OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteIf memory serves, those Desktop Effects are just your usual, run-of-the-mill, cheap desktop eyecandy like shadows and transparency effects and such. KDE4 plans to incorporate some really nice ones (so that people that can't run Beryl can at least savor some imitation 3D), but certainly the current KDE and Gnome don't have anything that will match a 3D desktop. At most, they end up looking like XP with its own fancy desktop eyecandy enabled.

That sounds about right....

QuoteSo like,... can we fit in BSDers in there somehow? If I could promote FreeB-chan through inclusion in this hypothetical logo, then for SURE I'd make it so! ^v^

I won't even imagine what the final acronym would look like, though. O__O

We could add "Unixians", which would cover all the Unix based OSs, or if that's to broad we could always just put BSD fans. Or daemon-worshipers!

QuoteI figured you might've. I for one am bathing in champagne from the news (and so is every Multician out there, I bet). ^___^

Gaaah!

Well, I say good for them :) Hopefully they can try and get some use out of it and adapt it for today's uses.

Though, on the OS-tan level I'm a bit freaked out...

I've seen one to many episodes of FMA to trust those who have been brought back from the dead...

or maybe that was Pushing Daisies?

QuoteAnyway, back to the subject at hand,... if you want an excellent, tragic, dark, haunting song for UNIX-sama's reaction, might I recommend Mozart's Requiem Mass? Actual story is much more interesting, but even if you've only seen the movie "Amadeus", you'll see how well the circumstances fit like a glove here. ^___^

Yes, Mozart's Requiem fits quite well too!

And that is quite a history behind it...

QuoteFunny,... I was thinking the same thing, except with an intentionally-fixed game of Draw Straws. Since SCO-chan has degenerated into a raving lunatic of sorts, she becomes the butt end of a lot of mischief. ^^;

Now all we need is for Xenix to be miraculously open-sourced as well, so SHE can return from the grave and "reeducate" her wayward brat. ^.^

Ahhh, being the Unix family whipping boy...small price to pay for being totally pwned by Novell ;)

As for Xenix (and VMS for the matter) being open sourced, I still don't see how that can happen. VMS is still doing fine at HP, and Xenix...well, it's still M$'s (or is it SCO's?), and either way that can't bode well for it.

Multics wasn't making anyone anything, and was basically a good OS just sitting on the shelf, so I can see why MIT opened it....

QuoteDon't forget one thing, though,... None of her children know this (or at least admit to doing so), so them reporting this is no different from reporting the usual daily enemy incursion

I was trying to get around to that, but tis quite difficult saying so much on one breath without passing out :P

Although, you'd think the cat's gonna get out of the bag soon...I mean, every Multics site from here to Timbuktu seems to mention this fact no less than two or three dozen times...

Quotein fact, it'd probably be even more hilarious if SCO-chan,... expecting the usual swearing and thrown chairs with the news that daughter Plan 9-tan was raising the dead again... ended up being trapped in the same room with a mentally unstable UNIX-sama (oh yeah, you can bet that's hell). ^___^;

Thrown chairs? Swearing? My Lord! Unix-sama really is a New Jerseyite!

*Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that!*

No, I think that's be a befitting punishment for SCO-tan ;006

*SCO-tan+Slackware-chan+Unix-sama....comic gold!*

Quote*puts two and two together*

Hmmm,... sounds suspiciously like one of those IBM commercials that did WONDERS for OS/2..... `v'

Was that sarcasm?

(I'm never sure, computers suck at sarcasm XD)

QuoteSo will there also be a company called ZCO claiming to own the copyrights to the original Multics, and will act as a mercenary to Microvell in order to spread baseless FUD about Lultucs usage? Ahhhh,... how history doth repeat itself. ^____^

Damn...I was trying to add a SCO reference, but couldn't quite :P

QuoteI knew it!! You destroyed an alternate timeline while you were out with Leopard-sama, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!! `0'

*sighs and shakes head* Ahhhh Bella Bella Bella,... WHAT am I gonna DO with YOU? ^.^

You caught me there. I was trying to go back to the 80s to invest in M$ stock!

QuoteIn any event, speaking of raising the dead, here's a little revival of Multics-sama's great great great great great great great grandmother:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7094881.stm

*Eureka!*

I know what's going on! With the release of Vista, they've reached the known bounds of usefulness in modern OSs! So they're trying to go back and see if any ancient computers will have more usefulness!

*pretty soon we'll hear of an attempt to hook the Antikythera mechanism up to broadband, or install Linux on an abacus...*

C-Chan

QuoteWe could add "Unixians", which would cover all the Unix based OSs, or if that's to broad we could always just put BSD fans. Or daemon-worshipers!

I kinda favor Unixians a little,... sound like something out of the Dune universe.  ^^

So then we can make it MEWXPZLFUXAWV,.............. although suddenly I'm now reminded me of the problem with calling Pacman by its original name of "Puckman".  ^^;

In any event, maybe I can make something neat over the weekend with this,....... although I seriously should stop doing so many side projects.  ^____^;
Okay, I'll keep it simple....

QuoteI've seen one to many episodes of FMA to trust those who have been brought back from the dead...

Oh right!  Almost forgot to tell you.....

I'm starting to watch Full Metal Alchemist!!!  ^v^

*wags tail as he expects pat on the head*

Yeah, you were right, there's enough short jokes on it to definitely be a nice way to fight back Lovely Compex withdrawal.  ^___^
Between that and Mahou Sensei Negima, I think I'll be fine.  ^.^

QuoteAnd that is quite a history behind it...

Very,... "Unixian", isn't it?  `v'

QuoteAs for Xenix (and VMS for the matter) being open sourced, I still don't see how that can happen. VMS is still doing fine at HP, and Xenix...well, it's still M$'s (or is it SCO's?), and either way that can't bode well for it.

Yeah.... admittedly that was a case of brain flatulence on my part.  It was only long after I wrote this that I remember,... it's SCO that owns it!  Oh great, mom and daughter are doomed forever.  T___T;

It's likelier for OS/2 to ever be open sourced than Xenix, and fat chance of even THAT happening.  ^^;

QuoteMultics wasn't making anyone anything, and was basically a good OS just sitting on the shelf, so I can see why MIT opened it....

Darn,... that probably means Amiga-san won't get opened any time soon,... what with the poor excuse for a current owner pretending like they'll do something tangible with her when all they're doing is hindering progress.  T__T

QuoteAlthough, you'd think the cat's gonna get out of the bag soon...I mean, every Multics site from here to Timbuktu seems to mention this fact no less than two or three dozen times...

Fufufu.... they lie!
Lie I say!

Unix-sama and Multics are related not one bit!  Nope,...  No relation at all!  ^__^
Big Sister is Watching you!  2 + 2 = 5!!

Carry on, citizen.  -v-

QuoteWas that sarcasm?

(I'm never sure, computers suck at sarcasm XD)

Course.  The only good OS/2 commercial was, in fact, a Japanese one.  ^___^;

Quote*Eureka!*

I know what's going on! With the release of Vista, they've reached the known bounds of usefulness in modern OSs! So they're trying to go back and see if any ancient computers will have more usefulness!

*pretty soon we'll hear of an attempt to hook the Antikythera mechanism up to broadband, or install Linux on an abacus...*

Well point of fact,... I have seen Linux installed on a toaster.  ^^;

Bella

QuoteI kinda favor Unixians a little,... sound like something out of the Dune universe. ^^

So then we can make it MEWXPZLFUXAWV,.............. although suddenly I'm now reminded me of the problem with calling Pacman by its original name of "Puckman". ^^;

In any event, maybe I can make something neat over the weekend with this,....... although I seriously should stop doing so many side projects. ^____^;
Okay, I'll keep it simple....

Whaaa...? Did you just say what i think you did...?

QuoteI'm starting to watch Full Metal Alchemist!!! ^v^

*wags tail as he expects pat on the head*

Yeah, you were right, there's enough short jokes on it to definitely be a nice way to fight back Lovely Compex withdrawal. ^___^
Between that and Mahou Sensei Negima, I think I'll be fine. ^.^

Yay!!!

Yep, I figured you'd like a main-character whose shorter than all the female ones :p And even his little (or I should say younger) brother...

QuoteYeah.... admittedly that was a case of brain flatulence on my part. It was only long after I wrote this that I remember,... it's SCO that owns it! Oh great, mom and daughter are doomed forever. T___T;

It's likelier for OS/2 to ever be open sourced than Xenix, and fat chance of even THAT happening. ^^;

*starts playing worlds smallest violin for SCO-tan*

Nah, it's kinda sad Xenix had such a bad fate, not to mention such a brat for a daughter.

Oh, why couldn't M$ have held onto Xenix :..(

(but I Guess then we'd have never gotten our VMS-based NT)

QuoteDarn,... that probably means Amiga-san won't get opened any time soon,... what with the poor excuse for a current owner pretending like they'll do something tangible with her when all they're doing is hindering progress. T__T

Poor Miggy!!! I'm getting tired of having to say that : |

Maybe if they did have enough initiative, they would make something out of her. Either that, or maybe open sourcery just wasn't her destiny.

QuoteFufufu.... they lie!
Lie I say!

Unix-sama and Multics are related not one bit! Nope,... No relation at all! ^__^
Big Sister is Watching you! 2 + 2 = 5!!

Carry on, citizen. -v-

If I didn't know better, I'd think they were just trying to be the 'victims' (aka, oh, Unix ripped us off!)

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh yeah, and if you didn't realize this from reading the 28 other threads I mentioned this in...

I'M WRITING FROM UBUNTU!!!!! YIPPEE!!!

C-Chan

QuoteWhaaa...? Did you just say what i think you did...?

Nope.  Just a harmless figment of your wild, DEC-centric imagination.  ^^

QuoteOh, why couldn't M$ have held onto Xenix :..(

(but I Guess then we'd have never gotten our VMS-based NT)

Instead we'd have a Unix-based NT, no?  ^^'

But get this,... maybe then OSX would then be,.... *gasp*... VMS-based?
Mac OSV.... -v-

*imagines Pu-chan with sexy leather wear and giant sword*

*frothes in the mouth*  @v@

*swoons*

QuoteMaybe if they did have enough initiative, they would make something out of her. Either that, or maybe open sourcery just wasn't her destiny.

There's an old wise saying:  "Martyrdonm is a dish best served warm, with a side of Miggy".  -.-

QuoteOh yeah, and if you didn't realize this from reading the 28 other threads I mentioned this in...

I'M WRITING FROM UBUNTU!!!!! YIPPEE!!!

*sighs with pride*  I remember when Bella-chan was just thiiiis tiny... taking her first steps with Puppy-chan.  -v-

And now look at her,... typing in Ubuntu and stuff!  ^___^

Very well,... I shall make you that MEWXPZLF*XAWV logo as a kind of graduation gift of sorts.

[seriously]   ^__~

Bella

QuoteInstead we'd have a Unix-based NT, no? ^^'

But get this,... maybe then OSX would then be,.... *gasp*... VMS-based?
Mac OSV.... -v-

*frothes in the mouth* @v@

*swoons*

*hears Twilight Zone music*

Or, even better, they'd both be Unix like and be cousins! Or....sisters!

QuoteThere's an old wise saying: "Martyrdonm is a dish best served warm, with a side of Miggy". -.-

That shouldn't be funny, but...

I guess being ahead of your time can either be a really good asset or a bad liability : |

Quote*sighs with pride* I remember when Bella-chan was just thiiiis tiny... taking her first steps with Puppy-chan. -v-

And now look at her,... typing in Ubuntu and stuff! ^___^

Very well,... I shall make you that MEWXPZLF*XAWV logo as a kind of graduation gift of sorts.

[seriously] ^__~

At any rate, Ubuntu's been the easiest to work with....

Still trying to figure out how we're to say our club name. Now with the asterisk, I'm not sure if that helps or hurts O__o

*thinks*

Mewzipzlef-Unix-or-not-awve...?

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"Still trying to figure out how we're to say our club name. Now with the asterisk, I'm not sure if that helps or hurts O__o

*thinks*

Mewzipzlef-Unix-or-not-awve...?
MEWXPZULFAWV, maybe?  This would place Unixians before Linux Fans. (Possibly pronounced, Mewks-puz-ul-fauv(-e))

...or maybe, to add extra consonants, change Unixians to Unix Disciples (MEWXPZLFUDAWV, possibly pronounced Mewks-puz-ul-fud-auv(-e))

Techno the fox

QuoteInstead we'd have a Unix-based NT, no? ^^'

GASP!! Unix based Inu-t! I can only imagine what that'd be like..

QuoteBut get this,... maybe then OSX would then be,.... *gasp*... VMS-based?
Mac OSV.... -v-

*frothes in the mouth* @v@

*swoons*

Does this mean Leopard-chan gets a similar outfit? *eager stare*

C-Chan

QuoteMEWXPZULFAWV, maybe? This would place Unixians before Linux Fans. (Possibly pronounced, Mewks-puz-ul-fauv(-e))

...or maybe, to add extra consonants, change Unixians to Unix Disciples (MEWXPZLFUDAWV, possibly pronounced Mewks-puz-ul-fud-auv(-e))

AHA!!!!!!!!  I've always DREAMED of inundating the world in yet MORE FUD!!!!!!!  ^v^

(fyi, FUD = "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt")

SOLD!!!!!!  ^___^

*slams gavel*

Even though I'm not technically the club leader, I'm usurping the position momentarily to say that MEWXPZLFUDAWV sounds like a winner!  ^.^

Okay, I'll start to work immediately on that logo,... just waiting for my finalized CE-tan/DSL sibling drawing to render.  ^___^

QuoteDoes this mean Leopard-chan gets a similar outfit? *eager stare*

Don't just eagerly stare at her.  Add her to your avatar!  She demands a permanent spot in your avatar!  ^0^

*C-chan begs*  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?  ;v;

*looks at Homeko Monster*

*shudders*

*continues begging*

BTW, ever thought about joining a very prestigious new club?  it'll be lots of fun!  ^_______^

Bella

QuoteDoes this mean Leopard-chan gets a similar outfit? *eager stare*

Leather or not, she time travels @____@ So she's incredibly awesome to me.

But I have a feeling you'd like the drawing I'm working on of Leopard-chan...

QuoteAHA!!!!!!!! I've always DREAMED of inundating the world in yet MORE FUD!!!!!!! ^v^

(fyi, FUD = "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt")

SOLD!!!!!! ^___^

*slams gavel*

Even though I'm not technically the club leader, I'm usurping the position momentarily to say that MEWXPZLFUDAWV sounds like a winner! ^.^

Sounds right to me. FUD and Vista go together like cherries and sundaes :P

Quote*C-chan begs* Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease? ;v;

*looks at Homeko Monster*

*shudders*

*continues begging*

Oh come on. So she's a yaoi artist. And she's terribly antagonistic. And she has the hots for her brother. Does that make her a bad person?

Admittedly, I'd probably hate her if she wasn't the mascot for the only Windows OS I've ever liked (but I've kinda adopted XP Pro-tan XD)

QuoteBTW, ever thought about joining a very prestigious new club? it'll be lots of fun! ^_______^

Yeah, please join! We've even got an opening in the secretary position, too!

Aurora Borealis

Is there room for another member in the MEWXPZLFUDAWV club?

Techno the fox

What the heck?
I posted here, I sware I did. I even saw it go through.
But when I come back, My post and Avatar are gone.
Ah well, both are fixed now..

Anyway...

Thanks for showing me those avatars C-chan.
*Changes his avatar to the super cute present time Leopard-tan*

Leopard-chan!! *glomps*

On an OSX note.
I was browsing through the Mac image gallery when I noticed..
..How delightfully moe and cute Puma-chan is :D
-with all due respect-
(and don't worry C-chan I'm not trying to steal her from you)

The MEWXPZLFUDAWV

Mac Evangelists, Windows XP Zealots Linux Fans and Unix Disciples Against Windows Vista club?

Hmmmm......     I'd love to join. ^-^

Consider the club +1 Fox.

(To everyone: I'm sorry about the lack of posts by me recently, I've just been really busy as of late. But I promise to get on the ball and start posting more)

C-Chan

QuoteAdmittedly, I'd probably hate her if she wasn't the mascot for the only Windows OS I've ever liked (but I've kinda adopted XP Pro-tan XD)

Thanks to this picture,...

...I admit a mild crush on XP Pro-tan, so I approve of your preference for her over the "other one"..... ¬v¬

QuoteYeah, please join! We've even got an opening in the secretary position, too!

Still working on that logo, btw.  ^.^

QuoteIs there room for another member in the MEWXPZLFUDAWV club?

*wags tail*  o-k-a-y!!  We are growing major traction here! ^v^

QuoteThanks for showing me those avatars C-chan.
*Changes his avatar to the super cute present time Leopard-tan*

KITSUNE-SAN!!!!!!!  ^V^

*kisses avatar 25 times*

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^-^

QuoteOn an OSX note.
I was browsing through the Mac image gallery when I noticed..
..How delightfully moe and cute Puma-chan is
-with all due respect-
(and don't worry C-chan I'm not trying to steal her from you)

*hugs Pu-chan protectively*  Â¬Â¬

.........Sou......

I suppose....... in the spirit of sharing,...... I can lend Pu-chan to you.................. for about 10 minutes.....  Â¬v¬

On the other hand, there is an ALTERNATE Pu-chan that's like abandoned somewhere in +Nijiura+ and needs a good home. Blond hair, pigtailed and violent,... trust me, you'd go bonkers for her.... ^___^

*continues hogging Pu-chan all to himself*  ^o^

Quote(To everyone: I'm sorry about the lack of posts by me recently, I've just been really busy as of late. But I promise to get on the ball and start posting more)

No problemo.  We're all part-timer OS-tanverse builders here!  ^___^

Bella

Quote...I admit a mild crush on XP Pro-tan, so I approve of your preference for her over the "other one"..... ¬v¬

That's a new one, she's usually depicted as a cow ;)

QuoteStill working on that logo, btw. ^.^

Cool!

Can't wait to see what it's gonna look like!

C-Chan

Wow, had a very rough day, so couldn't get inspired with this one until very late in the evening.  -.-

Suffice to say, it's half-done.  ^___^
Just need XP Pro-san and as yet undisclosed Mac-tan.  ^.^

Don't worry about the Vista banner, as it will look a LOT more messed up when we're done with it.  -v-

Now then, better put this hideous day behind me and rest.... -.-

Promise to reply to y'all tomorrow!  ^__^

*flops over keyboard*

*snore*  -___- Zzzzzzzzzz

Aurora Borealis

FreeBSD-tan looks so adorable eating the banner! :D

And can you please give me a hint who the Mac-tan to appear in the logo is? Pretty please? :D