Main Menu

ASUS-Tan?

Started by Smokey, February 21, 2008, 08:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

Well finally my first digitized ASUS-tan Comments, please

(oh gawd what have i done?)

[attachment deleted by admin]
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Bella

Nice to see you've put down your thoughts on paper, Smokey!

The more western design, rather than manga or anime style, reminds me a bit of Kami-Tux's OS-tans. The wifi antenna necklace is a nice little reference to the hardware. I wonder what she's holding, though...wires or something?

She's a start; but everyone has to start somewhere. Keep practicing and observing and someday you may be able to draw that idea you mentioned there (about her carrying an OS-tan)!

What program did you use, out of my own curiosity...?

Smokey

*dares not to look (seriously)*
*peeks*
A positive reply! Cool! ;010 Thanks, Bella!
*smiles proudly*

As for the program I used... Well................. *mumbles ->* paint

I was getting pretty desperate for a base to start from...But now that I've got her digitized, I can start work on evolving her to photoshop and refine her. It's like carving a statue with a really undersized chizzle and a lot of sand-paper. Slow but a very detailed end-result :D

And for the clothing, I drew her in a pair of jeans and a top so she would actually have some clothes on...I'm trying to work on a more sci-fi, Neon Genesis/Stellvia/GITS kinda suit, wich would allow me to incorporate other features in her appearance (SLI, Socket, Gbit LAN etc.)

And finally, she holds in her right hand a couple of DDR-2 DIMMS, And in her left one rounded IDE cable and two SATA cables (wich of course will be refined when I get her in photoshop...)

By the way, proportions right? (legs/arms/torso/head too small/large?)

Added after 24 minutes:

EDIT: I'll think I will evolve ASUS-tan into my first Inkscape image...

Vector graphics seem less........cumbersome.

And this pic tells me that I need to draw some car-design-ideas, and building-design-ideas... ;010

Plus, as you'll notice that it's running under Ubuntu in that image, it gives me a nice reason to run Linux... :D
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Bella

Quote*dares not to look (seriously)*
*peeks*
A positive reply! Cool! Thanks, Bella!
*smiles proudly*

As for the program I used... Well................. *mumbles ->* paint

Like I said before, everyone starts someplace!

But yeah, paint can be a difficult program to work with...but there are some people who can make real masterpieces with it...

QuoteI was getting pretty desperate for a base to start from...But now that I've got her digitized, I can start work on evolving her to photoshop and refine her. It's like carving a statue with a really undersized chizzle and a lot of sand-paper. Slow but a very detailed end-result

And for the clothing, I drew her in a pair of jeans and a top so she would actually have some clothes on...I'm trying to work on a more sci-fi, Neon Genesis/Stellvia/GITS kinda suit, wich would allow me to incorporate other features in her appearance (SLI, Socket, Gbit LAN etc.)

Ah, yes, clothing. Clothing can sometimes be a very difficult aspect when one first starts out...I suggest, like you've done, to look at different pictures of clothing...the futuristic, sci-fi styles which you've listed would work very well for a hardware-tan, I believe; and body suits are always a good way to start out, as they aren't as difficult to draw as, say, a dress which would require more work on the folds and such.

QuoteAnd finally, she holds in her right hand a couple of DDR-2 DIMMS, And in her left one rounded IDE cable and two SATA cables (wich of course will be refined when I get her in photoshop...)

Oh, I see...

QuoteBy the way, proportions right? (legs/arms/torso/head too small/large?)

The proportions are off...but again, this is one of the things that'll come with practice. DeviantArt is a great resource for tutorials of this kind...a few of my favorites are these. Be warned they are huge images, though:

For anatomy, proportions and posing:

http://studioqube.deviantart.com/art/Figure-Drawing-Tutorial-53644357

Manga-style faces:
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs9/f/2006/014/0/d/TutorialFace2.jpg

Hair:
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs10/f/2006/160/c/b/Hair_Bangs_Tutorial.jpg

And for chibi-style drawings, which can be easier to work with I guess:

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs8/f/2005/329/3/7/how.jpg

QuoteEDIT: I'll think I will evolve ASUS-tan into my first Inkscape image...

Vector graphics seem less........cumbersome.

And this pic tells me that I need to draw some car-design-ideas, and building-design-ideas...

Inkscape FTW!  ;010

Not only is Inkscape, in my opinion, a very intuitive and interesting program to work with, but with vector images it's very easy to fix your drawing as you go along and make changes.. And here, practically half the artists use Inkscape to varying extents...so there's a lot of people who'd be able to point you in the right direction and stuff.

I do think that there's an initial learning curb to vector graphics, but once you have in figured out...it's definitely more efficient than raster graphics, as you've said, it's less cumbersome.

QuotePlus, as you'll notice that it's running under Ubuntu in that image, it gives me a nice reason to run Linux...

Inkscape is available for Linux, Windows and Mac, so you can run it under just about anything ;)

http://www.inkscape.org/

And the new version is coming out very soon...or you can try the pre-release, which I've been using with no problems.

Smokey

Quote from: "Bella"
Like I said before, everyone starts someplace!

But yeah, paint can be a difficult program to work with...but there are some people who can make real masterpieces with it...
I know... I've used it lots of times for pixel-by-pixel retouching...

Ah, yes, clothing. Clothing can sometimes be a very difficult aspect when one first starts out...I suggest, like you've done, to look at different pictures of clothing...the futuristic, sci-fi styles which you've listed would work very well for a hardware-tan, I believe; and body suits are always a good way to start out, as they aren't as difficult to draw as, say, a dress which would require more work on the folds and such.

Well, I do like the futuristic clothing-styles...But, yeah, the main reason is that dresses are still way over my head...:D  

QuoteThe proportions are off...but again, this is one of the things that'll come with practice. DeviantArt is a great resource for tutorials of this kind...a few of my favorites are these...

Well, thanks for being honest with me... :D
And thanks even more for providing the most useful information I could need... ;010

Inkscape, For Great Justice! (why should I pay $649.- for Photoshop if Inkscape is Open Source ;010)   ;019

QuoteInkscape is available for Linux, Windows and Mac, so you can run it under just about anything ;)

I know, I'm running it under windows now and have already started (and screeched to a halt, after seeing the tutorials :D) working on ASUS-tan...But I think it's more appropriate to run it on an Open Source OS too... ;010
Thanks Fedora-sama

VonDaab

Hum hum...

...may I try drawing?

Smokey

Be my guest... This thread started out as an invite for people to have a go at it, so who am I to be ungrateful and refuse... ;010
Thanks Fedora-sama

VonDaab

Here's what I got so far.

Reflecting your opinion about paint, I decided to make it in paint.

Dunno about the microphones(on her head), I just googled about the m.board and got pictures about a set of it that included microphones.
And I tried to make the Wifi thingie like an angel halo or something. meh.

Smokey

Awesome! ;010

I forgot the directional mic... great to see that you've done your homework. ;010 #1

And the WiFi-halo is briliant as well... ;010 #2

Plus you've got the OS (XP, good choice :D) drawn in a way that I never would've thought about, but solves a lot of issues I would've got with the piggyback-riding-idea... ;010 #3

So that's already three thumbs up for your first post...Cool...
Thanks Fedora-sama

VonDaab

Well, glad you like it.
Gonna try finish it tomorrow.

Smokey

Can't wait to see more....
Gives me some good pointers for my own work as well.... (I'll pick it up tomorrow since it is 2:20 AM here :D)
Thanks Fedora-sama

Aurora Borealis

Excellent work, VonDaab! I especially like the WiFi halo and microphone headpieces. ;010

I've also attempted to draw ASUS-tan:

Based off of Smokey's original rendition. Outfit inspired by "Stellvia" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Smokey

*smiles*
Nice one there, makes me want to try even harder to improve at drawing ;010

*stops, thinks, realises that a mod has joined in on the draw-a-ganza*
heh, cool.... :D
Thanks Fedora-sama

NejinOniwa

Well, I'd say it's actually more like the Draw-a-ganza-ist became a mod, once upon a time...or something.
Also, I'm busy packing. Crap.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

oh, right...Spring break...

Well... We'll keep the forum warm for 'ya... :D
Thanks Fedora-sama