Main Menu

Touhou

Started by SleepyD, June 09, 2007, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrackham

GAAAH !!!!
I'm playing embodiment of scarlet devil and i haven't finish it....

Japanese people sure are crazy....how did they finish such a difficult game like this.....bullet (danmaku) everywhere !!! You will need a high concentration ability to dodge all the bullet enemies shoot at you.

In EoSD i play normal and.....i  always stuck at stage 5 when i face sakuya....actually, i'm run out of continue every time i clear stage 4.......

If there's any pro player around here.....please give use -the noobs- some useful tips or trick.....
Life is the most complex OS and system ever.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........!!!!!!!!

Life power rules !!!!

Exa

Quote from: "redrackham"GAAAH !!!!
I'm playing embodiment of scarlet devil and i haven't finish it....

Japanese people sure are crazy....how did they finish such a difficult game like this.....bullet (danmaku) everywhere !!! You will need a high concentration ability to dodge all the bullet enemies shoot at you.

In EoSD i play normal and.....i  always stuck at stage 5 when i face sakuya....actually, i'm run out of continue every time i clear stage 4.......

If there's any pro player around here.....please give use -the noobs- some useful tips or trick.....

Well, Touhou is hard, especially if you're not prepared for more intense danmaku patterns. And don't forget that most Touhou games give you the good ending only if you can clear the game in one continue... (sometimes you need to do it at least on Normal, like in EoSD - that's the reason why I couldn't see the good ending of it. With using continues, I probably could clear the game, but this will end up in a disappointing bad ending...
Sorry, I can't help you, but on the forums I mentioned earlier, you can find very advanced players, they could help.

Nafoi

Uhm.. for the beginners I suggest training with Imperishable Night, in easy mode (but if you do this, Tewi and Reisen will probably laugh at you... those who know the IOSYS will probably understand what I'm saying :P).
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is probably the most difficult one...

Another good advice is to begin with Homing Style characters (Reimu), so you can concentrate in dodging, without worrying for what you are shooting at.

at the beginning touhou is REALLY HARD, especially the 4th and 5th screen of every game (I still remember how hard I was pwned in the 4th screen of Perfect Cherry Blossom.... and I'm NOT talking about the Prismrivers!).
The best advice is to train! Try to finish the game, even continuing in easy mode (at the beginning it's really easy to die ^^")
And train in the 4th and 5th screens a lot!

Day after day you'll notice that you're getting better ^^

Xeon

True true touhou is extremely hard in the beginning. just won imperishable nights on lunatic with Marisa without losing a life *although it did took a while*
and now im of to try and actually survive Phatasmagoria of Flower View on lunatic using a sakuya and Remilia combo.

and also i heard a rumor that some1 was porting  imperishable nights to the ds, homebrew though hope its true.

Them be the Velvets. They are made of Velvets and Megidolaon.

redrackham

@Nafoi
Ummm....i try to play Imperishable Night but.....damn ! It's more difficult than EoSD.
In EoSD i'm able to read the pattern of enemy's danmaku attack....but in Imperishable Night....i can't since it's more intense and almost no room to dodge the danmaku.
In EoSD i usually lost a live when i lost my concentration but in Imperishable Night, i lost a live because of panic -__- after seeing danmaku filling up my computer screen (like when facing Marisa (using Reimu) or when facing Reisen.....)

But i still struggling to finish both (EoSD and Imperishable Night) now.

Btw.....what the mean of Graze in both game ? I notice that in Imperishable Night, you can move through enemies' danmaku without getting killed (up to some extent) but  you can't do it in EoSD....is it 'Graze' that i metioned before ?
Life is the most complex OS and system ever.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........!!!!!!!!

Life power rules !!!!

Nafoi

To "graze" means to fly near the enemy danmaku. It adds points to your total score.

In touhou games either you and the bullets have a "hitbox".
You can see your character's hitbox when you focus (to focus you have to keep pressed the shift button).
In EoSD you can't see your hitbox, so you'll have to understand where it is.
Reimu's hitbox is smaller than the one of the other characters, so it's easier to use.

The bullets have a hitbox too: you can be killed only if you touch the bullet's hitbox with your hitbox. usually bigger bullets can be grazed more effectively since their hitbox is a lot smaller than them.

For me Imperishable Night is easier than EoSD (I usually play in lunatic mode,  but it should be easier in easy mode too)..
Marisa is surely tough, but reisen it's actually pretty easy: just stay away from her and you should be safe: most of her bullets slow down near the end of the screen and are easy to dodge (but don't try to take the bonus points when you finish one of her lifebars or you'll be caught by her next bullets :P).

Plus, in Imperishable Night, if you are caught by a bullet, you have some time (a little instant :P) to press the bomb button and save your life (sacrificing two bombs). In EoSD you can't do this.

You could say that Imperishable Night is easier because the innovations in the game help you staying alive :P

Plus in the options of Imperishable Night, you can set the number of your lives per continue up to seven, and this helps A LOT :D (but try not to get addicted to the high number of lives ;) )

Acher13

i wanna try this but where can get em?

can anyone link the game for me?

SleepyD

Quote from: "SleepyD"i have since forgotten where I got Touhou.  It's just been sitting here on my hard drive doing nothing until now. XD;;

I'm sure some members here know. ^^

in any case, I must really suck at this game cuz I'm getting pwned at stage 3/4 on EASY in The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. XD;;;
Well, I feel like bringing this thread out from the depths. ^^;

I've been playing EoSD again lately.
I know it's one of the harder ones, but I have this desire to do things in order. XD; And the challenge is much appreciated.

I'm trying to clear EoSD all in one continue on Normal.  Farthest I've gone is the beginning of stage 5.  
I blame "China" for killing my stock of lives before going into the library that is stage 4. I know how to clear her stage strategy-wise, but my precision with the keyboard controls isn't as great as I would like it to be.

Quote from: "Nafoi"
Plus, in Imperishable Night, if you are caught by a bullet, you have some time (a little instant :P) to press the bomb button and save your life (sacrificing two bombs). In EoSD you can't do this.
Actually you can.  It's just IN gives you way more time to do so than EoSD does. The wiki says you have to bomb within 0.1 seconds after getting hit in EoSD, while IN gives you 0.9 seconds.  Also in EoSD, there is no bomb penalty.  

I've done it before in EoSD, but you have to be lucky.  I've played IN a few times, and yeah, it's WAY easier to counter-bomb.

Edit: I see that the EoSD death-bombing applies to all games from TH06 onwards.  In IN, the extra feature is that from 0.1 to 0.9 seconds after being hit you can still counter-bomb, but with penalties.

NejinOniwa

Perhaps a good call, to avoid flooding just about EVERY section with touhou-isms, let us now proceed to tell of our failings or successes with Danmaku in this thread.

For my part, I actually started off with Subterranean Animism, with its strange bombing system - thus I've never really gotten the card bombing around my head, so I instinctively avoid using bombs 90% of the time...and when I DO start using them, it's usually too late anyway -w-;

EoSD is strange. I always found Meiling pretty simple, but my worst fear was - strangely enough - Cirno's first non-spell. Yep. Stupid as it sounds (lol), but I always find it extremely hard to dodge it properly - even now I usually go around it and fling out to the sides to throw their aim off.

I think I managed to get all the way to Patchy once, but she slaughtered what lives I had left so brutally it wasn't even comical.

On IN: Reisen is extremely frustrating, but that's probably because I lose my nerve completely while going through the stage to get to her (TEWI YOU ASSHOLE, also FUCKING_RABBITS). What I've found, however, is that playing Shoot the Bullet is a quite marvelous training method to learn how to graze and stuff.

Anyways. UFO is crazy. PCB is surprisingly easy, to a part...
...until Youmu comes in and screws shit up good.

So: as of yet I've never gotten further than Stage 5 (normal) without using a continue (PCB/IN, hard as well on PCB) and little further with them. There seems to be a high gap in between the 4th and 5th stages in many cases.

Never played easy mode, and never will, out of sheer pride. -.-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

SleepyD

2007? Really, I started this that long ago?

haha, well, since my last posting, I STILL haven't been able to 1cc EoSD.  And as usual, once I use a continue, my skills just become crap at that point for some reason.  (so I still haven't cleared it)

Although, nowadays I'm able to clear Meiling and Patchy will little loss of life.  It's that accursed maid that kills me so. many. times.  By the time I get to Remilia, I'm dangling by a thread with a life or two.  
Then I die.  

So far most of my deaths have occurred in Sakuya's stage. heh

Yeah, Youmu came out of nowhere...

And I've played UFO a bit... Couldn't get past Stage 3. lol...

NejinOniwa

UNZAN, DAMNIT, UNZAN, I HATE UNZAN SO MUCH. UGH.

I dunno why, but I really like the Prismrivers' theme. It's catchy. -w-;

NejinOniwa

I must also mention that it is hideously annoying to attempt to play Touhou on a laptop...

...since the keyboard is screwed up and doesn't allow you to go down and left at the same time. -_-
I AM FORCED TO PLAY WITH A CRAPPY GAMEPAD ´A`

SleepyD

my laptop (before it died just a few days ago) wouldn't allow z+shift+down+left/right  

If I release one of those buttons, it does that 3-key combo just fine... but when I'm using shift, I generally need to go in a particular direction rather carefully... heh

Ultimaninja

Bring this up to pace with my:
Shoot the Bullet talk...
I'm doing really well in it, and it's been semi-confirmed that the next touhou game is Shoot the Bullet 2 (no idea of the actual number)

NejinOniwa

STB2, you say!?
That sounds awesome indeed.