OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

QuoteWould it be....this?

Almost... I think that's definitely the Doom3 variant.  Here's the classic one -- pixelated to death, but note the beige.... crinkly part.  ^___^

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Plasma_rifle

And don't mind any of my TV fangirlism. I come from a family with both a Star Wars fanboy and a Star Trek/Babylon 5/Stargate/Lost fanboy, so I pale in comparison XD

Ohhh... if not for the last three movies, I might've joined along with the first fanboy group.  And maybe even the second some 15 years ago.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh... the nostalgia is flowing.  ^^

QuoteWTF? Now I'M confused

You know,... that common Japanese gag were people who are not funny get hit by a giant pan that comes from nowhere.

Gah!  Now it ain't funny anymore.  X.X

*crawls towards a corner, rolls into a ball and mopes*

Oh wait,....

*pulls rope*

*gets crushed by giant sauce pan*

Nuker

*stares at giant cookie*
I could get used to this...

By the way, Microsoft showcased Windows 7 (milestone 3) at PDC2008. You can find a lot of info here: http://www.vista123.net/category/vista/windows-7

Seems like Microsoft has managed not to screw up and that the os-tan profile I posted in the 7-tan thread is spot-on. Me happy ^^

(BTW, there's gonna be an open beta very soon.)

NejinOniwa

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Open beta? From M$? The flying!?
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Nuker

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Open beta? From M$? The flying!?

Yeah, sounds downright impossible, but if you want to download it and try it, you can :P

NejinOniwa

Considering how the Betas went with Vista, that seems highly unlikely...

Nuker

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Considering how the Betas went with Vista, that seems highly unlikely...

It's official. The beta is open.

http://www.vista123.net/content/microsoft-slates-windows-7-public-beta-early-2009

NejinOniwa

Unexpected. Well, well, I wonder what'll happen...and how stripped the beta will be from the fancypants stuff.

If the Beta turns out to be a real Beta, with just a few bugs in difference to the complete product, I'll drown myself.

Nuker

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"Unexpected. Well, well, I wonder what'll happen...and how stripped the beta will be from the fancypants stuff.

If the Beta turns out to be a real Beta, with -no- bugs, I'll drown myself.

Fixed. Various people have had the alpha version on their PCs for a while now, and they have experienced no major bug/crash whatsoever. And we're talking about an alpha version. I have an hard time believing it myself, but we're talking about professional technology writers and experts.
This is so absurd that I get the feeling the end of the world is near...

As for your question... it seems Microsoft wants to streamline the development process: they will have one beta, one release candidate, and that's it, so it's possible the beta will have a lot of the stuff which will be in the final version.

C-Chan

Actually, Longhorn WAS a WILDLY popular Open Beta too.  It's just that the "Open" beta wasn't exactly legal.  ^____^

Kukuku!  Oh happy days of playing with that infernal thing.... -v-

It's not surprising at all that the alpha/beta versions of Vienna (calling the Windows 7 beta by its old codename) are relatively stable.  If you consider that Vienna is at its heart an updated version of Vista with some of its intentionally-annoying features removed (or trimmed down at least), then you could easily make the case that development began 7 years ago, and the whole Vista debacle was literally a fiendishly expensive beta test of the product.

There's no doubt in my mind Windows 7 will be what Vista could have been if it were not crippled -- I remember Longhorn as being a pretty decent system, and certainly the technology displayed in Vienna (such as touchscreen support, network-integrated apps, KDE-style panel bars and ribbon-based apps) existed back in 2006.  And unlike before, Micro$oft is in more of a precarious position in terms of market share loss than its willing to admit, so this time around they might not be able to afford to #$%& around with consumers like they did before.

However, an excellent, unencumbered, stable product is not necessarily in line with the company's bottom line in this particular market sector -- it certainly conflicts with the profit drive of hardware manufacturers, 3rd party software vendors and DRM proponents.  So at least this risk exists that they may cripple the final version somehow.

Still curious about price, availability and versioning.  ;)

Bella

Wow, so Windows 7 beta will be free for the public to try out? A couple of years ago I would have been totally onboard with trying it out, and I admit I still have a shred of curiosity to see what the most stable, usable Windows release will be like...

But then I remember the promise I made myself, that after XP, I will never use a Windows OS again. XP was the first Windows I ever enjoyed using (and still do), and will be the last, regardless of how much M$ may improve their products in the future. I couldn't imagine supporting a company that goes against everything I think is right.

Curse my hardheadedness...^^

Siya

Alright, to properly snuggle myself back into this forum and to spark some more discussion in this thread, I would like to bring up two concepts that have been touched on before.

XINU-tan:
Or "amas-XINU" or even "masa-XINU", if we chose to reverse the kana of sama instead of the romanization.
My thought was to make her a Bizarro UNIX-sama.  I don't mean to trample on Bella-san's awesome concept.  A Native American XINU definitely fits the logo better.  I just wanted to throw out the idea.  However it goes, I wholeheartedly agree to the reverse-speaking quirk.

Oralux-tan:
I have a few concept sketches made.  Hopefully I'll get some posted sometime (if they haven't been lost in my most recent move).  However, I had a thought that her seeing-eye chicken is actually an Oralux-kun....under a similar curse as a very familiar Jusenkyo-doused porcine.  I have concept sketches for him, too.  

Also, I like the direction UUU-chan's backstory is going!  :D

Bella

QuoteAlright, to properly snuggle myself back into this forum and to spark some more discussion in this thread, I would like to bring up two concepts that have been touched on before.

Yay! Siya-san has jump-started the Theories thread! Good to see you back. I would've thought you dropped off the face of the earth if not for the fact you found my DA page.

QuoteXINU-tan:
Or "amas-XINU" or even "masa-XINU", if we chose to reverse the kana of sama instead of the romanization.
My thought was to make her a Bizarro UNIX-sama. I don't mean to trample on Bella-san's awesome concept. A Native American XINU definitely fits the logo better. I just wanted to throw out the idea. However it goes, I wholeheartedly agree to the reverse-speaking quirk.

No problem, I happily welcome any new suggestions for my OS-tan designs. There's nothing I love to hear more than the input of others. ;010

Ironically I was thinking of XINU-tan awhile back, and how to make her more unique...I really like your idea of making her a sort of Bizarro Unix-sama. Light hair, eyes, perfectly approachable and pleasant, even cheerful-- she should probably still be kept a bit on the youngish side, though. And we could always incorporate a few Native American aspects, as well.

This would make for quite a bit of humor between amas-XINU and some of her Unixen relatives. :P

QuoteOralux-tan:
I have a few concept sketches made. Hopefully I'll get some posted sometime (if they haven't been lost in my most recent move). However, I had a thought that her seeing-eye chicken is actually an Oralux-kun....under a similar curse as a very familiar Jusenkyo-doused porcine. I have concept sketches for him, too.

I checked out the Oralux site but I'm still a bit unclear... is it some sort of LiveCD distro geared toward the visually impaired? I suppose Oralux-tan would be blind herself, with a seeing eye chicken as a pet; this sounds like an offbeat and interesting design. I would really like to see the concept sketches of this. ^^

QuoteAlso, I like the direction UUU-chan's backstory is going!

Yeah, for being based on such a little-known and quite dead OS, the character design is really very incredible. I'd like to do a finished drawing of her (it'd be quite easy, with the suit and all).

Siya

QuoteI checked out the Oralux site but I'm still a bit unclear... is it some sort of LiveCD distro geared toward the visually impaired?
Exactly!  Here is a review.  It is ever-so-slightly more informative.  Since Oralux ceased development, the home page is much less helpful.

C-Chan

QuoteHowever, I had a thought that her seeing-eye chicken is actually an Oralux-kun....under a similar curse as a very familiar Jusenkyo-doused porcine. I have concept sketches for him, too.

*cough cough*  Not sure who you might be talking about.... Jusenky-doused pigs... how droll.  *cough cough*  ^.^;

That is a neat concept, btw. ^__^b

BTW, thank you for stopping by Siya-san~!  I was hoping you'd stop by so I could say good-bye, but if things work out well this may not be the last time I see you. -v-

Also, I like the direction UUU-chan's backstory is going!

Another sap lover it seems. ^___^

QuoteIronically I was thinking of XINU-tan awhile back, and how to make her more unique...I really like your idea of making her a sort of Bizarro Unix-sama. Light hair, eyes, perfectly approachable and pleasant, even cheerful-- she should probably still be kept a bit on the youngish side, though. And we could always incorporate a few Native American aspects, as well.

This would make for quite a bit of humor between amas-XINU and some of her Unixen relatives. :P

OMG~!!!!  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!!! @.@

*imagines Unix-sama, amas-XINU, and C-One imitating either of them in the same room*

*brain explodes*  >_______<

As for her looks, we could easily say she looks near-identical to UNIX-sama (except for the lighter hair and eyes), but her clothing is distinctly native American.  A sharp contrast to the dull, minimalist, and often distinctly Westernized dresses that UNIX-sama wears.

Change her dress, add a splash of hair dye, a couple of contacts, and LOTS AND LOTS of acting lessons, and maybe she TOO could be volunteered for some stand-in jobs.  ^___^;

Now if we could get either another doppleganger or a cloner (Virtualbox-tan?), we could have FOUR UNIX-samas in the same room.  I don't think Slack-chan would be able to even TALK cohesively after that experience.  ^__^

Yeah, for being based on such a little-known and quite dead OS, the character design is really very incredible. I'd like to do a finished drawing of her (it'd be quite easy, with the suit and all).

Feel free to let me know if I can help with the shading/lighting.  I have to admit I'm not up to speed anymore doing start-to-finish characters, but I seem to have some small talent left for that kind of post-production.  I managed to finish Plan9-sama's shading work and the User Space Gang back scenery in record time, upsetting my undefeated string of upsets.  ^^'

Bella

QuoteExactly! Here is a review. It is ever-so-slightly more informative. Since Oralux ceased development, the home page is much less helpful.

Thank you, that clears things up a bit more.

Hmmm....Fried Chicken Linux-tan...Oralux-tan....I'm seeing a pattern of chicken-based Linux distros. Are chickens related to penguins by any chance? :P

QuoteOMG~!!!! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!!! @.@

*imagines Unix-sama, amas-XINU, and C-One imitating either of them in the same room*

*brain explodes* >_______<

As for her looks, we could easily say she looks near-identical to UNIX-sama (except for the lighter hair and eyes), but her clothing is distinctly native American. A sharp contrast to the dull, minimalist, and often distinctly Westernized dresses that UNIX-sama wears.

Change her dress, add a splash of hair dye, a couple of contacts, and LOTS AND LOTS of acting lessons, and maybe she TOO could be volunteered for some stand-in jobs. ^___^;

Now if we could get either another doppleganger or a cloner (Virtualbox-tan?), we could have FOUR UNIX-samas in the same room. I don't think Slack-chan would be able to even TALK cohesively after that experience. ^__^

I agree with these suggestions about amas-XINU! Don't know about VirtualBox-tan being another doppleganger (some sort of mediator always did fit the bill a bit more); but Unix-sama always did have a lot of OS-tan "clones", now didn't she? Still wouldn't make it any better on Slackware-chan, though. ^^

*thinks about four Unix-samas in one room*

*passes out*

QuoteFeel free to let me know if I can help with the shading/lighting. I have to admit I'm not up to speed anymore doing start-to-finish characters, but I seem to have some small talent left for that kind of post-production. I managed to finish Plan9-sama's shading work and the User Space Gang back scenery in record time, upsetting my undefeated string of upsets. ^^'

I sure will! A vector sketch would be quite easy, I admit quick shadework is a bit more difficult...