How many progams run simultaneously in your OS?

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, May 04, 2008, 10:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

There is a flame platform war spreading into internet...

People want to know how many programs an OS can run simultaneously before crashing...

And what is the more robust OS that could support ALL this stress...

Here some videos and some links:

It started MacOS X with 150 Apps:

http://gizmodo.com/376497/mac-with-150-apps-running-shows-teeny+weeny-dock-expos-windows

Then it come Windows Vista with 108 apps, but only 30% resource consuming...

http://gizmodo.com/377255/vista-running-108-apps-bites-mac-os-x-back

And In the end Linux with 165 apps running simultaneously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaGpRIKCWSE

(And this is all regarding processes really running simultaneously)

Also in the Amiga scene we are curious about that, but Amiga opens different separate graphical screens for each program it runs, so you cannot easily see it running simultaneously on the same screen...

To make a simple but different "brute force" test (how many simultaneous processes are running but not computing any active output), an Amiga user opened 1308 simultaneous calculator utility programs on his AmigaONE, before the hand on the mouse starting hurts him)...

http://hem.bredband.net/deniil/pics/ManyPrograms.jpg

Another Amiga user launched 301 simultaneous clocks on his old Amiga 2000 accelerated with 68060 CPU:

http://home.people.net.au/~vortexau/images/300clock.jpg

See the discussion here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25916&forum=2#437747

To make an example, according to a Windows user, his XP starts doing silly things when you open more than 117 simultaneous calculators...

Your OS and your installation can perform more?
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Bella

I don't think I've ever run more than 3 or 4 programs at once...(not counting Explorer windows). I don't think I'm gonna try this, either. XD

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

CyberFoxx

If we're talking about outright number of processes, then right now my Gentoo/x86 desktop has 110 processes, and that's pretty much the average for it. My PII 300 server (Also running Gentoo) currently has 114 processes. Mind you, most of all of those processes are sleeping. But even then, most of the apps shown in those links appear to be sleeping as well.

Remember, Number of Apps running != Number of Processes. I can open up 100 ssh sessions to my server and only have 100 ssh processes on my desktop, but have 200 sshd processes on my server. (2 processes are opened per connection, 3 if you count bash in there as well.)

And don't get me started on number of threads!

NejinOniwa

Currently I has 42 processes running.
That ought to answer everything.
Yes, EVERYTHING. >:3

bobthemanofsteel

I run Vista Home Basic And It has trouble with 3 or 4 windows, crap PC but.

NejinOniwa

...Vista?
...Home?
...Basic!?
[/i]

REPENT! REPENT! REPENT! REPENT!
>_>

Bella

If processes count as running programs, then I have 35 going as of now.

Odin Yggdrasil

A friend of mine produced a C script that would automatically open as many programs as possible- and actually discovered a physical limit of 1024 open programs on Windows XP.

Been meaning to reproduce his code since it was basically just an endless loop of std::system ("start program.exe"); on a Vista machine and see how far it will go.

Though I kind of feel bad for this now, imagining what the OS-tans would look like while trying to carry such extreme loads. Then again they see the same kind of load patterns when running my experimental software that from time to time accidentally sends the CPU to 100% for a few hours at a time...

NejinOniwa

I wonder if that limitation applies to x64 XP as well? If not, that'd be another interesting thing to research.

As for things running on my computer...well, hardcore gaming, max settings drive the cpu load to about 40%. Never seen it max out, actually, though it desperately needs better cooling. I've never tested how many programs I can run simultaneously, but I do on a daily basis have, say, 2 instances of Firefox, Winamp, uTorrent, CCC, PC Probe, and say, Mass Effect or Devil May Cry 4 open and running at the same time (and I has dual screens, so yes, I can use them all at simultaneously >:3) without experiencing any kind of problems...well, except shit overheating, of course, but that's just how this thing works...so I guess there's the matter of just running a program, and actually being able to use a program or lots of them, at the same time.

Odin Yggdrasil

My P4HT was always running hot as well, at 3.4 GHz it is the most powerful chip you could get in socket 478- and it ran so hot in fact that Intel's OEM heat sink could not handle it once it got above 70% load.

I originally built it for a heavy-duty number crunching program I had made, basically it was a Visual Basic program that emulated biologic neural activity but resulted in sending the CPU to full load for hours on end.

Been meaning to try the same program on my new laptop as it has a dual-core processor, but I really need to rewrite my program so it makes better use of the dual core capabilities.

So far though it is usually CAD and Video Editing that is the only things to come close to maxing out my CPU aside from experimental codes like that.

And yes, I think it is worth trying that test to an x64 OS. It probably hasn't changed, since really I can only think of one time you would ever need more than 1024 programs running and that would be the incomplete C++ version of the neural matrix program, since I am planning on having each neuron get it's own mini-program that manages it so that it is better compatible with multiple core processing and imitates organic behavior better than a sequential-indexed firing scheme.

Rulix

I have never run more than 5 or 6 applications at the same time.

I have windows xp home

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "Rulix"I have never run more than 5 or 6 applications at the same time.

I have windows xp home

O Rly?

Try to press once CTRL+ALT+CANC keys at same time...

It will bring up Task Manager Window, Click on the Process Tab and see how many processes are running underneath...

Many of them are .EXE files, i.e. real programs.

Windows XP runs lots of programs and processes to perform its functions.

It is really definitevely more than the 5 or 6 programs that you believed are the maximum you ran...
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

NejinOniwa

Umu. Even the base processes are like, 50-something. XP is DEAD on 5 processes, dude.

Odin Yggdrasil

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Umu. Even the base processes are like, 50-something. XP is DEAD on 5 processes, dude.

As of this morning I had XP Professional on a customer's computer stable with a mere 16 processes going. If I shut off Spybot S&D, that would drop to only 15.

While I too doubt that XP-tan could handle being stripped down to only five processes, that would be one to test and see if it was possible. I could almost see that happening when in safe mode so nothing else was running...

What interests me is why Vis-tan has yet to go below 30 processes without crashing hard.