Computers you own.

Started by Techno the fox, September 30, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyo-Chan

Quote from: "C-Chan"Yeah, I think that'd work great.  ^__^

Go forth and conquer, Dancing Banana-san.  -v-

I'm geting a scanner on tuesday, now I can finish feathru-tan and put it up on the wiki!
Piinatsubataa pururun nanji! wai oh wai oh Piinatsubataa pururun nanji!

Kami-Tux

Okay: my PCs:

Jenjitux:
Brand: from a local company from Leverkusen
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM: 512 MB
Harddisks: 300 GB + 60 GB
Operating systems: Gentoo Linux 2006.1 + FreeDOS (it hid in a Fat16 partition on the smaller harddisk)

Smalltux/Slowtux:
Brand: x86
Processor: AMD K6-II 450 MHz
RAM: 128 MB
Harddisk: 10 GB
Operating Systems: SuSE Linux + Debian/GNU/HURD + whatever live CD I use on it (it is for my OS-testing purposes)

Francesco:
Brand: Schneider
Processor: let's not get into that. I know it is from Intel and has 4.77MHz
RAM: enough for everybody (640kB)
Harddisk: 30MB
Operating System: MS DOS 5.2

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Hoh... I'm surprised you haven't tried FreeDOS on Scheider.  ^__^

(Or maybe you did and it didn't go so well?  '__')

Kami-Tux

I have no computer which can read or write Francesco's floppies... (these big Double Density floppies)

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Bella

Just my trusty eMachines laptop, Shadow K8 ;) Running XP home, and virtualizing Ubuntu and Puppy Linux.

She runs well, I value her stability and speed and I will quite literally keep using this machine until it wears out. My family has an HP laptop, too...

Zalian

I personally own two computers.

The first is the one I use primarily, and is a custom powerhouse running XP Pro. It's in a an old white steel-frame case with the AMD logo which could probably take down a wall if thrown. Processor is a Pentium 4. It's got great memory, a great graphics card, and great stability, but it heats up my room a lot, especially when I'm playing graphic-intensive games. I still haven't come up with a name for it, so I guess I'll just call it "My XP-tan" for now.

The second is pretty much a mystery system that I custom built about 4 or 5 years back. I call it a mystery system because I can't remember what specs it has, but I do know that it's running Windows 98 and a couple of Linuces that I can't recall the names of. I haven't started it up in several months, so I suppose I should boot it up soon...
Red, red, everywhere...

C-Chan

Yeah, yeah, boot it up man!  ^___^

We're just receiving the first trickle of next-gen Linuces (Ubuntu 7.10, Mandriva 2008, OpenSUSE 2.30, Puppy 3.0, etc.), and believe me they'll offer quite a bit more than perhaps they did when you first installed them.  ^.^

(try to get a distro lthat has a user-friendly hardware detector [like PCLinuxOS], so you can see exactly what's installed in your machine)  ^.^

thesonicsword

I only have an insgnia ^^;
Thesonicsword

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Odin Yggdrasil

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 1525, originally it had Vista but I reloaded it with XP a few days ago. Vis-tan certainly is nice and very eye-catching, but her personality has a few issues and she doesn't play nice with others. XP-tan though is much better behaved once she gets used to a particular build.

I also have a Nexlink KN1 Laptop, it is a somewhat oddball unit that was supposidly custom-made for the college I was in at the time. Though I see that Nexlink has gone on to make a lot more, and might even be appearing at Bestbuy soon.

For desktops, every single one of mine is custom-built by yours truely. My big one is a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz, recently upgraded to 2GB DDR333 RAM and a 250GB hard drive. It is currently housed in the last remains of an old Hewlett Packard for lack of a better case that had sufficient room for it.

Beyond that, the rest are Frankenstein systems built out of salvaged and recycled parts that I haggle for from time to time. I think there were around 4 of those.

Oh and my classics.

I have an original Apple IIE that is still in working order, complete with it's ROM BASIC still intact. Wonder what -tan that would have... all it has for an OS is it's ROM Assembley and ROM BASIC.

Also my first really workable PC, a Hewlett Packard Vectra VE model 5 with a 233 MHz Pentium MMX CPU, originally it had 32MB ram, Windows 95, and a 2GB hard drive. Though I soon upgraded it to 98-tan and it had a brief flirtation with ME-tan and XP-tan, it spent most of it's useful life with 2k.

By the time I retired it, I had driven it all the way up to 384MB ram, and a 40GB hard drive, running Windows 2000 Server. Which they tell me was not possible for that machine, but it ran it and did well.

Aurora Borealis

^I envy that you have a working Apple IIe, and that you can build your own computers! But really, that's awesome!

Odin Yggdrasil

There is also a Tandy TRS80 color that I have as well, though I've yet to try powering it up.

I still like the old 80386 SX units that I had my first encouters with DOS on, and oddly enough I found that several of the machine readout systems where I work actually still use 80386 DX chips with a variety of DOS as their operating system for controlling the milling machines.

C-Chan

I agree with the vintage coolness factor -- modern systems are so plentiful nowadays, I only really find vintage hardware interesting.  Â¬v¬

BTW, there is a ][-tan and a TRSDOS-tan (the old OS for the first Tandy computers), in addition to a CoCo-tan (the Tandy Color Computer).

Again, call it Gallery deprivation.  Â¬Â¬

Aurora Borealis

I am also much more strongly interested in vintage computers than modern ones. Sadly, I don't have any vintage hardware :(

C-Chan

Fufufu... well some might consider an iBook running Panther vintage by now... fufufu..... ^>^

BTW, they didn't make you get rid of that, I hope.  ^^;