What computer/OS are you using?

Started by Bella, April 16, 2007, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocofreak13

keep at it, dude. i downloaded a kana app for the iphone and put some of those ancient "learn japanese' videos onto my iphone, so i'm gonna try to keep my resolution, too! ^^
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

Operating at the moment from the "LAN" computer that I keep around.

by "LAN" i'm referring to LAN gaming, this is one of the older Acer compact computers that are smaller but still more powerful than an xbox 360. With it being such a light and powerful little desktop computer, I use it for when I go to friends houses for LAN parties for League of Legends and what not. My little brother has a friend over at the moment that I'm letting use my main system to play Starcraft 2 on along with my little brother. So, I set up the 'ol LAN system with a 19" Philips display running with it and I must say that its a nice little set up! This thing is even running Windows 8 Pro on it so its completely up to date.

Chocofreak13

damn, you must have a lot of computers around to be using a desktop as a spare. ^^
click to make it bigger

Dr. Kraus

I've got around 7 or 8 desktops around the house, some for multimedia purposes and some for gaming purposes

DustiiWolf

Well, Madobe (My laptop, named after the Madobe family {Ai, Yu, Nanami, Claudia, Claude}) is going back to basics, as far as the desktop is concerned. I removed software, such as Microsoft Scalable fabric &  Rainmeter.

I am also using Internet Explorer 10, with Chrome Frame (to patch up some of IE's missing html and to add WebM support) now, seeing as my chrome was degrading in quality and speed. (Quite frankly idk why I ever though ie sucked. Sure, it has its flaws, but its not bad. It feels sharper. Though this IS IE10 im talking about, which is supposedly way better than 9 and lower).

(PS: hope this is the proper topic. this felt somewhere between this topic and topic-less, but not really fit 100% for either...)
Official -tans are my bat signal.

Chocofreak13

it's talking about computers. tbh i think if there isn't a specific catagory for the software (ie: gaming) then this is the right topic for it. and tbh using IE is my secret shame; i use it all the time but i don't talk about it for fear of being flamed/made fun of. >>;

@kraus: i figured as such. still pretty cool, though. xD

(now, does he take them with him and set them up elsewhere, like coffee shops....?)
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I admit, I did like IE10. It's lack of an adblock add-on keeps me from using it often, much like with Safari, but I will admit it's probably the first version of IE since 5 that I actually care about :\

Regardless, I just don't understand why Linkara has to start flamewars with his fans on Twitter the instant the subject of web browsers comes up, due to his love of IE >_>;;

LeaflameSD

Every release of IE before 5.x was pure evil... >:(

P.S You might like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8

Chocofreak13

this is IE 9. i had little problems with 8, and i'm one of the only people i know who likes 6. as for Linkara, that just made him infinitely more badass in my eyes. -w-
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

Everything before IE6 was EVIL. I mean the bugs, how it easily damaged Win95 systems and made it impossible to reinstall them, putting advertising ON THE DESKTOP, using a web browser to look at your file- Why couldn't Microsoft use the trusty ol' Windows 95/NT 4.0 explorer instead of that horrible IE4 'integrated' shell?

Nichi

With Windows 95, there's no such thing as "impossible to reinstall" unless you lose the installation disc. If you break it, a quick reformat and you can reinstall everything

LeaflameSD

What I mean is that IE4 made it hard to reinstall these OSes without formatting, because it would replace the standard Windows 95 system files with it's own special versions. What would've not been such a big deal at the time, just a newer version of IE, was one of the browsers that caused the browser war. What I'm trying to say is that Microsoft could've done all these things without Internet Explorer, but being a little late to the game and licensing a copy of Mosiac, they really took it to an unacceptable level. I'm not advocating hating Internet Explorer, it's just that in the late 90s there were better browsers that did everything on it's own without touching system files or preventing the option to uninstall once you've installed the program. Hell, I like Internet Explorer, it works and is safe unlike most people who say other. But just because it's there doesn't mean people have to use it, I'll use IE as a last resort but I find Firefox or Opera the definitive browsers.

TIP FOR MICROSOFT: Don't abuse your monopoly, suppress your power level :)

Nichi

True that. I've been loyal to the Mozilla lineage since I first got on the internet (From Netscape Navigator 3.0 up to present day; with the latest version of Firefox), and Opera is quite nice :)

Chocofreak13

opera is my preferred browser but i'm too lazy to clean out all the residual tabs i have there. guess i should get off my ass and do it. >>;
click to make it bigger

LeaflameSD

My preferred version of Firefox is 3.6.28. Even though the 3.x.xx series is obsolete now, you can still view new webpages without hassle, and uses far less RAM than alot of the newer versions.

And I also discovered I can type without looking at the keyboard or the screen.