Intel's Quad Core Madness...

Started by Laevatein, March 14, 2007, 02:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laevatein

http://xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20070311212505.html

QuoteE6850 (3.0GHz, 4MB unified L2 cache), E6750 (2.66GHz, 4MB unified L2 cache), E6550 (2.33GHz, 4MB unified L2 cache) and E6540 (2.33GHz, 4MB unified L2 cache) that will cost $266, $183 and $163 respectively for the higher-end models.

Intel is projected to broaden the lineup of its quad-core chips with the Core 2 Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz, 8MB of cache, 1066MHz PSB) that is claimed to cost $530 and decrease the pricing of the already shipping Core 2 Quad Q6600 to $266.

Jeezus... I need to start saving up money for this steal...  ;013

-War is hell, and I mean to make it so. - William Tecumseh Sherman

Silentbob

I'm looking at the E6600 after next months price drop.   Or maybe one of the cheaper 1333 MHz FSB models, if they arrive quickly.  

I feel like building a new system from scratch, instead of just partially upgrading my rigs like I usually do.  My current system is faltering as well, keeps crashing from time to time.  Might be the PSU, as it apparently took a beating from my previous graphics card. (Must have overloaded it).

w00terz

Sure, right after I buy my Core2 Duo, they drop the prices  ;030

Silentbob

I went for the E6600.  It was the best bang for the buck and I didn't want to spend a fortune.  I still have to get a widescreen LCD as well, so that'll make a dent in my bank account too.

NejinOniwa

I got my E6400 home a few days ago. No motherboard to install it on yet though ^^
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

grant_p

How hard is it to change processors?  I'm using a Celeron D, if it's cheaper to get a new processor then a new computer, I might do it.  Right now I plan to get 2 gig of memory soon.

Tsubashi

Depends on your hardware. Celeron D means it's either LGA775 or Socket 478, so you're limited to processors designed for those sockets. Depends on what your upgrading to.
Then, of course, it also depends on your motherboard. I've met some that really don't want anyone touching the CPU, so it is invaluable for you to be familiar with your computer's insides ^-^

Hope it goes well! ^v^
-Tsu

grant_p

Since I BEARLY understand what you're talking about, I think I'll just go with my memory upgrade and then use my computer till it fries.  Worked with my 286 Windows 3.0 laptop (it croaked last year...)!

C-Chan

Aha!  Tsubashi-dono changed his avi to the wonderful young girl who inspired eComstation-tan.  ^____^

That is cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute.... ^.^

I'm not that much of a hardware expert yet, so I've always assumed that working with motherboards/CPU's involved the occasional....... soldering...........  ^^;
Sadly, not something you can just pop in and it works like a PCI card or Mac RAM....

I reckon that whoever mass markets a "Lego-style" computer (where all components can be purchased separately and stacked together safely depending on your needs) would be a millionaire.  ^__^

And wait a sec, is that 286Mhz laptop, or literally a 286 (as in 386 and 486 comptuer)?  I know there was once an Atari Folio, but still.....  Â¬v¬'

Tsubashi

Well, awhile ago, Captain-san said I was a lot like her, so I did a little research and thought she was Kawaii! ^o^
Now I just need to find the series, ne? Though I've heard it is a bit ecchi...
*Sadness*

QuoteI'm not that much of a hardware expert yet, so I've always assumed that working with motherboards/CPU's involved the occasional....... soldering........... ^^;

Every once in a while, I suppose, but not too often. Unless, of course, one was to be designing a circuit to convert component video out to VGA, which is proving to be exceedingly difficult! ^^'

QuoteI reckon that whoever mass markets a "Lego-style" computer (where all components can be purchased separately and stacked together safely depending on your needs) would be a millionaire. ^__^

If I remember correctly, IBM tried to do that once, way back when, but it turned out to be too costly and unwieldily.
Or maybe it was someone else? Gomen nasai! It's been a long while!
-Tsu

Silentbob

Quote from: "grant_p"Since I BEARLY understand what you're talking about, I think I'll just go with my memory upgrade and then use my computer till it fries.  Worked with my 286 Windows 3.0 laptop (it croaked last year...)!

You must be commended on having used a 286 laptop up until 2006.   And Windows 3.0, I think the last time I ran that was in 1991.   ;010

The Celeron is one of the cheapest CPUs these days, so obviously it would be the low cost option.  But even just upgrading your RAM could help, not with processing power, but somewhat smoother operation.

grant_p

No, not a 286 Mhz.  I mean a 286 PROCESSOR, before 386 was even thought of.  16 Mb of RAM.  It was a Zenith.  Monochrome screen.  Fifteen pound battery pack.  The entire computer weighed in at 25 pounds, not counting the huge case to carry the power pack.

I still have it, I wish it would still run, but I can't even find parts.  It'll start, but won't boot and there's a burning smell I'm pretty sure isn't good for it.

Not that I have any means of moving files to it, it has no USB, a 40 MB disk.  It has a floppy drive...nothing else I have has a floppy drive...

C-Chan

Suuuugoi.  ^___^
Regardless of how inoperable it is, I'm sure the shell at least has got to be worth something on eBay (even Commodore PETs are sold).  ^__^

Or better yet, just keep it around as your own personal museum piece.  ^.^

(If that's 25lbs, the the Folio must've been as heavy as heavy as 2 CRTs then.... -v-)

grant_p

Embarrassingly, I remember getting my first e-mail on it when I was 13.  By using TELNET, with the internal 2400 modem to dial in, text only, to the Fort Bragg BBS where I had a free account.

Nowadays, Bragg doesn't let civilians use their systems, I have hi-speed internet, and I use Yahoo mail.

And the 25 pounds total, I got by sitting it on the scale.  I've go to get a picture, maybe start a thread of 'show off your derelicts."

"Yeah, here's my laptop, posing next to a young Christopher Columbus.  You see how the screen was one of the first LCD's, back when they were chipped from flint.  Here's the hamster wheel that drives the hard disk and..."