FOSA Preamble

Started by C-Chan, January 18, 2008, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteI don't see much of her, though she's one of my favorite vistan designs.

Seconded ^_^

And I'm glad to hear you like what you're seeing!

QuoteAlso, I think it's time to start sketching up character models, that we can add in later.

...I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Though, I'd draw the character separate from the rest of the kitchen. But let us not get ahead of ourselves :P

QuoteEither have her vectorize her font, or just change the font of it to something that looks at least halfway decent. ^.^

....Oh, okay, I'll have to do that when I get the chance. I was worrying that this might happen...

And wow, Kiso, you've really planned out all those Vistan designs well!

Added after 1 hours 15 minutes:

Less than an hour's work...

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!  ^V^
*sees G5 cheese greater*

Speaking of which,... in the process of creating my next contribution.  Please stand by.  ^___^

*turns on elevator music*

Added after 1 hours 2 minutes:

Okay ready.  Just barely made it within the hour.  ^.^

Added so many things here and there, had no choice but to keep it with the Source art.....

CHANGE LIST:
=========

- Per Kissu-san's suggestion, added another layer.  Although this one is for comments and sketches, which are intended to be hidden/deleted during rendering.  Can also serve as a de facto message board.
- Turned cabinets adjacent to fridge into a pantry.
- Raise Bella-san's clock a little
- Added placeholders for a microwave and oven.
- Added placeholder for another set of cabinets.
- Added new Easter Egg product (people who access the SVG file will get to see it).  ^.^
- Added FOSA magnets
- Added Inu-T's Property Laws to fridge (based on my Shiba Inu Property Laws list I got for my dog)  ^>^

Added after 5 minutes:

Oh and sorry, I'm a bit tired.  So if you guys don't mind me, I'll respond to all outstanding stuff tomorrow.  ^___^

*snore*  Zzzzzzz  -.-

Kiso

Woah... things are really lookin' up! Anyways, there are things that I noted to be somewhat odd... mainly angle and alignment stuff.

Also, I found something while messing with Inkscape. You can add metadata into the file; there's a lot of stuff that can be filled out. Just click "File" on the menu bar and look for something about metadata. You'll be able to put a lot of stuff to tell more about what is the file about, who made it, and much more stuff. You can even select the license you want to apply into the file (provided as: Propietary, multiple Creative Commons licenses, GNU licenses and the oh-so-open Free Art license.)

*sigh*

I would be getting back in on the action, but today I am tied up with being at college. Stupid wireless networks that hates Vista!! >_<'

That made me realize that the Vistans may be victims of extremely heavy prejudice by many. I mean, if we compare the OS to real people, they'd be "goody-goody two shoes"... girls that dislike any sort of illicit behaviour and would be as rightcheus as to tell the authorities unpon sight, and if they know they can't solve the situation by their own means.
[EXAMPLE: "Premium" is offered a pirated CD/DVD and buys it. Then she calls the FBI and tells who is doing it (plust gives the bought pirated disc as proof) and they storm the guy's place. The guy gets arrested and taken to court... guy is fined for $35.7 million dollars due to having been found with all the music in his HDD (1+ Tb) and sent to prison for not being able to pay. In the end, many people start being more distant from her because she told on a guy instead of just keeping shut.]

But this goody-goody attitude may also be one to praise, as they would try to be helpful to others, and are even willing to seek support herself in order to deal with the task at hand.
[EXAMPLE 1: "Starter" sees a brand new iPod on the ground (yes... you read it right). She looks around and then decides to take it. After getting home, she remembers that she still has it and ponders what to do with it. After hearing some for it's music for about 5 minutes she then goes over to "Ultimate", telling her about the situation (as if she was not the one who did it) and she is told that she should look for the one who lost it and return it. After, she simply goes crazy with printing pictures and puts them for view on the streets. Eventually, one of the Mac-tans calls in and tells the description of her iPod as well as telling what sort of stuff was in it. In the end, "Starter" gets herself the appreciation of the owner, as well as a card to get free iTunes downloads.]
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

C-Chan

QuoteCC, I need an avatar? Hmm... wonder what will I put in there.

Fufufu.... well we didn't create an Avatar Gallery at the Wiki for nothing.  ^___^

http://ostan-collections.net/wiki/Avatar_Gallery

Here, let me pick something out....

(seriously, we need a CHiivistan one in there... O__o)

Or better yet, something more appropriate to the "kissu" thing.  ^___^

http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/albums/userpics/10570/1129473848607.jpg

QuoteUhm... actually... I don't need much help in the design process of "my" (can't say I am truly making originals I guess) Vista family until I hit the imaging process... then you would be able to contribute if you feel like... but still I will keep it somewhat off-project unless people wish them ("my" Vistans) to be in the FOSA project.

No problemo.  That's why I love the 1-hour rule,... leaves plenty of time for other projects, and besides that it doesn't give me the kind of burnout I've felt with many of my own projects.  ^.^

QuoteWorry not, (at least) I will not go over m head with animating... I mean, we're still getting used to doing a project like this to even be working on stuff that may be hard to get by some... even more with a program that still lack the power to make animations (last I checked).

Not for long!  ^v^

*C-chan cheers with joy and redirects Kissu-san to Inkscape roadmap*

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Roadmap#Milestone_13_-_Inkscape_0.47
(read on to version 0.48 )

*squeals with the delight*  THE FUTURE'S LOOKIN' BRIGHTER EVERY DAY!!  ^V^

But yeah, animation in Inkscape would be phenomenal,... especially considering I haven't seen any FOSS animation tools that I could consider workable and user-friendly.  KToon and Synfig each have their problems.

Quote...I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Though, I'd draw the character separate from the rest of the kitchen. But let us not get ahead of ourselves :P

Agreed and agreed.  ^__^
We're not even in February yet.  ^v^

Fortunately, I think the kitchen example does illustrate one benefit of FOSA,....
When you combine an image that makes equal use of both organic (people) and inorganic shapes (furniture), people who may not feel entirely comfortable with one can focus on the other, and still contribute to the illustration's ultimate completion.

So far all the OS-tans drawn in the FOSAKitchen have been tiny easter eggs, but I'm eager to see how our full character renditions will fare.  ^.^

Quote....Oh, okay, I'll have to do that when I get the chance. I was worrying that this might happen...

Just in case anyone needs a refresher with converting Text to editable nodes, click on the text using the Edit Tool, then click on the Convert Selected Object to Path button in the top toolbar.  Or conversely, you can go ahead and press SHIFT+CTRL+C.

QuoteWoah... things are really lookin' up! Anyways, there are things that I noted to be somewhat odd... mainly angle and alignment stuff.

Yep, in my mind, you're the honorary Angle-Fixer-Upper.  ^.^
Actually, since this has much to do with fixing Strokes, this job is really an extention of a Refiner's job.  Hence, you are also a Refiner.  ^____^

QuoteAlso, I found something while messing with Inkscape. You can add metadata into the file; there's a lot of stuff that can be filled out. Just click "File" on the menu bar and look for something about metadata. You'll be able to put a lot of stuff to tell more about what is the file about, who made it, and much more stuff. You can even select the license you want to apply into the file (provided as: Propietary, multiple Creative Commons licenses, GNU licenses and the oh-so-open Free Art license.)

WOW!!!  Even I didn't know that!!  @v@
Heck yeah!  That'll make things very easy!  ^____^

By all means,... whoever will compile the next source file, please get us off that nasty Proprietary thingy and choose a more honorable open license (GPL2 I trust, but then the Licensors among you should no better.... ^__^).

Excellent bit of Researching, Kissu-san!  ^v^

*shows Kissu-san with buckets of praise*

I have to order more 'praise'.  ^____^

*places order for several more liters of praise*

Quote*Vista descriptioin*

Uhhhh..... ^^;

Well think about it this way,... you have six separate Vistans, so no doubt both have their individual personalities that, nevertheless, all play on their job as enforcers.  The charming Chiivistan and the cute Visbou (the ninja) are probably friendlier, more playful, or yeah perhaps overly goody-to-shoe.  So even if they dump you into Limited Functionality Mode due to a technicality, you can't help but ruffle the hairs of such "wascally wabbits" and just squeeze their cute little cheeks, and frolic about with them, and lol, and stuff....  ^___^

Someone like Sailor Fuku, though, might be more heavy-handed.  Perhaps to the point of reminding you what an airport security line would feel like.  *v*

And then there's the obligatory stuck-up office-lady-working-in-Human-Resources-type, who technically IS doing the right thing and is upholding the law, but somehow takes pride and joy in being as obnoxious in her legalistic perfection as possible.  

....  ^^;

Ahhhh yes,... who needs Aero anyway,... hook me up with Visbou-chan anyday.  I'll even suck in the fact that she's very very short.  ^^;

=========================================================

Regarding my next course of action,.... I think it's time to add a few plants to the overhang.  ^___^

Kiso

The Avatar Gallery
Well... I guess I will check it out before I decide. The Chiivistan is indeed in need of being put up there... it'd be something to see.

"The Kiss" (My nickname. XDD)
Woah... I'm not used to Mac-tans but still I feel like I feel in love with that one image. Even more ironic, iPod has the same hair color that I prefer when using avatars with male characters in them. I guess I would check out making myself an Avy before I go final with my avy thoughts. ^_^

Burnout
I guess you are right on that... I don't get tired of doing FOSA stuff. But when I turn to personal stuff... I kind of drift off, get distracted, feel like sleeping... you know, the works. I guess in that one case at the least, the FOSA project is already a success.

Inkscape 0.48
No... freaking... way!!! Yes, I will be one to try this one out. I have never tried animating in SVG because I had no chance to get a hold of Adobe Flash, but now that is not (going to be) a problem. Wonder how would things behave under animation.

OS-Tans In The Set.
You know CC, I wonder that very same thing, but I am sure the OS-Tans would come out nice. There is bound to be people who can get by characters rather well... I mean, in the anime sense. However, there is not such thing as right or wrong when drawing unless the team has a collective agreement of what kind of anatomycal presicion we are trying to achieve in here.

I are "The (Refining) Kiss"?
Yes, you are right on that, I do mess with strokes, nodes, paths, and other things in order to fix angles... so yeah, thank you for the statement.

Metadata Report
No probs... messing with stuff is what I do... if I didn't find about this now I might have done later... or eventually. Anyways, I guess I can go with keeping track of the metadata section of the SVG... anyone else can continue on with their doings. Thanks for the praise anyways... much appreciated! ^_^

The Vistan Sisters' Enforcement Personality
You are quite right on what you say. Each and every one of them will act acordingly to their personality, but all of them still aiming to achieve the same goal, do what is right. But for now, I guess I can call the Vistans character develpment to a halt in this thread... don't want to drive it way off topic. We're not fully don't with the house and we're already trying to figure out characters actions and reactions. I however, might get to bring the complexity of Vista back into discussion when they (all of them I guess) are drawn up and I need your aid... and that if we are going to use them in the pilot.

Final Note
Hey guys, I will later come to make suggestions for when FOSA becomes officially "open for business". I'm going to talk about all the stuff that we should be aiming to do for then, that includes restating things that have been said before. I guess most of them would be procedures and standards to follow in order to make the best both of the FOSA team, the fosa projects, as well as the SVG files. I guess I'll make these be known in my next post.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

Kami-Tux

I only now saw this topic and wanted to give you all a big 'wing up'! Absolutely awesome work!

Only small nitpicking however: it's Irrelevant Ilex  and how come it is/will be released two months delayed? I'd have expected it to be 9.4...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Yo yo yo!  ^___^

Quick post (cause I'm in the middle of something)....

Kissu-san:

- Sonata-sensei-based avatar (especially that one kissing the iPod-chan) would be much loved.  Trust me. ^___^
- "FOSA FTW" is what I would say if I were more slang-adept.  ^^
- The hell with Inkscape 0.46.... I want my 0.48!  NOOOO!!!  ^0^

*stamps foot*

- Excellent insight on everything else.  You're still relatively new, but you're contributions have been dynamite!  ^v^
-I hope Tsubashi-san can return soon, so he can also divulge his take on the future of FOSA.  The technical aspect, anyway.  ^^
In the meantime, you yeah sure I think we should pepper the Guidelines (w/inevitable revisions) here often, since it's very easy to bury with all this text.  ^v^

Great Penguin God

Aha!  I was wondering where you might have gone to!  Was hoping since you love everything that is Free and Open Source, FOSA would be up by your alley.  ^^

Any interest in sticking around some, and help "seed" the project?  ^___'

Added after 5 minutes:

Oh, and I'm sorry.  I just couldn't help it!  ^__________^

Some suggestions on making the Inu-T Property Laws segment more "Windows Parody" like are always welcomed,... but not exactly priority since you can hardly see it anyway.  ^.^

Techno the fox

Whew, I've been working in inkscape for about an hour or two every day, and since you guys gave me those tips on tracing everything's been flying and going swell. Thanks.

That Christmas pic will be done shortly, in a little while I will release a prototype version to give you all a peek at what is soon to come.
(Consider it my much belated christmas present)

I may not be the fastest artist here, but I am rather quick to make up storylines. Once this whole thing has gotten started I can really see myself as a big contributor to the story.

Another thing, I have a few ideas for more parodies to put in.
It may take me a little while though, as I'm still brainstorming on their design. (Abraxas brand eggs anyone?)

Bella

Nice job C-Chan, I was wondering when we'd see a oven and microwave....

Maybe I'll add them, but I've been quite busy today with my own project...

Quote- Added Inu-T's Property Laws to fridge (based on my Shiba Inu Property Laws list I got for my dog) ^>^

Oh man, that list is hilarious! And sounds like my dog's attitude :P

Hmmm...Shiba Inu? I've actually never heard of them before now ^///^

QuoteWhew, I've been working in inkscape for about an hour or two every day, and since you guys gave me those tips on tracing everything's been flying and going swell. Thanks.

That Christmas pic will be done shortly, in a little while I will release a prototype version to give you all a peek at what is soon to come.

I may not be the fastest artist here, but I am rather quick to make up storylines. Once this whole thing has gotten started I can really see myself as a big contributor to the story.

I'm glad to hear your working with Inkscape! I can't wait to see some of your drawings :)

C-Chan

QuoteWhew, I've been working in inkscape for about an hour or two every day, and since you guys gave me those tips on tracing everything's been flying and going swell. Thanks.

Awesome!  If this has spurred your interest in Inkscape and vector graphics in general, than it looks like we're doing our job.  I'm very happy for you, Techno-san -- I think you'll find those knowledge will suit you well in all matter of applications, from school to work.  ^.^

QuoteThat Christmas pic will be done shortly, in a little while I will release a prototype version to give you all a peek at what is soon to come.

Thank you, look forward to seeing your goods.  ^___^

QuoteI may not be the fastest artist here, but I am rather quick to make up storylines. Once this whole thing has gotten started I can really see myself as a big contributor to the story.

Aha! We have another writer in our midst.  ^v^

QuoteIt may take me a little while though, as I'm still brainstorming on their design. (Abraxas brand eggs anyone?)

If you're not entirely sure what to draw, yeah feel free to post some ideas and we'll tell you what we think.  Generally-speaking, the more "LOLs" a parody description brings in, the likelier it is that it'll work.

Abraxas eggs call for major "LOL"-ing.  ^___^

QuoteNice job C-Chan, I was wondering when we'd see a oven and microwave....

Maybe I'll add them, but I've been quite busy today with my own project...

Understandable,... I still have to finish your present.  ^.^
And Aurora's comic,...
And EeePC testing...

And half a dozen other things.

*C-chan whines whines whines*

But yeah, I think a comments layer would help pass on ideas to other potential Seeders (I'm starting to get used to that term.  ^.^

QuoteOh man, that list is hilarious! And sounds like my dog's attitude :P

Hmmm...Shiba Inu? I've actually never heard of them before now ^///^

For shame, cause Shiba Inus are the best dogs in the world!!!  ^v^

That is, if your definition of a dog is actually a "Cat-Dog", cause that's what my beloved Shiba is.  Intelligent and cunning, fast and agile, strong-willed and independent, graceful and elegant, proud and a fine gourmand.  She don't need no stinking humans to survive, but her Highness does concede to allow me to be her Royal Scratcher and provider of provisions.  She considers anything smaller than her edible, and is the terror of mice, squirrels and insects.  Like the old saying, she rarely barks, but has a wolf's bite.  ^____^

The fact that she's Japanese also helps blend well with my Anime collection.  ^v^
(in fact, I name her after my favorite Japanese Singer,... won't say who it is, though... ^.^)

Here's a fantastic website (funny as hell too):

http://www.bravewolf.ca/shibainu.html

QuoteI'm glad to hear your working with Inkscape! I can't wait to see some of your drawings

Speaking of which, due to a change in plans I can't submit a Patch tonight and may have to do it in the morning.

Fortunately, I did spend time doing some R&D on a new Effects called Pattern Along Path, which (after a little more experimentation) I belief will help me a ton with the plants.  ^___^

Stay tuned.  ^.^

*trots off*

Kiso

I had made additions and modifications to the Kitchen. Among these changes:
--| More shape and angle fixes.
--| Re-sizing and re-positioning of the clock.
--| Addition and basic detailing of the microwave and oven.
-----|They are intended to have a GUI instead of buttons... but you can changed that if you want.
--| Lighting fixes.

C-Chan

*staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaring lovey-dovey*  *v*

Hmmm?  Wha?  Oh....  ^__^

Sorry, too busy drooling at your avatar to realize you posted the latest Source Art release.  Thank you for filling in the Microwave and oven -- now that part of the illustration isn't looking bare any more.  Once I'm done with the plants, I'll check out a GUI we can use (or maybe we'll go retro with a DOS or BASH-style terminal.... ^.^)

Now if you'll excuse me....  ^^

*continues staring lovey-dovey*

Sonata-sensei....  *v*

Kiso

Hmm... I guess the drooling was to be expected. Anyways... I think I should make a smaller one... not sure though, didn't want to remove much stuff or make the important stuff to loose quality with the resizing. An more irony comes my way as it represent everything that I was supposed to hate, or at least be disgusted by.

*hasn't been able to go through with reading mushy stuff without feeling like his eyes are melting or wanting to barf... seems to not apply with pictures*

I am also pondering the idea of animating it some. Maybe make the heart move a bit as well as go beating. But then again I can try animating the whole "Kissy-Kiss" (more nickname puns).

Anyways, let's move more back on topic. Uhm... why not make something of our own? I mean, we can go with making a holographic system, maybe a touch screen or something... or even have a voice command system. I think it can also work with a combo of the three.

One thing is for sure, when thinking of a design you have to think "it's so freaking easy that not even ME can use it and crash, freeze, or blow up in the process".

Hmm... wonder if that is even possible at all.

*thinks for a while*

Hey... I just thought something and got to a conclusion. I think that pig you have for an avatar should feature in the scene... or maybe become an actual character of the FOSA project. (In fact, we should create "pun" characters for the project based on members... OS-tans wouldn't live alone you know.) Dunno' though, that pig I have seen somewhere else, or at least it resembles one from another anime/manga series.

This made my brain twitch and thought about a lot of stuff in regards to where how do tans live. I guess my mind wants an OS-tan anime. lol

C-Chan

*BURSTS IN!!!!*

GYAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!  ^V^

IT WORKED!!!!!!
PATTERN ALONG PATH WORKED BEAU-TI-FUL-LY!!!!!!!  I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT!!!!!!!!  WAAAAAAAIIIIII!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

*posts updated source*

*bounces out of thread temporarily to do some celebrating/rioting first*

Added after 3 minutes:

Okay, I have to do two thing when I come back....

1)  Reply to Kissu-san and drool at the avi some more.

2)  Discuss what to do when the source file gets very very large (whoops).  ^___^'

*runs off to pour champagne over self*

Added after 20 minutes:

*comes crawling back*

'kay,....
Where was I?

Ah yes:

Drool:  It can't be helped, no?  ^__^
*staaaaaaaaaares at avi*
And yeah, as you get older and [even] wiser, you'll notice that your tolerance for sweet things expands.  To get you prepared for kids, you know..... `v'

I would recommend a sliiiiiiiightly smaller avi,... just so as not to call the wrong attention to yourself.  ^___^

Animation:  I wouldn't mind a beating moving heart either.  ^^

Holographic Microwaves:  Well, we're only able to see half the microwave, so we'd have to be especially creative of coming up with something that'll fit in that small footprint.  Then again, I've been seriously thinking shrinking the overall image just a taaaaaaad bit more to fit in more outlying details.

ME-tan roof design:  IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!  ^0^
Fufufu... and besides, we have oh-so-many Unix-tans around too.  I think they'd pay them to make appliances as austere and user-shooing as possible.  ^^;
(the Z series mainframe fridge, notwithstanding.... ^.^)

Pun characters:  Actually, there's already two up right now, me (the sausage) and the Captain (the cereal).  Told you you wouldn't get the references yet.  ^v^

I was also thinking of putting myself up on the fridge as one of those clip-on magnets.  But then,... you know.... already get accused of shameless self promotion a lot.  ^_______^

Oh, and I'm based off a very very very very very very very famous pig.  If you don't know who it is, for shaaaaaaaame.  `v'

Brain twitching:  Fans have wanted an OS-tan anime since the dawn of time.  ^___^
Ironically, the only ones who could safely feature in one are the Linux-tans, BSD-tans and any other system that's open sourced.  Otherwise, if the would-be anime were to get at least some widespread notoriety, you could bet that Microsoft and Apple legal teams would be all over the copyright-infringement feeding frenzy.  ^_________^;

Techno the fox

Ahhhh, Glad to see you finally got an avatar Kisu-san.
And a brilliant one at that ^-^

QuoteOh, and I'm based off a very very very very very very very famous pig. If you don't know who it is, for shaaaaaaaame. `v'

Hmmm, the question is...If I pour cold water on you will you turn into a human of some sort?
Heheh

QuoteFans have wanted an OS-tan anime since the dawn of time. ^___^
Ironically, the only ones who could safely feature in one are the Linux-tans, BSD-tans and any other system that's open sourced. Otherwise, if the would-be anime were to get at least some widespread notoriety, you could bet that Microsoft and Apple legal teams would be all over the copyright-infringement feeding frenzy. ^_________^;

*Slowly backs away, hoping C-chan will forget the whole "Smiley Incident"*

QuoteI was also thinking of putting myself up on the fridge as one of those clip-on magnets. But then,... you know.... already get accused of shameless self promotion a lot. ^_______^

Leave some parody spots for me C-chan! XD
But really, Abraxas Brand eggs are A-go I shall start drawing soon!
I'm also sitting, watching, thinking of the perfect place to put one or more of my characters into a parody.
I was also thinking of putting Akuma-chan on the back of a milk carton.
Well, have you seen her recently? I haven't or mabye I'm just not looking in the right places. The only board on Nijiura that I actually know what it is, is the one that has "OS-tan" in the name.
But if she comes out of whatever hole she's fallen into, does that mean I get an extra month of winter?

Speaking from experience, Google's translator doesn't work on Nijiura or 2chan.
Also, Mcafee has taken a disliking to 2chan. Before my subscription ran out , whenever I'd go to Niji or 2chan siteadvisor would turn red and say something about 2chan distributing Spyware and PUPs (Potientally Unwanted Programs). Ah well, I still go there anyway nothing could keep me away from Nijiura.
Do any members from here hang out there? I could've sworn I saw some art drawn by OSC members posted there in the past.