OS-tan enemies (and battles)

Started by Bella, April 13, 2007, 08:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Chocofreak13"
"good. i'm still a noob, so i'm bound to make a misake or two. besides, i think i was still freaking out that it got so dark so early."
We all make mistakes and are always start as newbies when joining a fandom!

Back when I was a newbie here, I thought that WE-tan was ME-tan's counterpart from a parallel universe! XD

"hmm, i think i posted the site a few weeks ago, it's in a topic i made called 'os tan site' but i clicked the link, and it's gone ;_;"
Aw bummer. That site was very good for its time and helped me understand the OS-tans better when I first encountered them :(

"hmm, i'm more of a shonen-ai fan myslef, rather than the hardcore stuff."
Me too. I don't like the hardcore stuff such as yaoi. I meant to say that I like shounen-ai too.

"95 is good in that she doesn't forget tradition and where the win-tan came from, but bad in the fact that she lacks the ability to adapt."
Exactly!

"i'd like to see it happen. drawing is my passion, and without a real grouping for the male characters, i've only found a few ;_;"
Yay! Another artist! I hope you can post up your work!

"do you mean she isn't a pervert?"
I'm not sure actually.

on a completely seperate note, since these characters are fan based, and thus not set in stone, it is acceptable for the fans to come up with a variation or two in the -tan world without getting flamed, yes? i believe i have a good idea. :3"
Yes, as long as you don't override any of the OS-tan 'canon'.

guyveroz

I also thought Linux-tans would be the most diplomatic of them all... considering they are open source and can be adapted to work with other OSes... then again most viruses are made on Linux/UNIX machines,,, hmmm... two faced entities?

Bella

QuoteI also thought Linux-tans would be the most diplomatic of them all... considering they are open source and can be adapted to work with other OSes... then again most viruses are made on Linux/UNIX machines,,, hmmm... two faced entities?

O RLY? Reference, please.

guyveroz

Oh my bad. After further research it was only through a 3rd party program that Linux units can access Mac drives. I though it could be switched between reading little endian(Intel based) and big endian (Classic Mac) through mounting commands

[EDIT]
And after further further research turns out at least Solaris could there might be others
[EDIT2]
Just underlined the link to make it more visible

NejinOniwa

QuoteYes, as long as you don't override any of the OS-tan 'canon'.
THE CANON
It is the LAW.[/i]
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

guyveroz

And the cannon enforces the canon law? >.>
Sorry couldn't resist the bad pun.

What's more powerful canon or fanon?

NejinOniwa

That depends on the detail of the original work. If the author decides to leave much to our own imagination...ROW ROW. -w-
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Bella

Well, if you decide you want to depict XP-tan or some other "canon" character (which is really just the Windows and Mac-tans) as being completly physically different than 90% of the depictions of her, then you might run into some troubles....

However, it you have some new ideas for her personality, or have some ideas for an underrepresented character or whatnot, then you should be okay.

I should be one to talk, my entire time drawing OS-tans has either been spent creating new OS-tans, or subtlety modifying existing designs. I don't think I've even drawn a completely canon character in my life, and would rather not even think of there being a set canon.

Aurora Borealis

Quote from: "Bella"Well, if you decide you want to depict XP-tan or some other "canon" character (which is really just the Windows and Mac-tans) as being completly physically different than 90% of the depictions of her, then you might run into some troubles....
More specifically, the 'canon' OS-tans are the Windows-tans from Windows 3.1 to XP* and just two or three of the Mac-tans: Mac OS 9-tan, Mac-tan/OSX-tan (the blonde girl in the white bodysuit) and Tiger-tan. MS DOS-tan, Linux-tan and Linspire-tan are considered canon too.

*there is no one canon Vistan design. There are so many out there and some of them gained a lot of popularity, such as Vistake and Chivistan but they still haven't been 'accepted' by all OS-tan fans.

However, it you have some new ideas for her personality...
Like how you added in all that backstory for Linux-sama! ;010

guyveroz

Just wondering... who actually sets what's "canon" in the OS-tan universe?
Because as far as I know the OS-tannivers... (okay I need to stop making cheesy stupid names) is all based on fanon,,,

Bella

QuoteMore specifically, the 'canon' OS-tans are the Windows-tans from Windows 3.1 to XP* and just two or three of the Mac-tans: Mac OS 9-tan, Mac-tan/OSX-tan (the blonde girl in the white bodysuit) and Tiger-tan. MS DOS-tan, Linux-tan and Linspire-tan are considered canon too.

*there is no one canon Vistan design. There are so many out there and some of them gained a lot of popularity, such as Vistake and Chivistan but they still haven't been 'accepted' by all OS-tan fans.

I would be willing to think Chivistan is the "canon" Vistan by now. If you look at the imageboards, when somebody requests an image of Vista-tan, it's 9 time out of 10 it'll be Chivistan that's posted.

And while Linux and Linspire-tan designs were floating around, they really didn't have any "character" to speak of, which brings me to...

QuoteLike how you added in all that backstory for Linux-sama!

Yeah, Linux-tan did kinda go from some little girl wearing a helmet and flippers (or sometimes a giant scary penguin), to a responsible, intelligent, spirited matriarch of all Distro-tans, savior of the Unix society and a would-be Unix-sama soul mate.

Alex S

Since 'technically' the calculator-tans are not canon (they haven't even existed for a full year yet) would they be included into some of these ideas for enemies?

Really all it would be is: Calcu-tans vs. the enemy of their employer(s) because they're mercinaries.

Aurora Borealis

^ I think so.

I know for sure that the TI family and HP family are still rivals (especially because TI-88-tan's death was said to be caused by one of the HP calcu-tans).

guyveroz

cute... thread merging :P

But don't you think the Calcu-tans aside from being mercs would also be plotting the downfall of OS-tans considering they took most of the Calc-tan's jobs... I mean who wouldn't rather Alt+Tab/Mac+Tab (I keep forgetting what that button is called Control Option and Mac button?) to a scientific calculator on the computer than pick up another piece of equipment :P

Personally where I work it's rare that you see a calculator...

Aurora Borealis

Possibly, but calculators are still in widespread use in schools. Carrying around a calculator is much more convienient than carrying a whole computer around just to do math!