OS-tan theories and disscusion

Started by Bella, September 05, 2007, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

QuoteAlso, my previous OS was not XP-pro :P. Homeko FTW.
At least she's faithful to the windows lineage, unlike her dissident, traitor sister ;_;

Well yeah, I agree...Homeko is too busy tryin' to put the moves on her little bro to care much :P

That said, my Homeko has been strangely okay with letting Ubuntu-sama and PuppyLinux-chan into her home, and is quite interested in befriending open-source software-tans ;)

But, at any rate, I'm getting freaked out by how much Apple is talking up XP. I just wonder if they're trying to get Mac users who want to run Windows with Boot Camp to go with XP and not Vista or something...

Whatever motives, I can see where Leopard-chan would befriend the XPs ^_^

QuoteI don't know. She is pretty cute, but that BSD Devilette... ^__^

QuoteI gotta say, I disagree with you there Bella.
Free Bsd-chan is just TOO cute for me not to call the cutest of them all.

Okay, you got me there. Linux-sama is cute, but FreeBSD-chan is like....Moe to the tenth power with sugar on top XD

QuoteHello everyone!
I just got back from +Nijiura+, nice place at that.
None of the random Flames/ /b/tards / attackers and Sagebombs.
But still all the goodness of the Futaba Imageboards.

Anyway, I just noticed..Leopard-chan is an IDOL there.
Seriously, she's all over the place

Ah, Leopard-tan...

She may be a +Nijura+ idol, but for me there's only one Goddess XD

*grovels before Unix-sama*

Though I do have to say, for Leopard-tan, time-traveling is a big draw :P

QuoteI love the banner C-chan.
And if this is going to be war against the Vista-users, then let it be WAR!

Ahem...Now, my #1 rule of engagement for this matter is to be nice to the users themselves...

What really got me with OS zealots wasn't quite their hatred of the OS itself...
Most of us are guilty in some way of disliking one OS or another, and some of them can really make valid criticism, because I don't believe any OS is as great as a lot of the diehard zealots make it sound. No, I dislike attacks on the users themselves, since it's really their choice what OS they want to use...hell, they can use an abacus if they want to and I won't care.

That said, let us try to keep peaceful.

But you'd love to hear the story of what happened last night while I was waiting out in line for a Black Friday sale event.....I shan't tell it here, maybe over in my own artwork thread or something ;)

QuoteOh, and C-chan.
I FOUND THAT ALTERNATE PUMA-CHAN!
You're right..She is cute..
But for some reason the pic of her won't upload in this topic.
Anyway, she's blonde, pigtails, black and red ear pattern.
Is this her?

Yep, that's her ;)

CaptBrenden

QuoteIt doesn't look like a declaration of war...that logo its a declaration of WAR T_T
Also, my previous OS was not XP-pro :P. Homeko FTW.
At least she's faithful to the windows lineage, unlike her dissident, traitor sister ;_;

*scraps Tiger-tan and OS/2 sketchs*

I guess sisterly love just moved up on the list!
"YOU IDIOT!!" -Kasen Ibara

Commisions Available - Send PM for details.

Bella

QuoteI guess sisterly love just moved up on the list!

C'mon, Darknight, give the Captain that yuri!

NejinOniwa

SUDDENLY, CATGIRLS, EVERYWHERE!!!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Alrighty!  We are go for a launch!  ^v^

There is no shading yet, but not sure if I'll add any.  The flat color compliments the humor better.  
Course, don't forget that this IS still open sauce....

http://ostan-collections.net/downloads.php?view=detail&id=102

...so there's nothing to stop any one of us from revisiting this picture later.  ^^

In any case, I think we have everything we need to deploy the MEWXPZLFUDAWV club.  ^.^

Et tu, Bella-san?  'v'

Your idea, so time for you to found it.  ^__________^
Challenge is figuring out whether a new thread should be created here,... or in the Tech section.  ^.^

-----

In any event, have a backlog of responses here in this thread, so I'll get to them shortly.  ^__^

*types furiously*

Tsubashi

Lol, I love the logo, Senpai! Definitely befitting the club ^-^
-Tsu

C-Chan

QuoteI always say, "When in doubt, go with Tiger-sama!"  

QuoteBahh, she's to busy messing with the fabric of existence to lead groups

Greater words of wisdom have never been spoken [twice]. ^___^

QuoteWoohoo! Open sauce! Next best thing to cranberry sauce!

*either that's an inside joke, or you've taken to talking in an ever-so-elegant Bostonian accent*

Well for sauces, might as well make it something,... IKEAish.  Loganberries ftw!  ^v^

But yeah, the open sauce thing is a pretty common word play on "Open Source" in the community.  So when a piece of software gets open sourced, people confess to "savoring" the sweet sweet "sauce".  ^___^

QuoteYou mean red and black?

I've also seen it Blue and white too.....

Either way, there's plenty that can be done with Compiz Fusion.  ^^

QuoteThat sounds like an...incredibly quirky tale...!

Yes, that sounds like something that could only happen to Linux-chan :P

Honestly, that sounds like a plagiarized it off your run-of-the-mill RPG game.  But as they say,... "When in Constantinople.... do as the Byzantines do".  ^.^

QuoteO__________O

Yeah, I know I know, I'm nuts.... ^^
But I still want to think that the giant penguin embodies the GNU/Linux spirit (more GNU than not).  ^__^

QuoteAIX I've got no ideas for, but I think Unixware has a lot of good material for a -tan...

Well,... maybe now that you mention it,... AIX-tan COULD suffer from a lot of "aches", no?  ^.^

*laughs at own bad pun*  ^V^

QuoteCooooool

Although I bet some Compiz-fusion or Beryl decked out Linux-tan might have a debate over who posses the more flashy, yes-less-that-useful fashions XD

Careful now, or you'll end up turning IRIX-sama into the modern-day equivalent of a jealous Snow White stepmother.

"Monitor monitor on the Desk.... Who's the Flashiest of them all?"

"....."

"@$@!&#!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

QuoteAnyhow, that's funny! Who would have known Unix-sama would attract this kind of comedy?
Although I do have to say the *nix family has an almost disturbing amount of pompous little brats XD

The UNIX family is fill of pompous brats?  Naaaaaaaaaaah,... what made you think that?  ^_______________^

Seriously,... now you know why the Free Unices don't mingle much with the direct heirs. ^^'

(FreeB-chan in particular is not adverse to pointing out the myriad faults of her family.)

QuoteAs for those spells...I assume she uses "Indigo Magic"? And is this also a reference to IRIX once being used in a lot of computer animation applications?

Preeeeeeeeeeecisely.  ^____^
In fact, it's a bit of lack of inspiration on my part, but I still think it could work for her.  -v-

QuoteThat's a great logo you've got there senpai! All this vector work going on; I really need to fix my inkscape!

Speaking of which, I tried installnig Inkscape on my friends Tiger, but couldn't since it didn't accept the version of X11 on it and I couldn't find a version of X11 to download.  Fortunately, he does have PCLOS on the side as well, so it's not an urgent thing.  ^.^

QuoteI hereby apply for the postition of Resident Minister of Propaganda. HEIL SEMPAI! ONE MEWXPZLFUDAWV, ONE PIG! HEIL SEMPAI!

Um,... I know I created the logo,... but technically Bella-san is our leader.  ^.^
Speaking of which, she's only 3 posts away from greatness, so don't forget to get her to post m0ar.  ^__^

QuoteYou gotta love the look on XP-tan's face  But...*gasp*...I have to say I think Linux-sama's the cutest one here!

Well you did technically draw her, so surely there's just a small drop of bias (e.g., I can't help but love my FreeB-chan the most).  ^.^
Still, it IS a CUTE reenvisioning of her design,... certainly ups the MOE factor significantly without the helment.  ^__^

QuoteYou and Aurora can be the secretaries of Mac affairs

Can I be Treasurer?  ^___^

QuoteI don't know. She is pretty cute, but that BSD Devilette... ^__^

Yeah!  Tsubashi-dono loves FreeB-chan too!  ^v^

QuoteHello everyone!

Yo Kitsune-san!  Short time no see!  ^.^

QuoteI just got back from +Nijiura+, nice place at that.
None of the random Flames/ /b/tards / attackers and Sagebombs.

...Thankfully.  -.-

QuoteAnyway, I just noticed..Leopard-chan is an IDOL there.
Seriously, she's all over the place

I only really see the OS-tan thread, so I didn't notice that she might be an idol in the other boards.  '__'

QuoteFree Bsd-chan is just TOO cute for me not to call the cutest of them all.

YES!!!  SCORE THREE FOR THE DEVILISH CUTIE!!!!  ^V^
Also technically the smartest one there.  ^.^

QuoteI love the banner C-chan.
And if this is going to be war against the Vista-users, then let it be WAR!

Fufufu,.. well don't expect it to last long, cause by M$ own admission Vista won't have much of a lifespan after all.  Hence the scramble to make Windows 7 halfway decent.  ^v^

Thank you, btw.  ^___^

QuoteOh, and C-chan.
I FOUND THAT ALTERNATE PUMA-CHAN!
You're right..She is cute..
But for some reason the pic of her won't upload in this topic.
Anyway, she's blonde, pigtails, black and red ear pattern.
Is this her?

Yep. that's her.  ^^'
And I was only lying when I said she's cute,... point of fact, I loathe her and don't want her anywhere near my beloved REAL Pu-chan!  ^0^

*hugs REAL blue-haired Pu-chan protectively*

So yeah, if you can keep It far away from my love, I'll make it worth your while.  ^___^

QuoteOkay, you got me there. Linux-sama is cute, but FreeBSD-chan is like....Moe to the tenth power with sugar on top XD

You guys seriously think she's cute enough?  ^___^

*squeals with joy*

Thank you, Elda-san!!  ^V^
[=inspiration for FreeB-chan]

QuoteShe may be a +Nijura+ idol, but for me there's only one Goddess XD

*grovels before Unix-sama*

Praised be the Bella-sama!!!!  ^0^

QuoteAhem...Now, my #1 rule of engagement for this matter is to be nice to the users themselves...

Agreed.  It's essentially just a formalized version of the Golden Rule after all.  ^^

QuoteLol, I love the logo, Senpai! Definitely befitting the club ^-^

Thank you, Mr. Secretary of Mac Affairs!  ^___^

Tsubashi

Thank you, but it's Mr. Under Secretary of Mac Affairs; Aurora-Sama is senior to I. ^^'

QuoteSpeaking of which, I tried installnig Inkscape on my friends Tiger, but couldn't since it didn't accept the version of X11 on it and I couldn't find a version of X11 to download. Fortunately, he does have PCLOS on the side as well, so it's not an urgent thing. ^.^

Oh? Friend-san uses a non-standard Mac-X11 port too? Nifty! Too bad it doesn't work. You might try reinstalling the developer tools from the disk, because the only Mac-X11 available for download that I've found is an old version for panther (incompatible with Tiger)
-Tsu

Techno the fox

Wooooowww....

The finalized banner is beautiful.
It really symbolizes the MEWXPZLFUDAWV club.

Quote from: "C-chan"Yep. that's her. ^^'
And I was only lying when I said she's cute,... point of fact, I loathe her and don't want her anywhere near my beloved REAL Pu-chan! ^0^

*hugs REAL blue-haired Pu-chan protectively*

So yeah, if you can keep It far away from my love, I'll make it worth your while. ^___^

Okay..

[attachment deleted by admin]

C-Chan

QuoteThank you, but it's Mr. Under Secretary of Mac Affairs; Aurora-Sama is senior to I. ^^'

Really?  Didn't know you were THAT young now.  ^^

QuoteOh? Friend-san uses a non-standard Mac-X11 port too? Nifty! Too bad it doesn't work. You might try reinstalling the developer tools from the disk, because the only Mac-X11 available for download that I've found is an old version for panther (incompatible with Tiger)

Awesome.  ^__^
Now it's just a matter of having him find that install disk in the midst of all that rubble.  ^.^

Oh dear GAWD, I'm doomed.  ;___;

But thank you, Tsubashi-dono.  ^^
Hope you fix yours soon.  ^v^

QuoteThe finalized banner is beautiful.
It really symbolizes the MEWXPZLFUDAWV club.

Thank you Kitsuine-san.  ^v^

QuoteOkay..

*snort*  `__'

*staaaaaaaaaaaaaare*

Hmmmmmm..... `______'

*studies*

*samples*

*analyzes*

*concocts*

*tests*

*explodes*

EUREKA!!!!!  ^v^

She's fixed..... ^____^

[attachment deleted by admin]

NejinOniwa

Quote from: "Sempai"Well for sauces, might as well make it something,... IKEAish. Loganberries ftw! ^v^

Ã,,hem! Just so you know, it's called Lingon. Berry. And they're quite sour. But good, nonetheless, and especially with porridge. Funnily enough, the Lingonris (I have no idea whatsoever on how to translate the word, because it AIN'T a bush it grows on) keeps its thicky leaves over the winter. There might even be berries left this late...

*struggles back to topic* Now where was i?

Oh. Right.

Resident Ninja Pirate's comment on the finalized logo is:
FABULOUS!
One thing though: It confuses me that the images and the text doesn't match. For example, "Mac Evangelists" is upper-left, while Tiger-tan is Lower-left, and so on. Err...
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

First off, let me say I love the logo! I think it's perfect as-is, it really conveys the point ;)

QuoteGreater words of wisdom have never been spoken [twice]. ^___^

Heehee...

I think Techno-san's siggy is pretty prolific, though :P

QuoteHonestly, that sounds like a plagiarized it off your run-of-the-mill RPG game. But as they say,... "When in Constantinople.... do as the Byzantines do". ^.^

LOL...

QuoteYeah, I know I know, I'm nuts.... ^^
But I still want to think that the giant penguin embodies the GNU/Linux spirit (more GNU than not). ^__^

Maybe he can be Linux-sama's goon or something...

Now who's crazy XD

QuoteWell,... maybe now that you mention it,... AIX-tan COULD suffer from a lot of "aches", no? ^.^

*laughs at own bad pun* ^V^

Ha. Ha.  ;018

QuoteBut as for character ideas, I think she'd be a pretty close co-worker with Linux-sama (or maybe SuSE and Redhat-tan), because I read something about AIX being compatible with them on some IBM servers...

The UNIX family is fill of pompous brats? Naaaaaaaaaaah,... what made you think that? ^_______________^

Seriously,... now you know why the Free Unices don't mingle much with the direct heirs. ^^'

(FreeB-chan in particular is not adverse to pointing out the myriad faults of her family.)

I guess so much old power and money can do that to anybody ;)

But, then how do the Linux-tans get along so well-ish with them : ?

*ponders*

QuotePreeeeeeeeeeecisely. ^____^
In fact, it's a bit of lack of inspiration on my part, but I still think it could work for her. -v-

And the character would have to have a lot of blue...blue hair, eyes, etc...

QuoteUm,... I know I created the logo,... but technically Bella-san is our leader. ^.^
Speaking of which, she's only 3 posts away from greatness, so don't forget to get her to post m0ar. ^__^

Ah, this club is run by the people for the people!

Or something like that :P

QuoteWell you did technically draw her, so surely there's just a small drop of bias (e.g., I can't help but love my FreeB-chan the most). ^.^

Guilty as charged!

QuoteCan I be Treasurer? ^___^

I was going to appoint you Secretary of Open Sourcery, and executive of public relations...

You can multi-task, right? :)

QuoteYES!!! SCORE THREE FOR THE DEVILISH CUTIE!!!! ^V^
Also technically the smartest one there. ^.^

Them fightin' words ;070

I don't think Linux-sama would ever try to eat a headcrab O___O

QuoteFufufu,.. well don't expect it to last long, cause by M$ own admission Vista won't have much of a lifespan after all. Hence the scramble to make Windows 7 halfway decent. ^v^

Meh. I don't care if it's half/three-quarters or fully decent, the Windows boat has sailed for me : |

QuoteAgreed. It's essentially just a formalized version of the Golden Rule after all. ^^

Yeah, I never really gave a flying rat's hind end what anyone thinks about my OS, just leave the users out of it...

QuoteResident Ninja Pirate's comment on the finalized logo is:
FABULOUS!
One thing though: It confuses me that the images and the text doesn't match. For example, "Mac Evangelists" is upper-left, while Tiger-tan is Lower-left, and so on. Err...

I wondered the same thing...

Tsubashi

QuoteÃ,,hem! Just so you know, it's called Lingon. Berry. And they're quite sour. But good, nonetheless, and especially with porridge.

Um, no. Loganberries! Rubus × loganobaccus
a hybrid produced from crossing a blackberry and a raspberry.  Accidentally created around 1880 in Santa Cruz, California, by the American lawyer and horticulturist James Harvey Logan. Hard to harvest in bulk, but very rewarding for home gardens. Fruit Matures earlier than blackberries. Produces fruit for approximately 2 months, as it has fruit in different stages, from blossom to mature fruit simultaneously. Very Yummy, especially in pies! ^.^

QuoteOne thing though: It confuses me that the images and the text doesn't match. For example, "Mac Evangelists" is upper-left, while Tiger-tan is Lower-left, and so on. Err...

Each char is on the oppisite end of the collum which bears their title,
eg. "Mac Evangelists" - Upper-Left, Tiger-tan - Lower-Left
Unix Disciples - Lower-Right, FreeBSD-chan - Upper-Right, etc

Added after 10 minutes:

Though, I don't know. It's sort of amusing thinking of the -tans as the nearest title. Linux-sama a Mac Evangelist? Or XP-san a Unix Disciple? Lol ^v^
The only one that sorta works is Tiger-san, because plenty of Mac users like linux too ^.^
-Tsu

Bella

QuoteThough, I don't know. It's sort of amusing thinking of the -tans as the nearest title. Linux-sama a Mac Evangelist? Or XP-san a Unix Disciple? Lol ^v^
The only one that sorta works is Tiger-san, because plenty of Mac users like linux too ^.^

Hey now, I'm a rabid XP fangirl and I still think Unix, and its descendants, are the some of the greatest OSs ever designed!

Mac Evangelist Linux-sama...lol... o_o

Tsubashi

QuoteHey now, I'm a rabid XP fangirl and I still think Unix, and its descendants, are the some of the greatest OSs ever designed!

True, but M$ takes a much more anti-linux stance than Apple, by far ^.^
-Tsu