetah-sama could too.  ^^

QuoteA few other notable connections I know are ][-tan -> The Mac-tans and A/UX-tan! or Atari TOS-tan -> Barbie Linux-tan!

Note that ][-chan is one to call in TOO many favors (she's still a considerate big sister at heart), so it's very likely she hardlyt takes advantage of that.  But certainly if it was necessary, for sure.  ^.^

Certainly Barbie Linux-hime is indispensible when it comes to modern fashion (althogh she'd have to watch how she phrases it... ), but I guess there can't be much in the way of actual clothes swapping.  ^^;

QuoteI also forgot to mention that GEOS-tan would also be friends with Quantum Link-tan! (GEOS is a GUI OS for the Commodore 64 and could use Quantum Link and even AOL! GEOS was also later ported to the Apple ][ )

Funny how I envisioned GEOS-tan as being the tit-for-tat equivalent to Commodore as GS/OS-tan is to Apple.  Perhaps GEOS-tan is also something of a servant to PET-chan and 64-chan (or perhaps more appropriately, a Petty Officer).

Connections are important. I know this first hand because there were some things I failed at by myself but succeeded with the help of others. And I used to think that the only way for me to succeed was by myself since I am overall an independent person in real life.

Well yeah, I could tell from your PM's you're pretty independent.  ^^;
But I suppose I could say I learned the same thing too, albeit the hard way.  

Now if only that philosophy could be translated into team artwork a little more often.  -.-

QuoteThat's right! I once thought that winning was the only way to get stronger and that it was weak to lose, but losing is important because from losing, a person learns from their mistakes, how to improve themselves and be stronger!

Correct.  As another old phrase goes:

"The only way to stop a dog from chasing cars is to let him catch one."  ^^'

Unless there's something to make you realize you're making a mistake, you'll just keep committing it.  ^.^'

The over-emphasis on winning is of course part of the competitive mindset we're often schooled in, and while of course it's important to reward winning, it's a disservice to admonish losing as is often the case.  I would venture that this particular obsession to win is as much fueled by fear and a bipolar view of the world as much as anything else -- when tossed into a failing situtation, people with that mindset are more likely to break down emotionally.

Conversely, though, people who simply switch off and refuse to even try won't learn anything either -- in embracing loss as their only goal in life, they grow comfortable wallowing in a pool of their own shame and loathe the idea of bettering themselves.

"Winners win and Losers lose, but only the Strong will make the most of Victory and Defeat."

Yeah sorry, I had to make my own quote there.  ^^'

How about a similar one from Shion no Ou...?

"Both attack and retreat can be an offensive."

Incidentally, I just finished that show, and all I can say....

AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^
One of my favorites now, for sure....

GAWD, I can't wait till my Shougi board arrives in the mail!  ^____^

QuoteThe whole Binteeji Renmei is giant fountain of hope and inspiration!

Well okay, let's not hype it too much. ^^;

Newcomers expecting to find it as some Zen-like temple of enlightenment will be put off the minute they see half the girls engaged in another coin and bottlecap tossing war.  ^^;

QuoteHoly craaaaaaap! There is devoted, and there is downright insane. TRS DOS-tan falls into the latter but I like her because she is so freaking crazy (and cute)!

Well she's cute, I'll tell ya that.  ^___^

The only reason she's not completely banned from performing crazy rants in Radio Shack stores now is because she looks so damn cute to the younger generations.  Apparently its amusing for them to see a pouty little girl, with puritan clothing, fiery eyes, a [woefully outdated] copy of the Holy Employee Manual that's half as big as she is, and a knack for random religious ravings that could put Carrie's mother to shame.  ^^;

That's unusual, being around OS/2-tan so much would normally make someone crazier! QNX-tan may be crazy (and a mad scientist!) but she is also very cheerful, friendly, and nonchalant! (and even trusted as a medic, car mechanic and even nuclear power plant supervisor!)

Just comes to show you that TRSDOS-chan was formally on the OPPOSITE end of the craziness spectrum.  ^^;
I guess OS/2-sama's lesser degree of insanity helped TRSDOS-chan achieve a state of equilibrium for her madness.

And yeah, either way you sugar coat it, QNX-sama is nuts.  ^__________^
One of her favorite pastimes, I'm sure, would be to tease TRSDOS-chan with all sorts of funky new-fangled gadgets.  The reaction of the bigoted, technophobic TRSDOS-chan when she wakes up to find herself strapped to a giant mecha would probably be priceless (to the point where even OS/2-sama wouldn't mind the expensive property damage that would result).  ^v^;

Quote...Although I like TRS DOS-tan very much, I would NOT like to meet her in real life at all, being that stubborn!

Wish I could say the same.  Problem is, she's based on an uncomfortably LARGE number of people I've had the displeasure of knowing.  -.-;

QuoteWaaaah. I have such a hard time focusing on multiple things, am not very good at multitasking and I am extremely scatterbrained!

SISTER!!!!!!!  ^V^

*gives Aurora-hime a hug of solidarity*

QuoteWell, "1984" was published in 1949 so a Newspeak-to-Oldspeak dictionary could have been around as far back as that year.

Well true, 1984 DOES seem like the kind of book ][-chan would read.  That, and the Jungle.

Incidentally, the uncensored version of The Jungle is incredible; if you have not read the book before at all, I much recommend this version over the commercial one:

http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Uncensored-Original-Upton-Sinclair/dp/1884365302/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217824022&sr=8-1

QuoteSay, doesn't that dictionary look familiar? Like the one that Ahiru-chan carries around? That is not a coincedence! In fact, she later gave it to Ahiru-chan!

Wow!!  Talk about the apprentice surpassing the master.  ^.^

Ahiru-chan likely poured over it at a very young age (just so she can actually UNDERSTAND what the heck her Onee-chan is talking about), and in doing so became an absolute expert at it.  To the point she's working on her own revisions to the language, as suggested but never completed in the novel.  ^___^

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "C-Chan"
Fufu.... I can probably imagine, since A/UX-tan is the only Apple[-like] girl with the physical strength to match System 6-tan in rought-and-tumble.  ^^;

Although.......... I guess Cheetah-sama could too.  ^^
I agree- if Cheetah-tan is easily able to drag the OSX-kuns away for their punishment, she must be pretty strong!

Note that ][-chan is one to call in TOO many favors (she's still a considerate big sister at heart), so it's very likely she hardlyt takes advantage of that.  But certainly if it was necessary, for sure.  ^.^
Considering how nice ][-chan is and how much she helped her family while she lived with them, they don't mind helping out ][-chan at all. They are very grateful!

Certainly Barbie Linux-hime is indispensible when it comes to modern fashion (althogh she'd have to watch how she phrases it... ), but I guess there can't be much in the way of actual clothes swapping.  ^^;
Correct- she needs to be careful how she phrases 'modern fashion' and 'old fashions' because saying it the wrong way could make TOS-tan feel old! (and no one wants that!) Barbie Linux-tan is very nice but a little uhh... blunt at times!

Like OSR 2.5-tan, Barbie Linux-tan has an assortment of jobs but mainly as a fashion designer and dress maker. While she needs all the money she can get, being a wanderer and what not, she wouldn't mind giving away a few of her dresses (especially to the Vintage-tans who are often tight on money and need donations!)

Funny how I envisioned GEOS-tan as being the tit-for-tat equivalent to Commodore as GS/OS-tan is to Apple.  Perhaps GEOS-tan is also something of a servant to PET-chan and 64-chan (or perhaps more appropriately, a Petty Officer).
There is a rendition of GEOS-tan in the Vintage gallery:

Nicely drawn, but lacks cuteness. When I'll draw a new rendition, I will keep the blue hair, color scheme and the helmet and have her dressed in an officer uniform.

Now if only that philosophy could be translated into team artwork a little more often.  -.-
Yeah... Collaborations can be hard but they bring out the best in both the artists' work!

Correct.  As another old phrase goes:

"The only way to stop a dog from chasing cars is to let him catch one."  ^^'
And when the dog realizes the consequences of chasing cars, it'll stop? ;012

Unless there's something to make you realize you're making a mistake, you'll just keep committing it.  ^.^'
Correct! Of course whoever is making the mistake has to be open-minded enough to acknowledge the fact they are making a mistake and learn from it!

The over-emphasis on winning is of course part of the competitive mindset we're often schooled in, and while of course it's important to reward winning, it's a disservice to admonish losing as is often the case.  I would venture that this particular obsession to win is as much fueled by fear and a bipolar view of the world as much as anything else -- when tossed into a failing situtation, people with that mindset are more likely to break down emotionally.
I agree- And in modern society, it is the winners that get the fame and stardom. And in the distant past: it was the winners that get the territory,  the best mates, the first dibs on available food and most importantly... it was the winners that survive. I wonder if all the stuff of the distant past is still rooted into peoples' subconscious as well.

Conversely, though, people who simply switch off and refuse to even try won't learn anything either -- in embracing loss as their only goal in life, they grow comfortable wallowing in a pool of their own shame and loathe the idea of bettering themselves.
That's just as bad too. Reminds me how it has became increasingly common for all participants in school sporting events receive awards even if they sucked, to avoid hurting anyone's feelings ;030

The hard work and training that all participants (whether they won or lost) had to go through should be acknowledged but giving everyone awards is taking it too far! I mean, hey! In elementary school, I participated in two track and field events (I was required to) and I totally sucked, did not get any awards and it did not hurt my feelings at all!

As the people on Fark sarcastically say, children these days are a bunch of "precious snowflakes" T__T

"Winners win and Losers lose, but only the Strong will make the most of Victory and Defeat."

Yeah sorry, I had to make my own quote there.  ^^'
Brilliant quote! ;019 The strong really do make the most of both outcomes- enjoy the victories and learn from their defeats!

Inversely, the weak can win or lose just as well, but they don't make anything out of their victories or defeat and they end up expecting another victory to be handed to them and completely despair and want to give up when they lose.

How about a similar one from Shion no Ou...?

"Both attack and retreat can be an offensive."
Hmm... How a retreat can be an offensive was a little baffling to me at first but it is akin to the phrase "the best offense is a good defense" so a defensive maneuver such as a retreat can work as an offensive!

Incidentally, I just finished that show, and all I can say....

AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^
One of my favorites now, for sure....

GAWD, I can't wait till my Shougi board arrives in the mail!  ^____^
I wonder, if "Shion no Ou" becomes highly popular, that it could greatly boost Shougi's popularity like how "Hikaru no Go" did to Go!

Well okay, let's not hype it too much. ^^;

Newcomers expecting to find it as some Zen-like temple of enlightenment will be put off the minute they see half the girls engaged in another coin and bottlecap tossing war.  ^^;
Eheheheh... It will take a while for members to see the hope and inspiration! Not to mention they have to work for it, but the work is well worth it!

Well she's cute, I'll tell ya that.  ^___^

The only reason she's not completely banned from performing crazy rants in Radio Shack stores now is because she looks so damn cute to the younger generations.  Apparently its amusing for them to see a pouty little girl, with puritan clothing, fiery eyes, a [woefully outdated] copy of the Holy Employee Manual that's half as big as she is, and a knack for random religious ravings that could put Carrie's mother to shame.  ^^;
Hahahahaha! I, like many other people, would pay to see that! (which would also be good for the Radio Shack stores getting more customers and revenue and good for TRS DOS-tan being able to get her messages across, even if most of the onlookers are more focused on how cute she is and how funny she seems)

Just comes to show you that TRSDOS-chan was formally on the OPPOSITE end of the craziness spectrum.  ^^;
I guess OS/2-sama's lesser degree of insanity helped TRSDOS-chan achieve a state of equilibrium for her madness.
uhh... eComstation-tan isn't insane, right? I don't think RISC OS-tan is insane either except for the fact that she is insanely obsessive compulsive and perfectionistic.

Visi On-tan certainly has some degree of insanity and paranoia but loves to join in on the rest of the A$C's antics because being with them has been by far the most fun she has had in years or even decades!

And yeah, either way you sugar coat it, QNX-sama is nuts.  ^__________^
One of her favorite pastimes, I'm sure, would be to tease TRSDOS-chan with all sorts of funky new-fangled gadgets.  The reaction of the bigoted, technophobic TRSDOS-chan when she wakes up to find herself strapped to a giant mecha would probably be priceless (to the point where even OS/2-sama wouldn't mind the expensive property damage that would result).  ^v^;
That would be HILARIOUS!! :D

Suits QNX-sama well too- she keeps up with the times (being one of the two or three A$C members who represents a current OS) and is very technologically inclined, and most importantly... crazy!

Wish I could say the same.  Problem is, she's based on an uncomfortably LARGE number of people I've had the displeasure of knowing.  -.-;
And I thought I dealt with a lot of stubborn people!

SISTER!!!!!!!  ^V^

*gives Aurora-hime a hug of solidarity*
Hooray! Someone who can completely relate to that! ^_^

Incidentally, the uncensored version of The Jungle is incredible; if you have not read the book before at all, I much recommend this version over the commercial one:

http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Uncensored-Original-Upton-Sinclair/dp/1884365302/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217824022&sr=8-1
I've wanted to read "The Jungle" for some time now since hearing about it! And the original!

Wow!!  Talk about the apprentice surpassing the master.  ^.^

Ahiru-chan likely poured over it at a very young age (just so she can actually UNDERSTAND what the heck her Onee-chan is talking about), and in doing so became an absolute expert at it.  To the point she's working on her own revisions to the language, as suggested but never completed in the novel.  ^___^
Ahiru-chan is quite the genius! Too bad she is highly misunderstood with few believing what she says :(

Almost done with page 14 and will post it up later today!

EDIT: Here is page 14!

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-7360

C-Chan

QuoteLike OSR 2.5-tan, Barbie Linux-tan has an assortment of jobs but mainly as a fashion designer and dress maker. While she needs all the money she can get, being a wanderer and what not, she wouldn't mind giving away a few of her dresses (especially to the Vintage-tans who are often tight on money and need donations!)

Fufu... well that may be true, but again I'm referring to the HUGE disparity in size.  ^^;

I know that the RL Barbie portions are ridiculously-freakish [in a disturbingly small kinda way...], but surely you spared Barbe Linux-sama from such a fate, and gave her a bust, waist, hips, hands and feet that are all proportional to her actual height, right?  ^___^

RIGHT?!!!  ^__________^;

*fidgets nervously*

QuoteThere is a rendition of GEOS-tan in the Vintage gallery:

Aw crap!  Almost forgot!  ^^;
Guess when you're knee-deep in OS-tan speculation as I am, you too would eventually forget to "lurk m0ar".  ^.^;

But do agree that the concept is cool, but needs a woman's touch.  ^__^

QuoteThe hard work and training that all participants (whether they won or lost) had to go through should be acknowledged but giving everyone awards is taking it too far! I mean, hey! In elementary school, I participated in two track and field events (I was required to) and I totally sucked, did not get any awards and it did not hurt my feelings at all!

As the people on Fark sarcastically say, children these days are a bunch of "precious snowflakes" T__T

Well, to coin yet another phrase out of my butt....

"Extremes are the enemies of reason."

Especially in an educational setting, moving from one extreme (beating kids into submission) to another (pampering them or doping them) is still committing the same fundamental mistake (albeit from different ends).  Plus it also fails to address legitimate origins of behavioral problems, ensuring that they will always be around forever, churning out generation after generation of disenchanted youth.

Sadly, the true solution to these problems require time, money, dedication, confidence, knowledge, discipline and of course creativity -- ALL things that are in fairly short supply.  -___-

QuoteBrilliant quote!  The strong really do make the most of both outcomes- enjoy the victories and learn from their defeats!

Inversely, the weak can win or lose just as well, but they don't make anything out of their victories or defeat and they end up expecting another victory to be handed to them and completely despair and want to give up when they lose.

I said it before and I'll say it again,... Aurora-hime's is a quick one!  Heck, if you ever have a term paper or something that requires some philosophizing, let me know.  Seems we can exchange quite a bit of thoughtful discourse in forum posts.... ^______^

QuoteHmm... How a retreat can be an offensive was a little baffling to me at first but it is akin to the phrase "the best offense is a good defense" so a defensive maneuver such as a retreat can work as an offensive!

Correct.  Those, btw, are otherwise known as "tactical retreats" -- you forfeit a little honor just to be able to fight the enemy another day, thin his numbers, or lull him into a false sense of security.  In Shougi, as in chess, a seemingly cowardly retreat often causes the overeager amateur to overplay his hand and weaken his own defense.  ^__~

QuoteI wonder, if "Shion no Ou" becomes highly popular, that it could greatly boost Shougi's popularity like how "Hikaru no Go" did to Go!

I think that'd be great.  However, I'm not 100% confident this series will get licensed at all.  -___-

Quoteuhh... eComstation-tan isn't insane, right? I don't think RISC OS-tan is insane either except for the fact that she is insanely obsessive compulsive and perfectionistic.

Well perhaps random visitors might think of them as a little nutty.  ^.^

But yeah, overall, they're fairly sane.  ^___^

Visi On-tan certainly has some degree of insanity and paranoia but loves to join in on the rest of the A$C's antics because being with them has been by far the most fun she has had in years or even decades!

fufu!  I have to get used to the new recruit still.  Almost forgot about her. ^_________^'

QuoteI've wanted to read "The Jungle" for some time now since hearing about it! And the original!

Like 1984, it's the kind of stunning reading with deep political commentary that absolutely gets you kneeling at the edge of your seat in anticipation of the next page.  What might be striking about the original version of The Jungle is the depth of similarities of certain aspects of 1905 compared to their modern-day counterparts.  ^v^

Oh, it's definitely times like this where it would be great if you could purchase online, as its hard to find this version in retail stores or libraries.

QuoteEDIT: Here is page 14!

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-7360

BWAHAHA!!!!!!  System 1-chan speaks her very first Newspeak!!  Indeed it's almost like being reborn!  ^___^

The carriage horse scenes at night were a clever touch, and definitely helps accentuate the old-fashioned feel of the era.  I do haveto wonder how is it that Lisa-chan could ride together with the newly reborn System 1-chan without giving her an earful all along the ride.  ^v^

I definitely have to compliment you on the speed you issued this, btw.  I practically blinked for a second, and you already had whipped up another comic!  ^o^

Aurora Borealis

Fufu... well that may be true, but again I'm referring to the HUGE disparity in size.  ^^;
Surely she'd have hired models of different sizes to be able to make dresses that are able to fit other people! ^^

I know that the RL Barbie portions are ridiculously-freakish [in a disturbingly small kinda way...], but surely you spared Barbe Linux-sama from such a fate, and gave her a bust, waist, hips, hands and feet that are all proportional to her actual height, right?  ^___^

RIGHT?!!!  ^__________^;

*fidgets nervously*
Yes.

Well, to coin yet another phrase out of my butt....

"Extremes are the enemies of reason."

Especially in an educational setting, moving from one extreme (beating kids into submission) to another (pampering them or doping them) is still committing the same fundamental mistake (albeit from different ends).  Plus it also fails to address legitimate origins of behavioral problems, ensuring that they will always be around forever, churning out generation after generation of disenchanted youth.
Pampering kid-- err... snowflakes makes them feel good but often turn out unruly and highly unmotivated and from inability to get motivated, they get bored and unsatisfied with life.

On the other end, beating a kid into submission would make him/her submissive and never unruly but live in fear, afraid to try anything out of the fear of getting beaten again for doing it wrong. Either way, you've got unsatisfied and unmotivated kids for one reason or another. :(

What's needed is a moderate approach that is not abusive but gets kids motivated to succeed.

Sadly, the true solution to these problems require time, money, dedication, confidence, knowledge, discipline and of course creativity -- ALL things that are in fairly short supply.  -___-
So true :(

I said it before and I'll say it again,... Aurora-hime's is a quick one!  Heck, if you ever have a term paper or something that requires some philosophizing, let me know.  Seems we can exchange quite a bit of thoughtful discourse in forum posts.... ^______^
I've really gained a liking for philosophy from these discussions!

Correct.  Those, btw, are otherwise known as "tactical retreats" -- you forfeit a little honor just to be able to fight the enemy another day, thin his numbers, or lull him into a false sense of security.  In Shougi, as in chess, a seemingly cowardly retreat often causes the overeager amateur to overplay his hand and weaken his own defense.  ^__~
I've fallen victim to tactical retreats multiple times back when I played chess and checkers :( No wonder why I never won a game in either >__<

I'll remember that the next time I play chess or checkers...

Well perhaps random visitors might think of them as a little nutty.  ^.^

But yeah, overall, they're fairly sane.  ^___^
To balance out the insanity of the other members! ;012

Even the User Space Gang has a couple members who are sane at a first glance! (NetBSD-tan and PlanB-tan)

Like 1984, it's the kind of stunning reading with deep political commentary that absolutely gets you kneeling at the edge of your seat in anticipation of the next page.  What might be striking about the original version of The Jungle is the depth of similarities of certain aspects of 1905 compared to their modern-day counterparts.  ^v^

Oh, it's definitely times like this where it would be great if you could purchase online, as its hard to find this version in retail stores or libraries.
I like political novels! It's a shame I can't buy stuff online because I want to see the uncensored stuff!

BWAHAHA!!!!!!  System 1-chan speaks her very first Newspeak!!  Indeed it's almost like being reborn!  ^___^
Indeed! She seems like a whole new person!

The carriage horse scenes at night were a clever touch, and definitely helps accentuate the old-fashioned feel of the era.  I do haveto wonder how is it that Lisa-chan could ride together with the newly reborn System 1-chan without giving her an earful all along the ride.  ^v^
Good question... I'll have to make that into a page of ZS! :D

I definitely have to compliment you on the speed you issued this, btw.  I practically blinked for a second, and you already had whipped up another comic!  ^o^
Thanks! That page was actually pretty difficult and time-consuming at first but I found out some more efficient and time-saving ways to work on it in PS.

Bella

I'm so sorry I cannot reply to all this! But I will point out a few things...

Wow, I liked seeing these two new pages! Seeing System 1-chan discover newspeak was great, and I like her in her balldress. I liked the horses in page 14...you wouldn't know it, but I love horsies :P

QuoteIn fact she's already been legally excommunicated from the Cult 15 years ago, after she scared one too many young employees with her ferverous rampage about seemingly silly things (like not leveling out their name tags). Unfortunately, she cannot comprehend that notion in her mind, and not only still practices her religion, but also regularly "inspects" random Radio Shacks every once in a while, usually resulting in her being tossed out by some mall security.

Living in the presence of other OS-tans just as crazy as she is (OS/2-sama and QNX-chan) has helped mellow her out a little in recent years. But don't be fooled, as she can ignite with any improperly-spoken comment.

Plus she revels with joy at the fact that she knows very little about much of anything new (or even old), and likes to keep it that way. OS/2-sama and gang have to literally strap her to a chair and pry her eyelids open in order to make her watch a webpage.

Haha! A crazy cultgoer, eh? I guess the GNU people wouldn't be the only ones.

I will agree that them Radio Shack folk are very cultlike. They blather inane ramblings, they're misguided, they're clearly brainwashed--I steer clear of Radio Shacks for fear that I'll be kidnapped and end up "One of Them" XD

Quote"Winners win and Losers lose, but only the Strong will make the most of Victory and Defeat."

Quote"Extremes are the enemies of reason."

Wow, those are profound...@____@

QuoteI've really gained a liking for philosophy from these discussions

I love philosophy, my friends and I quite often get into philosophical discussions, ranging from the deep (what was before the Big Bang? If there are parallel universes with "copies" of ourselves, do we share the same soul?) to the...petty (can true silence be attained? YES! In space!)[/quote]

C-Chan

QuoteSurely she'd have hired models of different sizes to be able to make dresses that are able to fit other people! ^^

QuoteYes

Phew!  Saved me the hassle of a refund.  ^-^;

*puts away wedding ring box and carries on*

QuoteI like political novels! It's a shame I can't buy stuff online because I want to see the uncensored stuff!

I'll see what I can do about that....  -v-

*ponders*

QuoteThanks! That page was actually pretty difficult and time-consuming at first but I found out some more efficient and time-saving ways to work on it in PS.

*wags tail expectantly*

^___^

I'm all ears, you know.  ^.^

QuoteWow, I liked seeing these two new pages! Seeing System 1-chan discover newspeak was great, and I like her in her balldress. I liked the horses in page 14...you wouldn't know it, but I love horsies :P

waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!  Bella-hime;s back!!!!!  ^V^

*morphs into very SMALL horse*

*oink-winnies*  Welcome back.  <^o^>

QuoteHaha! A crazy cultgoer, eh? I guess the GNU people wouldn't be the only ones.

I will agree that them Radio Shack folk are very cultlike. They blather inane ramblings, they're misguided, they're clearly brainwashed--I steer clear of Radio Shacks for fear that I'll be kidnapped and end up "One of Them" XD

*oink-winnies*  oh LAWD, what have I started here.  <^^>'

I love philosophy, my friends and I quite often get into philosophical discussions, ranging from the deep (what was before the Big Bang? If there are parallel universes with "copies" of ourselves, do we share the same soul?) to the...petty (can true silence be attained? YES! In space!)

Awesome.  In that case, you missed a lot about that (and finance).  Tsk tsk... see what you get for trekking the US and having fun?  For shame... *oink-winnies*  <-v->

Aurora Borealis

Here's page 15!

*pant* This page brought out the gosh darn perfectionist in me, why it took so long! x__x

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-7362

Since I failed to add in a scene showing Lisa-tan's initial reactions to seeing System 1-tan in her new dress and with an invitation to the party, she appears in the first panel still struck with disbelief about the whole thing.

And really, Lisa-tan is NOT the one to talk about System 1-tan being slow and needing to hurry up! Okay, so System 1.0's (or actually, System 0.97 which is the actual System number of the Mac OS first released with the Macintosh) performance was not that great, mainly due to trying to run a full-fledged GUI with only 128 KB of RAM but at least it wasn't as nearly as slow as the Lisa was!

icerain

Wow nice drawings. Reminds me of another forum's artist.
"Life begins with a disk drive"

C-Chan

Wow, it's been ages since I've seen eComstation-tan girl,... er, I mean Icerain around here.  Your avatar is still as remarkably KEWT as ever! `v'

Glad you're taking notice of Aurora-hime's work.  If you like that page, great time to point out there's way more where that came from.  ^v^

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=156

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=205

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=189
http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=195

Quote*pant* This page brought out the gosh darn perfectionist in me, why it took so long! x__x

Ahhh, well I guess I can relate based on the Zerosanity Xmas comic.  However, in your case, the extra investment in time really shows via the remarkable use of lighting in your panels.  Its very gradual at first, manifesting in panel 3 as the trailing light from a distance source.  But in panel 4 there's a burst of beautifully-implemented lighting effects, from the inviting glow of the windows, to the sharp highlights on the trees, to the long shadows on certain objects.  And of course your use of stars adds another enticing touch to the night scene, already nicely complimented with stylized trees and rocks.

QuoteSince I failed to add in a scene showing Lisa-tan's initial reactions to seeing System 1-tan in her new dress and with an invitation to the party, she appears in the first panel still struck with disbelief about the whole thing.

I think that works out very nicely -- certainly great to see Lisa-chan's cute face of indignation.  ^.^

You can also make the case that, prior to ][-sama making her "fairy godmother" appearance, she might have had a small "chat" with Lisa-chan about her attitude, and probably scolded her into taking System I-chan to the party.  Lisa-chan may have been Father's daring child, but ][-sama was the primary breadwinner and thus had an awful lot of weight regarding what goes on in the house (or, for that matter, who gets to go to which parties).  ^.^

QuoteAnd really, Lisa-tan is NOT the one to talk about System 1-tan being slow and needing to hurry up! Okay, so System 1.0's (or actually, System 0.97 which is the actual System number of the Mac OS first released with the Macintosh) performance was not that great, mainly due to trying to run a full-fledged GUI with only 128 KB of RAM but at least it wasn't as nearly as slow as the Lisa was!

Amazing that with 4MB of RAM, Lisa-chan was still abnormally slow.  That would certainly classify System 1-chan as "small and nimble".  ^.^;

Incidentally, regarding easter eggs....

Is that by any chance a young Visi On-tan "stalking" her idol Lisa-sama from the balcony?  @v@

Aurora Borealis

Ahhh, well I guess I can relate based on the Zerosanity Xmas comic.  However, in your case, the extra investment in time really shows via the remarkable use of lighting in your panels.  Its very gradual at first, manifesting in panel 3 as the trailing light from a distance source.  But in panel 4 there's a burst of beautifully-implemented lighting effects, from the inviting glow of the windows, to the sharp highlights on the trees, to the long shadows on certain objects.  And of course your use of stars adds another enticing touch to the night scene, already nicely complimented with stylized trees and rocks.
So that was time well-spent! I wasn't sure at first whether to add in all of the lighting and shading effects because it would be inconsistent if I did (not doing any of that before) and the scene wouldn't have the same impact if it didn't.

But then I realized, a lot of low-budget anime as well as most non-anime cartoons generally have little or no shading/highlights except when there are scenes with strong lighting effects (and it seems to work, even if inconsistent) and I decided to apply that here. So I don't know if that applies to manga or not, but what the heck! I went with it anyways!;012

I think that works out very nicely -- certainly great to see Lisa-chan's cute face of indignation.  ^.^

You can also make the case that, prior to ][-sama making her "fairy godmother" appearance, she might have had a small "chat" with Lisa-chan about her attitude, and probably scolded her into taking System I-chan to the party.  Lisa-chan may have been Father's daring child, but ][-sama was the primary breadwinner and thus had an awful lot of weight regarding what goes on in the house (or, for that matter, who gets to go to which parties).  ^.^
Ahahaha... Cool!... ][-sama may be really nice, but is still able to scold  a spoiled girl into submission and put her in in her place! But yeah, given how hard ][-sama works, she deserves some authority status!

Amazing that with 4MB of RAM, Lisa-chan was still abnormally slow.  That would certainly classify System 1-chan as "small and nimble".  ^.^;
The Lisa is also so slow that even when running under the Lisa Emulator on modern hardware, it is still very slow! o_o

Incidentally, regarding easter eggs....

Is that by any chance a young Visi On-tan "stalking" her idol Lisa-sama from the balcony?  @v@
Yes it is! In the next two pages, there will be a few more cameo appearances! (along with some completely random people)

Aurora Borealis

2 new pages!

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-7363

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?pos=-7365

Macintosh System 1-tan makes her debut at the party, announced by the old-fashioned Toshiaki!

Although nervous, System 1-tan decides to just be herself on stage! But is that a good thing?...

And a lot of the people in the crowd are completely random people although I did slip in a few OS-tan cameo appearances in these two pages!

icerain

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"2 new pages!

And a lot of the people in the crowd are completely random people although I did slip in a few OS-tan cameo appearances in these two pages!
Completely random people... lol. Nice drawings. Seen your pics
"Life begins with a disk drive"

C-Chan

Sorry, I'm neglecting my comic reading.  ^.^'

I'll make it up to you tomorrow, Aurora-hime!  Promise!  ^__^

BTW, it's amazing how much detail you were able to add, and still issue TWO pages worth!  @v@

I can see Visi On-tan cameo again, but also a younger, tamer Pilot-chan, as well as possibly EXEC-sama.  Let's see if I can spot a few others during my thorough review.  ^^

C-Chan

Okay, ready to roll for a while.  ^.^

QuoteBut then I realized, a lot of low-budget anime as well as most non-anime cartoons generally have little or no shading/highlights except when there are scenes with strong lighting effects (and it seems to work, even if inconsistent) and I decided to apply that here. So I don't know if that applies to manga or not, but what the heck! I went with it anyways!

Correct.  Some manga/comics even do that too -- it's a common technique for depicting night scenes or other dramatic pitch-black situations.  It would be kinda boring to illustrate night no different than day, after all.  ^^

QuoteAhahaha... Cool!... ][-sama may be really nice, but is still able to scold a spoiled girl into submission and put her in in her place! But yeah, given how hard ][-sama works, she deserves some authority status!

Correct. Kind of puts a really hilarious spin to think that ][-chan, dressed as a sweet and innocent fairy godmother figure, was perhaps moments ago acting like The Godfather towards Lisa-chan.  ^_________^;

Fufu.. I kid I kid, but she probably wasn't happy to hear about the tearing up of System 1-chan's invitation.  -v-;

QuoteYes it is! In the next two pages, there will be a few more cameo appearances! (along with some completely random people)

Well in the world of the OS-tans, there is no such thing as random people -- just random personifications of programs, daemons, firmware, hardware, malware and games.  ^_______^;

*keeps typing*

Added after 23 minutes:

PAGE 16:

HOLY CRAP!  It's already Page 16!  Time flies when you're having fun, no?  ^^;

It's a small one-pager for dramatic effect, so not much to say here.  It IS a very wonderful and appropriate touch to have the old-timey Toshiaki speak in a rather old-timey, courteous manner.  The pace of the story at this point is very good -- it's fast enough to help you get to the end a lot quicker, without sacrificing much detail.  It just works.  ^^

Guesses for the haracters in the bottom are as follows, from left to right:

1 - Lisa-chan
2 - System 1-chan?  (hair looks a bit wilder, but then she is dolled up right now)
3 - Random program-kun
4 - PET-chan?  @v@
5 - EXEC-sama.  ^^

PAGE 17:

Panel1:  Begs the question who was introduced before System1-chan. ^____^
I still can't get over the old-timey Toshiaki -- that was just a stroke of genius there.  ^-^

Panel2:  fufu... is that System1-chan facefaulting I see?  ^__'

Let's see,.. more random people,.. let's see if we can unrandomize them for a second.... ^.^

Again from Left to right, going clockwise:

1 - Commodore 64-chan decked in her finest dress.
2 - Let's just say for fun that's a high-ranking Commodore-based -kun accompanying her.  ^___^
3 - Hard to deciper their randomness,... but let's just say (also for fun) that they're affiliated with the Acorn family of old.  ^.^
4&5 - Hmmm,... top-hat dude next to EXEC-sama.  One of her retainers perhaps?
6 - Visi On-tan!!  ...Or maybe not, she's hardly stocking here.  ^.^;
7 - Pilot-chan!!!!  Wow, she's as cute as a button here!  ^-^
8 - Girl w/ Marge-style hairdo.  Hard to say,... I'll just leave as random for now. ^^;

Panel 3/4:  The sweatdrops and overall concerned expreession effectively convey the nervousness she's feeling.  Funny how this may be the last time we'll hear her talking/thinking in OldSpeak.  ^^;

Panel 5:  BWAHAHAHAH!!!!!! ^V^
Lucky for her, Old-Timey Toshiaki-dono understands NewSpeak -- to be expected from a generation that grew up with anagrams, puns and word play.  There really is No Skool Like Old Skool!  ^.^

Panel 6:  Being so short, System 1-chan looks impossibly cute when she's determined.  ^___^
BTW, it really shows she's a novice at Newspeak at this point....

*flips through dictionary*

According to Ahiru-chan's latest revision, Command Line Interface is translated to Newspeak as just "CLI".  ^____^

Panel 7:  Oh LAWD, cuteness overload. @___@

Please stand back.  ^^

*HEAD EXPLODES!!!!!!!*

All in all, you're really making incredible headway with this.  Please keep it up -- you're almost there,  Aurora-hime!!    ^V^

Aurora Borealis

Correct.  Some manga/comics even do that too -- it's a common technique for depicting night scenes or other dramatic pitch-black situations.  It would be kinda boring to illustrate night no different than day, after all.  ^^
Yeah, that would look boring without the night-time effects!

Correct. Kind of puts a really hilarious spin to think that ][-chan, dressed as a sweet and innocent fairy godmother figure, was perhaps moments ago acting like The Godfather towards Lisa-chan.  ^_________^;
*imagines ][-chan and Lisa-tan in the mentioned "Godfather" scenario* Hahahahahaha! That is just too funny!

...Feel tempted to... put that in.. as a ZS extra!

Fufu.. I kid I kid, but she probably wasn't happy to hear about the tearing up of System 1-chan's invitation.  -v-;
Sorry, you just got me tempted to do that "Godfather" scenario! XD
But seriously speaking, you're right. ][-chan would not have approved of Lisa-tan's behavior.

QuoteWell in the world of the OS-tans, there is no such thing as random people -- just random personifications of programs, daemons, firmware, hardware, malware and games.  ^_______^;
Oh! Of course!

HOLY CRAP!  It's already Page 16!  Time flies when you're having fun, no?  ^^;
it sure does!

It's a small one-pager for dramatic effect, so not much to say here.  It IS a very wonderful and appropriate touch to have the old-timey Toshiaki speak in a rather old-timey, courteous manner.  The pace of the story at this point is very good -- it's fast enough to help you get to the end a lot quicker, without sacrificing much detail.  It just works.  ^^
I really like the old-timey and courteous way of speaking! It's a shame that it is completely dead now :(

I think this is the first time I managed to do a comic at a good pace. My previous comics often turned convoluted, dragged on and got too difficult for me to continue. I still have not gotten to sketching the end, but I am near the end of page 19, with the end being on page 20 or 21 and being followed by a 2-3 page epilogue.

Then I can start the second story! However, unlike this story and the third one planned, I am really stuggling with the second one and will need  a lot of help soon.

Guesses for the haracters in the bottom are as follows, from left to right:

1 - Lisa-chan
2 - System 1-chan?  (hair looks a bit wilder, but then she is dolled up right now)
3 - Random program-kun
4 - PET-chan?  @v@
5 - EXEC-sama.  ^^
1. Correct! I seriously pity whoever gets that wrong!
2. Nope, it's Coleco Adam-tan! (note the frizzy hair)
3. Yup
4. No, PET-chan has dark hair and is probably much shorter. Good guess though. It's a random program-tan or something. Hmm... But what if she really did have light hair in her youth, and is wearing crazy high-heeled boots or something? ;012
5. Possibly.

PAGE 17:

Panel1:  Begs the question who was introduced before System1-chan. ^____^
Uhh... I'll have to leave that to your imagination ;012

I still can't get over the old-timey Toshiaki -- that was just a stroke of genius there.  ^-^
He's awesome! However, his successor isn't so much(the Toshiaki of today is typically portrayed as a pervert and/or loser), or in the case of ZS: most of his successors aren't. There's that all-around good guy Toshiaki that has appeared but there's also a perverted Toshiaki, the nasty troll, the downright idiotic guy and the malicious hacker!

Panel2:  fufu... is that System1-chan facefaulting I see?  ^__'
A little bit!

Let's see,.. more random people,.. let's see if we can unrandomize them for a second.... ^.^

Again from Left to right, going clockwise:

1 - Commodore 64-chan decked in her finest dress.
2 - Let's just say for fun that's a high-ranking Commodore-based -kun accompanying her.  ^___^
3 - Hard to deciper their randomness,... but let's just say (also for fun) that they're affiliated with the Acorn family of old.  ^.^
4&5 - Hmmm,... top-hat dude next to EXEC-sama.  One of her retainers perhaps?
6 - Visi On-tan!!  ...Or maybe not, she's hardly stocking here.  ^.^;
7 - Pilot-chan!!!!  Wow, she's as cute as a button here!  ^-^
8 - Girl w/ Marge-style hairdo.  Hard to say,... I'll just leave as random for now. ^^;
1. Correct!
2. Right-o!
3. Possibly. Is the Acorn family an old-fashioned and classy bunch?
4+5. Whoa! that lady's got a strong, coincedental resemblance to EXEC-sama! (this was drawn about a month before my first EXEC-sama drawing) Okay... She is EXEC-sama then, and the guy next to her is an affiliate of hers!
6. No, actually that's Altair-tan! ^^; That was a tough one, but she has the same hair ribbons she was wearing in the Altair + Apple I-tan portraiture!
7. That's right! And she's scared because there's another GUI OS-tan in town! ^_^
8. Yeah... that's just a random character.

Panel 3/4:  The sweatdrops and overall concerned expreession effectively convey the nervousness she's feeling.  Funny how this may be the last time we'll hear her talking/thinking in OldSpeak.  ^^;
She's nervous, yet confident at the same time, why she was able to get on stage without suffering a nervous breakdown. And this may be one of the last times she will be seen talking and thinking in Oldspeak!

Panel 5:  BWAHAHAHAH!!!!!! ^V^
Lucky for her, Old-Timey Toshiaki-dono understands NewSpeak -- to be expected from a generation that grew up with anagrams, puns and word play.  There really is No Skool Like Old Skool!  ^.^
Yeah! Long live the old skool, when people were much more sophisticated!

Panel 6:  Being so short, System 1-chan looks impossibly cute when she's determined.  ^___^
BTW, it really shows she's a novice at Newspeak at this point....

*flips through dictionary*

According to Ahiru-chan's latest revision, Command Line Interface is translated to Newspeak as just "CLI".  ^____^
It was a mistake on my behalf (didn't consider using acronyms) but considering that System 1-tan is still new to Newspeak, it's normal that she'd leave in a few unshortened words!

Panel 7:  Oh LAWD, cuteness overload. @___@

Please stand back.  ^^

*HEAD EXPLODES!!!!!!!*

*ducks behind concrete wall a split second before explosion*
*peeks out from behind wall to scan for carnage in thread*
*sweatdrops, grabs mop and starts cleaning*

All in all, you're really making incredible headway with this.  Please keep it up -- you're almost there,  Aurora-hime!!    ^V^
Thanks! I am so glad that I am almost all the way there! The hardest thing for me when it comes to stories is finding a smooth way for it to end (hence the convoluted messes I made in the past) but I found a way this time! Whoo-hooo!