OK, I'm guilty

Started by iDarbert, June 06, 2008, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Although I know how to make the other frames, I don't know how to make it all into one animation :(

C-Chan

Well you still have Photoshop on your Mac, no?  It should come bundled with ImageReady, which makes beautiful GIF animations.  :D

There really aren't that many free GIF animation applications, due to patent issues (as well as a drive towards new alternatives).

CaptBrenden

Problem with Image ready is that it doesnt have a very friendly animation interface.. at least when I last used it. Tho its what I planed on using for my carmeldansen.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

NejinOniwa

GIMP can handle GIF animation, and the interface is friendly enough for me to use, but I doubt it's the best software for the task.

Isn't there a .png-based variant that can store animated layers?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

Aw darn. I searched on my computer and I don't have ImageReady :(

CaptBrenden

what version of adobe photoshop do you have?

Bella

Haha! Good job Aurora!

I gotsa do one of these parodies, though....

C-Chan

According to the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageready

Imageready should be bundled with all releases from Photoshop 5.5 going forward.  I myself own 6.0, so I've used ImageReady quite comfortably for a few years now (and it runs quite solid in Wine).  Admittedly, while Gimp GAP is a fine solution for people on a budget (and who don't want to skim the surfaces for questionable shareware), it's not really the same thing -- then again, for legal reasons, it's not really a feature that can be perfected much to begin with.  ;)

Much like Flash, GIF is a proprietary solution that is best worked with a proprietary program.  Despite its flaws, Imageready is workable, offers a very robust timeline and optimization functions, and is usually bundled with PS.  :D

I'm wondering,.... it may not be displayed as an icon in your Applications folder , but it might still be accessible from within Photoshop.  See if you can click on that bottom icon in the main toolbar (it looks like an eye in version 6.0) -- this is the ImageReady Quick Link.

Worse comes to worse, work on the frames with confidence, then one of us can compile the images into a nice GIF animation for you.  ^^

QuoteIsn't there a .png-based variant that can store animated layers?

That would be "MNG"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mng

...but it's not well supported by anything.  Animated SVGs probably have more browser support than MNGs ever will, and that's saying A LOT.  ^^;

Darknight_88

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Aw darn. I searched on my computer and I don't have ImageReady :(

Maybe you didn't installed it >_>

I have PS7 and I unchecked the ImageReady option when installing. So no IR for me =/.

SleepyD

dk has a point. although I usually install IR purely for gif editing purposes.

ah imageready.... it's a pain in the butt sometimes, but it does it's job.

just fyi, the caramelldansen gif I have right now has 16 frames, but you could probably pare that down a bit, since i think got a hi-quality gif/screencap thingy.

Aurora Borealis

I am also using PS7. And maybe I didn't install IR

NejinOniwa

QuoteThat would be "MNG"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mng

...but it's not well supported by anything. Animated SVGs probably have more browser support than MNGs ever will, and that's saying A LOT. ^^;
Actually, it was APNG i was thinking about, which is supported by Gran Paradiso a3 and upwards - meaningly, once Firefox 3 goes out of Release Candidate stage somewhere now in June, the support for APNG should increase to some 20% or what now it is FF is holding, of all internet users (provided, of course, that all users immediately update their browser to FF3 over FF2, which is not likely to happen, but still).

Still, I don't even know what program to encode it with >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

iDarbert

Quote from: "CaptBrenden"what version of adobe photoshop do you have?
I suspect it's CS3 wich has the ImageReady feature buried in that mess of menus.

You have to activate the Animation workspace or something.

CaptBrenden

I have 7, and as C-Chan said, at the botom of the toolbar there is a button to swap back and forth between the programs, id try that if I were you.  Do you still have your photoshop cds?  im sure you can install it now if you do.