Computers you own.

Started by Techno the fox, September 30, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno the fox

Okay, Post your computers, Kinds, and Os-es.

I currently have....*Inhales*

My best is a Dell Latitude C610 Laptop that runs Windows XP home and has a relitavely weak graphics card (an old radeon mobility that crashes with 64-bit games/roms)

Then Is The Desktop I'm using now..A Hewlett Packard Pavilion 7960
Again XP Home.This one's memory is low, causing it to crash on me often during mugen..-_-

Next is one made my a company called "enpower" With a matching keyboard.
I couldn't find a number on it..But It has silver sides and a blue-clear front with white spots.
It too Runs XP home.

The Next one is A dell Look-alike By some company called "CSI" (Crime scene investigations? o.O)
It's Black and was built for Win XP Home, Hasn't had to be reformated once..However..it is SLOW AS DAY!
Mostly because it's factory-new with absolutely no memory.

Next is a Gateway Comp, It's white with these grey-plastic embedded into the casing like a cow patern.(Like gateway's logo)
It was built for M.E. but it reluctantly runs XP, Although slowly and with some bugs..I was thinking about downgrading..Just to have an authentic working ME.

Now for the older ones..

A Toshiba "Satellite" Laptop it is silver and runs DOS, When you first turn it on it initiates the "Windows 3.1 setup, Unfortunately I don't have the disk it needs to complete (If anyone has the program could you send?)

A Tandy 1400 LT Laptop Running DOS With a green and black display.
(This thing is HUGE for a laptop..)

A very early Ibm Thinkpad, It is damaged, I got it at a yardsale and it rarely turns on...When It does I get some odd error message about missing system programs, and I have this odd Hummingbird cursor.

An IBM Aptiva Desktop, Black in color and fully runs DOS It has this odd thing that plugs in and sits on top with a CD Drive and Floppy.

A early HP Pavilion White in color it is designed for and runs Win 95

A shell of a slightly later HP Pavilion designed for win 98 Just missing the hard drive.

Then there is this weird one called a "HeadStart Explorer" which needs discs of the same name to start.(Thankfully they Did come with it)
I found it at a Thrift shop alongside the Tandy laptop and a whole Box of floppies. The main part and the Keyboard are one piece that folds up.
It runs a program called "Headstart Explorer" as one could expect,
That looks like a stripped version of Win 3.1

And last but not least, A computer I call "Old Faithful"
I had this one since I was little, It runs 95 though crippled It got a virus somewhere along the line, It's white (I forgot what brand it is, and currently it's in my clauset under the Aptiva and the white HP pav. all unpluged so I don't feel like digging it out right now..)

Whew...Whew..
Do you think I have too many?

C-Chan

Nope,.... ^.^
Compared to Tsubashi-dono's, Raffaele-san's, and the Great AmigaBob's collection, that's drop-in-the-bucket level.  But it's a good start, kiddo,... you keep building that collection now, ya hear?  ^__^

BTW, much win for you for keeping Tandy machines alive.  ^^

Which DOS are you using on your Tandy and Aptiva?  (I'm hoping TRS-DOS on the former, but given all the other machines, I'll have to put my money on just plain ol' MS-DOS.   -v-)

BTW, you got plans for ol' Faithful?  ^__^
Might be a good candidate for a little,.... shall we say,.... Open Sauce?  ^.^

Techno the fox

1. Yeah, Just normal Ms-Dos

2.Yes, I was planning recently on bringing Ol' Faithful back now that I'm experienced in computers as I am.

3. Oh my..I just recently dug into my clauset to discover another Comp Hiding under all of them.

This one I don't know much about..It's OLD i'll say that..
It's mostly metal with a plastic front, It has the older kind of floppy drive (those larger ones) And a Keyslot to lock the controls.
No "Designed for..." anything I've never managed to figure this one out..
No Ps2 ports just an old, large keyboard slot. Plugging a monitor into it will result in a blue screen with moving lines..
Inside it is HUGE I've never seen a hard drive that size before.
It has two major ports..The first is the average compuer power cord slot.
Three Prongs sticking out..
But next to it is the opposite A port with three Slots in a similar fassion.
I hear some older monitors use that format.

Pics to come..mabye..

EDIT: UPDATE!

I dug them out of my clauset...Readying them for their photoshoot and refurbishing, when I Found the stickers still on two of them.
The Headstart explorer and Tandy 1400 LT Were $1.00 each! (what a deal)

The larger PC I was talking about, I was unable to find a number.
But I did find a brand...It's called
"PC Brand" (oh so creative weren't they?)

Also, Old Faithful is a Name Brand,
Dell Optiplex GPI

And If this counts as a Computer
I have an Atari 800XL with all the plugins and a "Basic Programming" Cart.

Tsubashi

Not to be rude, but this there is a What computer/OS are you using? Thread which serves the same purpose (though it did sorta tangent once everyone was done listing their comps ^^')

You've got a decent collection, but like Senpai said, lots of people here have many computers. Methinks you need more linux though ^__^
-Tsu

C-Chan

Ah yes,... didn't want to bring that up quite yet, but there is another thread detailing the systems that everyone uses here.  My section is a bit outdated, though, as I gave away a lot of my older systems (to help some friends and also to spread Linux of course... ^.^), and am still eagerly awaiting the addition of the Asus EEE PC to my collection.  ^.^

This, of course, not even touching the other thread that Raffaele created about the guy who has 145 different operating systems NO A SINGLE COMPUTER!!!

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-637.html

In any event, TechnoKitsune-san.  ^__^
I don't believe I ever formerly said hello, so,... "Hello".  ^^

Quote1. Yeah, Just normal Ms-Dos

Meh,... would've wanted FreeDOS or DR-DOS, but guess that'll do.  At least MSDOS-tan is cute.  ^.^

Quote2.Yes, I was planning recently on bringing Ol' Faithful back now that I'm experienced in computers as I am.
QuoteAlso, Old Faithful is a Name Brand, Dell Optiplex GPI

Funny how I can't find that specific model number on the Dell Support website.  But if we're talking the old Optiplex G-series, you're looking at triple-digit mhz Pentium II's with anywhere between 32 and 128 megs of RAM, standard-issue CD-ROM, sub-GB to 4GB hard disk space, and so forth.  Still accessible to low-profile Linuces, although some extra RAM and additional upgrades couldn't hurt.  ^__^

Quote3. Oh my..I just recently dug into my clauset to discover another Comp Hiding under all of them.

This one I don't know much about..It's OLD i'll say that..
It's mostly metal with a plastic front, It has the older kind of floppy drive (those larger ones) And a Keyslot to lock the controls.
No "Designed for..." anything I've never managed to figure this one out..
No Ps2 ports just an old, large keyboard slot. Plugging a monitor into it will result in a blue screen with moving lines..
Inside it is HUGE I've never seen a hard drive that size before.
It has two major ports..The first is the average compuer power cord slot.
Three Prongs sticking out..
But next to it is the opposite A port with three Slots in a similar fassion.
I hear some older monitors use that format.

QuoteThe larger PC I was talking about, I was unable to find a number.
But I did find a brand...It's called
"PC Brand" (oh so creative weren't they?)

Wow!  You, my good Kitsune, have in your possession an official "PC Brand" computer!  ^___^
If the name sounds boring, it is,... but that's because they were apparently sold in those bulk stores -- like Costco or BJ's or SAM's Club -- in the early 1990's.  They were a cheapo-brand in every sense of the word, although they billed themselves as revolutionary due to the "easy upgradeability" -- for instance, in order to upgrade the CPU, you just open the latch, pull out the CPU card, and stick a fresh one in there.  ^__^

I imagine though that this poses many problems (not the least of which is size, which I reckon is why the thing is so large), and may explain why even today we don't have any definitive "lego-like" computers like this one apparently tried to be (one's where you just stick in or take out any component with relative ease, without the risk of static death to your motherboard).  ^.^'

I was kinda hoping it was an Amiga, but from your description I immediately knew from the get-go that it was definitely early 90's (internal HD's were not common in 80's machines).  It's definitely an IBM PC compatible, the processor of which I'll probably guess is a 286 or 386.  Still, it is kinda neat, and I imagine relatively rare.  ^___^

There doesn't seem to be any official website where you can check about this machine (or Positive Corporation, which made them), but this might help:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=2881
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1563/is_n5_v9/ai_10614393

QuoteI dug them out of my clauset...Readying them for their photoshoot and refurbishing, when I Found the stickers still on two of them.
The Headstart explorer and Tandy 1400 LT Were $1.00 each! (what a deal)

Hell yeah!  ^v^
That stuff is museum grade stuff there,... Protect it with your life!  ^0^

QuoteAnd If this counts as a Computer
I have an Atari 800XL with all the plugins and a "Basic Programming" Cart.

Fufufu,... that's an old Atari 8-bit computer,....
I wouldn't sling dirt on that, cause I think I may have owned one of them.  `v'
How nostalgic.... ^____^

Had few games of its own and crappy applications, but I believe it was compatible with C64 games and apps.  ^__^
Not only is it a computer, but I'm still scheduled to draw an AtariDOS-tan.
(though I do have a preconcept sketch of her in my Gallery)

Silentbob

The Atari 400/800-series is the spiritual forerunner of the Amiga, as some of the internals were designed by the same man (God).  Jay Miner.    Ironically, the Amiga would go on to be Ataris thorn in the side and spawn a vicious fanboy war.  :p   (I know, I fought in it.  :D)

C-Chan

Praised be the Great AmigaBob for his Fountain of Boundless Knowledge and Kiosk of Eternal Win!  ^v^

*grovels before AmigaBob*

Techno the fox

Oops, I took another look a few seconds ago....And it's a
Dell optiplex GXi.
My bad :P

Allow me to tell you a sad story...
The farthest I've ever been out of windows is DOS.
Yes..I've just never come across A Mac or Linux PC for sale.

Anyway The Pics are comming.

And yes, I love all the Pcs in my collection.

Warning: This is where Techno's post starts to get off-topic.

I can't begin to imagine the calamity at my house if OS-Tans were real for every os you  had..

2 95-Tans (Old faithful and The white HP)
2 3.1 Tans (The thinkpad and PC brand)
3 Dos Tans (Aptiva, Toshiba, and Tandy)
2 Homeko (CSI and Enpower)
1 Komepo (Most recent HP)
1 Hacchan (HP shell)
1 Me-tan (The Gateway was designed for me.)
1 Saseko (The Dell latitude laptop originally had Xp-pro, but one day it crashed and I had to reformat...and the guy who sold it to me didn't give me XP Pro's system disk.)
1 Headstart-tan (There should  be one since H.E. Is it's own running system)
AtariDOS-tan (Atari 800Xl)
And one of every nintendo and sega videogame tan (I have a relatively large collection of game systems)

More Chaos than Ojisama Chaos of Futaba could possibly bring about on his own..

The two homeko in one place is what worries me the most.

C-Chan

QuoteOops, I took another look a few seconds ago....And it's a
Dell optiplex GXi.
My bad :P

Fufufu... that's better.  ^__^
Yeah, I actually wasn't far from the ballpark,... old, but not unserviceable.... ^v^

And speak of the devil.... lookie what I came across during a Google search:

http://martybugs.net/wireless/optiplex.cgi

Unnecessarily-complicated, but still cool nonetheless.  ^^
Probably could do the same thing with Fedora Core, which is RedHat's free younger sister.

QuoteAllow me to tell you a sad story...
The farthest I've ever been out of windows is DOS.
Yes..I've just never come across A Mac or Linux PC for sale.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!  ^v^
Well Macs for sale are a dime a dozen... at least inside Apples stores.... -v-

But Linux PCs are rare,........... if only because Linux itself is free.  ^.^'

You can got to www.distrowatch.com to pick and choose a distribution to download,..... OR....... you needn't look no further than the Linux Ad banners we have on this forum.  There's a reason why they say "Download Your Copy Today".  ^__~

Admittedly, if you don't have high-speed internet, downloading a distro is not a 10-minute thing,... but even if you do get one, thanks to the technological innovation fo LiveCDs, you'd only be seconds away from trying out a complete and functional Linux system without installing a thing on your PCs.  ^__^

On the other hand, maybe you're the person who likes to take it slow and cool (besides, it's not like there's a shorta of Linux discussion around here... ^^').  In that case, I would still like to encourage you to try out FreeDOS, which is a free, GPL version of DOS that can do anything MS-DOS, PC-DOS, and most other commercial variants can do,... but better.  AND it's continuously updated, so no need to wallow in decade-old software if you don't want to.  ^.^

http://www.freedos.org/

Some FreeDOS-tan sketches exist, but I'd still like to draw my own one day.  ^___^

QuoteI can't begin to imagine the calamity at my house if OS-Tans were real for every os you had..

I see that the DOS-chans, Atari-chan and Headstart-san (I do believe there's an OS-tan for her) are there to keep sanity in your household.  Honor them!  ^-^

*sniffs with pride*  ^__^

Kyo-Chan

*gets oxygen mask*

*inhales*

Its a kinda older computer, but it does what its supposed to do, play video games, emulate other games, and play anime and DDR =^_^=

Cicero Case (Black with silver)
CPU:
1.8ghz AMD Athlon XP 2200+ under stock heatsink with COOLERMASTER fan.

Video:
128mb Geforce 5200FX video card, ProsavageDDR (unused)

Memory:
512mb PC2700 memory

Non Removable Storage:
80GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 (Windows XP)
40gb Apple OEM Hard drive (2000, Linuxes and storage)

Removable Storage:
Sony OEM DVD-RW-HS

Motherboard:
MS-6390 motherboard

Power Supply:
Okai 450 Power supply @ 115-120v 60-63hz - Modified

Operating Systems
Windows XP Home SP2 - Default
Windows 2000 SP4 - Programs older than 2002
PCLinuxOS - Because I like it.
Damn Small Linux - To fix broken OS's
Feather Linux - Trying new things

AND YES THEY ARE ALL INSTALLED ON ONE COMPUTER!

Misc:
No floppy drive installed, all unused parts turned off (Legacy free exept for dialup card)

Monitor:
SONY Trinitron CPD-200-SX (Sony Microscan 200sx)

Mouse: Logitech Click! Optical Mouse

Keyboard: OEM Keyboard

Controller: SCPH-101 PSone controller

MAME: 0.119 Unstable Build 1B

M2EMU: 0.5a

ZINC: 1.1

KAWAKS: 1.58

Anime: Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu, Inital D V4, Naruto the movie.
Movies: Ong-Bak

Games: Dance Dance Revolution, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Comanche Gold, Gunz:TD, Kwonho, Drift City, Soldier Front Etc Etc...

Theres a few more, but I already took my computer apart to get my specs :)
Piinatsubataa pururun nanji! wai oh wai oh Piinatsubataa pururun nanji!

C-Chan

Hey there, Mr. Banana.  Glad to see you stop by my neck of the woods so I can say "hi".  -v-
In any event, welcome and thanks for trying to help out some of my friends.  ^^

Quote*gets oxygen mask*

*inhales*

Its a kinda older computer, but it does what its supposed to do, play video games, emulate other games, and play anime and DDR =^_^=

*quotes whole bunch of nifty system specs*

Dear GAWD, why in the world do people keep saying these kinds of computers are old!  @o@
"Old" is when you still have a space-hogging clunker that can only save information in 5 1/4 inch floppies and datassettes -- and even those still have more power than the equipment that launched Russians and Americans into space decades ago!  (incidentally, happy 50th birthday, Sputnick!  ^v^)

In any event, especially since you have PCLOS-chan in there, that machine's like a Mariott Marquis for it.  ^^

QuoteOperating Systems
Windows XP Home SP2 - Default
Windows 2000 SP4 - Programs older than 2002
PCLinuxOS - Because I like it.
Damn Small Linux - To fix broken OS's
Feather Linux - Trying new things

Incidentally, four out of those five have OS-tans.  ^__^

XP-tan = boobgirl
2k-tan = meganekko
PCLOS-tan = enchantress ^.^
DSL-chan = lilliputian
Feather-chan = drawing material.  ^___^

Incidentally, countless kudos for you for your decision to try out PCLinuxoS.  ^__^
I myself use it not only on my primary machine, but on my auxiliary laptop as well -- and all computers I donate have it preinstalled when possible.  Great system that's only getting better as we speak (hopefully Compiz Fusion will work well enough to be placed out of the Testing Repo).

QuoteAND YES THEY ARE ALL INSTALLED ON ONE COMPUTER!

Fufufu....  That's cute.... ^.^
Course, if you're goal is to reach this fellow:

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-637.html

...then you only have 140 more OSes to go!  ^v^
Good luck, pilgrim!  ^___^

QuoteMisc:
No floppy drive installed, all unused parts turned off (Legacy free exept for dialup card)

Funny,... I actually had to BUY an external USB floppy drive recently since so many of my "patients" are legacy systems that boot off from them.  ^___^

QuoteAnime: Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu...

I see a member of the cloth right there.  ^.^

QuoteGames: Dance Dance Revolution, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Comanche Gold, Gunz:TD, Kwonho, Drift City, Soldier Front Etc Etc...

Awww,... no emulated Wii games.  -v-

QuoteTheres a few more, but I already took my computer apart to get my specs :)

When you put it back together, maybe you could,... you know...... "accidentally" make PCLOS your default?  ^__^

Kyo-Chan

My current operating systems now.

Under VirtualPC
Windows 1.0
Windows 2.0
Windows 3.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows 98 SE
Windows ME

Hardware
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows XP Home SP2
WinPE
PCLinuxOS
Damn Small Linux
Feather Linux
OS/2Warp
Windows Longhorn
Windows Vista Ultimate

Under Emulation
Mac OS 7.5.5
Commodore BASIC 2.0
Microsoft BASIC 7.0
AtariTOS
BeOS

:D

C-Chan

Fufu!!!  Now we're cookin' with fiya!   ^v^

Lesse,....  -v-

*takes out C-chan approval pen, and checks off following names*

1.0-san
2.0-chan
3.0/3.1-sama
95 OSR 2.5-sama [the goddess!]  ^.^

*gets confuzzled by WinPE*

Oh dear GAWDS,... you need preinstallation environments to run Windows now?  T___T'

*shakes head and continues*

PCLOS-tan [ftw!]  ^.^
DSL-chan [cuuuuuuute!]  ^v^
Feather Linux
OS/2-sama [get your M$ revenge right here!]  -v-
OS7-sama [the emo gangsta]  `v'

*ponders*

Not sure if the BASICS qualify as OSes, but oh well,... there's Commodore-tans.  ^.^

AtariTOS [still need to draw her]  ^+^
BeOS [just drew her --  one of the greatest designs to come from +Nijiura+!]  ^v^

Kyo-Chan

Quote from: "C-Chan"Fufu!!!  Now we're cookin' with fiya!   ^v^

Lesse,....  -v-

*takes out C-chan approval pen, and checks off following names*

1.0-san
2.0-chan
3.0/3.1-sama
95 OSR 2.5-sama [the goddess!]  ^.^

*gets confuzzled by WinPE*

Oh dear GAWDS,... you need preinstallation environments to run Windows now?  T___T'

*shakes head and continues*

PCLOS-tan [ftw!]  ^.^
DSL-chan [cuuuuuuute!]  ^v^
Feather Linux
OS/2-sama [get your M$ revenge right here!]  -v-
OS7-sama [the emo gangsta]  `v'

*ponders*

Not sure if the BASICS qualify as OSes, but oh well,... there's Commodore-tans.  ^.^

AtariTOS [still need to draw her]  ^+^
BeOS [just drew her --  one of the greatest designs to come from +Nijiura+!]  ^v^

I should draw Feathru-tan =^_^=

:D nobody else drew one.

Feather linux is a bit bigger than Damn Small, but she is more funtional much like her bigger freind PClinuxOS-tan, she is usually wearing a halo and angel wings, but usually dresses up as her os-tan freinds depending on who she's helping and does the work for them.

C-Chan

Yeah, I think that'd work great.  ^__^

Go forth and conquer, Dancing Banana-san.  -v-