If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

QuoteMinux edited by linus torval?
1: Torvalds.
2: Minix.
3: No, no, it is NOT. For one, Linux is a Unix-alike. Did you ever see the words Minix-alike applied to ANYTHING?

Keyword being, DO. YOUR. RESEARCH. PROPERLY.
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Quote from: "NejinOniwa"
QuoteMinux edited by linus torval?
1: Torvalds.
2: Minix.
3: No, no, it is NOT. For one, Linux is a Unix-alike. Did you ever see the words Minix-alike applied to ANYTHING?

Keyword being, DO. YOUR. RESEARCH. PROPERLY.

Funny, a computer tech I know seemed to think Linux was a heavily modified version of Minix too. I politely informed him otherwise (or tried)... Minix may have inspired the creation of Linux, but it's by no means an ancesstor.

MInix and Linux are both Unix-likes, but of course the two are nothing alike philosophically or politically. Minix is a humble little experimental academic OS while Linux is far more akin to early versions of Unix (free software, even though the concept didn't exist back in Unix's early days, they've both experienced explosive growth in the professional market, hundreds of variations of each, etc, etc~)

11076ddz

Thats what they teach in college, so please chill out homie.

goes somthing like....

Linus took Minix and made linux

however minix was scripts use in a class for developing os. the major requirement being that it was suppose to be Paleolithic. linus who never took the class posted his monolithic program on some blog or something another and it got popular.

anyways this demands more research and a definite answer! then me being mad at MR. porteet

NejinOniwa

Quotesome blog or something
Blog?
In '91?

ಠ__ಠ

Red-Machine

Red_Machine: Flouting the Windows Lifecycle Policy since 1989!

NejinOniwa

I know, but the comparison ticks me off. -_-

11076ddz

stewartsage

Perhaps it was Usenet?  Usenet knows allllllllllllllllllllllll

*shrug* My own textbook mentions neither so I can't speak as to what's being taught.  It isn't correct though.

11076ddz

they didn't give us textbook for Linux administration class only reference manuals.

Bella

Quote from: "SoulTaker916"Thats what they teach in college, so please chill out homie.

goes somthing like....

Linus took Minix and made linux

however minix was scripts use in a class for developing os. the major requirement being that it was suppose to be Paleolithic. linus who never took the class posted his monolithic program on some blog or something another and it got popular.

anyways this demands more research and a definite answer! then me being mad at MR. porteet

Your college teaches things wrong then. =.=

Minix was made by Andrew Tanenbaum at Vrije University for teaching purposes. Torvalds, who was attending University of Helsinki when he created the Linux kernel, used Minix but didn't base Linux off of it. Linux was first announced (and its code made available for download?) on alt.os.minix.

By "Paleolithic" you mean surely mean monolithic, right? As in monolithic kernels v. microkernels?

Never had that awesome of luck finding good historical accounts surrounding operating systems and computers in books; when it comes to these matters, Wikipedia and Google ARE your friends.

Aurora Borealis

Paleolithic kernel? Linux, nor Minix has one, but I'm sure UNIX does!

Bella

Quote from: "Aurora Borealis"Paleolithic kernel? Linux, nor Minix has one, but I'm sure UNIX does!

Nope, Unix uses a monolithic kernel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_Kernel

The only kernels that exist are monolithic-, exo-, nano- and microkernels, as well as hybrid kernels.

EDIT: I think some humour may have been lost on me here. Oh you Aurora-sama. :V

stewartsage

Quote from: "SoulTaker916"they didn't give us textbook for Linux administration class only reference manuals.

Then I rejoinder you to consult
this.

11076ddz

sorry to cause such a stur up. as u can tell i don't remember or care that much about what the Linux teacher teaches.

if you want my teacher has the original "whatever" announcing Linux.

my original point is that topics like this may actually form a new O.S.

CanaryTan

Ive made an os before. I made one with cosmos and one with susestudio.
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.