If You could design a OS...

Started by Dr. Mario, June 23, 2007, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NejinOniwa

YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Smokey

i intend for the OS to be more stable than WinME, but indeed, nice -unintended- pun...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
[Img disabled by Fedora-Tan]
Thanks Fedora-sama
Homer no function beer well without (Homer Simpson) ^_^

Dr. Mario

That's a good start, but FASM is only designed for x86, so make it 8088.

However, the complex it get, you may end up wanting to grab Pentium or K5 processors. That's my opinion about the 5x86 CPU part.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...

Smokey

ah yes, i have now learned that and i am now studying on 2 types of assembler; the one -wich is most useful, i guess- you have led me to and one on ARM RISC processor...

And i am planning to scale up as i learn more on assembler...

My ultimate goal is to assemble and program a working motherboard, videocard and processor etc... beginning with simple old stuff and working up to a multi-processor, multi-treading -relatively- powerful machine...
Wich'll take some years, I'd imagine... :D

And yes i also realize the need for specialized hardware and knowledge of machine code, but i am very motivated to create my very own computer (who'll be like a son to me by the time i'll be finished ;010)

Added after 1 minutes:

Oh I forgot all about the OS...
Of course if i finally have built a computer system, i'd love for it to have its own -bespoke- OS... :D

I must be insane...
I dont tell you how to tell me what to do, so dont tell me how to do what you tell me to do... Bender the Great) :/
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

That's good to have a goal.

To be easier on yourself, I recommend x86. because it's easier to program.

Smokey

thought so... RISC was a bit too tempting, so i got suspicious...
Maybe a cool project once i finally tackle x86...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

True. Although, it's possible to program ARM processor to execute x86 program natively.

You said RISC is too tempting?
Ta-da, all of AMD processors are x86 RISC processors!

Smokey

better keep learning about both, then...
I try not to use intel parts in my design as a matter of principle...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

I am planning to build a computer in a NES game console case.
Although I'm using a x86 - I may use a version using a Japanese RISC architecture, perhaps Kelvin.
I may use laptop SO-XDIMM XDR-DRAM as a main system memory, because I may want to play a realistic 3D game on it.
I will also assemble a motherboard by hand. (yeah, I knew how to solder BGA chips.)
I may make GreenOmega 64 OS (and boot firmware based on GO64, so it could be better than BIOSes.)

Smokey

Check out the post i made in the other thread, i intend to assemble that bad boy myself too, and i also intend to have the OS on high speed ROM...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Or Magnetic RAM, MRAM tends to have hard drive-like function and speed.

However, I may use MRAM for firmware and setting (flash only have few thousands of overwrite cycles before failing.)

Anyways, when it gets huge in memory capacity, I may use it as a hard drive. (one for OS and emulators, and another for saved games.)

Smokey

I'd still like to use (E)EPROMs for the OS to enhance system security...
And any kind of volatile memory (SDRAM and up) would suffice for the pagefile, since it is faster than HDD
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

How about pagefile memory consisting DDR chip?

Anyway, I think the pagefile on my NES computer may be nonexistant - if it do exist, it would be better off being held on main memory, namely - 4.0GHz Rambus XDR-DRAM linked directly to the x86 Cell CPU - similar to Athlon 64 that you're familiar with.

Smokey

i assume you will not be using HDD for mass storage, then?
I will, since i intend to break some record by installing a couple of dozen TB in mass storage, wich will be darned expensive if done with DRAM.. btw isnt DRAM volatile memory...?
And DDR pagefile was the idea...
Thanks Fedora-sama

Dr. Mario

Yes. DRAM is a violate memory - it can be rendered a non-violate memory if continuously refreshed and fed it with a battery.

I would rather keep OS on SDHC memory card, however, if MRAM get large enough, I would grab MRAM SSD with SATA interface.