Text-based games?

Started by Chazzie, March 03, 2008, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chazzie

I've always been a big fan of text-based games. However, the problem is that they seem to be extremely elusive. Phoenix Wright was most excellent, and fed the craving for a long time. Though I haven't gotten the fourth game yet. Radical Dreamers for SNES was... okay, but not great.

However, as much as I like those, I'm also looking for the kinds of text-based games where you type your actions. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game on BBC's webpage is a good example- but that game also happens to be far too complex, so not many people can get far.

My frustration with a lack of text based games causes me to try and design my own, but I'm not good at storytelling, at least when it comes to plot.

So now I wonder if anyone in these forums knows a few text-based games I could try? I'd be extremely grateful. c:

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

you can try Bella's posts about RSTS/E, there's a text based game in there wich sounds like fun :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Bella

^ That's if you want to play a text game with an OS that's thirty-some years old, thought :P

msnid

there's many but not in english :/

Chazzie

Oh, I don't mind how old they are. Bella's post was actually what gave me the idea to ask. =P

Smokey

Too bad bloody WinXPx64 won't open the rsts/e emulator....

(in the immortal words of James May: oh cock...)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Bella

QuoteToo bad bloody WinXPx64 won't open the rsts/e emulator....

That's odd...any computer with a telnet client (HyperTerminal) should be able to access it...

Smokey

XP-64 does not run 16-bit app's or 32-bit ones with a 16-bit installer...

Added after 41 seconds:

BTW, Nice new Avvi...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Bella

I didn't know that XP64 didn't run normal XP apps...

And my avatar is actually taken from a birthday picture C-Chan made of OpenVMS-sama. Now that I have the VMS rank, it seemed a perfect fit :D

Smokey

Well I've solved it by downloading a .zip with emu's for the...let's see...:

Altair 8800 microcomputer (and the Z80 version of it)
Hewlett Packard 2100 Minicomputer
Data General Eclipse minicomputer
IBM 1130 Computing System
PDP-1, -4, -7, -8, -9, -10, -11 and -15
VAX and a VAX780
among others...

so now im on the hunt for the respective software for those machines :D
Thanks Fedora-sama

Kami-Tux

Want about nethack and the 700 point adventure?

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Smokey

what system do they run on?
Thanks Fedora-sama

Kami-Tux

They both run on anything which can distinguish between ones and zeroes and is somewhat POSIX-compliant. Nethack should run on Windows, no idea about adventure.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Smokey

Well, there's always my trusty DOS-Box... ;010
Or if i could compile them on a roll or disk some of my mini's could run them....
Thanks Fedora-sama