Having some problems...

Started by Icelilly, January 13, 2008, 02:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icelilly

I've been having some trouble transferring from computer to computer. When I was burning my CD yesterday, I was getting these messages saying something like "Error reading file on CD." At first I didn't pay attention to it. Then, I dealt with the consequences. I popped the CD inside the computer and all hell broke loose. The computer slowed down, then when I tried to click on one of the files, it crashed. After "End Tasking" it, all I got was my desktop background. No icons, no taskbar, no nothing. It came back after about 30 seconds.

Today, I re-tried to burn the CD but with a different blank CD. This time. the message said  the following:

"Cannot mount the written CD"
"CDWRITER IDE5232" (H:1, T:1)"

After popping in the CD inside the computer, it slowed down everything (except for WMP which eventually crashed) and I couldn't get access to My Computer! And yes after end tasking everything, I got nothing but my background. But it came back after 30 seconds.

What's going on? I've done this so many times that I lost count and this has never happened before!

BTW, in case if you're confused, my burning program on Secchan was giving off the error messages. Moseko-sama was the one crashing.

C-Chan

Ummm,... well the fact that you're having problems with BOTH computers doesn't bode particularly well.  ^^'

Quick questions:

- Popping in any regular Audio CD doesn't cause any problems, correct?

- Popping in any file you previously burned isn't causing any problems either, is it?

- What burning software are you using?

- What exactly is it that you're trying to burn?  ^^;

- Moseko still doesn't have internet access, correct?

CaptBrenden

<_< >_> Try smearing butter on your mother board, I hear that helps.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"Quick questions:

- Popping in any regular Audio CD doesn't cause any problems, correct?

- Popping in any file you previously burned isn't causing any problems either, is it?

- What burning software are you using?

- What exactly is it that you're trying to burn?  ^^;

- Moseko still doesn't have internet access, correct?
A1: I haven't tried it. ^^;

A2: Nope! I popped in two CDs and it worked perfect!

A3: I use Nero.

A4: Pictures, some Pokemon music, and one video.

A5: Moseko does NOT have access to the internet. Only Secchan does.

Bella

You gotta find the common thread that's messing up the computers. In this case I'd say it's the CDR. My question:

Did you take the files from Secchan and put them on the disk?

If so, since she has internet access, I think your looking at a virus or malware...I dunno though...

But I'd run a virus check on both computers. And maybe do a partial restore on the Moseko machine if she's still acting up (start>help and support>restore>follow the instructions). Those partial restores have gotten me out of my fair share of situations ^///^

AlanRozenKreuz

Wow that can be a virus or something, or your system need to be repaired.

C-Chan

QuoteA1: I haven't tried it. ^^;

Well if A2 is okay, A1 should be to.

QuoteA2: Nope! I popped in two CDs and it worked perfect!

I once had an issue with a coworker plopping in a burnt CD with an AVI file, yet everything slowed to a crawl just by trying to open it (let alone play it, which it did not).  So I know this can happen in isolated cases.

QuoteA3: I use Nero.

A purchased copy, I'm sure.  ^^
Too bad the FOSS scene has been pretty scant in regards to CD burning software for Windows (e.g., no K3b port) -- I only know of Infrarecorder being halfway reliable:

http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

And yet I'm convinced the fault is not in the burning software in this instance.  '__'

QuoteA4: Pictures, some Pokemon music, and one video.

Wow,.. coincidentally, you have a video file there too.  ^^'
Well, if you have CDs to burn (bad pun intended), try just burning everything else but it.  Then just the video file by itself to see if it unleashes hell.   ^^;

QuoteA5: Moseko does NOT have access to the internet. Only Secchan does.

But I agree with Bella and Alan,... given the abnormal behavior, there's at least reason to entertain the possibility that this is virus-induced behavior, either conflicting with Nero, or in the avi file itself.  

Either way, my suspicions lie squarely on it, so if you're willing to do that trial and error approach -- and maybe even try out that Infrarecorder software just for the heck of it (just remember that Secchan will need the 9x/ME version) -- I think we can get to the bottom of this.

Icelilly

I have some good news for you guys! I found an old CD-RW (that I thought I used them all up) and tried it out and Moseko didn't crash! It worked perfect! But to be sure, I did a virus check with McAfee and didn't find anything. But I'm not surprised that the virus option came in since McAfee was getting disabled during the crash. >_< *shakes fist*

So far, nothing bad has happened so I'm not worried. I might do another scan again just to make sure.

NejinOniwa

Wowawawiwa! Good going.
But also Lilly-san, have a video encoder handy, try converting the .avi to a .mpg file - it might work - I've had experiences when Nero tried to convert the .avi file itself before burning; and with Secchan you prolly don't have such a fancy system with it, no? So everything goes bullet-time when it does.
(On the other hand, converting it by itself might just do the same >.> I dunno if I'm of much help here...)

Also, you might try burning other .avi's than the one you planned, to failtest that.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Icelilly

Minna, it's not an avi file. It was an rm file inside a zip file. ^^;

C-Chan

Ewwww!  >.<
RM files are like soooooo 1990's.  ^___^;

Nah, just kidding (although I don't like them anyway).  ^-^

Almost forgot to mention that Avast and AVG are other good [free] virus scanners to use in case your Secchan's Mcafee is not detecting any of the newer stuff.

Alfamille

Quote from: "Icelilly"I have some good news for you guys! I found an old CD-RW (that I thought I used them all up) and tried it out and Moseko didn't crash! It worked perfect! But to be sure, I did a virus check with McAfee and didn't find anything. But I'm not surprised that the virus option came in since McAfee was getting disabled during the crash. >_< *shakes fist*

So far, nothing bad has happened so I'm not worried. I might do another scan again just to make sure.

I used to have that very familiar problem once on my HP desktop. It's not a cause of a certain virus or a malware (but I'd rather be convinced if it's because of a trojan than those two). It's because of the CD-ROM itself.

I guess it's because that CD ROM is lower than 32X. no? Because it always happens on the old and lower models.

Icelilly

Quote from: "C-Chan"Almost forgot to mention that Avast and AVG are other good [free] virus scanners to use in case your Secchan's Mcafee is not detecting any of the newer stuff.
Actually, Moseko has MacAfee. Secchan USED to have MacAfee when my parents bought the computer. Now it has Norton. But it's the 2004 edition... O__O' Yeah, I know, blame it on my parents. But I'm probably going to try to get my hands on AVG. My friend recommended it. ^^

Quote from: "Alfamille"I used to have that very familiar problem once on my HP desktop. It's not a cause of a certain virus or a malware (but I'd rather be convinced if it's because of a trojan than those two). It's because of the CD-ROM itself.

I guess it's because that CD ROM is lower than 32X. no? Because it always happens on the old and lower models.
The CDs I was burning on were 4X speed. But the CD that worked had 12X speed! Gah! I'm so confused! @__@

Icelilly

Okay, so I'm back with an another problem. But this time it's dealing with Movie Maker. I've always had problems with it but nothing like this...

Problem 1: While playing the video (I was checking to see of all the clips matched up with the music), the music would (in some places) disappear but the clip still plays. If you pause the clip and press play again, the sound does come back only to disappear again later on. I even converted to music from MP3 to WMA and it still doesn't work.

Next, is the saving part. It seems to refuse to save and gives me this error:

I checked my space and I'm pretty sure this is enough space to save the movie:

Oh, in case if you're curious on the settings that I normally use, it's this:

I hope I'm not being rude in asking for this much help. ^^;

NejinOniwa

QuoteOkay, so I'm back with an another problem. But this time it's dealing with Movie Maker. I've always had problems with it but nothing like this...

Problem 1: While playing the video (I was checking to see of all the clips matched up with the music), the music would (in some places) disappear but the clip still plays. If you pause the clip and press play again, the sound does come back only to disappear again later on. I even converted to music from MP3 to WMA and it still doesn't work.

Next, is the saving part. It seems to refuse to save and gives me this error:

I checked my space and I'm pretty sure this is enough space to save the movie:

Oh, in case if you're curious on the settings that I normally use, it's this:
Easy, Lilly-chan.
Solution: Search SourceForge.net for movie maker that IS NOT WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER. I'm sorry to say it but by HAEL, that thing is an abomination! Take it away! TAKE IT AWAAY!!!! *flees*
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS