If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey

i don't know, i want to try to keep writability to an absolute minimum...(viruses, hacking etc)...
And SATA is indeed best cuz 1 it has small connectors, saving space, and 2 a 60-way striped RAID drive with 3Gbs per drive will kick ass... ;010
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

However, you can choose to have NX-Bit on the 64-bit host CPU enabled to deter the virus and possibly smash the evil hacker in the track.

And as for the SDHC, it will be tagged by firmware for NX-Bit paging - but I doubt the x86 CELL's NX-Bit would be used much since I'm not gonna to hook it up to Internet, rather a stand-alone computer.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

i dunno, i would like to have some networking capabilities, but then again.. with a full-custom OS, all you basically ned is a new filesystem to deter viruses and the malicious hackers (hackers that actually manage to break in such system are usually professionals and have no harmful intentions)
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

You can keep a small (but important) paging binary on Level-2 cache RAM inside a x86 CPU - it can be locked down by RING-0 key (if programmed correctly - no one but you and the OS can see the paging data in its flesh.)

You can download the manuals from AMD (in software developer area) for more informations.

Smokey

cool..
new info to assimilate...
never would've thought to go to AMD (or IBM, ASUS WD) for info....
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

AMD is full of helpful information.

Of course, those dudes and gals over at AMD supports Open Source, which is also why the manual's openly available to public.

Smokey

IBM is helpful and welcoming too, i see...

Good ol' big blue...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Of course, I got Cell BE programming manuals.
That way I would know how the x86 cell ticks (both PowerPC and x86 CELL processors are designed similarly - the only difference is the engine archietecuture)

Smokey

yeah, i did realize that i need to update my library...
DOS-manual and Win200 Server MCSE book won't cut it here...:D
plus i need to print those Assembler tuts because screen reading sucks...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

True. Of course, the Windows book that you have will still help if you are planning to use WINE core (Windows emulator).
Usually, it's up to you because you are the programmer.

Smokey

true, true... i always knew i was right in not returning that book to school.... i should've kept the networking supplement as well...(i forgot most of my CCNA training)
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Ha ha, true.

Anyways, I'm still looking for few more chips, and is eyeing at Japanese MOSFET, perferrably Mitsubishi.

The Mitsubishi 1,500 Volts switching MOSFET would be used to provide 0.3 - 1.2 Volts juice to the CPU, while remaining cooler (Maxmium 250 Amps in Voltage Regulator configuration)
It will be driven by Maxim-IC's Turion 64 power controller chip.

Smokey

oh shoot, havent thought about such components yet....

I need a design team...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

You can post the information of homemade motherboard or for privacy, just PM me, I will be able to help you, Smokey, on electrical part (since I had a feeling that you may want to do software yourself.)

Smokey

oh, the software is of later concern... I am now trying to cope with the design...
But i think i will use simple (old) processors first, to learn better (read faster) and to prove the viability of my theory... ( i first have to prove that designing a computersystem from the ground up will help build a career, and is useful in general)
But i will post more detailed designs as i progress, i can post them here if i copyright them... (besides i trust this forum will not steal my designs...):D
Thanks Fedora-sama