Techno's Art Topic

Started by Techno the fox, December 23, 2007, 09:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno the fox

Yes, it finally happened. I made an art thread. Bwahahah!

Keep in mind that I'll only post something when I'm sure I like how it looks.
Many many computer-made drawings have ended up deleted just because I thought they sucked.. However, I am an artistic person. And have a few hand-drawn things that I will post here.

First..

The long awaited Fchan-tan.

This is a very early Roughdraft and I intend to afix it up alot in the computer. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Yes.........I know I suck at hands........And eyes....
This was my first attempt at drawing her, I'm going to get ahold of it with Inkscape and Paint and see what I can do. (Note to Inkskape users: Is there a way I can import an image or atleast the shape of it?)

This next one wasn't originally on my list.
I was browsing the VideoGame-Tans gallery when the Idea hit me..
Which of these consoles doesn't have a -Tan or -Kun? *Lightbulb*
The Nintendo VirtualBoy.

So I proudly present..
VirtualBoy-Kun  (AKA VB-Kun)

You'll see alot of the VB's designs on his outfit, like the power switch, buttons on his shoes, the two D-pads on his shoulders (Yes, the V-Boy has two D-pads) And of course Oversized goggles and headphones as a reference the the VB's design. (Which I've heard hurts your eyes when you play it alot)

The VB was canceled and replaced by the N64, so I'm not really sure how he'd interact with his sister N64-tan.

Hey, is that a tiny Emuii-san style hair curl starting? See what I mean?

Next...A HOLIDAY PIC..
With only one day left 'til ChristmasI thought to myself "How could I possibly cut this any closer?".

I knew that since I didn't prepare and make it early, that I wouldn't be able to create a masterpiece like what Bella did.
I decided to use an alternative approach..Chibis Randomly scattered about doing Holiday stuff.

Isn't Chibi Fchan just too cute? You do not know how long it took me to get her eyes right...

VB-Kun...I'll give you one guess...Go ahead...

Fchan-tan's got a gift. Hmm Wonder what that could be. Such a tough one [/sarchasm]

Look closely at the tree. Can you find all the little extras I put on it?
-An Azumanga Daioh Reference.
-A 4chan meme reference
-An Me-Tan Hair curl.
-And several others five Techno Points to the first one who can locate them all and tell me.

I originally planned to put more in this.
- Sasser-Tan with a tiny flame in her hair. Let's just say, Long hair and candles on your head don't mix.
- Pearl-Tan doing something cute and Christmas-y

Mabye....Just mabye...I'm not making any promises...But I may put them in the final..But that won't be done by Christmas time..

Being Just a few Hours 'Til Christmas eve, I Wish everyone a Happy Holidays. Whatever it is you celebrate.
From Christmas to Festivus to Fire-on-head-day.

Aurora Borealis

Importing an image in a digital art program is as easy as opening the scanned file in it. (But the shape of the image? I don't know about that though)

Anyways, congratulations on posting up for first works here!

And I will try this Xmas tree challenge! I spot Kamineko from "Azumanga Daioh" (the cat head in the bottom-left part of the tree), the ME-tan hair curl in the bottom right, and a Pokéball. However I can't find the 4chan meme reference. (I used to know nearly all of them. Guess I'm falling way behind!)

Bella

QuoteKeep in mind that I'll only post something when I'm sure I like how it looks.
Many many computer-made drawings have ended up deleted just because I thought they sucked.. However, I am an artistic person. And have a few hand-drawn things that I will post here.

Yes! I've been waiting to see some of your artwork!

I actually started by trying to draw on the computer in paint and such. It's a very difficult task indeed, and to this day I always do sketches first ;) These could come in handy for your vector sketches....

QuoteThis is a very early Roughdraft and I intend to afix it up alot in the computer. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Yes.........I know I suck at hands........And eyes....
This was my first attempt at drawing her, I'm going to get ahold of it with Inkscape and Paint and see what I can do. (Note to Inkskape users: Is there a way I can import an image or atleast the shape of it?)

Hmmm...is she a foxgirl...?

As for your hand and eye problems, you should search DeviantArt for tutorials on drawing hands, anime-style eyes, or whatever else you think your having trouble with. It's what I did when I first started, and if I'm having problems I always check DeviantArt. You should also check out C-Chan's inkscape tutorial for working with vector art, which is very helpful for those wishing to learn about vector drawing :P

As for importing in inkscape, I discovered quite by accident that you can simply open inkscape and drag n' drop the image onto the canvas from it's file. Certainly easier than going file>open>(file list)choose your username>documents>my photos>etc. etc.

QuoteSo I proudly present..
VirtualBoy-Kun (AKA VB-Kun)

Maybe it's cause I'm out-of-the-loop of videogame consoles, but I've never heard of the VB ;)

Good in-working of references, though! As for N64-tan...I see a bit of sibling rivalry :P

QuoteNext...A HOLIDAY PIC..
With only one day left 'til ChristmasI thought to myself "How could I possibly cut this any closer?".

I knew that since I didn't prepare and make it early, that I wouldn't be able to create a masterpiece like what Bella did.
I decided to use an alternative approach..Chibis Randomly scattered about doing Holiday stuff.

Aw, thanks :) Yes, those holidays really do zoom up on one (1 day to Christmas...where'd that come from?!), so this year I kinda have all my holiday pix planned XD

QuoteVB-Kun...I'll give you one guess...Go ahead...

Might this be a reference to A Christmas Story?

Hilarious reference....If I'd have thought of it, SCO Unix-tan would be wearing a bunny suit in the *nix pic XD

QuoteLook closely at the tree. Can you find all the little extras I put on it?
-An Azumanga Daioh Reference.
-A 4chan meme reference
-An Me-Tan Hair curl.
-And several others five Techno Points to the first one who can locate them all and tell me.

I'd have gotten 1 and 3 right, but Aurora beat me to it :P

Quote- Sasser-Tan with a tiny flame in her hair. Let's just say, Long hair and candles on your head don't mix.
- Pearl-Tan doing something cute and Christmas-y

Heehee...it's never to late to add 'em!

QuoteBeing Just a few Hours 'Til Christmas eve, I Wish everyone a Happy Holidays. Whatever it is you celebrate.
From Christmas to Festivus to Fire-on-head-day.

Likewise :D Although I'm confused about Fire-on-Head-day...Do you speak of the Scandinavian holiday, St. Lucy's Day; or the timeless tradition of drunk and careless people on New Year's Eve wielding firecrackers and sparklers to close to their hair?

BTW, just about LOL'd at your signature XD

VonDaab

Good going Techno!
Always good with new Original-tans.

Quote from: "Bella"Maybe it's cause I'm out-of-the-loop of videogame consoles, but I've never heard of the VB ;)

It's only good if you havent heard of Virtual-boy.
It was a Nintendo failure in 1995.
Almost winning the NES PowerGlove in fail points.

Thurosis

Cute XD pictures i like them :D!!!

Btw

Happy Merry Christmas XD

Also take a look at this link please !

http://mangatown.myminicity.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~Everything is learnable!~
It comes only on it, how much strives and time you put into it.
And there arn\'t better or worse for us artist only different!
All Artists have their own individually styles and all drawings have their own good sides!

Techno the fox

Woah. I got alot of replying to do. ^-^

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Anyways, congratulations on posting up for first works here!

And I will try this Xmas tree challenge! I spot Kamineko from "Azumanga Daioh" (the cat head in the bottom-left part of the tree), the ME-tan hair curl in the bottom right, and a Pokéball. However I can't find the 4chan meme reference. (I used to know nearly all of them. Guess I'm falling way behind!)

You're right about the Me-Tan Hair Curl and the pokeball.
And Semi right about Kamineko. He is on there, but that's not him.

Anyone else wanna take that challenge before I post the answers?

Quote from: "Bella"Hmmm...is she a foxgirl...?

BINGO! ^-^

Quote from: "Bella"As for your hand and eye problems, you should search DeviantArt for tutorials on drawing hands, anime-style eyes, or whatever else you think your having trouble with. It's what I did when I first started, and if I'm having problems I always check DeviantArt. You should also check out C-Chan's inkscape tutorial for working with vector art, which is very helpful for those wishing to learn about vector drawing :P

Thanks for the tip, I shall do that.

Yeah, my drawings really need more......Hand-eye coordination. *Rimshot*

Quote from: "Bella"Maybe it's cause I'm out-of-the-loop of videogame consoles, but I've never heard of the VB

Yeah, it had very few games.
Wario Land
Mario Clash (which was only released on the VB and I've never played it so I can't tell you what it's like)
And some game where you fly around in a plane/spaceship and shoot at things.

Quote from: "Bella"Good in-working of references, though! As for N64-tan...I see a bit of sibling rivalry :P

I can too. Hmmm....He's always hiding his ears under those headphones..Could he possibly be a neko too?

Quote from: "Bella"Might this be a reference to A Christmas Story?

Hilarious reference....If I'd have thought of it, SCO Unix-tan would be wearing a bunny suit in the *nix pic XD

Right again!
Bwahaha!
Although while we're on the topic, I really wonder if a BB gun would be the best thing for VB kun....He'd probably end up shooting his eye out or something such..Those goggles, they do nothing as far as safety is concerned.

Quote from: "Bella"Likewise  Although I'm confused about Fire-on-Head-day...Do you speak of the Scandinavian holiday, St. Lucy's Day; or the timeless tradition of drunk and careless people on New Year's Eve wielding firecrackers and sparklers to close to their hair?

XD
Y'know, originally I was going to have Sasser-tan's hair be on fire due to a accident with those candles.....But that second one just fits her character so much more..

Quote from: "Bella"BTW, just about LOL'd at your signature XD

Ahh yes, It's from the Christmas episode of Futurama.
I had a hard time deciding between that..and another..
Has anyone seen the holiday Mac .VS. PC ad?

Another thing...

You'll notice that Fchan-tan is wearing a different outfit in the Holiday Pic.
This is an alternate Christmas-style outfit I made specially for this pic.
It's thicker and with long sleeves. (Hey, can't wear what she normally wears in the winter.) If you look, she's also wearing slippers and fuzzy socks.

Last thing. I made that bigger pic of Fchan-tan when i was upgrading my Windows XP to
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Win. XP Home SP2! (I had you scared didn't I?)

C-Chan

*pops in*

Yo Techno!  Sorry I don't have much time on me, but just wanted to quickly congratulate you on your first leap with drawing.  I promise to return ASAP with proper feedback.  ^__^

Same goes for everyone else,... I know I haven't been here much to comment on important things (or to praise your for your latest and greatest, Bella-san!  ^v^), but hopefully by tomorrow I can demonstrate for y'all one of the reasons I've been "out of it" for a couple of days.  

Till then, want to wish you all a Merry Christmas [y Feliz Navidad]!  ^___^

*pops out*

Bella

QuoteBINGO! ^-^

Foxgirls rock XD

QuoteThanks for the tip, I shall do that.

Yeah, my drawings really need more......Hand-eye coordination. *Rimshot*

Heehee...I still have trouble with hands, so a lot of my concept sketches the character's aren't showing their hands.
Anyhoo, here's a could of tutorials that helped me out quite a bit.
This one's HUGE, be warned. I can't say I draw anything like this style, but there's good pointers.
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs9/f/2006/014/0/d/TutorialFace2.jpg

And one for hands:
http://vashs-angel.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Hands-22638678

And basic figure drawing:
http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs10/f/2006/080/0/9/progress.jpg

QuoteRight again!
Bwahaha!
Although while we're on the topic, I really wonder if a BB gun would be the best thing for VB kun....He'd probably end up shooting his eye out or something such..Those goggles, they do nothing as far as safety is concerned.

Woohoo! I'm right :P

Kid, you'll shoot your eye out!

QuoteY'know, originally I was going to have Sasser-tan's hair be on fire due to a accident with those candles.....But that second one just fits her character so much more..

Heehee...

QuoteHas anyone seen the holiday Mac .VS. PC ad?

Yeah! Apple keeps outdoing themselves ;)

QuoteLast thing. I made that bigger pic of Fchan-tan when i was upgrading my Windows XP to
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Win. XP Home SP2! (I had you scared didn't I?)

Nope :P

C-Chan

Gomengomengomengomengomen Techno-san.  
Since you're now one of us, I have to subject you to my first (of many) Rainchecks.  ^^;

Trust me, I owe everyone left and right a raincheck (just ask Tsubashi-dono,... he uses them to wallpaper his room).  ^^;

I'll have plenty of time tomorrow, though, so don't lose heart.  ^v^

Bella

QuoteSince you're now one of us, I have to subject you to my first (of many) Rainchecks. ^^;

*Hands Techno a Raincheck book and pen*

He still owes me a Win2.0-chan sob story! :P

C-Chan

OMG, there's TONS of stuff to respond to and time is equally scarce too.... But a promise if a promise, and if I can scratch and claw my way through finishing lots of manga pages, I can manage this somehow.   I'll start with you, Techno-san.  ^^'

*starts typing(*

Added after 29 minutes:

QuoteMany many computer-made drawings have ended up deleted just because I thought they sucked.

Would you by any chance be talking about what I think you're talking about?  ^^

QuoteThe long awaited Fchan-tan.

This is a very early Roughdraft and I intend to afix it up alot in the computer. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Okay, I won't lie to you, she does have a feel of an eary rough draft.  However, you've set a highly ambitious goal that will see you learning new things, and using displine and determination to get the look and feel you desire.

In that case, of course we're gonna support you 100%.  ^__^

BTW, do you have what I call a "key picture", by that I mean a preexisting image that inspires you to draw in a particular way?  Just like some people have role models they aspire to become like, I too had a handful of images that motivated me to draw like them.  This one, for example:

QuoteSo I proudly present..
VirtualBoy-Kun (AKA VB-Kun)

You'll see alot of the VB's designs on his outfit, like the power switch, buttons on his shoes, the two D-pads on his shoulders (Yes, the V-Boy has two D-pads) And of course Oversized goggles and headphones as a reference the the VB's design. (Which I've heard hurts your eyes when you play it alot)

Ooh.  ^v^;
Yeah, a bit of a double whammy for me, since it's a -kun character AND represents the VirtualBoy which, like the Sega32x, I have less-than-fond-memories of (yes, the stories about nausea and eyes hurting are NOT over-exaggerated).  ^^;

However, I don't recall a Virtualboy-tan (and certainly not a -kun) ever being done before, so original you definitely are.  ^^

QuoteIsn't Chibi Fchan just too cute? You do not know how long it took me to get her eyes right...

Yeah, she is looking cute.  ^^
It's been my experience that drawing chibified characters is a good way to learn how to draw Anime characters, since body portion variation is more forgiving, and you needn't worry about hands/feet either.  That gives you enough resources into focusing on perfecting the major traits, such as eyes, face, hair, clothing, expressions, poses.., and as you've done in this picture, cute little details here and there.

QuoteVB-Kun...I'll give you one guess...Go ahead...

Christmas Story.  ^__________^

Yep.  ^^
Too bad I haven't gotten that far in the tutorial, but it's not very difficult.  To import a raster-based image (BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc), you can either go to File>Import to select your file properly, or just click and drag it from you Explorer window into your Inkscape canvas.  ^v^

And you can also vectorize the raster image as well by selecting Tools>Trace Bitmap and playing around with the settings so you can get the desired shapes and colors.

QuoteYou should also check out C-Chan's inkscape tutorial for working with vector art, which is very helpful for those wishing to learn about vector drawing :P

Aw shucks, Bella-sama....  ^___^
Admittedly,... the tutorial could be more,... you know.... "finished". ^^;

QuoteHilarious reference....If I'd have thought of it, SCO Unix-tan would be wearing a bunny suit in the *nix pic XD

GYAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!  ME WANT!!!!!!!!!  It's not too late!!!!  *v*

Quote*Hands Techno a Raincheck book and pen*

He still owes me a Win2.0-chan sob story! :P

Oh poppycosh,... you just want to see cute little girls cry and stuff.  ^______^;
For that, I'm actually thinking of two solutions:

1) Bribe you into dropping it
2) Start something I want to try out called a "FOSSkoma".

But either/or is a story best left for another thread. ^___^

Tsubashi

Wow! Nice drawings Techno-san, sorry I didn't notice it sooner.
I'm actually writing this from my Christmas present (an iPod touch) so it's a bit hard to make an in depth comment on your drawings, but I want to say good job. I know it takes a lot of courage to show one's artwork with another (well, at least, it is for me ^.^) so I wanted to thank you for your bravery and complement you on your artistic skills. You can rest assured, they're at least ten times better than mine would be! ^-^'

Added after 5 minutes:

Aww, and Senpai has edited his post! Gomen Nasai, Senpai. I have to go back to work now, I'm nor just blatantly ignoring your post ^^'
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteBTW, do you have what I call a "key picture", by that I mean a preexisting image that inspires you to draw in a particular way? Just like some people have role models they aspire to become like, I too had a handful of images that motivated me to draw like them. This one, for example:

Aha! I always thought that pic reminded me of your work!

I for one just sorta combined different styles I saw and liked...

QuoteYeah, she is looking cute. ^^
It's been my experience that drawing chibified characters is a good way to learn how to draw Anime characters, since body portion variation is more forgiving, and you needn't worry about hands/feet either. That gives you enough resources into focusing on perfecting the major traits, such as eyes, face, hair, clothing, expressions, poses.., and as you've done in this picture, cute little details here and there.

I kinda agree, even though I've never done any chibis ;)

But you've just gotta keep practicing and not be afraid to try new styles and stuff.

QuoteAnd you can also vectorize the raster image as well by selecting Tools>Trace Bitmap and playing around with the settings so you can get the desired shapes and colors.

I always thought that feature was a bit overrated : | I mean, doesn't it turn any lines into paths, and you can't really do a ton with those...

QuoteGYAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! ME WANT!!!!!!!!! It's not too late!!!! *v*

XD, yes, we all do!

QuoteOh poppycosh,... you just want to see cute little girls cry and stuff. ^______^;
For that, I'm actually thinking of two solutions:

1) Bribe you into dropping it
2) Start something I want to try out called a "FOSSkoma".

But either/or is a story best left for another thread. ^___^

Oh, I kid. Manically delicious as 2.0-chan is, I've found great sap reserves in the OS-tan's of yore!

QuoteI'm actually writing this from my Christmas present (an iPod touch) so it's a bit hard to make an in depth comment on your drawings, but I want to say good job. I know it takes a lot of courage to show one's artwork with another (well, at least, it is for me ^.^) so I wanted to thank you for your bravery and complement you on your artistic skills. You can rest assured, they're at least ten times better than mine would be! ^-^'

Oooh, an iPod touch...neat!

C'mon, Tsubashi, I thought your inkscape works were nice!

Tsubashi

QuoteC'mon, Tsubashi, I thought your inkscape works were nice!

Thank you, Bella-sama, but technically they're not really mine. There more of a C-Chan-senpai-draws-Tsubashi's-ideas kind of thing, so really the credit ought to go to him. Besides, my last comment was actually making reference to my hand drawings. There is a reason they're not online. ^^'

QuoteOooh, an iPod touch...neat!

I'll say! Especially because there is Wifi Hotspots all over campus, I've already mapped them all out. ^.^
If all goes well, I'll jailbreak it tomorrow and stick some home-brewed apps on it ^v^

QuoteI always thought that feature was a bit overrated : | I mean, doesn't it turn any lines into paths, and you can't really do a ton with those...

I think it's pretty useful. Works great for logos especially. Lot easier than tracing them ^.^
-Tsu

C-Chan

QuoteI always thought that feature was a bit overrated : | I mean, doesn't it turn any lines into paths, and you can't really do a ton with those...

True,... ^^
But when you're on a time budget and need to get something vectorized quick, it's a godsend.  ^^
Besides, I figure it'd be a godsend for anyone with a masterful sketching hand, that only really needs to apply color and shading.  

QuoteThank you, Bella-sama, but technically they're not really mine. There more of a C-Chan-senpai-draws-Tsubashi's-ideas kind of thing, so really the credit ought to go to him. Besides, my last comment was actually making reference to my hand drawings. There is a reason they're not online. ^^'

*cough cough*  -v-
Tsuashi-san is still quite bunker-minded, so let me estimate the amount of involvement the C-chan has had in his Top 3 Newton-chan pics:

Newton Intro:  60%
Nifty Light Newton: 30%
Candlelight Vigil Newton:  0%

I rest my case.  -.-

Admittedly, I've only seen one unreleased handsketch for a character who's identity I shan't reveal.  ^^