Intel Dual core
2 (9.5%)
Intel Quad core
1 (4.8%)
Intel Single core (64-bit)
2 (9.5%)
Intel Single core (32-bit)
5 (23.8%)
Intel Legacy CPU (the stuff nobody knows or is really old, and please post wich one :D)
2 (9.5%)
AMD Dual core
3 (14.3%)
AMD Quad core
1 (4.8%)
AMD Single core (64-bit)
2 (9.5%)
AMD Single core (32-bit)
2 (9.5%)
AMD Legacy CPU (Same here, Old and post wich one plz)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 11, 2008, 01:55:38 PM

Smokey

I'm opening this poll to see what type of processor you use. and if a debate opens up on what is the best one ;010

P.S. I know this is asking for a heated debate where people get bashed and hated....so PLEASE.....

-Let the battle commence!  ;006

Well the last anwser option didn't make it but if you're U83r-l337 and don't go for this standard stuff, post wich one u have (I've got Texas Instruments and Cyrix for those guys. Show me the non-x86/x64 stuff!!!)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Bella

Hmmm...I've never been to choosy about my hardware, I've always cared more about the OS controlling it. This probably comes from the fact none of my computers are really anything to write home about, at least not in the hardware sense ;)

My laptops have AMD 64 x86 processors; my old Compaq, I believe, has some kind of...oh, I think it's an old 32-bit AMD...

Smokey

Well old isn't always bad... I've seen a 386SX and Linux do Domain-controlling :D (ooh and i love the last thing you see when you shut a Linux-PC down: "Sending kill signal...." thats just sooooo cool :D)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Bella

Oh, I love old computers! Trust me, I come from the persuasion that computer design peaked sometime between 1960 and 1980 (Multics, Unix, or VMS, take your pick), and that we're swiftly going downhill. Toward a cliff. Maybe I exaggerate a bit.

And I actually fixed up that Compaq...with a lotta tech-support from our great forum members....and got it running Puppy and Zenwalk Linux from a liveCD, so I personally saw that a ten-year-old computer can still be useful and up-to-date :D

Aurora Borealis

Actually, I'm none of the above- I'm using PowerPC! (What almost all the computers at my house use, except for my nearly dead 68k mac and my mom's PC which uses Intel Pentium 4)

I do not know what processor is best and didn't know such debates could get so heated. I'm more interested in the OSes (and hardware if it is vintage!)

NejinOniwa

NeoN-ALPHA, the comp I'm currently on which is slowly breaking apart, is running a 2,3ghz Intel P4, 32-bit.

NeoN-DELTA, my new comp which I'll get going in a week or two now (YAY!!!) runs a 2,13 Dual-Core 64-bit Intel.

'nuff said.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

Why Intel... No really, I've seen and heard that AMD is faster and better (Intel's first go at 64-bit processors worked good on 64-bit but was slower than a PI on 32-bit, theres Duron slaughtering Celeron in both price and performance and so on...)
Intel is for office-stuff...

Added after 6 minutes:

Quote from: "Bella"Oh, I love old computers! Trust me, I come from the persuasion that computer design peaked sometime between 1960 and 1980 (Multics, Unix, or VMS, take your pick), and that we're swiftly going downhill. Toward a cliff. Maybe I exaggerate a bit.

And I actually fixed up that Compaq...with a lotta tech-support from our great forum members....and got it running Puppy and Zenwalk Linux from a liveCD, so I personally saw that a ten-year-old computer can still be useful and up-to-date :D

Well I personally grew up with the indestructible beast that is the DOS-486DX series, and I love those because all the peripherals were add-on cards wich needed hard- and software-configuration  ;010 ... I can spend hours messing about with that stuff (even got Win95 installed and working -just- on a AM386DX40)
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

QuoteWhy Intel... No really, I've seen and heard that AMD is faster and better (Intel's first go at 64-bit processors worked good on 64-bit but was slower than a PI on 32-bit, theres Duron slaughtering Celeron in both price and performance and so on...)
Intel is for office-stuff...
Well, since ALPHA was originally an office computer, yeah.
And it's true that AMD long were the leading processors for gamers - however, Core2 changed that. Intel's multicore processors are WAY more powerful than AMD's as of now, and AMD is more into targeting low-end systems with their processors.

Smokey

Ouw! Do be careful when stating such things, that actually hurt.....*sees his faith of AMD crumble*

W-w-w-w-w-w-wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!! No AMD bad! Why?!?!?! *runs off to mans best friend : Inu-T for a hug*
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

ARE YOU IN DESPAIR NOW, SMOKEY-KUN?

I will spread this despair everywhere. The true nature of this world...is hopeless! There is no hope, only despair! DESPAIR!!!
ZETSUBOU DA!!!!!!!

C-Chan

Currently running on a 900 MHz Intel Celeron-M ULV 353 w/ 512 kB L2 cache RAM, perpetually underclocked at 630mhz, and equipped with an Integrated Intel GMA 900 graphics processor.  

On any other machine, these specs would be crap, but this my friends...

...RUNS MY BELOVED EEEPC!!!!!!!!!!!!  @V@

And hence, it's well-put-together dose of miniature "winnage", plus a copy of EeePCLinuxOS, makes this cute little machine absolutely SLAUGHTER its competition!!  All those multicore beasts ain't got NUTTIN' on EeePC-chan!  ^v^

*strokes, caresses and cradles EeePC*

Nah, but seriously,... aside from that little Intel/AMD quibble youz guyz seem to be having, I don't really see much blood spilt over hardware.

I do have to protest that the list seems too exclusive.

Aside from poor Aurora-hime, who gets no representation for her PowerPC (which runs the latest MorphOS and AmigaOS builds), I also see no VIA processor on there either!  @___@

And hey,... to blow off the third largest CPU out there (and heir to the Cyrix line) is just asking for trouble from the legions and hordes of VIA fans.  ^____^

*waits for VIA fans to come storming in*

*keeps waiting*  ^^;

Added after 3 minutes:

And of course we also have (or had) a few visitors stop buying using ARM-based machines, as well as the old Motorola's (Commodore and Amiga forever!!  ^V^).

Smokey

Yeah thats the problem of being brainwashed by an IT-education...I thought of (cr)Apple, Cyrix and RISC right after I clicked Submit, and I have been searching how to edit the poll itself, but with no use... Besides I learned that Intel and AMD were at war and that apple and the rest were going for the people who thought outside of the box, so it would be enough to put just those two in...and it would be easier since there are lots of non-standard processors out there.......meh we'll see what'll come out of this, but anywayz, sorry Aurora-sama for being a spanner (especially since you're vintage minded too)...

Oh and Nejin: I'm not in despair, AMD always was the underdog...Let Intel and Microsoft be nice and mainstream....Aternatives and underdogs are nicer :D
Thanks Fedora-sama

C-Chan

You're so alternative and vintage-friendly.....I like ya already!   `v'
Plus as you may have noticed, there's already quite a handful of users who dabble (A LOT sometimes) in the alternatives as well.  In fact, our three Admins are Fedora Core, AmigaOS, and Mac users respectively.  ^^

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sing my EeePC to sleep....  ^.^

Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go,
Baddum baddum....
Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go.
Badadadadum...
I hate to leave you, but I really must say
Ohhh...
Goodnight, sweetheart,... goodnight....
[/list]

*kisses EeePC*

I lovez my EeePC... LOVEZ my EeePC.....  ^___^
I'm thinking of getting a 2G model too, now that I didn't end up buying the Cloudbook.

Smokey

Quote from: "C-Chan"You're so alternative and vintage-friendly.....I like ya already!   `v'

Well they're friendly to us...So why should I be rude?...

*looks at his trusty AMD and not-so-trusty WinXP64 -who hadn't had a wink of sleep the past year- and smiles gratefully*
Thanks Fedora-sama

Bella

QuoteAnd of course we also have (or had) a few visitors stop buying using ARM-based machines, as well as the old Motorola's (Commodore and Amiga forever!! ^V^).

Ooooh, Motorola made processors for the Commodores and Amiga? I've always known them as a cell phone company (the only good one, say I) ^_^

QuoteNow if you'll excuse me, I have to sing my EeePC to sleep.... ^.^

Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go,
     Baddum baddum....
     Goodnight, sweetheart, well, it's time to go.
     Badadadadum...
     I hate to leave you, but I really must say
     Ohhh...
     Goodnight, sweetheart,... goodnight....

Oooookey.....

*slowly backs out of thread*

QuoteWell they're friendly to us...So why should I be rude?...

*looks at his trusty AMD and not-so-trusty WinXP64 -who hadn't had a wink of sleep the past year- and smiles gratefully*

Yay! Another Vintage fan :D

As for not having a wink of sleep...do you mean it has one heck of an uptime?