Amiga Inc. sues Hyperion

Started by Raffaele the Amigan, May 05, 2007, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raffaele the Amigan

The Amiga soap opera continues endlessly amazing us as with big surprises!

Some days ago Amiga Inc. sued  for trademark infringment the belgian firm Hyperion who are the maker of AmigaOS 4.0...

Due to lack of interest of Amiga Inc. it seems Hyperion wanted to sell the OS available for a series of platforms without asking permission to Amiga Inc. to release hardware licences!

Strange that Amiga Inc. reveals itself so interested in AmigaOS after almost 5 years of abandon.

Infacts Amiga Inc. was focused on AmigaAnywhere, a project similar to Java but more powerful and unfortunately closed source and with a very few success.

AmigaAnywhere has nothing in common with elder Amiga neither with AmigaOS...

AA just shares Amiga name to make itself became more famous... (Sic est!).

In these years the Amiga hardware and AmigaOS were just sub-contracted to Eyetech for the production of AmigaONE motherboards, and to Hyperion for programming the OS.

Now seems that Amiga inc. is suddenly interested again in the AmigaOS, maybe because thy have sensed that big income could come again from this product!

Sorry to C-Chan...

It seems that to buy a new Amiga he must wait for the end of court trial, and the decision of the judge to declare who really owns
AmigaOS...

Or in alternative if Hyperion can mercahandise, package and sell the AmigaOS of its own, autonomously and just paying copyrights to Amiga Inc.

Read a good summary of the whole Amiga Affair on the online computer gossip magazine "The Inquirer":

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39362

Added after 4 minutes:

-----

Latest news!

These are so new that even I have not a link.

To avoid any legal problems with Amiga Inc. the Operatating System AROS changed its name.

It is not Amiga Research OS anymore...

Now AROS stands for "AROS Research OS", using a recursive acronymus.

Do you know what a recursive acronym stands for?

It is a joke of words as in one continuous loop that goes in circle, and goes, and goes, and goes, like a snake who eats its tail and rolls on...

Hum! I need to make a simple example to you:

Just think of G.N.U.

It means "GNU's Not Unix"

Look that the name GNU is present again in the acronym made plain.

So with a similar joke of words now:

"A.R.O.S." stands for "Aros Research OS"...

Link to the AROS announcement: (???)

Added after 5 minutes:

-----

The link to AROS news:

http://amiganews.de/en/news/archiv/Misc/
Pegasos computer: CPU PPC G3 600MHz, RAM DDR 512 MB PC3200, Graphic Card ATI 9250 256 MB videoram. SO MorphOS 1.4.5
;011 -(Caramba! El nuevo Peggy computador es Amiga compatible y muy Mejor!)
[/color]
"God, what an incredible thing we did!"
(R.J. Mical, engineer of original Amiga developing team at Amiga Inc. 1982-1985).
[/color]
"When the Amiga came out, everyone [at Apple] was scared as hell."
(Jean-Lous Gassée, former CEO of Apple France and chief of developers of Mac II-fx, interviewed by Amazing Computing, November 1996).
[/color]

C-Chan

@o@

Like, has Amiga Inc. joined forced with the SCO Group or something?  @___@'

*sighs*

*starts picking parsley from his herb garden*

I can understand if Amiga-sama can never regain her old glory ever again, but at least she'd want the best for her children....

WHY then did this have to affect AROS-chan too?  ;^0^;

WHY OH WHY CRUEL WORLD!!!!!!  ;^~^;

*siiiiighs*

In between Apple postponing Leopard-sama to take care of that stupid phone, IBM holding Serenity's eComstation by a leash long after OS/2's death, and Amiga Inc. burying any chance for an Amiga revival with this sorry crap......... perhaps I'm fated to stick with Linuces at this rate......  ;___;

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

Oh well, thank you for passing on this bit of news....  -.-

For all its worth, at least I know to punch anyone who dares tell me that AROS stands for "AROS Research OS".

It is "Amiga Research OS"  and will always be "Amiga Research OS", even if I have to yank Amiga-san out of those vile corporate hands and make her open source!!  ^0^

Till then, if you don't mind, I need to die for a couple of days in grief.  Try not to let anyone eat me during that time.... -v-

GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!!! ^0^

*slits wrists with parsley*

*expires*  .... X__X

Added after 2 minutes:

[AFTERLIFE]

(Note:  Bella's renditon of AROS-chan and Puppy Linux)

Oh now, I can get used to this.... ^____^

[/AFTERLIFE]

Dr. Mario

;020 Usually, the corporations today... You know how they are...
They tend to just sue anybody who would fondle with their stuff, like this forum for example. And sadly, GNU license won't protect anybody if it's made from scratch that they couldn't be happy with. Like ReactOS, for example. They have been accused on in the past, which was why they contain Wine now. Generally, yes - I would accuse Microsoft, but no.

;013 I knew I'm not trying to whip gasoline around, but I'm mentioning it in general... Wish those operating system doesn't have leash...

;012 Oh, like NT-tan! I guess she could be more happier without being on leash.
;025 Now, Bowser... What can I do with you...