OS-Tan Animated Desktop Assistant Project

Started by deusprogrammer, September 06, 2007, 09:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

Quotei have been checking a lot of things on os-tans, and i found the "Annex" quite interesting

Thanks, although the Annex is already old and will more or less be replaced by our OSC Wiki.  ^^

Quoteit's okay, and true, in "my times" almost everybody used "che", sadly, today not many do use it, and instead use other words, usually to show what "group you do belong to", be it either the dark or gothic culture, the ones the syndicates, mafias or whatever it's said in english, influenced most, political groups, but somehow in the middle of all that the "che" as well as most of our "lunfardo" is being lost, kind of like OS/2-tan or maybe like VMS-tan, but worse *sweatdrops*

Story of our lives, no?  -v-

Quotequestion off post -> do you know where i can find some programming language that would do it for this, "project" of this topic?
i'm not too sure yet on how much time it'd take for me, but i'd really like to take it, at least part of it, i'm not good at making cg's and the rest of the artwork

Technically that question is ON topic.  ^^;
When developing something like this, the best approach is to make this as cross platform as possible, so consider Java, Python, Ruby and so forth.

We can try and help you with the art aspect, just as long as you can really get along with this project.  However, PLEASE KEEP IT SIMPLE.  Otherwise, if you burn yourself out before finishing, we'll be back where we started.  ^___^;

Quoteby the way (optional personal question) where do you live?

Oh right,... my location is translated as "Binteji Renmei" so I live at the "Vintage Federation".  ^_________^

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Zilka

Hi everyone! I've found this Vis-tan a few days ago. Ever since I've settled her on my desktop I had the same idea!

I think a version for Vista could easily be a gadget, thats when you undock one it can be any size:
I think they are powerful enough, even for animation.
Will allow transparency.  This one has transparency and that looks really cool!
Gadgets seem safer, so people will be happier with installing it.

Here's what she could do:
blink
sneeze -> blush
wink -> smile
wink -> blush
look down (realise she's almost naked) -> blush
point out a finger and display info in a bubble
smile
check her hair with one hand
put her arms in front and just along her body (alternative pose)
put her arms on her chest (alternative pose)

all of the above doesn't require interaction.
At later stage could add these:
greet user on start up
wave good bye on shut down
look bored when user away for 10 minutes
squat after 10 more minutes
start to cry after 10 more minutes
express happiness when user is back

I wouldn't expect intercation with cursor, because it feels more personal when she looks at the user rather that pays attention to the cursor.

Hope we could get this guy
to help us.

NejinOniwa

...err...
Actually...
If I'm not totally mistaken, that's Darknight-kun. Look through the memberlist.
Now to convince him to do some work...well that might be a bit of a challenge -w-;
Anyway, since you seem to be a new guy, head over to the Member Introduction Thread, to get yourself properly glompage'd to death, beaten with a stick and caught in a haxx'd pokeball (aka introduced to the community ^-^; ), and then we'll see - this project has been a hard one to start, hasn't it...

Kiso

Man... I am starting to wonder what would happen if the FOSA team could ever get to do something like this one.

I kind of got interested, even though I prefer to stay at the sidelines until I see this is getting somewhere.
Sponsored by: iLurk - the new service that lets you stay and not be here | Procrast - the program where nothing intended gets done | HTML - home town messing life

C-Chan

QuoteHope we could get this guy
to help us.

Yeah, that's our resident Batman.  ^___^
There was a sighting of him over at Members Introduction not but a few hours ago.  You might just be able to catch him (bring a net just in case).  ^v^

When he told us he was going to go back to his Online Multiplayer battleship thingie, I didn't think he seriously meant he was gonna stay there indefinitely.  ^V^;

QuoteMan... I am starting to wonder what would happen if the FOSA team could ever get to do something like this one.

I kind of got interested, even though I prefer to stay at the sidelines until I see this is getting somewhere.

Actually, our resident Infinity Zero-tan has also produced a lot of interesting little applets like that.  Feel free to check out his threads, in case you like his work and want to try out some of the programs:

http://ostan-collections.net/topic-454.html
http://ostan-collections.net/topic-651.html
http://ostan-collections.net/topic-692.html

Easier still, just check out his website:

http://www.ani-mini.com/

Offers a very good incentive to brush up on your Thai.  ^.^

Okakkun

I'm really interested in this project! XP-TAN WANT. ^_^
If needed, I'm studying voice acting. I can do cute voices and MANLY VOICES. This needs to happen. This project might also require sugary foods. I can bake an amazing batch of cookies. ;034

NejinOniwa

It seems like this thing has been acquiring attention of late...

QuoteMan... I am starting to wonder what would happen if the FOSA team could ever get to do something like this one.

It'd be a larger project, since it not only requires image work but also coding AND voice acting. Now, that's not a problem with an organized team, is it? I suggest we go into the IRC and discuss more details there.

Darknight_88

Seems I missed a lot of things in the time I was gone...

Hi everyone! I've found this Vis-tan a few days ago. Ever since I've settled her on my desktop I had the same idea!
Hope we could get this guy
HAHA OH WOW

The idea of making it a windows vista/google dekstop/yahoo sounds interesting. Though I have no idea on how those things are made.
I had the idea of making her mostly like a visual novel/eroge game interface, with some shots of the character changing expressions and from time to time changing positions, but not completely animated.

On my own defense I'll say that I haven't forgot about this, and about a month ago I started sketching some designs of XP-tan. But I have been busy to continue working in it :/

Now to convince him to do some work...well that might be a bit of a challenge -w-;
Did I just read someone complaining about my laziness and lack of time due to uni work?

NejinOniwa

On my own defense I'll say that I haven't forgot about this, and about a month ago I started sketching some designs of XP-tan. But I have been busy to continue working in it
Well if we change that to "Too busy to work on it alone", then the rest of the team would definitely be able to assist, right?

VonDaab

Uh oh. I need to learn use Flash.

I fail in making gifs so only thing I have to show is the flash version.
http://wizth.deviantart.com/art/animation-test1-78107772

So is it something similar to this that the project is looking for in animation?

CaptBrenden

nice.. she looks like shes repeadedly freezing..
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

C-Chan

That is very nice VonDaab, and yes after blinking a few times naturally she looks like she gets all sleepy and shuts off (literally).  Very cute.  ^^

I definitely would suggest keeping the animation as small as possible -- the simpler the characters are, the faster they can be done and the more animation can be packed into the Desktop Assistant.  That, and of course there's still the programming aspect to take care of as well.

This sounds like an excellent project that can get a few of you involved in some major and invigorating team effort, so I do wish you guys the best with this.

Zilka

Ok, I started making Vista sidebar gadgets.
http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=15b12c25-b2da-455b-9c62-6981c3a0f2ce Actually its not that hard. They are html pages that support transparent pngs and can be updated with any frequency with javascript. I'll try to put together a gadget with Vis-tan some time this or next week. It would be great if Darknight could make a few frames with Vis-tan blinking. I think 2-3 frames will be enough. If this works and Darknight has some free time we might have our very own fully functional Vis-tan very soon! Though only Vista compatible... Lets give it a try?

Zilka

Finally version 1.0 of legendary Vis-tan sidebar gadget is ready!
http://rapidshare.com/files/121510557/Vistan.gadget.html
When you install it, its not going to display properly. Instead there will be a white line on the sidebar. Just close it and go to the "add gadget" window. You can add it from there. It will display properly now. Just drag it away from the sidebar and put it in such a way that her legs are behind the taskbar and the finger is right on the taskbar. Enjoy.