OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno the fox

Quote from: "C-chan"I swear, the thing looks like a baby Pyramid Head.... O__o

XD Yeah, I agree with you there. Some of the unixes have some weird mascots.. Though I just remembered the Living Help button from Homeko's setup program, and the Wizard from ME. (I think it was ME)

Quote from: "C-chan"Careful now..... Inferno-chan may be powerful, but is also fairly easy to distract. ^__^
You wouldn't want for her to walk out on you, chasing after a piece of candy or other curiosity, while Secchan pulls out an auxiliary bottle opener just for you. ^.^

O.O meep. I didn't think of that.
(even worse she could use one of her other "Devices" such as the Dual Sizors.)

Quote from: "C-chan"Ah yes, and she does that a lot. ^___^
Don't bother complaining to the mother, since she's worse. ^.^'

*gulp* Plan-9-sama.
I've never really encountered her, but I'm sure I don't want to..

Quote from: "C-chan"Than you. ^__^
Yeah, I kinda like the prettified Head Crabs the most, if only because of the sweet sweet irony of it all. ^___^

Bwahahah!
Yes, Headcrab-chan is one of my favorites too. You just gotta love a headcrab with a little bow.

Just something I noticed, FreeBSD-tan's eaten everything on that list at least once (well, except for the Calamity chans and Styx)

Quote from: "Bella"*starts singing a carol*

*Bunnies roasting on an open fire, jack frost nippin' at your nose...*

Ahh. I'll have to remember that one around christmas time.

Bella

QuoteAwww... but Glenda's kinda cute for a UNIX mascot. ^___^
Better than that weird triangle Java thingie that follows Solaris-sama around. ^___^

Yeah, kinda cute...but look at that expression...what's she planning..?

Not like cuddly little Tux :P

And yeah, that Java thing is creepy O___O

Quote*musical cultural reference goes WAAAAAAAAAAAY over C-chan's head*

Okay,... you bested me,.... I'm lost..... XvX

C'mon, 70s power-rock song? Annoying? Ring a bell...?

Bah, it fits her perfectly ;)

QuoteI'm trying very hard to repel that though with humorous story ideas. ^___^
I was recently tossing around an idea where a young Inferno-chan (after perhaps watching a little too much of FreeB-chan's anime) yearns to go to school, and Plan 9-tan (ever attentive to her daughters wants and needs) orders the BSD-tans to build one. She becomes the teacher, and gets everyone in the Userspace Gang to become pretend-students to set the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the BSD-tans end up building a mock high school instead (gee,... wonder why?), and test Plan 9-tan's patience in the classroom making less-than-subtle references to and parodies of high school anime (in other words, 90% of the market).

LOL!!!  ;010

Great idea XD!

QuoteFunny how I chose to lump in regular VMS-tan and OpenVMS-tan into one character when I first did her character concept -- but I definitely did not know of the existence of the FreeVMS project.

I think the VMS/OpenVMS being one character idea is good. It shows how she evolves from a very mainstream existence to a much more shadowy and fringe one.

As for FreeVMS, I only discovered that because I clicked on the wrong link in Wikipedia! It's been up for months, and it's usually linked to VMS...but this time it went to this other page and I was like, no #*&^%*$ way!?

QuoteWould make for an interesting discussion of who she'd be,... descendant or just avid admirer and/or follower? ^__^

Well, I think a "blood" descendant is usually a character that either has code transfer, close internal similarities, or a common architect and or team. I guess NT only has the latter two, but given the circumstances I think it works quite well as VMS-sama being the mother of NT-sama.

I think, FreeVMS-chan (some reason I'm seeing her as-GASP-a young girl, for FreeVMS seems very barebones a system, IE, it doesn't even have a GUI or anything) would be only a admirer, someone who has studied all of VMS-sama's teachings. Kinda like Linux-chan to Unix-sama, on a much smaller scale ;)

OZONE-chan (again, I'm seeing a younger character XD) is a little more difficult...cause her single creator seems to want her to take after VMS, NT AND Unix-sama, which is like trying to make one person believe in ideologies of polar opposites, at once o_o  

QuoteHOLY MOTHER LUVER!!!! @o@
Well,... now I know where the Windows-tans get their Soap Opera family lifestyle from.... ^___^'

This is the character I'm really unsure of heritage-wise...even though it shows VAXELN as being an offshoot of VMS (and most likely a daughter), I'd really hate for her to be VMS-sama's child (bear with me on this one).

For an OS that was so popular (at least by DEC standards), they never had any successor or offshoot of VMS (not counting VAXELN). I'd almost like to think she never would, or could, have any daughter (which, besides alluding to my former point, could add some drama to the NT-san situation, IE, the only daughter she ever had was raised pure M$ and Windows).

Therefore, the closest I'd like them to be is sisters, at most...but VAXELN sounds like she might be a pretty pathetic character as she kinda showed up late at DEC (96/97), while they were on their way out : |

By then VMS-san had other fish to fry, and probably wasn't hanging with her family much anymore. And the only relative she had, RSX-sama, was getting pretty old herself (but non the less wiser!)

QuoteAh yes, and she does that a lot. ^___^
Don't bother complaining to the mother, since she's worse. ^.^'

XD

C-Chan

Sorry guys,... far as I can go....

Wait for me,... the piggy shall return to spread, joy, happiness, words of wisdom and pork products!  ^.^

*trots off*

C-Chan

QuoteXD Yeah, I agree with you there. Some of the unixes have some weird mascots.. Though I just remembered the Living Help button from Homeko's setup program, and the Wizard from ME. (I think it was ME)

*shudders*  Yeeeeeeeeeeah,... in that case, I rather just have Baby PyramidHead around.  ^.^;

QuoteBwahahah!
Yes, Headcrab-chan is one of my favorites too. You just gotta love a headcrab with a little bow.

Just something I noticed, FreeBSD-tan's eaten everything on that list at least once (well, except for the Calamity chans and Styx)

Fufufu....
She hasn't eaten Calamity-chans and Styx-san?  `v'

*chuckles*

Well let's just put it this way.  That title could easily be rewritten as "Snack Menu".  ^___^

Nah but seriously, she mostly feasts on Head Crabs, but uses her.... "fame".... to cow every living thing below knee-level into submission.  Occasionally she makes an example of one of them, but that's about all.  ^.^

QuoteC'mon, 70s power-rock song? Annoying? Ring a bell...?

Bah, it fits her perfectly

Hmmm,....  70's.... power.... rock.... song.... annoying....

Gee, that kinda like.... describes all the music of the era, doesn't it?  ^__^;

I mean,... I suppose I can recall bands like The Carpenters or the Supremes, but generally the C-chan's brain is not properly configured to retain names of pop culture icons.  A particular annoyance to my acquaintances who can name every single Hollywood actor and actress, only to see that well-woven tapestry of words squeeze in one ear and out the other.  ^v^;
(Geena Davis, Uma Thurman, and Sigoruney Weaver are about the extent of my actress knowledge base).

QuoteLOL!!!

Great idea XD!

Would be better if I could draw it.  
[imitates oldtimer] Alas, the C-chan is getting too old to keep up with you young'uns,...  -v-

QuoteWell, I think a "blood" descendant is usually a character that either has code transfer, close internal similarities, or a common architect and or team. I guess NT only has the latter two, but given the circumstances I think it works quite well as VMS-sama being the mother of NT-sama.

First two are negotiable, though.  It's just a matter of getting M$ to give us a small peak at the NT source code.  ^.^
Wonder how hard it is to get a job in the Upper Echelons of the Chinese government.  ^___^'

QuoteI think, FreeVMS-chan (some reason I'm seeing her as-GASP-a young girl, for FreeVMS seems very barebones a system, IE, it doesn't even have a GUI or anything) would be only a admirer, someone who has studied all of VMS-sama's teachings. Kinda like Linux-chan to Unix-sama, on a much smaller scale

Now now, I think by now it's no longer surprising that you're drawing childtype characters.  ^__^
You did draw Apple ][=chan, Lisa-chan and Win2.0-chan as girls, and AROS-chan/Puppy-chan do count as some as well.

QuoteOZONE-chan (again, I'm seeing a younger character XD) is a little more difficult...cause her single creator seems to want her to take after VMS, NT AND Unix-sama, which is like trying to make one person believe in ideologies of polar opposites, at once

Bipolar then..... ¯v¯
*sips tea*

QuoteTherefore, the closest I'd like them to be is sisters, at most...but VAXELN sounds like she might be a pretty pathetic character as she kinda showed up late at DEC (96/97), while they were on their way out : |

By then VMS-san had other fish to fry, and probably wasn't hanging with her family much anymore. And the only relative she had, RSX-sama, was getting pretty old herself (but non the less wiser!)

Fufufu,... well, I mean it's not like the world suffers from a shortage of pathetic siblings after all.  ^^;
I too would probably vouch for making VAXELN a younger and more foolish sister of sorts.  A member of that mercilessly disenfranchised gap between the so-called "Generation X" and "Generation Y", the teens of which are lazy, ambitionless and woefully disinterested in tradition.  I suppose between a shady older sister slipping further and further into madness, and a company whose rich history is slipping more and more into obscurity, shoulder shrugging just seems like a natural defence against a seemingly hopeless future.  ^^;

Perhaps if she knew she was an aunt, maybe she'd clean up her act.  '__'

Bella

Quote*chuckles*

Well let's just put it this way. That title could easily be rewritten as "Snack Menu". ^___^

*like ordering at fast-food restaurant*

"Erm, yeah, I want the McHead Crab-sandwich, with a small side of TuxPrinnies, extra lava, and a Daemon for dessert..."

QuoteI mean,... I suppose I can recall bands like The Carpenters or the Supremes, but generally the C-chan's brain is not properly configured to retain names of pop culture icons. A particular annoyance to my acquaintances who can name every single Hollywood actor and actress, only to see that well-woven tapestry of words squeeze in one ear and out the other. ^v^;
(Geena Davis, Uma Thurman, and Sigoruney Weaver are about the extent of my actress knowledge base).

I listen to waaaaay to much 70s/80s music XD Not that it's my favorite genre, or anything O__o

(I usually listen to that while driving, but at home I promise my tastes are better :P)

QuoteFirst two are negotiable, though. It's just a matter of getting M$ to give us a small peak at the NT source code. ^.^
Wonder how hard it is to get a job in the Upper Echelons of the Chinese government. ^___^'

LOL...oh, that's right, the hidden source code ;)

*though, you'd think HP could sue M$ if they ever found evidence of VMS code...*

QuoteNow now, I think by now it's no longer surprising that you're drawing childtype characters. ^__^
You did draw Apple ][=chan, Lisa-chan and Win2.0-chan as girls, and AROS-chan/Puppy-chan do count as some as well.

That's true...though, these were already existing designs...

As for FreeVMS-chan, I see her as being around 10/12 years old, having maybe black (or dark blue) hair, dark eyes and thick glasses. And little pigtails. XD

QuoteBipolar then..... ¯v¯
*sips tea*

I really have no concepts for her, though.

QuoteAlthough, maybe she should be prone to giant mood and personality swings XD

Fufufu,... well, I mean it's not like the world suffers from a shortage of pathetic siblings after all. ^^;
I too would probably vouch for making VAXELN a younger and more foolish sister of sorts. A member of that mercilessly disenfranchised gap between the so-called "Generation X" and "Generation Y", the teens of which are lazy, ambitionless and woefully disinterested in tradition. I suppose between a shady older sister slipping further and further into madness, and a company whose rich history is slipping more and more into obscurity, shoulder shrugging just seems like a natural defence against a seemingly hopeless future. ^^;

Perhaps if she knew she was an aunt, maybe she'd clean up her act. '__'

:..(

I kinda see her as (and this is probably a bad metaphor) a latecomer to a party...like, "gees, where's everyone going?"

Good-intentioned and naive, I guess : |

Although, if you want to read a sorta encouraging article, check this out:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202801794

OpenVMS...Great OS, or the greatest OS?

C-Chan

Quote:..(

I kinda see her as (and this is probably a bad metaphor) a latecomer to a party...like, "gees, where's everyone going?"

Ah sou sou, you meant THAT kind of pathetic.  ^^
Bad Bella-san, misleading me like that... no treats for you.... ^.^

Course, was hoping for a troubled OS-tan character, since,... if you think about it,... they're kinda rare.  We make them all too nice.  ^__^'

VMS-sama is "uncrackable", it says?  Wow, that's interesting.  Does lead credence to the premise that,... while incredibly outnumbered,... VMS-sama is something of a legendary warrior that can easily defend against even an army of aggressors.  ^.^

I'll probably read that more calmly later, but for now I think I'll wrap up for the day.  -v-

Added after 11 hours 33 minutes:

Quote*like ordering at fast-food restaurant*

"Erm, yeah, I want the McHead Crab-sandwich, with a small side of TuxPrinnies, extra lava, and a Daemon for dessert..."

Don't forget to hold the bacon.  ^___^;

*inches away nervously from ensuing carnage*

QuoteI listen to waaaaay to much 70s/80s music XD Not that it's my favorite genre, or anything O__o

(I usually listen to that while driving, but at home I promise my tastes are better :P)

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't listened to anything in English for quite some time.  I'm amazed I'm not fluent in Japanese and Russian (Origa ROCKS!) by now....  ^^;

Anyway, just joking though,... I do like 70's and 80's music, and perhaps the reason I like JPOP is because it reminds me of when music was actually fun music.  ^___^

I am considering trying out more Indie stuff, since it's that kind of music that's leading the way towards free and non-RIAA distributions -- the less money those bastardly music companies receive, the better it will be for everyone.  T__T

QuoteLOL...oh, that's right, the hidden source code

*though, you'd think HP could sue M$ if they ever found evidence of VMS code...*

Apple did for Video for Windows (remember that one... ^.^').
Anyone willing to fight against a company whose assets number in the tens of BILLIONS of US dollars certainly has a lot to pick and choose,... if they have the guts for it.  ^___^

QuoteThat's true...though, these were already existing designs...

As for FreeVMS-chan, I see her as being around 10/12 years old, having maybe black (or dark blue) hair, dark eyes and thick glasses. And little pigtails. XD

GWAHAH!!!  ^V^

*hugs Bella*

Congratulations!!  You're now officially a Family Artist.  ^___^
Whereas once you were a Fuddruckers or Hard Rock Cafe, now you've transcended into the realm of Denny's and Big Boys.  ^__^

(hopefully I'm picking restaurants near where you live,... I would hate to mix up Vermont with Michigan where I was at recently.  ;___;)

QuoteI really have no concepts for her, though.

How about reusing that "troubled youth" concept on OZONE-tan?  ^__^
Not by choice,... just all that confusion would mess with anyone's mind.  ^.^;

Quote:..(

Now that I look at this again with fresh eyes, I'm worried I hit a raw spot.  ;__;
Gomen gomen, if I did...  ;^~^;

Bella

QuoteVMS-sama is "uncrackable", it says? Wow, that's interesting. Does lead credence to the premise that,... while incredibly outnumbered,... VMS-sama is something of a legendary warrior that can easily defend against even an army of aggressors. ^.^

I know O___O I always thought she was a bit of a nobody, but now I think she actually has a legitimate claim when she says she's better than those Unixes (not that I agree with her, mind you ;) )

*Bows down to VMS-sama* "Oh, mine VMS-sama, thou may be lesser of power than thine Goddess Unix-sama, yet thou haveth a power not of magic nor sourcery but of unstoppable will!"

Anyhow.....

The article even attributes some of NT's (not as screwy as previous Windows) security to VMS...!!!

A bit of an exaggeration, I think, but even if NT does carry one iota of VMS's security...

QuoteI'm amazed I'm not fluent in Japanese and Russian (Origa ROCKS!) by now.... ^^;

Ooooh, I've heard some of Origa's music...she is great :)

QuoteApple did for Video for Windows (remember that one... ^.^').
Anyone willing to fight against a company whose assets number in the tens of BILLIONS of US dollars certainly has a lot to pick and choose,... if they have the guts for it. ^___^

I have to read about that ;)

QuoteWhereas once you were a Fuddruckers or Hard Rock Cafe, now you've transcended into the realm of Denny's and Big Boys. ^__^

(hopefully I'm picking restaurants near where you live,... I would hate to mix up Vermont with Michigan where I was at recently. ;___;)

Oh, trust me, my days of waiting at the Hard Rock Cafe are far from over...

but...

Wait...did you just mix up Vermont with my native NH?

*shudders*

QuoteHow about reusing that "troubled youth" concept on OZONE-tan? ^__^
Not by choice,... just all that confusion would mess with anyone's mind. ^.^;

...maybe XD

QuoteNow that I look at this again with fresh eyes, I'm worried I hit a raw spot. ;__;
Gomen gomen, if I did... ;^~^;

Yes, I've been quite sad about the fate of DEC ever since I learned of it last summer ;)

J/K

C-Chan

QuoteI know O___O I always thought she was a bit of a nobody, but now I think she actually has a legitimate claim when she says she's better than those Unixes (not that I agree with her, mind you  )

Well yeah, we have to understand that even when Unix was born, she was considered an inferior product to Multics and all the other "big girls" of the trade.  A lot of stuff that came after improved upon the original model, not the least of which is Linux, Plan 9, z/OS, the newer era Unices, and of course VMS.  ^__^

However,... preinstallation and prepackaging conspiracies by M$ aside, it's not hard to see why a technically inferior product is the OS of choice for over 3/4 of the market.  People will always flock to the best combination of software support, hardware support, familiarity, price,... and just plain ol' popularity.  Not sure if the Alpha machines carrying VMS were any cheaper or pricier than the Unix equivalents of old, but for sure UNIX-sama p4wned her in all the other categories.  

It's all about the marketing bab-eh!  And damn shame that OpenVMS is not as well marketed as it should be,....

The moment they do like QNX and do away with silly hobbyist licensing schemes, I think a seriously contender to Linux and [the "new"] Solaris could emerge.  Seeing Linux-sama and VMS-sama face-off, both with supercharged weapons and Compiz Fusion armor, would put a whole new spin on "Blast from the Past".  ^____^

QuoteA bit of an exaggeration, I think, but even if NT does carry one iota of VMS's security...

After reading the article about Windows 7, I'm starting to suspect this so-called "WinMin" kernel is really just a VERY early build of the NT kernel when it still had undisguised elements of OpenVMS.  In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to salvage their OS sales using near-20 year old technology disguised as something new and hip.  

Then again, I wouldn't be so sure,... M$ technicians have demonstrated a HUGE lack of creativity in recent years.  ^^;

QuoteOoooh, I've heard some of Origa's music...she is great

Inner Universe hooked me first, then I found some CD's via Amazon.  The rest is history.  ^__^

QuoteWait...did you just mix up Vermont with my native NH?

*shudders*

*looks away and sweatdrops*  Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.......................................... no.  Â¬Â¬;

*shuffles away slowly*

QuoteYes, I've been quite sad about the fate of DEC ever since I learned of it last summer

Now now,... all good things have to come to an end.  ^__^
Besides, you're helping to keep their memory alive, so it's not all bad.  ^v^

Though we're still a relatively small community, I'm still hoping we can build some degree of awareness about all these systems that few people have even heard of, or don't realize that they power their banks, schools, servers, mainframes, cell phones, etc.... ^.^

Bella

QuoteWell yeah, we have to understand that even when Unix was born, she was considered an inferior product to Multics and all the other "big girls" of the trade. A lot of stuff that came after improved upon the original model, not the least of which is Linux, Plan 9, z/OS, the newer era Unices, and of course VMS. ^__^

Yeah.

Recently I was reading the Unix-Haters' Handbook (for a lark mostly XD)...

I didn't read the whole thing in it's entirety, but it does seem as if the author mostly focused on the original, 1969 Bell Labs version, comparing it to just about every OS that came after it.

Seems kind of unfair, because, like you said, a lot of OSs came afterward that improved on it...

QuoteThe moment they do like QNX and do away with silly hobbyist licensing schemes, I think a seriously contender to Linux and [the "new"] Solaris could emerge. Seeing Linux-sama and VMS-sama face-off, both with supercharged weapons and Compiz Fusion armor, would put a whole new spin on "Blast from the Past". ^____^

*thinks of my epic-ish VMS v. Linux-sama pic*

QuoteAfter reading the article about Windows 7, I'm starting to suspect this so-called "WinMin" kernel is really just a VERY early build of the NT kernel when it still had undisguised elements of OpenVMS. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to salvage their OS sales using near-20 year old technology disguised as something new and hip.

Then again, I wouldn't be so sure,... M$ technicians have demonstrated a HUGE lack of creativity in recent years. ^^;

Oi. It piqued my interest for a moment when I read about that in Wikipedia. I dunno if I think that's a good idea, or bad...

Like I've said before, the Windows ship has sailed, for me. I don't care if they rip off Linux and slap a new name on it, I ain't going back to Windows, that is to say, if I stop using XP : |

Quote*looks away and sweatdrops* Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.......................................... no. ¬¬;

*shuffles away slowly*

*dramatically*

Oh! If only you knew the epic rivalry between our two states! It hath cost many a man his pride, many a derogatory stereotypical joke has been flung...  

QuoteNow now,... all good things have to come to an end. ^__^
Besides, you're helping to keep their memory alive, so it's not all bad. ^v^

Though we're still a relatively small community, I'm still hoping we can build some degree of awareness about all these systems that few people have even heard of, or don't realize that they power their banks, schools, servers, mainframes, cell phones, etc.... ^.^

*Continues drama*

Why, the good companies die youn....of wait, it was like 40 years...

;018

C-Chan

QuoteYeah.

Recently I was reading the Unix-Haters' Handbook (for a lark mostly XD)...

I didn't read the whole thing in it's entirety, but it does seem as if the author mostly focused on the original, 1969 Bell Labs version, comparing it to just about every OS that came after it.

Seems kind of unfair, because, like you said, a lot of OSs came afterward that improved on it...

If that's the case, then yeah, what a #@$%*#&#!  >_<
Actually came across a similar situation recently, where a reviewer was trying to compare PCLinuxOS 2007 with Mandriva 2008.  Considering how fast the Linux world moves, comparing a fresh-off-the-press, Compiz Fusion-enabled distribution with an un-updated 6-month old one is hardly what we'd call fair.  ^^;

Plus he might not have realized that PCLinuxOS is BASED on Mandriva, so whatever 2008 sports now, PCLOS-sama will sport soon enough.  Hell! have I told you yet how much fun Compiz Fusion is?  ^.^

QuoteOi. It piqued my interest for a moment when I read about that in Wikipedia. I dunno if I think that's a good idea, or bad...

Like I've said before, the Windows ship has sailed, for me. I don't care if they rip off Linux and slap a new name on it, I ain't going back to Windows, that is to say, if I stop using XP : |

[sarcastically] Awwwww,... so that means you're not gonna buy M$vell SUSE Linux then.  ^____^;

Anyway, just recently I heard a very nasty rumor that XP may be pulled off the market early next year.  Seems a bit.... "suicidal"... on M$ part, so I doubt the validity of this.  

Still, I'd keep my ear out for any such word from official sources. M$ certainly has the power, money and gaul to try a "shock and awe" approach to forced Vista converison.  ^^;

Quote*dramatically*

Oh! If only you knew the epic rivalry between our two states! It hath cost many a man his pride, many a derogatory stereotypical joke has been flung...

...........................But you guys both look the same.  T___T;
I mean seriously,... it's like Vermont is just a New Hampshire that did a 180 flip and gave itself a "Frenchier" name.  ^^;

Added after 5 hours 5 minutes:

ZOM-#$#%@#@-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MULTICS-SAMA LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  @V@

http://www.kirps.com/web/main/_blog/all/mit-releases-the-sources-of-multics-the-father-of-unix.shtml

Bella

QuoteIf that's the case, then yeah, what a #@$%*#&#! >_<

Have you ever read it? It makes a few fairly good points, so long as one takes it with a grain of salt ;)

(I personally liked the part where he compared Unix to a human-engineered virus...and a car with no gauges...)

QuoteActually came across a similar situation recently, where a reviewer was trying to compare PCLinuxOS 2007 with Mandriva 2008. Considering how fast the Linux world moves, comparing a fresh-off-the-press, Compiz Fusion-enabled distribution with an un-updated 6-month old one is hardly what we'd call fair. ^^;

Plus he might not have realized that PCLinuxOS is BASED on Mandriva, so whatever 2008 sports now, PCLOS-sama will sport soon enough. Hell! have I told you yet how much fun Compiz Fusion is? ^.^

Hmmm...But there will always be somebody who tries to advocate their favorite OS by demeaning another one...

I've seen those screenshots you posted of Compiz Fusion! It looks incredible!

Lately I've kinda been on my whole less is more kick, however, so I probably won't venture to try it out until it comes to a distro I'm really interested in, like Ubuntu or something....(I wonder why Beryl never came with any of the Ubuntus....)

QuoteAnyway, just recently I heard a very nasty rumor that XP may be pulled off the market early next year. Seems a bit.... "suicidal"... on M$ part, so I doubt the validity of this.

Still, I'd keep my ear out for any such word from official sources. M$ certainly has the power, money and gaul to try a "shock and awe" approach to forced Vista converison. ^^;

Geez. Like I always say, I wouldn't put anything past them : |

Speaking of which, have you seen the new Mac commercial yet? Where PC guy is talking up Vista and then at the end he leans over to Mac guy and says something along the lines of, "do I really like Vista? No, I went back to XP weeks ago...so happy!"

And I was like, NO #^@&*#$ WAY! Finally, a Mac commercial that I can love!

Makes me wanna start a club, Mac Evangelists, Windows XP Zealots and Linux Fans Against Windows Vista (aka the MEWXPZLFAWV)

Quote...........................But you guys both look the same. T___T;
I mean seriously,... it's like Vermont is just a New Hampshire that did a 180 flip and gave itself a "Frenchier" name. ^^;

Yes, that's the way the untrained observer sees it ;)

I guess the differences are because there isn't a lot of tourism between the two states (even though we both have large tourism industries), we seem to attract a lot people from Mass. (mainly), RI, Conn., and NJ, so our state is somewhat more urban. That said, there's still a lot of very rural, mountainous areas...but VT is mostly rolling farmland...

QuoteZOM-#$#%@#@-G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MULTICS-SAMA LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @V@

http://www.kirps.com/web/main/_blog/all/mit-releases-the-sources-of-multics-the-father-of-unix.shtml

O________O

*Hears Beethoven's Fifth Symphony in background*

(^ that is that really powerful song they use in the movies and stuff whenever all hell breaks loose, right ;) )

*real dramatically, looking up at the sky*

"Damn yoooooouuuu Plan 9-taaaaaaaaaannn!"

Siya

Quote from: "Bella"Makes me wanna start a club, Mac Evangelists, Windows XP Zealots and Linux Fans Against Windows Vista (aka the MEWXPZLFAWV)
The former Dischordian pope in me really wants there to be a club called MEWXPZLFAWV.  The rest of me is quite amused by the idea, as well!

C-Chan

QuoteHave you ever read it? It makes a few fairly good points, so long as one takes it with a grain of salt

(I personally liked the part where he compared Unix to a human-engineered virus...and a car with no gauges...)

I'm sure at one point I might have come across it,... otherwise, it would have never occurred to me that UNIX was perceived rather poorly when it was first developed.  Then again, it's not like there isn't ALWAYS a critic... for example, although you may like my work, it's not like I don't have an army of cretins wishing that I just rolled over and died.  (that being said, don't mind if I act particularly rude to anyone,... what happens in PMs can't always stay in PMs you know.... -.-)

QuoteI've seen those screenshots you posted of Compiz Fusion! It looks incredible!

Fufu... all modesty aside, it is. ^__^
Course, that doesn't mean I'm going to throw dirt at Beryl, because technically speaking Compiz Fusion IS "Beryl 1.0" (they just agreed to keep the "Compiz" name, since it did come first).  ^___^
All the stability of Compiz plus the killer plugins of Beryl make for a tasty blend of pure Win in the morning.  ^.^

QuoteLately I've kinda been on my whole less is more kick, however, so I probably won't venture to try it out until it comes to a distro I'm really interested in, like Ubuntu or something....(I wonder why Beryl never came with any of the Ubuntus....)

Oh definitely, don't mind me.  Eye candy can only do so much -- I'd rather you get better acquainted with FOSS programs instead, as that will help you down the road a lot more.  Thanks to my 3ePC-chan, for example, I finally have a way to sit down on my spare time and learn The GIMP (still like Krita, though...) and OpenOffice (I've used it a lot, but not "u-s-e-d" it, if you know what I'm getting at).  ^__^

There was great demand in the *Buntu commuity to get 7.04 hooked up with Beryl.  However, at the time it was far too unstable to include it built-in (and believe me, just cause I provided pretty pics of Xubuntu+Beryl didn't mean all was always honkie-dorie in Desktop World).  ^^;

On the other hand,... Compiz Fusion is a different story.

It is fast and stable enough to be usable as a preinstallation option, so............

These past October releases have seen a huge SPIKE in adoption of Compiz Fusion by the major Linux distros.

Mandriva and SUSE for one, but also.... yep, Ubuntu 7.10.  ^___^

I even got to try it once,... sadly, it was on a laptop with crappy specs, so it behaved rather "funky".  ^^;

QuoteSpeaking of which, have you seen the new Mac commercial yet? Where PC guy is talking up Vista and then at the end he leans over to Mac guy and says something along the lines of, "do I really like Vista? No, I went back to XP weeks ago...so happy!"

And I was like, NO #^@&*#$ WAY! Finally, a Mac commercial that I can love!

Makes me wanna start a club, Mac Evangelists, Windows XP Zealots and Linux Fans Against Windows Vista (aka the MEWXPZLFAWV)

*puts up no television sign above head, complete with ":(" face*

On the other hand, I did hear about them,... maybe I'll check them out on YouTube later.  ^^

In any event, the MEWXPZLFAWV Club sounds like you desperately need to enable Sticky Keys, but the concept is cute.  ^__^
At least the fact that we all mutually abhor Vista does make us,... partners....  ^.^

Watch out for the BSD Brigade, as they'll demand representation too. ^__^

QuoteYes, that's the way the untrained observer sees it

I guess the differences are because there isn't a lot of tourism between the two states (even though we both have large tourism industries), we seem to attract a lot people from Mass. (mainly), RI, Conn., and NJ, so our state is somewhat more urban. That said, there's still a lot of very rural, mountainous areas...but VT is mostly rolling farmland...

You have to admire an upstanding, educated citizen that takes the time to learn about her state.  ^.^

QuoteO________O

*Hears Beethoven's Fifth Symphony in background*

(^ that is that really powerful song they use in the movies and stuff whenever all hell breaks loose, right )

Ahhh,... Beethoven's Fifth.... ^__^

If you're referring to "pampampampaaaaaaaaam pampampampuuuuuuuuum..." then probably.  But the news of MULTICS' revival strikes me as a 9th Sympthony, 4th movement!  ^____^

Or....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyyNxrj8z4E
[note, if you haven't watched this series, stop watching by the time you get to the boombox.... ^^']

Quote*real dramatically, looking up at the sky*

"Damn yoooooouuuu Plan 9-taaaaaaaaaannn!"

*C-chan imitates William Shatner*

*shakes*

*rattles*

*rolls*

999999999999999999999999999999999999!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^0^

*takes in deeper breath*

999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;^0^;

QuoteThe former Dischordian pope in me really wants there to be a club called MEWXPZLFAWV. The rest of me is quite amused by the idea, as well!

There you go!  We have a follower.  ^___^

I suppose it'd be a cute idea, although the resistance is tiny yet powerful. -v-

Then again, a nice logo featuring Mac-san, Linux-sama, and XP-san holding up a "No Vista" placcard is bound to gain some converts.  ^__^

Bella

QuoteThe former Dischordian pope in me really wants there to be a club called MEWXPZLFAWV. The rest of me is quite amused by the idea, as well!

'Kay then, you our second member :P

QuoteI'm sure at one point I might have come across it,... otherwise, it would have never occurred to me that UNIX was perceived rather poorly when it was first developed. Then again, it's not like there isn't ALWAYS a critic... for example, although you may like my work, it's not like I don't have an army of cretins wishing that I just rolled over and died. (that being said, don't mind if I act particularly rude to anyone,... what happens in PMs can't always stay in PMs you know.... -.-)

You've got a point : |

Personally, I don't really care what anyone thinks of me/my work. Good if they like it, they can get lost if they don't ;)

QuoteThere was great demand in the *Buntu commuity to get 7.04 hooked up with Beryl. However, at the time it was far too unstable to include it built-in (and believe me, just cause I provided pretty pics of Xubuntu+Beryl didn't mean all was always honkie-dorie in Desktop World). ^^;

And what was up with the desktop effects feature? I remember stumbling across it, it sounded like a stripped-down version of Beryl or something.

There was a warning not to enable it as it could cause instability...I enabled it anyhow, but nothing ever happened...

QuoteOn the other hand, I did hear about them,... maybe I'll check them out on YouTube later. ^^

In any event, the MEWXPZLFAWV Club sounds like you desperately need to enable Sticky Keys, but the concept is cute. ^__^
At least the fact that we all mutually abhor Vista does make us,... partners.... ^.^

Watch out for the BSD Brigade, as they'll demand representation too. ^__^

You gotta give it a look :D

So, I'm guessing your member three of the MEWXPZLFAWV Club? And for the record, that's pronounced "Mewzipzlefawve" club XD

QuoteAhhh,... Beethoven's Fifth.... ^__^

If you're referring to "pampampampaaaaaaaaam pampampampuuuuuuuuum..." then probably. But the news of MULTICS' revival strikes me as a 9th Sympthony, 4th movement! ^____^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyyNxrj8z4E
[note, if you haven't watched this series, stop watching by the time you get to the boombox.... ^^']

^....Thanks for the spoiler alert...? ;)

*frightening orchestra music still playing in background*

No, I believe those are much too cheery! Or perhaps I am just thinking of Unix-sama's reaction to hearing this news O____O

(I guess hell breaking loose was the first image that came to mind hehee)

But knowing the *Nix-tans, I'm sure they goaded SCO-tan into telling Unix-sama or something :P I think nobody would want to be the bearer of the news that her biological mother, whom she put of of work, nearly killed, and destroyed the life of on a basis of being intentionally worse than, and who she secretly admires and loves even though she's the complete opposite of has just been brought back from what was a sure death!

*Passes out*

That said, I have a few predictions about the aftermath of Multics sudden return from the grave...

*dons psychic head-scarf and grabs crystal ball*

Yeah, I'm a seer too. Betcha didn't know that ;)

The Multicians will become 60% more insufferable now that they can say Multics still lives. A Multics mobile computer will even be built, and it will be able of fit in the back of an 18 wheeler!

There will soon be a series of "Get A Multics" TV ads, featuring a handsome, well-muscled man, next to a short, sour sociopath with a high-pitch voice, trying to convince us why Multics a much better OS than Unix when we want to run an OS that's older than half our known relatives,

and,

Now that Multics is open-source, in Sweden, a programmer by the name of Titus Lorvalds will develop an OS kernel by the name of Lultucs.  It will feature a fat puffin bird as it's logo, and will be readily adopted by computer enthusiasts the world over, the most popular form being a north-African version of it. Several years and countless epic Slashdot flamewars later, K-Mart will announce a line of low-price computers running Lultucs.

In other news, the fabric of the known universe will cease to exist.

O___________o

Just kidding!!!!

C-Chan

QuoteAnd what was up with the desktop effects feature? I remember stumbling across it, it sounded like a stripped-down version of Beryl or something.

There was a warning not to enable it as it could cause instability...I enabled it anyhow, but nothing ever happened...

If memory serves, those Desktop Effects are just your usual, run-of-the-mill, cheap desktop eyecandy like shadows and transparency effects and such.  KDE4 plans to incorporate some really nice ones (so that people that can't run Beryl can at least savor some imitation 3D), but certainly the current KDE and Gnome don't have anything that will match a 3D desktop.  At most, they end up looking like XP with its own fancy desktop eyecandy enabled.

QuoteYou gotta give it a look

So, I'm guessing your member three of the MEWXPZLFAWV Club? And for the record, that's pronounced "Mewzipzlefawve" club XD

So like,... can we fit in BSDers in there somehow?  If I could promote FreeB-chan through inclusion in this hypothetical logo, then for SURE I'd make it so!  ^v^

I won't even imagine what the final acronym would look like, though.  O__O

QuoteNo, I believe those are much too cheery! Or perhaps I am just thinking of Unix-sama's reaction to hearing this news O____O
(I guess hell breaking loose was the first image that came to mind hehee)

I figured you might've.  I for one am bathing in champagne from the news (and so is every Multician out there, I bet).  ^___^

Anyway, back to the subject at hand,... if you want an excellent, tragic, dark, haunting song for UNIX-sama's reaction, might I recommend Mozart's Requiem Mass?  Actual story is much more interesting, but even if you've only seen the movie "Amadeus", you'll see how well the circumstances fit like a glove here.  ^___^

QuoteBut knowing the *Nix-tans, I'm sure they goaded SCO-tan into telling Unix-sama or something :P

Funny,... I was thinking the same thing, except with an intentionally-fixed game of Draw Straws.  Since SCO-chan has degenerated into a raving lunatic of sorts, she becomes the butt end of a lot of mischief.  ^^;

Now all we need is for Xenix to be miraculously open-sourced as well, so SHE can return from the grave and "reeducate" her wayward brat.  ^.^

QuoteI think nobody would want to be the bearer of the news that her biological mother, whom she put of of work, nearly killed, and destroyed the life of on a basis of being intentionally worse than, and who she secretly admires and loves even though she's the complete opposite of has just been brought back from what was a sure death!

Don't forget one thing, though,...  None of her children know this (or at least admit to doing so), so them reporting this is no different from reporting the usual daily enemy incursion.  in fact, it'd probably be even more hilarious if SCO-chan,... expecting the usual swearing and thrown chairs with the news that daughter Plan 9-tan was raising the dead again... ended up being trapped in the same room with a mentally unstable UNIX-sama (oh yeah, you can bet that's hell).  ^___^;

Quote*dons psychic head-scarf and grabs crystal ball*

Yeah, I'm a seer too. Betcha didn't know that

I call Shenanigans!  You've been to the future with Leopard-sama, so I know you're cheating!  ^__^
Now give me back ma fish bowl!  ^0^

QuoteThe Multicians will become 60% more insufferable now that they can say Multics still lives. A Multics mobile computer will even be built, and it will be able of fit in the back of an 18 wheeler!

Well the Multicians did mention on their website that Multics COULD be reengineered for modern application.  A lot of that could be fanboy/girl talk of course, but one can never underestimate the power of rabid fanboys and fangirls.  ^__^

QuoteThere will soon be a series of "Get A Multics" TV ads, featuring a handsome, well-muscled man, next to a short, sour sociopath with a high-pitch voice, trying to convince us why Multics a much better OS than Unix when we want to run an OS that's older than half our known relatives,

*puts two and two together*

Hmmm,... sounds suspiciously like one of those IBM commercials that did WONDERS for OS/2.....  `v'

QuoteNow that Multics is open-source, in Sweden, a programmer by the name of Titus Lorvalds will develop an OS kernel by the name of Lultucs. It will feature a fat puffin bird as it's logo, and will be readily adopted by computer enthusiasts the world over, the most popular form being a north-African version of it. Several years and countless epic Slashdot flamewars later, K-Mart will announce a line of low-price computers running Lultucs.

So will there also be a company called ZCO claiming to own the copyrights to the original Multics, and will act as a mercenary to Microvell in order to spread baseless FUD about Lultucs usage?  Ahhhh,... how history doth repeat itself.  ^____^

QuoteIn other news, the fabric of the known universe will cease to exist.

I knew it!!  You destroyed an alternate timeline while you were out with Leopard-sama, didn't you?  DIDN'T YOU?!!  `0'

*sighs and shakes head*  Ahhhh Bella Bella Bella,... WHAT am I gonna DO with YOU?  ^.^

In any event, speaking of raising the dead, here's a little revival of Multics-sama's great great great great great great great grandmother:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7094881.stm