Quantum Computing

Started by NejinOniwa, February 25, 2008, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

QuoteLike Tandy 1000's! ^___^ The grandpappy of Athlon 64 and Core 2 PCs! (Yeah, my Tandy has Intel 8088, 4.7MHz)

Now you mention HVDs. What if you use X-ray laser to actually write and read them? That's a lot of data. Givin' you a idea how big the storage would it be:
a Blu-ray Disc written by 7-nanometer X-ray laser would be able to store up to - yes... - 6 Terabytes.

So, a HVD using 405nm laser would be able to hold 1 TB,
if you switch the laser with 7nm one, you would be able to... possibly... hold 152 Terabytes.

Imagine this. '_______'

That's pretty much the concept of the whole 3-d storage, isn't it?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Dr. Mario

Yes. (but the X-ray Holographic storage is enough to scare those IBM scientists, Seagate included.)
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

It doesn't scare the scientists, it scares the Financial Department, cuz that sort of stuff is a good way to loose tens of thousands of dollars...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

Yes. And, making the X-ray laser diode is also very difficult (and, if done the metal mixture wrong, it's a waste of money.)

Smokey

Well scientists don't loose money on bodged experiments, they just claim that "they now have aquired valuable knowledge otherwise impossible to aquire"...:D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario

Yeaaa. What a waste of mind. (And it would be easier to share than just proclaiming it "mine! mine!" - but oh well, they overuse the patent systems. It was also why GPL / GNU was introduced, for some reason.)

Smokey

O_O...
Wow, nice... ;010
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

NOW YOU'RE THINKING WITH QUANTUMS

Smokey

Well, this topic has sure died off...
Maybe that's because quantum physics/mechanics is a more active science?

*finds a black deskchair, a white cat, a grey suit, shaves his head and waits in the chair, gently stroking the cat, waiting for Nej*
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

*is sitting on throne, in suspiciously evil outfit, crossed legs, gently stroking the Smokey's head*
>_>

Well, not exactly quantums, but the Memristors are something in the same area of usage...

Smokey

This is interesting...
This may lead to non-moving non-volatile memory, and if it will eliminate, sorry succeed the DVD/BR along with the HDD, the only moving parts in a PC will be the fans (and rats, roaches, flies etc.)... :D
Thanks Fedora-sama

Kami-Tux

@Smokey: Don't forget the Tuxen!

I think the biggest issue with Quantum computing would be to learn completely new paradigms in programming. I read something about that topic in a German magazine but my memory is letting me down on what these were.

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Smokey

Oh, gawd, yeah... Normal programming logic would fail miserably in that field.....

*thinks*

I dont know if i would like that...
Thanks Fedora-sama