Is Juzo Kun who created almost all Linux Tans?

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, September 21, 2007, 11:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

I was wandering thru internet and I found again on the well known site waka... COUGH COUGH... a Linux Tan (GNU/Linux Tan), made by our artist C-Chan...

http://www.wakachan.org/os/res/27922.html

In this thread they discussed that Linux-Tans were not so cute as Windows-Tans..

And hereby I discovered one interesting thing...

Seems that the person who created almost all Linux Tan is an italian girl...

All the Windows-tans were designed by Japanese artists, and most of the pics you see were drawn by Japanese artists, too. They did one Linux-tan, but it was rather monstrous, Linux doesn't seem to be popular in Japan.

Nearly all the Linux-tans you usually see were designed and drawn by Juzo-kun, an Italian artist.

Do you confirm these news? Or simply she used as models some existing Linux-Tans?

I will pride if it will be confirmed that the Linux-tans were creations by an artist that is italian like me...

Now I am actually searhing about her on Google...
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

C-Chan

Ah, there you go....
I was wondering where you disappeared off to again.... -v-

Wha?!!!! You didn't know about Juzo-sama?!!!  @o@
She actually helped inspire me to draw OS-tans (more than a year ago) and I'm an eternal fan of her Fedora-tan.  ^__^
So after a quick shame-shame-shame on you, I insist you continue your research.  She has a DeviantArt page AND an independent website dedicated to her Linuces,... the DA page has about 3 or 4 additional pictures not featured in the website.

However, I won't go as far as some of those blokes (or bloke?) did in saying she created nearly all existing Linux-tans).  Before her, we had the aforementioned GNU/Linux-tan (and the girl one, not the "monstrous" Kami-Tux), and a few spin-off designs.  Then we had other Japanese artists create a RedHat-tan, a Fedora-tan, a Knoppix-tan, an OpenSUSE-tan, a Gentoo Linux-tan, an Ubuntu-tan (I wrote an article about this "Betty-Boop" style Ubuntu at the wiki), a TurboLinux-tan, etc.  And of course, who can forget Lindows/Linspire, who is perhaps the most famous canon Linux-tan of all, despite not having much favor among real Linux users.  ^^'

However, most of these were one-shots and easily forgotten (we salvaged a few in the gallery, although I can't bare to think how many more over the years slipped through the cracks... ;__;).  And the majority had designs that perhaps were not entirely memorable or had little to do with the original system.  Juzo-kun's redesigns of the ones already available certainly showed a bit more care and knowledge of the systems (plus she helped establish the Linux "spear theme" that we use a lot here), but moreover she also drew other Linux-tans that had (I think) not been previously drawn (such as Arch Linux-tan or Debian-tan.  And being a western artist and having her creations advertised in the old "List of OS-tans" Wikipedia entry, I guess that also helped to canonize her designs in OUR minds at least (I don't believe her designs are that well recognized in Japan).

So you can say she created many Linux-tans, and some of the best Linux-tans of all.  But to say she created nearly all of them is a bit misleading, or even outdated considering we've created a heck of a lot of other Linux-tans as well (including variants of Juzo-kun's designs, such as my aforementioned chibi Linux-tan you found in that hellhole, which is a hybrid of the original GNU/Linux-tan and Juzo-kun's redesign).  ^__^

Raffaele the Amigan

Quote from: "C-Chan"Ah, there you go....
I was wondering where you disappeared off to again.... -v-

Wha?!!!! You didn't know about Juzo-sama?!!!  @o@

Yes... I knew there was an artist called "Juzo-Sama", or "Juzo-Kun", and various times I heard of HIM...

She actually helped inspire me to draw OS-tans (more than a year ago) and I'm an eternal fan of her Fedora-tan.  ^__^

And I also knew your works on Linux-TANs were inspired by HIM...

So I had a double surprise shock.

First to discover that "he" was really a "she"...

Then to discover that she is italian...  o_o

So after a quick shame-shame-shame on you, I insist you continue your research.  She has a DeviantArt page

Found it and wrote in it a salute comment...

AND an independent website dedicated to her Linuces,... the DA page has about 3 or 4 additional pictures not featured in the website.

Found it again...

However, I won't go as far as some of those blokes (or bloke?) did in saying she created nearly all existing Linux-tans).  Before her, we had the aforementioned GNU/Linux-tan (and the girl one, not the "monstrous" Kami-Tux), and a few spin-off designs.  Then we had other Japanese artists create a RedHat-tan, a Fedora-tan, a Knoppix-tan, an OpenSUSE-tan, a Gentoo Linux-tan, an Ubuntu-tan (I wrote an article about this "Betty-Boop" style Ubuntu at the wiki), a TurboLinux-tan, etc.  And of course, who can forget Lindows/Linspire, who is perhaps the most famous canon Linux-tan of all, despite not having much favor among real Linux users.  ^^'

So there were previous designs, but really rough, and she made these TANs to became pretty awesome and gently?

So you can say she created many Linux-tans, and some of the best Linux-tans of all.  But to say she created nearly all of them is a bit misleading, or even outdated...

I see...

Quote...considering we've created a heck of a lot of other Linux-tans as well (including variants of Juzo-kun's designs, such as my aforementioned chibi Linux-tan you found in that hellhole, which is a hybrid of the original GNU/Linux-tan and Juzo-kun's redesign).  ^__^

Infacts... Infacts... I remember I read the comments about your chibi, when visiting this site one of the first times I came here...
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

Alfamille

Congratulations on finding that out Raffaele! In fact her name is based on a character from the game "Star Blazers"

True it's Sig.na Francesca's design  who is an inspiration to all who wanted to draw some Linux distro girls. Obviously C would be a perfect example on how he based Sig.na Francesca's design to his Linux distro's illustrations ^_^

Raffaele the Amigan

Eh eh eh...

"Sig.na" it is just a short in letters for "Signorina" that means "Miss"...

As long as Francesca live with her partner/boyfriend I think she should being called with the title of "Sig.ra" or "Signora" a.k.a. Mrs.

[EDIT]

Or so it seems from her life-comic online, that she lives with her boyfriend but they still never marriaged!

Gonna check about this fact...

[/EDIT]

And actually it is the habit to reckognize also non married couples, as legal partners, so she fully deserves the title of Signora/Mrs.

Well... at least we could call her so, until she explicitly request to be called "Signorina", because she fells to be still young.

(For the latin use, we all are young upto 35 years, then we became man/woman upto 65 years. Passing this age then we are all old)
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

SleepyD

Quote from: "Raffaele the Amigan"
In this thread they discussed that Linux-Tans were not so cute as Windows-Tans.

We could.... cutesify them. XD;

We'd have to take some liberties regarding the design in order to do so, I'm sure. ^^;

C-Chan

Agreed,... Cutesification is perfectly viable.  ^.^

BTW, Alfamille, is it my imagination.... or have you also tried contacting Juzo-sama?  ^^

Alfamille

BTW, Alfamille, is it my imagination.... or have you also tried contacting Juzo-sama? ^^

I wish to...but I haven't ;) It would be also cool if she appeared here.

Oh and Raffaele, thanks on giving more info on the salutation "Sig.na". It's a shame I know little of the language and being limited on knowledge of its culture even though I came from an Italian descent. -_-"

C-Chan

I often wonder if she knows that people have recreated her Linux-tans.  ^^

In any event, the pig is too busy and too shy to find out himself.... -v-

Kami-Tux

I for one have re-drawn some of his Linux-tans. But fyi, Aurora has also created quite an amount of them (and NepaLinux, RedFlagLinux and the prehistoric Linux0.12+VM-tan are my designs).

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

C-Chan

Yessirreebob.... There's no denying that OSC is a haven for Linux-tans.  `v'

Out there in the Wild, though, is a very cold and solitary world for Linux-tans, in which only Futaba Linux and "Lindows" (they still call her that... *rolls eyes*) are acknowledged to exist.  T___T

CaptBrenden

Not all of OSC is linux friendly.  T__T

However, Ill remind you that it seems we are not viewed lovingly by our japanese counterparts in ostan fandom.  Thus being the case, please avoid comments about them that may instigate problems if we get more "visitors" like before.  We are here to support the ostans, not fight over whos design is better and the like.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Who says I'm referring to our Japanese counterparts?  `v'

On the contrary, the ones I've met have been unusually friendly, even if I don't understand 100% of what they're saying.  Our Western... "neighbors"... could learn a thing or two from them,... although I'd be perfectly content if they cared about what I said just as much as I care what they say (which is nil, in case you're wondering).  `__'

Oh, and you doomed any prospect of being anything other than a Linux ally one you told me Linux users were "okay" (waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when in that second PM of yours,... pigs don't forget, you know.... -v-).  So yes, we're a haven.  ^__^

CaptBrenden

Linux ally , you wish.  I like my tux meadium rear, leave the feathers on.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

Ohhhh,... how times have changed.... -v-

Ah well,... it'll only be a matter of time before times change yet again and an open source computer system will be the big gaming juggernaut that everyone wants.  And when you come crawling back, I'll be waiting to grant you amnesty....  ^.^

(Course, you'll also have to add an alternative OS-tan to your manga as collateral.)