Main Menu

Favorites in the media

Started by Bella, May 22, 2007, 12:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

What do we like here at the OS-tan forums, in TV, movies, music, and books?
(I'm mostly talking about non-anime since we have that covered in the other sub-forum, but we can also post about our favorite anime, as well.)

Tsubashi

Aside from an occasional anime, I hardly ever watch movies, and I don't have TV reception so I can't really say anything in those departments. My taste in music has already been established in the whts Playing? thread. So then, I guess that leaves books!

I often read through informative non-fiction such as manuals or reference guides (Seems I have a bunch of O'Reilly lying around), but when I'm feeling stressed, or have loaned out most of my favorites (Which rarely seem to make it back to me) I do enjoy a good romance. I just barely finished Twilight (again) and am nearing the end of my second time reading New Moon, the sequel. I'm also starting Interview with the Vampire
I'm certain we can all determine a common thread here, ne? But honestly, regardless of whatever bias may exist in me, these books are genuinely good. ^o^
and hey, I don't always read about vampires! Watership down, and Lord of the Rings are good too! ^__^
-Tsu

zjhentohlauedy

i've read piers anthony's xanth series, some of terry pratchet's disc world(ok not some just 1 so far) some stephen king books. some douglas adam books and other fiction sci-fi fantasy novels. i also like reading those mystery books. we have an encyclopedia here full of those kinds of things but its very old.

i don't really watch local shows here in the philippines, don't know why but i don't

some american series/cartoons includes House M.D., Heroes, invader zim, avatar, billy and mandy, Power puff girls, fairly odd parents, etc.

movies would include the pirates trilogy, the Lotr trilogy, spider-man series, batman begins, evil dead, army of darkness, waterboys, ringu series and other j-horror, Mystery science threater stuff and many more.

j-pop sums up my music favorites. YUI!!!

well thats all for now
My my, aren't you lovely~

Kami-Tux

I love reading Sci-fis with a good story. My favorite authors are Charles Stross, Andreas Eschbach, Cory Doctorow, Robert Silverberg, Douglas Adams, William Gibson and Neal Stephenson. I hate Tolkien with a passion. Also Love stories, I always felt they were created for social conditioning.

I don't watch TV and I don't go to the cinema... it just does not interest me. I listen to the radio only when my surroundings subject me to it...

Kial Harry Potter ĉiam faras danĝerajn aferojn?

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

Interesting. I like Sci-fi a lot  too, especially Asimov. Strange you should hate Tolkien, though, since his books are commonly seen as the epitome of the fantasy genre, which is closely linked to Sci-fi. Love stories, well it's true that there are a lot of pulp romances that smudge the entire genre, but there are quite a few really good ones, IMHO.

I feel the same about TV and the radio, which explains why I haven't even attempted to get local stations. ^-^
-Tsu

C-Chan

I third TV and cinema opinion,... not that I'm missing out on much, as it's junk compared to what it was in the good ol' days.  -v-

(And then people wonder why I defected to Anime?)  OvO

Same for Radio, but only because all my favorite radio stations have either been dissolved, banned or forced to go "underground" (net stream).  XvX;

Love non-fiction books instead,... currently ready about the joys of C Programming.

Oh joy..... -v-;

SleepyD

hm... books... I liked Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, and Dan Brown's Angels and Demons... maybe I should pick up The Da Vinci Code.... Catcher in the Rye by Salinger wasn't so bad... I didn't know what emo was back then, but it is emo... haha

Oh, I also enjoyed Poetry of the Universe by Robert Osserman. It's not a story, but I liked the math and physics and all. ^^

as for TV, there hasn't been much that interests me.  I don't have cable, so I don't get much. Two shows I watch: House and Heroes.  And I really want to watch Band of Brothers, having watched an ep in my AP Chem class 2 years ago. (My teacher was in the 101st Airborne... and got his masters at CalTech, but I digress)

music.. haha... I don't listen to much mainstream music, but I have been listening to more rock on the radio.  My dad, through the years, has gotten me into 70s and some 80s music.  Composers such as Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Kanno have gotten me into jazz and orchestral.  I have a particular liking to their piano pieces.... my cousins have gotten me into trance and electronica music too. whee, I'm all over the place. ehe :3

C-Chan

Oooh,... Catcher in the Rye,.... *squeals*  ^__^

Brings back memories, how I loved that book.  -v-

It was a very pleasant surprise to see many references to it (and other Salinger works) in Ghost in the Shell: SAC.  Speaking of old literature, the last fictional (well, semi-fictional) book I read was the uncensored original edition of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle".  I remember the censored version being stirring enough, but this version absolutely moved me to tears.  Fabulous piece of literature,.. it's a shame it wasn't the one to be published some 100 years ago.  ^__^

Yoko Kanno I like too, but lately I've been into those variety swings.  So I'll appreciate a good Pizzicato Five tune anyday!  ^__^

Bella

My favorite TV shows are Lost, Heroes, and 24. Although I do love watching just about anything on the Discovery channel, History channel or Science channel.
Movies....a little less specific, I like stuff in the sci-fi, fantasy, historical, action/adventure or just-plain-good-storyline-without-too-much-special-effects genre ;)
Books...sort of the same as my movie preferences, my favorite being fantasy. I guess my favorite book series is Harry Potter. I also like reading about astronomy, theoretical physics. Stuff that has to do with space, and other dimensions and such :)
Music...I can pretty much appreciate anything, though I do especially like jazz, rock and contemporary.

I'm very eclectic ;)

4RC71C-M4N

Hmpf, how I start?!

Favourite Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Most heard music in last time is: LAW - xxx
["xxx" means not what u think]
In the last week I´ve seen Star Wars Episode 1+2
My favourite newcomer as music group is "Nevada Tan"!
They´re like Linkin Park but german!

NejinOniwa

Aossha...Now I'm getting flashbacks from this morning here, we just did a thing like this in class. Creep -.-

Anyways,

I don't watch TV at all, except for the occasional Simpsons episode from the kitchen when I've got nothing else to do while I'm eating. On the other hand, though, I'm a bit of a, as some of my mates call it, "Upper-class culture otaku" (at least for my age), since I'm a frequent visitor of musicals and theaters and such - basically all i ever stay away from is the opera, cuz they're just creepout.

Anyway, literature has always interested me - I've even written some shorter, and one longer, works occasionally - and I mainly read Sci-fi and Fantasy stuff, but there's more than that on my records. Books I've liked (outside those genres) are the Ramses series by Christian Jacq, Dan Brown's books, to an extent, the Otori Clan series by Liam Hearn, and most recently the book Rain by Barry Eisler. Among fantasy/scifi I've read lots, but they can basically be classified into two categories - Serious shit and Gag shit. Gag stuff is, well, the usual stuff, you know the drill - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I basically love Douglas Adams now, Future Eden by Colin Thompson (an alien chicken created the earth, of course that's true! didn't you know?), and basically everything ever written by the master of gag, Terry Pratchett. I've gotta send him flowers someday.
Serious stuff i've read include:
The Awakeners by Sheri Tepper, The living ship series by Robin Hobb, the Black Mage trilogy by Trudi Canavan, of course the LOTR, the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card, some old stuff like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, Sword of Truth by I've-run-out-of-ideas-so-lets-make-another-crappy-sequel-Terry Goodkind, the Artemis Fowl series (dunno why, but i liked it) by that irish Colfer guy, and so on, and so on, and so on. But most important are Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and the stuff by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (you know, Deathgate, Dragonlance...that stuff).
puh, that was a lot.

Anyway, as for music i basically listen to most stuff, but my favorites have got to be J-stuff, mainly Janne da Arc, Hirano Aya (omfz PRAIZE!!!), AKFG, UVERworld, and of course YUI. Then we have (mainly) Progressive Metal stuff, including Dream Theater, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation and such, but also some non-prog bands as Sonata Arctica, DragonForce(yes.) and Children of Bodom.
Since i started playing saxophone a lot of years ago from now I've listened and played a lot of jazz, and for those i listen both to instrumentalists as Yoko Kanno and good ol' Thelonious Monk, but also a lot of Jamie Cullum, who is practically GENIUS. Listen to him sometime. I also have lots of OST stuff, mainly anime but also from things like Halo and Zelda games. Then we have misc stuff like some Queen and other random stuff, but screw those. -w-

Ehaah...that's a lot, isn't it? ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Tsubashi"Interesting. I like Sci-fi a lot  too, especially Asimov. Strange you should hate Tolkien, though, since his books are commonly seen as the epitome of the fantasy genre, which is closely linked to Sci-fi.

I strongly dislike fantasy and think it has nothing to do with Sci-fi!

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!

Tsubashi

*Sigh*
I'm too drained right now to argue, but I will clarify "Closely linked" to mean "both are speculative fiction." Obviously the two are different, but are commonly lumped together
-Tsu

Gummster

Oooh, A 'what do you watch and read but is not anime nor manga' thread!
I don't watch TV a lot, there are only two episodes that I watch, Tónlistarhorn Jóns Ã"lafs, and Klassíska hornið, both Icelandic TV shows about music (I've appeared in the first one =P). But besides that I don't really watch TV.
But of course I read! Books that is, I'm currently reading Njála, a very big, very old Icelandic book and because of it being old there are a lot of words that I don't really understand, so that one is going a bit hectic.

Kami-Tux

Quote from: "Tsubashi"*Sigh*
I'm too drained right now to argue, but I will clarify "Closely linked" to mean "both are speculative fiction." Obviously the two are different, but are commonly lumped together
Fantasy is fiction, Sci-Fi is speculative fiction.

Pro lia vol\' de mort\'!