What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

no, you're not dumb. using the CLI seems much more difficult than GUI.

they make books on linux now? .___.;
click to make it bigger

CanaryTan

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 06, 2011, 09:24:28 AM
no, you're not dumb. using the CLI seems much more difficult than GUI.

they make books on linux now? .___.;

Yeah..The one I got is called 'Linux in a Nutshell'
I'm not kidding. I have all teh animal crossing games and play them everyday.
My profile pic is from deviant art. It's not mine.

Chocofreak13

huh. guess it's not as underground as it used to be. :\
click to make it bigger

Bella

Quote from: Chocofreak13 on February 06, 2011, 11:46:11 AM
huh. guess it's not as underground as it used to be. :\

...........Linux hasn't been underground since Slackware was still called SLS and Ubuntu was the merest glimmer in Mark Shuttleworth's eyes. >>;

There are several 1990s-era books on Linux at the local used book store... as far as learning to use a Linux shell (CLI) this site has a really easy-to-understand tutorial:

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

Taught me a lot of what I know about navigating *Nix command lines (since they share a LOT of similarities - at least navigation-wise, Linux, OSX, BSD and the vintage Unix releases look pretty much the same).

Chocofreak13

if i was better at programming, i could make a flele that isn't so buggy ;___;

(but that's what i get for making an ME flele, lol)
click to make it bigger

svx

I think I'm just stuck in the good old days!

I was born in 1985, so... ehh... I was used to DOS back then, because Windows 3.11 didn't do seem to do anything special for me besides being able to play Space Quest VI better than the DOS version

So, I got into Quake after it was released in 1996... I used to play on a pretty tricked out server ran by a guy at a university who was studying programming (and later became an employee at Redhat, from what I understand)

The players there talked about how cool Linux was pretty often, so... I learned how to use Linux! I was more familiar with DOS than Windows, so it just seemed natural to learn the CLI, and it just felt pretty awesome to realize the differences between different shells (bash, zsh, csh, etc) along the way :p

Guess it always stuck with me!

@canary - My advice for learning CLI? Come up with a cool idea for a simple program, and then program it using your shell! You'll probably want to learn bash script more than anything else, since it's the most common these days... You know, Source Mage Linux uses nothing but bash scripts for its package management, and it's awesome :p

@choco - I had to google what a flele is... sounds cute... hmm... Maybe I makes one too?

Chocofreak13

Quote from: svx on February 06, 2011, 08:43:06 PM
My advice for learning CLI? Come up with a cool idea for a simple program, and then program it using your shell! You'll probably want to learn bash script more than anything else, since it's the most common these days... You know, Source Mage Linux uses nothing but bash scripts for its package management, and it's awesome :p
this may be the most coherent, intelligent thing i've ever heard from you. by jove, i think he's got his field of expertise! >:3

Quote from: svx on February 06, 2011, 08:43:06 PM
@choco - I had to google what a flele is... sounds cute... hmm... Maybe I makes one too?
i posted a video i made in the video thread explaining what flele is. if you're interested, i can provide a link to a tutorial. ^^
click to make it bigger

Aurora Borealis

I saw your flele thingy, Choco, and it looks awesome! I hope it isn't Windows-only. :(

Speaking of CLI, I've had some experience using the Terminal in OSX, and have tried making scripts but am so confused by them.

svx

It looks awesome!

And, uh... I mean, I'm not supposed to make sense...

Just... pretend... it was me being drunk :p

Krizonar

Quote from: Aurora Borealis on February 06, 2011, 09:08:24 PM
I saw your flele thingy, Choco, and it looks awesome! I hope it isn't Windows-only. :(

Speaking of CLI, I've had some experience using the Terminal in OSX, and have tried making scripts but am so confused by them.
It'd be cool if we (OSC people) could all have music player controllers like that.

Yeah, the Terminal is the only experience I have and in that I tend to know how do only damage and no good.
Sudo is your friend.

Chocofreak13

i'm sorry to say that flele is only compatible with windows, however it has patchy success running in wine. mac is a no-go as of yet (and i haven't found any newer versions, so it's likely that it's going to stay that way).

i remember uploading some os-tan skins awhile back, for winamp and a player called lilith. idk where you'd find the player or the skins, but they exist. :\

as for flele, it may only run in windows/sometimes wine, but you can make your own, as evidenced by mine. >:3
click to make it bigger

Krizonar

I have a knack for getting stuff to run in Wine.
I play an MMO that doesn't support my platform.

I'll stick with iChibi, supposedly they're making more chibis!

svx

Maybe I'll port Flele as a KDE applet in the future!

Work on the world's fastest XML (DOM, too!) engine progresses and, eh... I guess the Zune will take up some of my time, since the guys on the Zune board will probably help me along as I make a USB mass storage device driver for it

Btw, I keep getting emails from people ever since I mentioned my Morrowind port for the PSP... Hmm... Maybe I really should finish that :p

Chocofreak13

finish what you started, foo!

if you could get flele to work on other platforms, i'd love you forever, since that means my friends from college could use it too. ^^ good luck though, most of it's in japanese and the other bits are in broken english or crypted japanese. >__<
click to make it bigger

svx

For Choco's love?

I shall do this :p

In all srsness, ehh...  I mean, code is code! It'd just be a matter of running it through something like HexRays' disassembler to reverse it... A bit of work I suppose, but...  Some day...