Bella's OS-tan Manga Thread

Started by Bella, April 17, 2008, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteWonderful -- so basically, you're manga-like art really IS now quite manga-quality. I know you started doing pencil-only sketching to save time and get the story moving forward much more quickly. But as long as you got the handle on speed, by all means I support this new approach. ^^

Then again, looking at your previous battles pages,... they're still pretty darn sharp. From a cost-benefit standpoint, not sure if inking them now lends much more than what you previously succeeded in doing. 'v'

I think inking is now giving me a bit more speed, actually. Whereas before I had to go back and clean up all the stray lines and stuff from the penciling...I can be a little quicker with just the ink. I still use the pencil for some larger areas of shading, though...

QuoteI warned you about UNIX-sama smiling, no? ^.~

Panel 1 shows a very BEAUTIFUL profile shot of UNIX-sama tormenting the young VMS-san. Plus seeing her tap the forcefield playfully is a very clever touch, and does much to illustrate the character of the goddess. ^^

Oh yes...I'm sure she loves to mess around with her opponent's minds like that... :P

QuoteAm obliged to point out a little mistake in her text box, though. It reads "...who taught that you little trick", instead of "...who taught you that little trick". ^^;

Oh no! My (semi-imagined case of) dyslexia! >___<

QuoteHow CUTE! ^v^

That's a far cry from the tall, elegant enchantress we saw back in Page 4. ^.^

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s320/BellasOS-tans/comicpage4sm.png

Well yeah, this is supposed to be in 1978...wasn't BSD made in 1977, '78?

QuoteWhich one? There were about 3 WOTW movies issued in the vicinty of 2005, and all of them made mincemeat of the incredible story-telling power of the original book. One of the things both the 1953 non-tripod version and the Steven Spielberg version have in common is that they fail to give the humans a fighting chance. This establishes the notion of blind extermination without the political and philosophical metaphors that accompanied the original book, where the Martian tripods, while certainly a lot more technologically-advanced, were not invincible (especially to the Thunder Child).

I meant the Steven Spielberg version.

QuoteThough not apparent to the narrator until the end of the novel, strategy is actually a very integral part to the Martian invasion of Britain only, the heart of human military might at that time. Aside from crippling the humans' ability to defend themselves and establish a beach head for further colonization(?) efforts, the lightning-quick attacks to all the major cities were as much a distraction to allow unhindered completion of the Martians' Flying Machines (revealed at the end of the book), which would have made further attacks on the humans (who lacked anti-air capabilities) a veritable turkey shoot.

Even the consumption of human blood was apparently not intended to be a goal, but rather a perceived side-benefit to the invasion given the similarity human beings had to the martian bipeds they already consumed. I always imagined that the consumption of human blood actually hastened the Martian's sickness, as they ingested all sorts of bacteria they weren't meant to eat. ^^;

Lastly, the most powerful weapon the Martian's possessed was not the heat ray, but rather the Black Dust, which was a kind of poison gas that foreshadowed its deadly use during World War I only a few decades later. This was rereimagined frighteningly by Orson Welles' radio show during the 30's, but omitted in all movies ever since due to budgetary or time constraints. But in doing so, it removes one of the most damning aspects of the original book -- taking away the modern machinery, a well-employed use of "low-tech" weaponry is enough to bring a population to its knees, no matter how mighty its military is (as was the case with Colonial Britain). The same obviously held true for the Martians in the end.

And why in the world did I spend so much time talking about WOTW? Maybe I just like the book so much? -.-'

No problem, you just gave me a lesson in the differences between the different movies and the book :P

QuoteYeah, I already used my "Ramble" card on WOTW. ^.^
Just watch the latest Indiana Jones movies for the central theme behind Paleo-SETI research. It's an interesting field, although it tends to distract too much over the alternatives explanation that more advanced human civilizations could have also existed. Not to say the two are mutually-exclusive -- plus there's strong motivation for the powers-that-be to withhold evidence of either possibility.

Ahhhh, so this goes back to the idea of an ancient society with advanced technology...?

QuoteWait,... so now we're shipping UNIX-sama and VMS-sama? ^^;

*ponders*

Hmmmmmm,... guess that could work..... ^3^;

*hears sound of two pairs of boots hurling his way*

Eeep.... ^^;

*SQUASH!!!!!!!!*

You...you men and your shipping! Y...you pigs...!

Oh....I mean....

Sorry, not that kinda pig, the other kinda pig ^/////^

QuoteAwww... so now VMS-sama [unwittingly] hit below UNIX-sama's built. -.-

That's a very interesting way that VMS-sama killed off UNIX-sama's will to fight. Sure, it sounds anti-climactic to the uninformed reader -- but considering we've all but INVENTED Unix sap, I know why I should feel sad, and at the same time happy that the fight didn't get any worse than it could've. ^^

I also think that even if on a subconscious level, Unix-sama wouldn't want to hurt Multics-sama any farther...and that includes anybody who may be "close" to her (even though VMS-sama isn't necessarily that close to Multics-sama, Unix-sama doesn't know this). I guess VMS-sama fessing up about having learned that spell from Multics-sama was about the best thing she could do ensure her survival ;)

QuoteYay! Loli BSD-chan! ^^

Course, now that she's essentially "unsquashed", VMS-sama's profile shots look pretty annd delicate again. ^^
And UNIX-sama,... well, you can never go wrong with her, but her surprised expression in the last panel is outright lo-ve-ly. ^.^

I'm very curious to see what's gonna happen from here on out. ^-^

Lol...loli BSD-chan...oh gawd what have I done O___O

C-Chan

*snivel, snorts and oinks through thread, rummaging for new pages*

No new pages?  Oh,... okay,... hope to see the continuation, though. ^^

*wags tail*

I'm flagging this page for upcoming responses, so don't go away.  ^^

*C-chan flags thread*

Added after 10 hours 56 minutes:

BTW, I know it's in the wrong spot to post this, but as long as VMS-sama is around....

Here's another potential CIOST member with GREAT potential,... and no small grudge against M$.  ^^;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTRON
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_Project

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/31855.html

Bella

I am fail, I have been so busy I haven't been able to finish any pages lately. Don't worry, though, cause I AM going to finish this! I swear!

As for TRON, I think we've been beat to the punch...

http://ostan.nazo.cc/

I dunno, thy just list this as TRON. I never figured it was more than a kernel, that's why I never really gave much thought to it.

They say it's the most used OS though! In mobile phones, digital cameras, CD players and more--I wonder if my D70 camera runs on it...?

Aurora Borealis

That TRON-tan is a pretty cool-looking character, but  no references to the movie "Tron"?! For shame!

C-Chan

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah,... so THAT'S what that TRON section was all about!  KEWL!!!  The mystery is finally resolved, and yes I love these designs!  (Especially that full-body regal shot where she has that flowing futuristic kimono, and braided pigtails).

Indeed, seeing these pictures really get the creative juices flowing.  ^__^

I'm envisioning her as the quiet, super-genius of the CIOST -- and perhaps the one primarily responsible for their technological edge relative to their rivals.  She provides members with equipment, weapons, quick-deployment structures and drones, but otherwise keeps to herself as she manages her quiet electronic empire (and corresponding cash flow) under the radar.

While no UNIX-sama, she certainly has a calm, calculating and fearless demeanor that intimidates those already fearful of her mysterious aura. Since she likely embodies BTRON, I'm going to take a page from Shakugan no Shana and say that ITRON and CTRON are perhaps sentient accessories that she wears.  Since one is bombastic and the other kindly, they offer an id/superego-like counterbalance to the emotionless technobabble she mainly utters.  All three usually argue, debate and compromise with eachother while designing a new invention -- a very humerous tug-of-war between business, industrial and IT viewpoints from someone who looks like she's schizophrenically arguing with herself, but one that eventually produces good results.

She's a poor fighter using her own strength, but aside from having a legion of powerful CIOST-tans to protect her (being such a valuable asset), she can also use nano-machines to take control of appliances and even inanimate metal objects like swords, in order to turn them against her assailants.  ROM-DOS-tan also has this same ability -- it might not be difficult to assume that the younger girl wages silent skirmishes against TRON-sama in order to test her skills.

QuoteThat TRON-tan is a pretty cool-looking character, but no references to the movie "Tron"?! For shame!

I actually purposely excluded references to TRON, since it might be too obvious.  ^^
However, I think that would be a running gag -- anyone who meets her chastises her for not making her inventions more "TRON-the-movie-like", or for not using a glowing disk as her primary weapon.  Might be funnier still if she, even after all these years, doesn't know or care what they're talking about.  ^^;

BTW, I might be reposting the image above, because it won't display from my location.  ^^;

[attachment deleted by admin]

NejinOniwa

TRON-tan looks kinda neat there.

Frankly, though, I have to say the Tron movie absolutely sucked.
The only good thing that's come out of it is the Lightcycles clone Armagetron Advanced, and even that's just minor.
I guess I suck at appreciating movies >_>
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

QuoteAaaaaaaaaaaaah,... so THAT'S what that TRON section was all about! KEWL!!! The mystery is finally resolved, and yes I love these designs! (Especially that full-body regal shot where she has that flowing futuristic kimono, and braided pigtails).

Indeed, seeing these pictures really get the creative juices flowing. ^__^

I'm envisioning her as the quiet, super-genius of the CIOST -- and perhaps the one primarily responsible for their technological edge relative to their rivals. She provides members with equipment, weapons, quick-deployment structures and drones, but otherwise keeps to herself as she manages her quiet electronic empire (and corresponding cash flow) under the radar.

While no UNIX-sama, she certainly has a calm, calculating and fearless demeanor that intimidates those already fearful of her mysterious aura. Since she likely embodies BTRON, I'm going to take a page from Shakugan no Shana and say that ITRON and CTRON are perhaps sentient accessories that she wears. Since one is bombastic and the other kindly, they offer an id/superego-like counterbalance to the emotionless technobabble she mainly utters. All three usually argue, debate and compromise with eachother while designing a new invention -- a very humerous tug-of-war between business, industrial and IT viewpoints from someone who looks like she's schizophrenically arguing with herself, but one that eventually produces good results.

She's a poor fighter using her own strength, but aside from having a legion of powerful CIOST-tans to protect her (being such a valuable asset), she can also use nano-machines to take control of appliances and even inanimate metal objects like swords, in order to turn them against her assailants. ROM-DOS-tan also has this same ability -- it might not be difficult to assume that the younger girl wages silent skirmishes against TRON-sama in order to test her skills.

Wow, you have her all thought out...she could very well be the most famous, or perhaps popular, of the CIOST-tans...! I have to do a fanart now ;)

QuoteI actually purposely excluded references to TRON, since it might be too obvious. ^^
However, I think that would be a running gag -- anyone who meets her chastises her for not making her inventions more "TRON-the-movie-like", or for not using a glowing disk as her primary weapon. Might be funnier still if she, even after all these years, doesn't know or care what they're talking about. ^^;

I dunno what you guys are talking about...I've never seen TRON :P

Bella

I promise that I will finish up the DEC comic...I really do. But lately I've been trying a different direction with this Linux-sama comic. For such a complicated tale, I don't want it to be a great big story; just a great story. Short, sweet, and to the point. At least I hope.
At times historical accuracy may be suspended a bit for the sake of storytelling, yet I hope to stay fairly true to actual events ;)

Chapter one: She Walks With Us, but is not One of Us
(wordy title, eh?)

Pages 1-12 (the whole chapter)

Notes: the main part of the story is taking place in 1993. While Plan 9 wasn't released until 92/93, it had been developed since the mid 80s. I didn't know what time we supposed Xenix-san would have been killed; whether this was a close call or the time of her actual death will remain intentionally unclear.  I tried to make Plan 9 and Unix-sama look quite alike as the two OSes were remarkably alike (duh); while Plan 9-san had dark hair in her youth, stress started to gray it. She appears quite young here, and I do imagine even in her maturity she'd look no older than 18 or 19 years (cause Plan 9 is immature as most OSes go, or so I hear). Solaris-tan has a cameo in 3 pages, and those "cousins" Plan 9-tan speaks of are the BSD sisters.

Please don't kill me mods for the huge pictures O___O

Aurora Borealis

SWEEEEEEET! 12 pages of Bella comic goodness! :D

pages 1 + 2: Linux-san as a young girl doing farm work to get some money- Really shows that she has gone a long way to be where and who she is now!

pages 3 + 4: They grow up so fast, don't they? I swear, I nearly cried reading this page! The dialogue and facial expressions are beautiful and moving! *sniffle* Minix-sensei is letting go of her student to go out into the cold and dangerous world!

page 5: Linux-san really is lucky. Very few OS-tans around at the time were not affected by the Unix Wars or OS Wars. Excellent job with the city scenery!

And is that... Plan 9-san?! Wow! I did not recognize her at first! The years have really done a number on her, huh? ;012

page 6: More sap, and a side of Plan 9-san never seen before: in her childhood when she idolized her mother, Unix-sama! A reflection of how Plan 9 is "more Unix than Unix"! Of course they are very very different in mindset! (and young schoolgirl Plan 9-tan is especially cute in the second-to-last panel!)

page 7: Plan 9-san sure does not seem to be fine! Plan 9-san and Linux-san encountering each other? This is going to be interesting!

page 8: See, Linux-san? Not all the Unices are scary! Only most of them are! ;006

And Plan 9-san confronting Unix-sama... I wonder if this is the start of Plan 9-san's uprising!

page 9: Gotta admit that I agree with Unix-sama about Xenix-san's death- she brought it on herself :(

I feel sad for Plan 9-san too.

page 10: Darn right, Plan 9-san! Standing strong on what you believe in (for a good cause!) and putting your destiny in your own hands! Darn right! ;019 ;019

page 11: Plan 9-san-- no... Plan 9-sama is so righteous! Uprising against her mother and changing her own destiny for her own good (and to not want to hurt her family), and advising Linux-san against entering the Unix family because it could break her spirit!

And when Plan 9-sama goes to visit her cousins, the BSD-tans... Is that when they form the User Space Gang?

page 12: So much sap on this page! Especially on the last panel, the two show a potential for friendship!

C-Chan

WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!  This is so unfair.  So much beautiful stuff, and I can't even issue a proper response yet.  I feel bad.  ;_____;

Do wait for me...
This is a brilliant piece of story-telling that I have to carefully review piece by piece, so as to give you the kind of proper critique you deserve!  ^-^

In the meantime, please forgive this foolish old pig for this pitifully-small post.  -.-

C-Chan

Okay, last but not least, Bella-hime's masterpiece.  ^>^

QuoteI promise that I will finish up the DEC comic...I really do. But lately I've been trying a different direction with this Linux-sama comic. For such a complicated tale, I don't want it to be a great big story; just a great story. Short, sweet, and to the point. At least I hope.
At times historical accuracy may be suspended a bit for the sake of storytelling, yet I hope to stay fairly true to actual events

Thank you Bella-hime!  I love the fast and steady pace of your story-telling, and the mangaesque quality of the illustration!!  ^v^

PAGE 1:

The first panel actually illustrates the great time-saving technique used to work the backgrounds -- you add only enough detail to convey the appearance and scale you're intending, without going overboard with detail and thus detracting away from the characters.  ^__^

Hiding Linux-sama's face with her hat is an intriguing touch, and more intriguing is the fact that she does recognize herself as being UNIX-like.  ^___^

Somewhere you said you loved horses -- and the way you richly defined the horse really shows that.

The first time that Linux-sama reveals her face demonstrates how truly mangaesque your comic is.  One of the greatest strengths of manga art is its recreation of realistic, movie-quality camera angles, and that particular shot (along with the next one of her behind ITS-sama) shows some incredibly kick-ass angle work.  ^.^

Love the fact that Linux-chan was quite capable of handling ITS-sama's workload -- no doubt ITS-sama lived her whole life among people unwilling or unable to handle even a quarter of those tasks, so the emergence of this Renaissance Girl was unexpected.

And like with the moped (yeah!), Linux-sama's greatest strength is in her superhuman ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to her surroundings (or even to the tactics of enemies).

Not to say it isn't cute to see her a little,... young and insecure.  ^.^

PAGE 2:

BWAHAHAH!!!  MINIX-SENSEI is C-U-T-E!!!!!  ^0^
So is the rather mopey Linux-chan, but Minix-sensei definitely has the charm of the child-types that were still so common in those days.  ^_____^

Although Minix-sensei recognized Linux-sama's potential, it begs the question whether she truly realized the extent with which she would come to change the world.  It also shows the nobility of Minix-sensei's own personal conviction, who sacrificed her own personal success (and possibly even her professional standing) to help her student realize her own full potential.

Just spotted a small spelling mistake in Minix-sensei's [good] advice to avoid those silly wars -- it should be "Keep as far away...".  ^^

PAGE 3:

Kino's Journey references aside, you have some gushingly-beautiful backgrounds going on in these panels.  I have a small hunch that the whole town (and cafe) is teaming with easter eggs (in fact, what's the name of the cafe?), but can't really make it out.

There's something that can be said by Linux-sama's early life in relative peace compared to the Unixes' life immersed in a crazy war.  While this hardens the UNIX-tans into far better fighters in the short-term, Linux-sama is allowed to evolve into a far more complete, independent and incorruptible individual, paving the way to be a smarter, more efficient and more motivated fighter in the long-term.

PAGE 4:

Ah, my poor young Plan9-chan!  ;~;
She's so poor and cute and,... oh LAWD, the bunny ears!!  I must... touch.... them.... *gets hypnotized by ears*  @v@

Hell, get me a mansion and call me a playboy, but she's helluva cute!  ^.^

You're right, though,... the younger Plan9-chan looks so much like UNIX-sama -- even her bunny ears seem like longer extensions of owl ears.  ^^

But her cafe version clearly shows whiter hair, so I'm guessing by then stress has taken her toll.  '__'

That other UNIX-tan in the last panel would be Solaris-san, no? That would be Cameo #1.  ^^

PAGE 5:

Wow,... Plan9-chan couldn't look more downtrodden if she tried.  ^^;

Any chance on divulging the identity of the waitress?  Nice to know she's in touch with the rumor mill and knows all about Linux-sama's handiwork. ^.^

Ah, NOW we see Plan9-chan in some action.  ^.^
The two panels where we see shocked profile shots of her show a very subtle genius in camera angle/focus and (especially in the last panel) literary lighting.  The gradient literally feels like a resonance or echo that helps accentuate the shock of the revelation.  ^.^

PAGE 6:

I know Linux-sama is thinking that, but not sure if Plan9-san is also thinking the preceding text.  Perhaps she is, not wanting to reveal that UNIX-sama is not particularly fond of the young Linux-chan's existence.

It's actually kinda fortunate that the two Unixes that Linux-sama became acquainted with first were two of the most idealistic Unices alive back then.  ^___^

Panel 4 (the beginning of the momentous flashbak) has a very nice closeup shot of a shocked Plan9-chan -- I like it, and more and more you prove what an invaluable idea it was to downturn her ears since they truly accentuate her sadness in ways previously unimaginable.  ^__^

The minor details in UNIX-sama's office are clever, and I think I see another cameo appearance of Solaris-san.  That makes #2.  ^.^

You're already a veteran drawing the Goddess, so no additional praise is required to divulge the full extent of my swoonage every time I see a depiction of yours of UNIX-sama.  ^__^

PAGE 7:

Compared to the previous comic, it's actually kinda scary to see UNIX-sama in a real pinch for once.  Evenm though she's still personally invincible, that is meaningless when its her own children -- her own bloodline -- that's under attack (worse, attacking eachother).  Her hands do look a bit strange in the first panel, though.  Even if they're gloves, they seem a bit too thick.

The slightly phased girl in Panel 3... I thought that was Plan9-chan shocked by UNIX-sama's rather harsh words, but the hair is light-colored.  Is that Solaris-sama's 3rd appearance by any chance? ^__^

Panel 4 Plan9=chan is downright heartbreaking. I Imagine she, like other Unices, didn't approve of Xenix-sama's early career path -- but unlike her sisters, she would have at least appreciated Xenix-sama's incorruptible honesty and loyalty, two traits rare among Unices of the day.

The last panel is a kind of fish-eye shot common in professional mangas -- I applaud you for executing it wonderfully.  ^v^

PAGE 8:

I think this is the greatest congregation of dramatic shots I've seen in this comic!  ^^

First we have an extremely hurt Plan9-chan, fighting back and ultimately losing to a fierce trickle of tears, while coming to terms with the fact that everything that she's ever believed in her whole life has been dashed to pieces in less than a few minutes.  

Next we have an angry and defiant Plan9-chan, asserting herself perhaps for the first time in her life, while also fighting back the sadness that she's essentially turning her back on her mother.

Then we have Plan9-chan LITERALLY turning her back on her mother, all the while UNIX-sama is scolding her from behind.  Followed closely by an AWESOME closeup of the goddess, the fiercness of her bell-labs eyes conveying both fury at the childish rantings of Plan9-chan, as well as a sense of desperation at the thought of losing yet another daughter.

Then finally, the coup de grace,...

Plan9-chan offering a very UNIX-sama-esque profile shot of herself uttering a blunt but strongly-worded counterattack to her mother's chiding.  This is perhaps an unintended foreshadowing of her own strength that she would one day belay as the powerful and strongly-willed leader of her own subfaction.  ^^

Unbeknownst to her, I think her last biting statement was like an emotional stab in the heart for UNIX-sama, and might have helped slide her into the depression state.  After all, at that time, it really did seem like her fate was not all that much better than that of MULTICS-sama several decades earlier.

It also seems interesting to note that UNIX-sama's anger stemmed from Plan9-san's refusal to follow the status quo -- to not become a cannibal in order to survive in a world full of cannibals.  But while it takes courage to say "yes" and do things that you're not proud of, it takes even MORE courage to say "no" and do things that no one else but yourself feels proud of.  Perhaps in a moment of realization, UNIX-sama rememebered that she was once born to say "no" and change the status quo, and somewhere along the line, despite all her strength and power, got eaten.

That's way I feel that, after her depression (and concurrent acquaintance with Linux-sama), she devoted the rest of her life to reshake the status quo at its core (despite the protestations of her hard-lined daughters).

PAGE 9:

Damn cute face on Linux-chan there in panels 1 and 2.  ^.^

I see there's a small reference to the BSD-tans, that's very neat. ^^
FreeBSD-chan certainly would've had the foresight to think "%#%@ this #%#&!", and just walked off and left without much notice, taking her older and younger sister with her.  The older Unices expecting them to come crawling back like the "impudent" children that they were would've severely underestimated their resourcefulness, virtually en par with Linux-sama's.

The last panel, set amidst beautiful scenery, has the same kind of charm as a panel of Aurora's micro-chibis.  The characters have only enough detail to portray who they are, but it's rendered in a very effective and cute manner that's simply a joy to watch.  Linux-sama looks adorably humble, although I do have to point out that her hair style seems a bit different than from the earlier pages. ^___^

PAGE 10:

About 10 or 20 lumps of kudos go to the very effective placement of a lens flare in her glasses.  I think it does much to reflect "tears" of sorts in her eyes.

Likewise, Linux-sama's innocent face in Panel 3 conveys a supreme sense of sympathy and honesty -- combined with her beautifully concise and common sensical appraisal of love, and its no wonder Plan 9-chan hugs her.

All in all, the comic is beautifully written and drawn, and downright epic.  It illustrates an amazing character depth that brings tremendous justice to the characters we've drawn in only a handful of drawings.  It also demonstrates the remarkable extent of all the research you've conducted to make the charming personifications historically-accurate.

The pencil-drawn style is good enough to get the story moving along and is very effective in its own right -- however, if it were to be refined further (and some copyright material verified), I think it can stand as its own publishable work.  Even this forum, I feel, is woefully inadequate to offer this ingenius piece of artwork a good home, and foster the kind of growth needed to expand it further.

I have an awful track record keeping promises, but perhaps that's due to lack of purpose.  If you ever do feel the need to escalate the comic further, you can be damned sure I'll be happy and proud to volunteer my skills and services.  ^___^

I won't go anywhere with my OS-tan artwork (that's a fact, not false modesty), but you still can and I'd love it if you did.  ^^

If Svetlana Chmakova could do it....  Â¯v¯

Bella

I'm running a bit outta time and will have to respond...much, much, much, later...but thanks for the review! FYI, that's not ITS-san, that's some random farmer-lady :P

Bella

QuoteSWEEEEEEET! 12 pages of Bella comic goodness!

pages 1 + 2: Linux-san as a young girl doing farm work to get some money- Really shows that she has gone a long way to be where and who she is now!

pages 3 + 4: They grow up so fast, don't they? I swear, I nearly cried reading this page! The dialogue and facial expressions are beautiful and moving! *sniffle* Minix-sensei is letting go of her student to go out into the cold and dangerous world!

Well I'm happy you found it so moving :..)

Quotepage 5: Linux-san really is lucky. Very few OS-tans around at the time were not affected by the Unix Wars or OS Wars. Excellent job with the city scenery!

This reflects on how Linux was very uneffected by the troubles of the day--it flew under the radar, as to say. Probably a very good thing, considering... O__O

QuoteAnd is that... Plan 9-san?! Wow! I did not recognize her at first! The years have really done a number on her, huh?

page 6: More sap, and a side of Plan 9-san never seen before: in her childhood when she idolized her mother, Unix-sama! A reflection of how Plan 9 is "more Unix than Unix"! Of course they are very very different in mindset! (and young schoolgirl Plan 9-tan is especially cute in the second-to-last panel!)

Exactly right, Aurora-sama!

Quotepage 7: Plan 9-san sure does not seem to be fine! Plan 9-san and Linux-san encountering each other? This is going to be interesting!
page 8: See, Linux-san? Not all the Unices are scary! Only most of them are!
I feel sad for Plan 9-san too.

Now now, they aren't scary, they're just...okay yeah scary.

Quotepage 10: Darn right, Plan 9-san! Standing strong on what you believe in (for a good cause!) and putting your destiny in your own hands! Darn right!

page 11: Plan 9-san-- no... Plan 9-sama is so righteous! Uprising against her mother and changing her own destiny for her own good (and to not want to hurt her family), and advising Linux-san against entering the Unix family because it could break her spirit!

And when Plan 9-sama goes to visit her cousins, the BSD-tans... Is that when they form the User Space Gang?

page 12: So much sap on this page! Especially on the last panel, the two show a potential for friendship!

Thank you for the review! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the first chapter :D

QuoteThank you Bella-hime! I love the fast and steady pace of your story-telling, and the mangaesque quality of the illustration!! ^v^

...so much for steady, I seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock with my next chapter (involving VMS-sama and her backstory). It was getting a bit dull, IMHO...more on this, later ;)

QuotePAGE 1:

The first panel actually illustrates the great time-saving technique used to work the backgrounds -- you add only enough detail to convey the appearance and scale you're intending, without going overboard with detail and thus detracting away from the characters. ^__^

Hiding Linux-sama's face with her hat is an intriguing touch, and more intriguing is the fact that she does recognize herself as being UNIX-like. ^___^

Somewhere you said you loved horses -- and the way you richly defined the horse really shows that.

The first time that Linux-sama reveals her face demonstrates how truly mangaesque your comic is. One of the greatest strengths of manga art is its recreation of realistic, movie-quality camera angles, and that particular shot (along with the next one of her behind ITS-sama) shows some incredibly kick-ass angle work. ^.^

Love the fact that Linux-chan was quite capable of handling ITS-sama's workload -- no doubt ITS-sama lived her whole life among people unwilling or unable to handle even a quarter of those tasks, so the emergence of this Renaissance Girl was unexpected.

And like with the moped (yeah!), Linux-sama's greatest strength is in her superhuman ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to her surroundings (or even to the tactics of enemies).

Not to say it isn't cute to see her a little,... young and insecure. ^.^

-like hands, backgrounds I'm quite weak at. But I try!
-Linux-sama admiting she's Unix-like comes from the fact that Linux was originally "advertised" as a Unix clone. She had better recognize that fact!
-Mopeds are fun, what can I say :P

QuotePAGE 2:

BWAHAHAH!!! MINIX-SENSEI is C-U-T-E!!!!! ^0^
So is the rather mopey Linux-chan, but Minix-sensei definitely has the charm of the child-types that were still so common in those days. ^_____^

Although Minix-sensei recognized Linux-sama's potential, it begs the question whether she truly realized the extent with which she would come to change the world. It also shows the nobility of Minix-sensei's own personal conviction, who sacrificed her own personal success (and possibly even her professional standing) to help her student realize her own full potential.

Just spotted a small spelling mistake in Minix-sensei's [good] advice to avoid those silly wars -- it should be "Keep as far away...". ^^

-I don't think Minix-sensei or anybody for that matter realized what would come of her.
-Mild dislexia at work >:P

QuotePAGE 3:

Kino's Journey references aside, you have some gushingly-beautiful backgrounds going on in these panels. I have a small hunch that the whole town (and cafe) is teaming with easter eggs (in fact, what's the name of the cafe?), but can't really make it out.

There's something that can be said by Linux-sama's early life in relative peace compared to the Unixes' life immersed in a crazy war. While this hardens the UNIX-tans into far better fighters in the short-term, Linux-sama is allowed to evolve into a far more complete, independent and incorruptible individual, paving the way to be a smarter, more efficient and more motivated fighter in the long-term.

-Uhhmm...I kinda think they're more like...free range eggs...but if you can sink some meaning into them, go ahead. BTW, that was supposed to be "Kate's Cafe" for...no apperent reason ^^
-A running theme in this comic will be Linux-sama's avoidance of any fighting; while she'll skirt warzones here and there, she'll actually have no first-hand experiences (but she will feel very effected by the fighting in chapter 4).

QuotePAGE 4:

Ah, my poor young Plan9-chan! ;~;
She's so poor and cute and,... oh LAWD, the bunny ears!! I must... touch.... them.... *gets hypnotized by ears* @v@

Hell, get me a mansion and call me a playboy, but she's helluva cute! ^.^

You're right, though,... the younger Plan9-chan looks so much like UNIX-sama -- even her bunny ears seem like longer extensions of owl ears. ^^

But her cafe version clearly shows whiter hair, so I'm guessing by then stress has taken her toll. '__'

That other UNIX-tan in the last panel would be Solaris-san, no? That would be Cameo #1. ^^

-Why do I have the urge to draw Plan 9-chan in a bunnygirl suit? @__@
-Yep, Unix/Plan 9-san looking alike is purly intentional. Though I suppose the latter wouldn't be one fraction as intimidating as Unix-sama. :P
-This is Solaris-tan, when she still work glasses and braids and was called SunOS-tan.

QuotePAGE 5:

Wow,... Plan9-chan couldn't look more downtrodden if she tried. ^^;

Any chance on divulging the identity of the waitress? Nice to know she's in touch with the rumor mill and knows all about Linux-sama's handiwork. ^.^

Ah, NOW we see Plan9-chan in some action. ^.^
The two panels where we see shocked profile shots of her show a very subtle genius in camera angle/focus and (especially in the last panel) literary lighting. The gradient literally feels like a resonance or echo that helps accentuate the shock of the revelation. ^.^

-Waitress lady is some some....waitress lady. Maybe she's a program or file-tan or something, though...I dunno actually XD
-I try to put a lot of thought into my camera angles. It can add a lot to a comic IMHO.

QuotePAGE 6:

I know Linux-sama is thinking that, but not sure if Plan9-san is also thinking the preceding text. Perhaps she is, not wanting to reveal that UNIX-sama is not particularly fond of the young Linux-chan's existence.

It's actually kinda fortunate that the two Unixes that Linux-sama became acquainted with first were two of the most idealistic Unices alive back then. ^___^

Panel 4 (the beginning of the momentous flashbak) has a very nice closeup shot of a shocked Plan9-chan -- I like it, and more and more you prove what an invaluable idea it was to downturn her ears since they truly accentuate her sadness in ways previously unimaginable. ^__^

The minor details in UNIX-sama's office are clever, and I think I see another cameo appearance of Solaris-san. That makes #2. ^.^

You're already a veteran drawing the Goddess, so no additional praise is required to divulge the full extent of my swoonage every time I see a depiction of yours of UNIX-sama. ^__^

-No, Plan 9-san is talking. I forgot to put a little direction spike at the bottom of the talk bubble. BTW, my next chapter will have digitally-rendered talk bubbles (as Aurora-sama does), so this will be avoided from now on.
-I have no idea how I got to be a veteran of drawing Unix-sama...well...she's one of my favorite characters so maybe that's how... :P

QuotePAGE 7:

Compared to the previous comic, it's actually kinda scary to see UNIX-sama in a real pinch for once. Evenm though she's still personally invincible, that is meaningless when its her own children -- her own bloodline -- that's under attack (worse, attacking eachother). Her hands do look a bit strange in the first panel, though. Even if they're gloves, they seem a bit too thick.

The slightly phased girl in Panel 3... I thought that was Plan9-chan shocked by UNIX-sama's rather harsh words, but the hair is light-colored. Is that Solaris-sama's 3rd appearance by any chance? ^__^

Panel 4 Plan9=chan is downright heartbreaking. I Imagine she, like other Unices, didn't approve of Xenix-sama's early career path -- but unlike her sisters, she would have at least appreciated Xenix-sama's incorruptible honesty and loyalty, two traits rare among Unices of the day.

The last panel is a kind of fish-eye shot common in professional mangas -- I applaud you for executing it wonderfully. ^v^

-This comic will probably explore the more vulnerable side of Unix-sama, actually of a lot of the characters; because it was a somewhat tough time for most of them in some way.
-I do suck and hands and try to avoid drawing them when possible. >__<
-Yes, panel 3 features Solaris-tan. Cantcha tell by her messy, short hair?
-I don't think Plan 9-san would have liked Xenix-sama's choice of career, but she would have put the fact that they were related over her "betraying" their honor.
-I wanted to try out a fisheye shot. Thanks :D

QuotePAGE 8:

I think this is the greatest congregation of dramatic shots I've seen in this comic! ^^

First we have an extremely hurt Plan9-chan, fighting back and ultimately losing to a fierce trickle of tears, while coming to terms with the fact that everything that she's ever believed in her whole life has been dashed to pieces in less than a few minutes.

Next we have an angry and defiant Plan9-chan, asserting herself perhaps for the first time in her life, while also fighting back the sadness that she's essentially turning her back on her mother.

Then we have Plan9-chan LITERALLY turning her back on her mother, all the while UNIX-sama is scolding her from behind. Followed closely by an AWESOME closeup of the goddess, the fiercness of her bell-labs eyes conveying both fury at the childish rantings of Plan9-chan, as well as a sense of desperation at the thought of losing yet another daughter.

Then finally, the coup de grace,...

Plan9-chan offering a very UNIX-sama-esque profile shot of herself uttering a blunt but strongly-worded counterattack to her mother's chiding. This is perhaps an unintended foreshadowing of her own strength that she would one day belay as the powerful and strongly-willed leader of her own subfaction. ^^

Unbeknownst to her, I think her last biting statement was like an emotional stab in the heart for UNIX-sama, and might have helped slide her into the depression state. After all, at that time, it really did seem like her fate was not all that much better than that of MULTICS-sama several decades earlier.

It also seems interesting to note that UNIX-sama's anger stemmed from Plan9-san's refusal to follow the status quo -- to not become a cannibal in order to survive in a world full of cannibals. But while it takes courage to say "yes" and do things that you're not proud of, it takes even MORE courage to say "no" and do things that no one else but yourself feels proud of. Perhaps in a moment of realization, UNIX-sama rememebered that she was once born to say "no" and change the status quo, and somewhere along the line, despite all her strength and power, got eaten.

That's way I feel that, after her depression (and concurrent acquaintance with Linux-sama), she devoted the rest of her life to reshake the status quo at its core (despite the protestations of her hard-lined daughters).

-I do think Plan 9-san was loosing her faith in her mother slowly, and years of being broken down a bit at a time came to the surface here.
-Yeah, the idea that Unix-sama was headed for the same bad fate as Multics-sama will be explored in a later chapter (#8).
-I really liked hearing your review of this page. You give a lot of interesting thoughts about it...most are right-on, I have to say.

QuotePAGE 9:

Damn cute face on Linux-chan there in panels 1 and 2. ^.^

I see there's a small reference to the BSD-tans, that's very neat. ^^
FreeBSD-chan certainly would've had the foresight to think "%#%@ this #%#&!", and just walked off and left without much notice, taking her older and younger sister with her. The older Unices expecting them to come crawling back like the "impudent" children that they were would've severely underestimated their resourcefulness, virtually en par with Linux-sama's.

The last panel, set amidst beautiful scenery, has the same kind of charm as a panel of Aurora's micro-chibis. The characters have only enough detail to portray who they are, but it's rendered in a very effective and cute manner that's simply a joy to watch. Linux-sama looks adorably humble, although I do have to point out that her hair style seems a bit different than from the earlier pages. ^___^

-I always wondered how the BSD sisters would have left--I assumed that they were never a part of the Unix faction, honestly.
-Yep, instead of chibis, I like doing just very simple figures for farther-away shots.

QuotePAGE 10:

About 10 or 20 lumps of kudos go to the very effective placement of a lens flare in her glasses. I think it does much to reflect "tears" of sorts in her eyes.

Likewise, Linux-sama's innocent face in Panel 3 conveys a supreme sense of sympathy and honesty -- combined with her beautifully concise and common sensical appraisal of love, and its no wonder Plan 9-chan hugs her.

-Lens flare was put there cause I screwed up a bit in drawing the eyes ^///^

QuoteAll in all, the comic is beautifully written and drawn, and downright epic. It illustrates an amazing character depth that brings tremendous justice to the characters we've drawn in only a handful of drawings. It also demonstrates the remarkable extent of all the research you've conducted to make the charming personifications historically-accurate.

The pencil-drawn style is good enough to get the story moving along and is very effective in its own right -- however, if it were to be refined further (and some copyright material verified), I think it can stand as its own publishable work. Even this forum, I feel, is woefully inadequate to offer this ingenius piece of artwork a good home, and foster the kind of growth needed to expand it further.

I have an awful track record keeping promises, but perhaps that's due to lack of purpose. If you ever do feel the need to escalate the comic further, you can be damned sure I'll be happy and proud to volunteer my skills and services. ^___^

I won't go anywhere with my OS-tan artwork (that's a fact, not false modesty), but you still can and I'd love it if you did. ^^

If Svetlana Chmakova could do it.... ¯v¯

-Actually, it's drawn in pen and ink with pencil/digital shading.

And honestly, I think the copywright problems would get in the way too much for any OS-tan centric comic to be published. Course, if I wanted to publish a manga I'd have a ton of original ideas to choose from...but I don't know that I'd want to, not at this point at least.

But I thank you for offering any help...maybe if I make a webpage or something...?

Anyhow

Chapter THREE (you heard me right, I have forgone chapter two, due to a chronic lack of ideas. But it MUST be centered around VMS-sama in some way, because of some references in chapter three) is all sketched up and the dialogue has been jotted down; I need to ink it, though, and add the text. The title is going to be...and this chapter has nothing to do with my homeland...Live Free or Die. It just perfectly fits the theme of the chapter, though :P

But here's my problem. I have certain parts of this story completly planned out...almost down to the timelines, dialogue and different panels. Ironically, the last chapter is probably the one I have the most fleshed-out; others I'm a bit fuzzy about.

What I want to keep throughout the story:

-I want to keep it simple. I don't want to get bogged down in details, I don't want to have too many storylines going at once, I want each chapter to be fairly independent.

-The idea that Linux-sama affected each of the people she met in some way, and they in turn affected her in some way.

-Each chapter I want to have one strong theme to it. For example:

Chapter 1: Standing up for one's convictions
Chapter 2: ...Family?
Chapter 3: Freedom
Chapter 4: The matter of destiny, fate vs. coincedence
Chapter 5: Conflicting ideologies...? I know it will center around Linux-sama's interactions with the GNU people. She'll feel conflicted because she wants people to like her because she's a good person--a better leader--, while the GNU people want people to like her because of her (their, actually) ideology.
Chapter 6: Teamwork
Chapter 7: I have no idea O_O
Chapter 8: What goes around, comes around, and the idea of a curse

As it stands, chapter two ran into a few problems. For one thing, the story isn't very simple. Two, it has too many storylines and too much dialogue. It doesn't have a storng enough theme.

It is supposed to be about VMS-sama and how her discovery of NT-chan took its toll on her. As I have it planned out, it alternated from a flashback of her confronting MS about her daughter and then went to a story about VxWorks-tan inviting Linux-chan aboard VMS-sama's sailboat. At some point...gasp...VMS-sama lets on to Linux-chan that she has a daughter out there, and that she can never really have contact with her.

But I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the timeline alternate from the modern day, focusing on VMS-sama and her "adopted daughter" FreeVMS-chan, and have her looking back on her discovery of NT-chan, her retreat aboard her boat, and then have her meeting Linux-chan. It would toss it up a bit. But this begs the question--how do I tie a storyline about FreeVMS-chan and VMS-sama, set in the current time, back to her interactions with Linux-chan in the early 1990s?

Which leads to this: I'm overthinking it too much. I really winged the first chapter; but then again, I really knew what I was going to write and really had it all planned out.

C-Chan

QuoteI'm running a bit outta time and will have to respond...much, much, much, later...but thanks for the review! FYI, that's not ITS-san, that's some random farmer-lady :P

Could've fooled me with the moped.  ^_____^
Then again, ITS-sama wouldn't have ahd the bags around her mouth.  -v-

...so much for steady, I seem to have hit a bit of a roadblock with my next chapter (involving VMS-sama and her backstory). It was getting a bit dull, IMHO...more on this, later

You're adding too much detail in it, didn't you?  `v'

Quote-like hands, backgrounds I'm quite weak at. But I try!

That's a lie.  Your hands came out beautifully on that VMS-sama pic, remember?  `v'

Quote-Mopeds are fun, what can I say :P

From personal experience?  ^.^

Quote-Uhhmm...I kinda think they're more like...free range eggs...but if you can sink some meaning into them, go ahead. BTW, that was supposed to be "Kate's Cafe" for...no apperent reason ^^

Well Kate IS a popular editor for KDE.  ^___^

In that person over there DOES kinda look like an Awk-tan.... Oh, and do I see Pipe-kun in that street corner?!  @v@

*keeps attributing meaning to everything*

Quote-Why do I have the urge to draw Plan 9-chan in a bunnygirl suit? @__@

Redundancy?  ^^;

Quote-This is Solaris-tan, when she still work glasses and braids and was called SunOS-tan.

*initiates squealage bombardment*  ^0^

Quote-Waitress lady is some some....waitress lady. Maybe she's a program or file-tan or something, though...I dunno actually XD

Xorg-tan!!!  `v'

Quote-I try to put a lot of thought into my camera angles. It can add a lot to a comic IMHO.

Quote-I wanted to try out a fisheye shot. Thanks

Manga IS all about camera angles!  you're doing great!  ^-^

Quote-I don't think Plan 9-san would have liked Xenix-sama's choice of career, but she would have put the fact that they were related over her "betraying" their honor.

Speaking of which,... we're due for a color version of Xenix-sama.  ^__^

*ponders the unponderable*

Quote-I do think Plan 9-san was loosing her faith in her mother slowly, and years of being broken down a bit at a time came to the surface here.
-Yeah, the idea that Unix-sama was headed for the same bad fate as Multics-sama will be explored in a later chapter (#.
-I really liked hearing your review of this page. You give a lot of interesting thoughts about it...most are right-on, I have to say.

Well if you say "most" are right on, that means that some are still crap, huh?  ;__;

HAHA!!  j/k!  j/k!
No but definitely, I appreciate that you appreciate that monster review I wrote.  Hopefully it was as fun reading it as it was for me writing it.  ^__^

-I always wondered how the BSD sisters would have left--I assumed that they were never a part of the Unix faction, honestly.

In principle, no they were never physically part of the UNIX faction - they were just hauled in by association.  FreeB-chan especially was sent tons of disciplinary notices over crimes and infringements she had no idea existed, and really didn't care to learn about.  When ordered to perform her patriotic duty and fight in the Unix wars, she just left.  For a woman of such genius (or perhaps because of it), she keeps all her actions simple and blunt.

QuoteBut I thank you for offering any help...maybe if I make a webpage or something...?

I haven't made a webpage in years, but I think I still have what it takes.  We might need to consult Aurora-hime for a refresher, but I think it can be arranged!  ^o^

Would be a great opportunity to acquaint you with Nvu, Kompozer and/or Bluefish.  ^___^

*keeps typing*

Added after 35 minutes:

Chapter THREE (you heard me right, I have forgone chapter two, due to a chronic lack of ideas. But it MUST be centered around VMS-sama in some way, because of some references in chapter three) is all sketched up and the dialogue has been jotted down; I need to ink it, though, and add the text. The title is going to be...and this chapter has nothing to do with my homeland...Live Free or Die. It just perfectly fits the theme of the chapter, though :P

I wish I could see it (and also absorb the details from the presumed Chapter 2), but is there any way to simply drop Chapter 2, make Chapter 3 into Chapter 2, and simply keep all those references to VMS-sama as brief flashbacks?.

But here's my problem. I have certain parts of this story completly planned out...almost down to the timelines, dialogue and different panels. Ironically, the last chapter is probably the one I have the most fleshed-out; others I'm a bit fuzzy about.

Reminds me of my conundrum with the DSL-kun comic I dreamed of working on.  Beginning and End were perfectly planned out, but the real meat of the story was a jumbled mess of ideas... -v-

-I want to keep it simple. I don't want to get bogged down in details, I don't want to have too many storylines going at once, I want each chapter to be fairly independent.

In that case, you're gonna have to do a lot less than 8 chapters.  ^.^

Quote-The idea that Linux-sama affected each of the people she met in some way, and they in turn affected her in some way.

Good.  ^__^

Quote-Each chapter I want to have one strong theme to it. For example:

Chapter 1: Standing up for one's convictions
Chapter 2: ...Family?
Chapter 3: Freedom
Chapter 4: The matter of destiny, fate vs. coincedence
Chapter 5: Conflicting ideologies...? I know it will center around Linux-sama's interactions with the GNU people. She'll feel conflicted because she wants people to like her because she's a good person--a better leader--, while the GNU people want people to like her because of her (their, actually) ideology.
Chapter 6: Teamwork
Chapter 7: I have no idea O_O
Chapter 8: What goes around, comes around, and the idea of a curse

1:  Worked out!  ^__^
2:  Drop -- besides, shouldn't be any different than teamwork
3:  Seems like it's in progress.  ^.^
4:  I'd be interested to hear who she'll interact with here.  
5:  This is a throwback to her original preconcept story.  Plus, where gets her armor.  ^v^
6:  +Family
7:  Oh, just drop it.  ^v^
8:  UNIX-sama?  @@

If you keep it at six chapters, I think it will be plausible to see this through without issue, and still tell an epic story.  ^^

It is supposed to be about VMS-sama and how her discovery of NT-chan took its toll on her. As I have it planned out, it alternated from a flashback of her confronting MS about her daughter and then went to a story about VxWorks-tan inviting Linux-chan aboard VMS-sama's sailboat. At some point...gasp...VMS-sama lets on to Linux-chan that she has a daughter out there, and that she can never really have contact with her.

Ah, I see,... this does strongly tie with our original brainstorming sessions.  But still, any chance this can be incorporated into chapter 6 instead?

But I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the timeline alternate from the modern day, focusing on VMS-sama and her "adopted daughter" FreeVMS-chan, and have her looking back on her discovery of NT-chan, her retreat aboard her boat, and then have her meeting Linux-chan. It would toss it up a bit. But this begs the question--how do I tie a storyline about FreeVMS-chan and VMS-sama, set in the current time, back to her interactions with Linux-chan in the early 1990s?

I actually thought that your entire comic would not only fluctuate between different timelines, but also between different characters as well.  From that mindset, it wouldn't be strange at all to have the story suddently switch to VMS-sama in the present.

However, if you still want to keep it Linux-centric, consider a modern day scenario where a fort (=bank, police precint or some other critical institution) is retiring NT-san and having Linux-sama take command.  After a not-entirely-friendly handover of power (especially considering this is one of the last useful jobs NT-san has left in the world), NT-san hands over the fort's colors then marches out solemnly with her personnel.

It's then that Linux-sama spots VMS-sama among the crowd of onlookers; and later on, when she's finally settled her personnel in the fort, she sets off to track down the elusive OS-tan.

It's probably near a lakeside that she finds  VMS-sama alongside an overly-protective FreeVMS-chan, who's about ready to start a fight before her "mother" sends (or rather forces) her off on an errand.

After some small talk between the two, Linux-sama asks if FreeVMS-tan is the long-lost daughter she was referring to.  Eventually this would lead down to the aforementioned flashback -- and while NT-san would never be referred to by name, Linux-sama does in the end manage to put two and two together, given that VMS-sama wouldn't be sneaking around such a mundane ceremony for no good reason.

And for a more dramatic impact (and unnecessary sequel material), supposing FreeVMS-chan stuck around to eavesdrop on the two?  '__'

QuoteWhich leads to this: I'm overthinking it too much. I really winged the first chapter; but then again, I really knew what I was going to write and really had it all planned out.

Well yes, I agree you're falling into a C-channian trap.  Don't become like, Bella-hime.  ^_________^;

Bella

QuoteCould've fooled me with the moped. ^_____^
Then again, ITS-sama wouldn't have ahd the bags around her mouth. -v-

Yeeeeah…that’s an old lady, obviously. Well, as old as manga will allow O__o

That's a lie. Your hands came out beautifully on that VMS-sama pic, remember? `v'

Well I was using Inkscape, tracing a picture of my own hands, so I could fidget around with them until they came out right.

I honestly don’t wanna spend the time. Hence, the hands are hidden most of the time.

QuoteWell Kate IS a popular editor for KDE. ^___^

In that person over there DOES kinda look like an Awk-tan.... Oh, and do I see Pipe-kun in that street corner?! @v@

*keeps attributing meaning to everything*

And Kate is the name of a Slackware based distro. Maybe some foreshadowing!? :O

Quote*initiates squealage bombardment* ^0^

Ahaha! You are a megane fan too!

QuoteSpeaking of which,... we're due for a color version of Xenix-sama. ^__^

*ponders the unponderable*

I kid you frickin’ not, just yesterday I was thinking about drawing Xenix-sama. My psychic powers know no bounds!!1! @___@

QuoteWell if you say "most" are right on, that means that some are still crap, huh? ;__;

HAHA!! j/k! j/k!
No but definitely, I appreciate that you appreciate that monster review I wrote. Hopefully it was as fun reading it as it was for me writing it. ^__^

Now now, I think all the best stories leave room for personal interpretation.

QuoteIn principle, no they were never physically part of the UNIX faction - they were just hauled in by association. FreeB-chan especially was sent tons of disciplinary notices over crimes and infringements she had no idea existed, and really didn't care to learn about. When ordered to perform her patriotic duty and fight in the Unix wars, she just left. For a woman of such genius (or perhaps because of it), she keeps all her actions simple and blunt.

Whoa! A deserter! A draft dodger! A typical Berkeleyite! ^_^
I always wondered how the BSD patent infringement problems would play into an OS-tan context. Thanks for answering this.

QuoteI haven't made a webpage in years, but I think I still have what it takes. We might need to consult Aurora-hime for a refresher, but I think it can be arranged! ^o^

Would be a great opportunity to acquaint you with Nvu, Kompozer and/or Bluefish. ^___^

Sounds like fun! :D

QuoteI wish I could see it (and also absorb the details from the presumed Chapter 2), but is there any way to simply drop Chapter 2, make Chapter 3 into Chapter 2, and simply keep all those references to VMS-sama as brief flashbacks?.

I'd rather not...more on this later...

Quote1: Worked out! ^__^
2: Drop -- besides, shouldn't be any different than teamwork
3: Seems like it's in progress. ^.^
4: I'd be interested to hear who she'll interact with here.
5: This is a throwback to her original preconcept story. Plus, where gets her armor. ^v^
6: +Family
7: Oh, just drop it. ^v^
8: UNIX-sama? @@

To reply and add a bit more information…

2: I’m starting to agree (but I love your proposed idea!)

3 (really 2): Yes, all planned out. I really like it…I think. It’ll have to do with the young ITS-san’s interactions with Multics-sama, and how this made her determined to live as free and detached from riches as possible.

4 : Leopard-san. I hope to have it open with a scene of Linux-sama, being lavished with gifts and good treatment by the GNU people, to her chagrin. She’ll wonder at this point if this was all the work of coincidence…or if it really is her destiny.

Going back a few months, in transit to Cambridge (on her way to see the GNU people), Linux-chan will have some bad experience involving the OS (or Unix) Wars. While she isn’t personally involved, let’s say she sees a destructed town while traveling though the countryside, or meets some individuals who were effected by the fighting. She becomes discouraged and doubtful of her own place in this world, and thinks that she’ll never be able to change anything for the better. She decides to not continue on her journey, and instead return “home” to Minix-san.

Leopard-san somehow knows about this, and knows this is a pivotal point in history. She knows (somehow) that if Linux-chan goes home, it’ll be for the worse; so she appears (under the guise of it all being a dream), and shows Linux-chan what the future will hold if she continues on her current path.

Whoops--spoiler alert…? I know this brings up some pretty horrific time travel paradoxes, but I figure since Linux-sama won’t realize it’s actually happening, and think it’s just a dream, I can be a bit whimsical.

5: Kinda. I’d also like to have a flashback involving ITS-san, WAITS-san, Emacs-kun (who’d be just a young boy) and some of the early hackers to paint a picture of the early hacker culture, which would have been brimming with fellowship, harmony, and liberation and how they slowly lost their “utopia”. This could also go to explain why the GNU people were so determined to re-create this culture with their proposed “GNU-sama” who never showed up…instead Linux-sama did, and I’d like to show how this almost accidental event changed her life, and their lives, forever.

6: Not so much. As planned, it’d start with a few high-ranking Unixen very worried over Linux-sama and her recent development of power. They send some of their troopers (or maybe even go themselves) to try and capture her or take her out at some point when they know she’ll be alone. Long story short, Apache-tan will show up at just the right point to help Linux-sama out of what could have been quite a jam.

Or…if I want to integrate chapters 6 and 7...I could say Unix-sama gave the order for Linux-sama to be brought in (very specifically alive). Some Unix-tans set out to capture her; while they’re initially rather non-threatening, Linux-sama isn’t taking chances (we could have a quick flashback to some earlier scuffle between Linux-sama and some Unixen. But what they aren’t counting on is Apache-tan being with her; and together they hold off the horde of aggressors. But apparently they aren’t good enough, because Linux-sama gets captured and brought to Unix-sama, leading to chapter 8 (or 6).

But this brings up the question of why exactly Apache-tan is with Linux-sama, and what she adds to the chapter is Linux-sama gonna be captured anyway.

7: Agreed. Should be integrated into chapter 6.

8: I’d like this to start with a subdued, but still very emotional, confrontation between Unix-sama and one of her creators in the last throws of the Unix Wars (early/mid 90s). In it, she questions him on why he  never told her about her relationship with Multics-sama. He replies with a comment about them just wanting to keep life simple for her, and goes on to question if knowing the whole truth would have kept her from making the mistakes she did.

In a flashback to the early 70s, we would see some of  Unix-sama’s interactions with GECOS-san, and her burning (yet rather child-like) curiosity about having some kind of family. To her dismay, her first job is the mundane task of working in the patent office at Bell Labs (a historical fact, Unix was first used for this job). Somehow she comes across a file on Multics-sama and begins to think that they do, in fact, share a relation. GECOS-san finds out about Unix-sama’s newfound discovery, and assures her that they share no relation; and furthermore tells her some very horrible things about Multics-sama.

While we don’t really see any of the fight between the two, we certainly see the aftermath. She felt her life got significantly more complicated after gaining her mother’s power--almost as if it was cursed--and how she later felt that all she faced during the Unix Wars were almost like “karma” for all the mistakes she had made.

Flashing back to the mid 1990s, we see the discussion between Unix and Linux-sama (after the latter’s capture). I don’t want to give too much away, but we see how the two of them decided to work with each other to ensure the survival of their kind.

I know there’s some blaring plotholes in these ideas, but I welcome and love all sorts of input.

QuoteI actually thought that your entire comic would not only fluctuate between different timelines, but also between different characters as well. From that mindset, it wouldn't be strange at all to have the story suddently switch to VMS-sama in the present.

No, this is a good point.

QuoteHowever, if you still want to keep it Linux-centric, consider a modern day scenario where a fort (=bank, police precint or some other critical institution) is retiring NT-san and having Linux-sama take command. After a not-entirely-friendly handover of power (especially considering this is one of the last useful jobs NT-san has left in the world), NT-san hands over the fort's colors then marches out solemnly with her personnel.

It's then that Linux-sama spots VMS-sama among the crowd of onlookers; and later on, when she's finally settled her personnel in the fort, she sets off to track down the elusive OS-tan.

It's probably near a lakeside that she finds VMS-sama alongside an overly-protective FreeVMS-chan, who's about ready to start a fight before her "mother" sends (or rather forces) her off on an errand.

After some small talk between the two, Linux-sama asks if FreeVMS-tan is the long-lost daughter she was referring to. Eventually this would lead down to the aforementioned flashback -- and while NT-san would never be referred to by name, Linux-sama does in the end manage to put two and two together, given that VMS-sama wouldn't be sneaking around such a mundane ceremony for no good reason.

Ahhhh! This is a wonderful idea, just wonderful! I am thinking to…linearly, and I don't want my comic to be to linear. Thank you very much!

QuoteAnd for a more dramatic impact (and unnecessary sequel material), supposing FreeVMS-chan stuck around to eavesdrop on the two? '__'

Maybe, maybe not. We want it sappy, not soapy.