FREE COOKIES!

Started by CaptBrenden, April 11, 2007, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balrith

@Choco:
I like to think that observing multiple styles helps too. But they'd probably have to be the right styles. Anime has a central culture to it and there are a lot of common stylistic choices like the angular chin and large head. Overall, it's akin to recreating a knowledge of the original language from a bunch of different scattered dialects, only in anime's case, some of the clues are missing from most dialects.

@Bella:
Vector is perfect for finalizing and polishing. Maybe they were better at vector because they put more thought into the lines or spent more time tweaking them. Just a hypothesis.
When I started trying to work on line confidence, I noticed putting more thought into every single stroke I made had a great effect. It helped me get the right structure down on the canvas and reduced clutter.

In addition, a lot of artists don't even use vector tools to make lineart. In sai, I'm partial to sketching something and then refining that sketch on the same layer with the pen tool until it becomes clean lineart. I find that keeps a lot more of the sketch's original feel than going over it again with a vector line. It's kind of masochistic thing to do though, and I usually give up halfway.

Also I'm pretty sure that the reason I can't make satisfactory lineart by using a new layer is due to my own inexperience with placing lines where I want them. Sculpting the lines into the right shape is easier. Line stabilization can also help a lot, but I'm conflicted about supporting its use since it is a bit of a crutch.

An example from a project I've most likely abandoned:

Cockleshell

That's the way I do my lineart. It takes a good chunk of time, but I'd rather something that I like instead of something that looks too clean for my style.
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Bella

Fabulous work, Cockle and Balrith. : O

Tbh I feel like I don't "draw" so much as I "paint with lines" .... which sounds dumb and kinda pretentious, but at this point I don't even really do sketches/lineart in a traditional sense. I don't feel like explaining the process right now — maybe someday I'll put together a GIF of my start-to-finish process.

I have a couple problems

Drawing fem classes ...

... and yuri families / lesbian science babies.

God help us if those two things ever combine.

Cockleshell

LESBIAN SCIENCE BABIES YES
What's in your hand, back at me. I have it, it's an oyster with two figures of your favorite Touhou characters. Look again, the figures are now vials of the Hourai Elixir. Anything is possible when your waifu smells like Old World and not a man. I'm a frog.

Bella

Yay, another science baby fan~ ^.^

Nichi

LOL -w-
Also, I'm now picturing gender-flipped me and 2k-tan creating lesbian science babies >w>;
Not sure if want pic or not

Chocofreak13

Well, if we have Yaoi Liver Babies, then we should have Lesbian Science Babies too. -w-
click to make it bigger

Nichi

I thought it was Magical Yaoi Babies ^^;
(Because it's magic; we don't have to explain it : D)

Bella

I've always been curious — lesbian science babies are pretty simple. The baby-making equipment is all there, you just have to fertilize an egg with another woman's dna. How to yaoi science kids work? It seems like that would require a lot more intensive biological/medical engineering. 0.0

ETA:

Nichi

Nice Twilight :3

Also, I assume yaoi babies would involve magic -w-;

Chocofreak13

sparkle sparkle twilight.

as for what i said, yaoi wasn't exactly the right word and i tried to edit it from my phone but evidently it didn't stick. >>;

when i was in high school, an old friend of mine, Kai, decided that when two gay men have sex a liver baby is formed on the recipient. being that Kai turned out to be gay himself, i'm taking his word for it. i have no idea how it works.
click to make it bigger

Cockleshell

Chocofreak13

dragon....griffin....centaur.....what?
click to make it bigger

Chocofreak13

double posting fuk da poleece

click to make it bigger

Bella