Free Fonts for Comics usage. Where to found it?

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, September 22, 2007, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

I wonder where to found free fonts that are suitable to create Comics...

I intend to create lettering in Ballons...  ;018

Something like this, but free:

http://www.identifont.com/samples/blambot/10CentComics.gif

http://www.slanted.de/images/comic_fonts03.GIF

http://www.slanted.de/images/comic_fonts04.GIF

Any help from all of you artists will be welcome...
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

VonDaab

I prefer Action Man as basic font.

Just google it.

Edit: 15seconds of Google, dafont.com has pretty good collection of fonts.

Raffaele the Amigan

Well, I felt a bit misinterpreted...

I googled for free fonts various times, but I never found a collection of fonts which have good fonts for comics, as I like...

There are some close to what I want, but mainly are close to the originals but are AWFUL, or have always some faults in design of some letter signs, or look pretty at screen, but not when printed or vice-versa.

(this regarding USA comics fonts I am searching)...

I think that for USA fonts I will do by myself and start checking the site you suggested me if there are fonts I could like...

Thanks a lot!

-----

However to explain better my thoughts, and avoid being misinterpreted in the future, I want to say that I started the thread to ask for artists who experienced PERSONALLY some good fonts, and then they could suggest me DIRECTLY the site to download it...

This will avoid me googling again and again until I will find some fonts that could satisfacing me...

-----

Again, but this is another topic (just to let you know it), even if I search USA fonts, also for my habit of reading italian fonts I longer prefer '70 style italian Mickey Mouse Magazine fonts which are still in use today.

These were hand written, but very very polite.

http://www.fumetti.org/goria/Originali/GiorgioCavazzano1542-28A-26.jpg

http://www.fumetti.org/goria/Originali/SergioAsteriti981-137.jpg

Unfortunately obviously there is no computer fonts about these latter ones... I know perfectly of this lack...

And obviously to create a font like it, then I should create it by scanning it and using tracing programs like Autotrace, and a Font Maker program...

I can't escape this job if I want it...

-----

And in the end, just to start again another topic, I want to made you an example of what is (IMHO) the worst example of usage of comic fonts in the world...

In Germany all comics had for a long time this font, like those used in typewriters...

Yes. It was widely adopted this font style...

UGH... It looks AWFUL to me...  ;026

When I saw this font style, I always desired to avoid to make such an error in my comics, and I will work to make my comics look pretty and readable AND NOT awful, due to a bad font lettering...

Fortunately it seems that they germans changed their habit, and recently begun to use more stylish fonts.

See the example in this manga:

[WARNING: This last image from "Victorian Romance Emma" Manga contains nudity]

REMOVED BY MOD, SEE FOLLOWING MOD POST

[WARNING: This last image from "Victorian Romance Emma" Manga contains nudity]

See ya...  ;hi
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
[/color]
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

VonDaab

Yeah sorry, I didn't know you're that picky about fonts.
In retrospect, I should've not replied in this thread because I don't have much experience in comic typography.

*Looks at the german disney comic*   ...dang.
Not much different from what they use in Finland.

I like how you had to use the only nude scene of the whole Emma serie as an example.

Raffaele the Amigan

I used the Emma image containing nude, because it is the first image of comics with german language I found, with a certain elegant font...

Yesterday, when answering you, I don't want to work too much typing answers and searching in google regarding a suitable comic sample with german language, because I was following with terrific interest online progressing of Pianeta Amiga Exhibit which took place saturday and sunday.

With more time, and more relaxing situation, then I had had searched it well a polite example of modern comic fonts used in Germany...

P.S.

So you have typewriter fonts in ballons in Finalnd also? Do you?

And as you are a direct witness of comics translated in Finnish, then please can I make you this question:

Do you prefer typewriter fonts on Comics in Finland?

Or do you believe that artistic fonts, matching the situation and the design, and the the comic style will enhance the reading of the comic book?

Or perhaps you do not care of the typeface of comics fonts, just because it is an heritance of comic culture in your country?

I am very curious about this fact. If you could tell me yur impressions I will apprecciate it.

Thanks in anticipation.
[/color]
[/color]
[/color]

VonDaab

Yes, we have typewriter fonts here, like this picture as example.

I think it's become more a tradition thing that font because it's been used since late 60´s if i remember correct.

Personally I have no problem with typewriter fonts as long they look good, though Aku Ankka(donald duck in finnish) comic font isn't the best choice.

The comic scene in finland is pretty much monopolized by amerrikkan comics by Disney, marvel and dc comics.
Manga is in great rise at moment with all the finnish translated books they publish here.
Getting widely popular with pre-teens and teenages, kinda giving the rest of people very wrong image of the manga culture. Manga is considered here kinda "girls thing".
Dang went bit offtopic.
Well, lately many the finnish publishers have grown aware of the digital texting(typing, whatever) making them go for the digital "script, handmade-look" fonts instead of making it for hand.

Hand lettering the bubbles was still in the 90's pretty big thing.
Now, mostly people who seek more "artistical" style for their comics, go for handmade text.

In the end, I think Aku Ankka is pretty much the only finnish comic using this kind of font.
I hope all this scrible is readable.

CaptBrenden

HUmm, Well if you find a good set of fonts let me know, Im working on sort of the same thing right now.

Btw, what is it that your bubbling, and what program are you using to put it togeather?

oh, and sorry, I took your link down for the nudity.  Unfortunatly a disclaimer is not enough, no nudity or saggestive material is alowed out of the 18 or older section -_- Try to find a page of that same comic with the same font without nudity.  Heck we had a complaint about the sexy pictures thread once because it was... well you get the idea.
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.