Bella's OS-tan Artwork Thread

Started by Bella, March 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siya

QuoteThank you! Just send me a note and we can work something out.

I could always just pick out some drawings (or you can send me some of your favorites), and upload them to a section of the club gallery (named "Siya"). I'm not entirely sure that's how all clubs work, but then again I don't think anybody does. ^^;
Alright, I'll get to work on that note, shortly! ^^

Supposedly, I was a member of a club, once.  I haven't heard hide nor hair of it since its creation.  Which is to say, I have no idea as to the workings of dA clubs, either.  ^^;

QuoteHmmm...that's kind of interesting. I've never been able to find any meaning behind penguins, so this is a step in the right direction.
Yeah.  Having very few civilizations inhabiting the same regions as penguins has its detriments.  Your best bet would be to look into the Australian aborigines or native inhabitants of Tierra del Fuego, as penguins can (occasionally) be found native to the same regions.

C-Chan

As of this writing, I'm a little past C-Day's end so I'm technically going against my promise.
Not a problem, though, as breaking promises is my specialty.

So I need another hour to finish up here... I'll be sure to sue myself later.  ^.^'

QuoteIt may be to late, but did you consider using that first vector sketch of FreeB-chan in the BSD picture? And this chibi set interests me...

Not too late for that, and that's a great idea actually!  ^v^
I am sorry I haven't done at all well with that picture... for some reason, some drawing just refuse to get drawn and I can't explain it.  In contrast, your chibi picture basically drew itself.  -.-

I AM gonna draw it,... i'd ask for help, but I want to draw it on my own from start to finish if it's the last thing I do.  After that, I'll be sure to stick with auxiliary work.  ^^

QuoteI'll probably let this drawing stand as is, I think I'm finally happy with it. That tutorial showing how to do imitate a gradient blur seems very helpful...

Well,... it's only as helpful as you make it.  I only used that technique once (when creating that gift pic for infinity-san, featuring Mimail, Spida and ME-tan), so it's not like I make it a habit to use that all the time.  ^.^'

QuoteI sort of realized that you woulnd't have drawn that picture, but this knowledge still doesn't make it better for me. At any rate, it's incredible that you've managed to stay around this long after you've lost your will; usually, the first hot minute that I lose my will in anything I give up, which has been the case with most of my past artistic hobbies. Though...most of my past artistic hobbies were between me, myself and I with almost no reliance on the inspiration of other people, so this situation is very different. They were more stable, but that almost made them much duller in a way. ^^

I think you understand now why the comparison of my participation here as a job wasn't entirely inaccurate, and why each drawing became more a chore than a fun pastime for a while, pulling on the decomposing carcass of my will to scavenge for some inspiration.

At the risk of sounding like a wuss, I am tired.  Not sick and tired, no, but phsically tired and exhausted of doing this for near almost 3 years.  My retirement is as much a way to regain my strength as it is a way to rethink what I want to do going forward.  -v-

And when I said, you should be proud, I meant you should be proud of yourself... I can only take part of the credit for what I've done. I sort of hate to saying it because it sounds so silly...but I almost feel like a sort of "power mimic" at this point. Nearly everybody here has contributed to making my artwork what it is today, and I truly thank you, Aurora, Siya, and a dozen others for this. I know I can't generate my own inspiration all that easily; even in the past when I could, the eventual feeling that I was talking to a wall sapped it. In being here, I've gone from an audience of one to an audience of several, and even that seems like a step up.

Well I don't see it as being silly at all to be a "power mimic" -- if anything, that's what kept me around this long too.  Whatever I couldn't physically accomplish, you did for me thanks to your seemingly-clairvoyant understanding of all my ideas and concepts.  If I'm your source of inspiration, you are my eyes and ears, arms and legs, hands and feet.  I guess that makes us symbiotic, don't it?  ^.^

So let's both be proud of eachother, and start thinking up ways to put that knowledge to new use.  ^.^

Thank you! Just send me a note and we can work something out.

I could always just pick out some drawings (or you can send me some of your favorites), and upload them to a section of the club gallery (named "Siya"). I'm not entirely sure that's how all clubs work, but then again I don't think anybody does. ^^;

We'll figure that out too.  ^^

I can't do this on a daily basis mind you, but in essence I think that's good.  That means I'll have time to really do things like, say, read all the DeviantArt documentation, or try out new and interesting techniques in Inkscape, or such and such.  There will be time now for me to start thinking outside the box.  ^___^

QuoteGroup shots are pretty easy for me to draw...they're a bit more difficult to color, though.

Still, that's something I'd love to help out too.  ^^

However, I admit, the comic should take precedence for now.  -v-

QuoteI've always wanted to do a sketch of a would-be open sourced Multics-sama...maybe I should go for it.

knowing you, you could probably SNEEZE and get a sketch drawn of her instantly.  You SketchMaster, you.... ^.^

QuoteAnd most of the things I came up with were consistently...nice. I even showed the sketches to a few other people, they like them. @@

That's a great sign.  Very proud of you for applying what you've learned here for real-world applications.  ^__^

...Keep in mind that due to it's unmatched clustering features, VMS is considered to be a (physical) "disaster-proof" OS-- if one server is in danger of going offline (by say a power outage or worse) the data can be easily moved to another sever. Seems a good analogy for VMS-sama's need to stay on the move...

Well I'll be damned.  ^.^

Admittedly, it was the logo that already came with the shark logo.  UNIX-sama's owl motif was more original (and even at that, I might have seen an owl on a UNIX-related O'Reilly book or something).  

No, thank you for such kind words.

(Why do I remember this as the second thank-you standoff we've had?)

Really?  Wouldn't this be like our 15th?  Fufu... ^.^

QuoteActually, those are supposed to be sunglasses in her hand. And I always thought Vi-kun would be around the high 4' range, and isn't Miggy around 6' tall?

Ah sunglasses... sorry.  ^.^

And yes, precisely because of that, he needs to be about an inch or so shorter.  ^______^

The molepig is okay, though.  *lecherous grin*  ^w^

Quote*puts C-Chan fire out with blanket*

It was mostly the thought of shading this whole picture that scared me...maybe I can work on it, though, a little at a time. Thanks for the encouragement, though!

[proudly]  Leave the shading to me!  ^v^
Just handle the coloring for me and tell me what kind of lights you want for the scene (maybe those high-contrast dramatic lights you were talking about earlier?) and I'll take care of the rest.  ^______^

Don't be sad you couldn't get a lot of artwork done. Like I said before, it all comes down to time; this was sort of the perfect week to get a lot of work done, as the weather's been terrible and I ended up with an unusually blank schedule...I can't expect you to have had the same luxury.

Admittedly, I did not.  -.-
But I am glad I fulfilled my promise to Aurora-hime, and also decided on a course of action that would be mutually beneficial to us both.  I was expecting a huge disappointment, but I seem to have actually pulled off proper closure.  Who'd a thunk it?  ^^

And yes, I do believe you're right about the forum. It was probably a pipe-dream to think that it would end up a bustling hive of activity...can you name a time when it was ever really like this? You have to be glad with the activity there is. Maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've always been happy for what there was.

You shouldn't be sad because something's over; you should be happy because it happened.

Thank you Bella-hime.  ^^
*tallies up "thank you" #16*

QuoteGurren Lagann cosplay pic: Ahahaha! Cute! For some reason, Amiga-sama seems well-suited as Yoko and I really like look on Vi-kun's face, but what is he looking at?...

Better be nothing if he doesn't want a certain molepig to give him a good clobbering.  `v'

CIOST pic: Can't wait to see it vectorized! I notice that GECOS-san is keeping to herself, and eCOS-tan and FreeVMS-chan are right by their idol Open VMS-sama! BeOS-tan and IMSAI 8080-tan are together, very cute! NeXTSTEP-tan with Unununium-tan is very very cute! I don't know what VxWorks-tan is doing in that picture but whatever it is, is cool!

She's pointing her rail gun in the distance (on a target designated by TRON-sama), and using Red-kun as something of a stepping stool to boot. ^____^'

QuoteUSG pic, in its finished glory: I downloaded the last SVG of this picture and studied how the background was done. Very impressive! I was surprised how simply and efficiently it was done!

Thank you Aurora-hime.  ^___^
Remember, Anime special effects are only intended to trick the human eye into thinking it's realistic, not be painstaking recreations of realistic things.  After months and years of relying too much on blurring, I finally realized that (better late than never).  ^.^

So yes, it wasn't hard at all to improvise such a complex scene, and I hope you'll be interested in creating such effects in your Zerosanity/Insanity Force projects.  ^__^

If you ever need help or suggestions with that, just ask.  ^^

=======================

And I guess that does it.  ^^

I also made a really quick visit to Bella-hime's first page -- a real trip down memory lane so to speak.  I had forgotten how uniquely ubiquitous she made the eyes of her characters.  ^^

They had their charm, but indeed they were certainly but mere stepping stones to the incredible masterpieces she would create not but a year and a half later.  I'm always happy/proud/thrilled/overjoyed that she Bella-hime was eager, ready and willing to evolve this:

http://bellacielo.deviantart.com/art/2k-tan-51042439

Into this:

http://fc89.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/319/6/8/Multics_and_Unix_sama_by_DeviantOS_tans.png

There's not the least bit of doubt in my mind that she won't improve leaps and bounds upon this too.  Or even if, like me, she chooses to try a different media (say, e.g., actually animation), I still have nothing but the utmost confidence that she will excel in it.  

Bella-hime is a definitive renaissance women, and these pages of text and drawings here will stand for as long as this forum lasts as everlasting proof of that!  ^v^

I will miss this thread, but I'm happy to say I will definitely see you later.  ^__^

Ja ne....  -v-

*signs off thread*

Bella

I can't reply to all this...I'm actually a bit tired and I doubt replying would do any good...but I wanted to thank you for being able to answer all these threads. Thank you for offering to help me in the future, and thank you for offering to visit our DA page. And thank you for being here for me and helping me become the aritst I am today, and helping me be able to explore new OSes. Thank you for being there for all the members of OSC, be they artists, computer enthusiasts or mere admirers.

Aye...I guess I'll be seeing you in another life, then. ^.^

Tsubashi

Uwah! Bella-sama Sugoi!!!! ^o^
There is so much here, I doubt I'll be able to reply to it all right now, but I might as well start, ne? Gomen nasai.
I will actually go out of order, if that is permissible?
Firstly, I need to thank you for finishing that Amiga/ME-tan picture. I had meant to finish it last year when C-Chan-Senpai first considered retiring, but due to a) my lack of artistic ability and b) my lack of time (and/or absence v_v)  I never did get a decent product developed. I am forever in your debt for finishing that picture far beyond what I ever could have done for it, and making sure Senpai got it before he left. You too Aurora-sama!
Arigatou Gozimasu! *Bows Most Respectfully*

...Continues Typing...

Added after 16 minutes:

Gomen nasai. Work Calls. I may be more delayed in continuing than I had anticipated. Gomen nasai!
*Bows Apologetically*

Added after 1 hours 18 minutes:

Next I would like to address your Unix-sama/Multics-sama picture. You will need to give me a moment to collect my thoughts as it is truly mind-shattering. The epitome of your growth as an artist I dare say. It is stunningly beautiful and the symbology is enrapturing. I really can't say much to critique it, as most every point has been touched on by those much more qualified than I. Honestly, I feel so inadequate to even mention it. It has so much subtle detail, so much information and yet it remains absolutely uncluttered. You've given it an incredible depth, both visually and metaphorically, so much so that the viewer is entirely engulfed in it without even realizing why.
The most astounding part for me personally was how perfectly at ease you made the picture feel. The events transpiring are exceedingly out of the ordinary, and yet the viewer feels no discrepancy with normality. Neither of the characters look out of place nor out of character. It truly is astounding how superb of an artist you have become!

Now my OCD is getting the best of me, so I'm going to start back where I left off...

*Type, type, type*

Added after 19 minutes:

Solaris-san's Adventures Through the Magnifying Glass!

I realize I was still here for this one, but I never did comment on it so... ^__^
Eitherwichway, I thought it was a wonderfully clever idea, and a very well implemented perspective shot. ^v^
The background looks vaguely familiar, but I may just be imagining it. ^^'

Added after 38 minutes:

BSD-tans

Kawaii ^.^
Me thinks DragonflyBSD-chan and NetBSD-chan are my favorites. You certainly do have a knack for character design, ne?
The antennae hair really caught my attention. Very creative and well implemented. I absolutely adore NetBSD-chan's glasses, though. I can't really explain why, though. ^.^'

Multics-sama

Good Gracious, the intricacy! I mean, I've always been impressed by your seemingly boundless ability to make clothing look incredible, but seriously! That dress is so detailed, I can not even imagine how much work must have gone into it. As a result, it looks absolutely astounding. The perspective seems out of the ordinary but you pulled it of perfectly. Everything seems proportionally correct. Especially her hands. Slender and beautifully crafted. Perfect.
I absolutely agree with Senpai on this one. Only  "Bella-hime" can describe such greatness!.

---Eeeps! Be back in a moment... ^.^
Gomen nasai

Added after 50 minutes:

Gomen nasai, things are going very south at work and I fear I may have many more interruptions... ;_;
This may take longer than planned; I hope you can have patience with me?

Added after 1 hours 10 minutes:

Ah, let's not forget Multics-sama's faithful daemon ^.^
Elegance in simplicity, ne? Extremely specialized, equipped only for the task at hand, nondescript even. How fitting, ne? ^___^
Though I agree with your decision to keep them separate

Added after 37 minutes:

CTSS-sama and ITS-san

Sugoi! It has that kind-of old-timey feel without resorting to sepia tones. Well done! ^v^
Once again you show your incredible attention to detail quite noticeable in CTSS-sama's clasp. It is a small item, which certainly could have been completed with a simple bézier curve but instead you make it this ornate, delicate piece of jewelry. Obviously this is not the only detail, but it is the one that caught my eye the most. ^.^
ITS-san's outfit is impressive, but with her vest so close in color to the backdrop, it is easy to lose her midsection in a casual glance over. ^^;

Added after 35 minutes:

Chibis!

Goodness Gracious! Massive shift in style, ne? I mean, they're still markedly Bella-hime's but...
Plus the speed you got them out with... Wow.
Personally, I think they look a little more like a sketch than a finished product, but I think that  that is because I have been far too spoiled with your breathtakingly detailed drawings from before. ^v^

TSS/360-san

...And back to detailed. ^-^
Very nice designed. I think the whole "Multics-sama inverted" idea is spectacular; very well suited to her. I think her somewhat blank eyes also fit very well, since she really wasn't ready when she was deployed. But even empty, her eyes are still rather imposing. Staring rather defiantly at the viewer.
And the clothing! I am ceaselessly astounded by your innate ability to draw beautiful intricate clothing.
The silver decorations make her look somewhat mystical.

----Drat, I only got to page 36 and now my shift is up. I've got to hurry and catch the bus to my next job, Gomen nasai! I'll resume as soon as I can, I promise! ;^o^;
*Bows Apologetically*
-Tsu

Bella

Thank you so much! I can't reply to all this right now, but know it means the world to me that you took the time to go back and look though this thread, and furthermore comment on the drawings. :)

I've finally gotten around to finishing the TSS/360-tan drawing...

...a bigger version in on my DA page, though. I've been trying to finish up drawings I've abandoned, lately.

I shall be back!

Aurora Borealis

Beautiful! I like the changes made to her eyes, and the addition of the pattern on her outfit!

Siya

I agree with Aurora, the pattern added to her outfit is a nice touch! ^_^

Tsubashi

Uwah! Now I'm torn between keeping things in order and commenting on the update! ^-^;
Oh well, it's just an update to where I left off, ne?
*gazes at picture*
Definitely worth the dilemma. ^o^
The blue accents to the silver jewelry distinguish it perfectly, adding to the rather mystic aura while making it much harder to confuse them. The pattern and the background also add a lot of depth; makes her look a little more regal.
I most definitly approve the new hair color. It fits the picture exceptionally, not to mention her charactor.
The eyes are the only part I take issue with. Admittedly, they are rather stunning; very well drawn. They look deep and luscious, and I admire the talent you have with them. Personally, though, I think they are too well drawn. By no means to they detract from the picture, I am honestly astounded with their quality, but it seems to me that she went from a reserved glare to a more demure worry. The new eyes add a lot of depth and emotion, but I though her previouly flat eyes were more intruiging, enigmatic even.
Still, I would not suggest reversion. These eyes are much better in quality. ^.^

*type type type*

Added after 8 hours 21 minutes:

...or IT can accidentally snip the fiber. It's not like webdevelopers would actually need the internet for normal work or anything ^^;
Albiet, I was in meetings for most of the outage, but it managed to eat what little reply I had composed. Gomen nasai, it seems I must beg yet one more day from your exceeding patience.
*Bows apologetically*
-Tsu

Bella

Ack, I've been meaning to reply to this thread...I promise I will in the next day or so, though. x__x

Tsubashi

Not to worry, Bella-hime. I had family visit unexpectedly, so I may take a while too. ^.^
Gomen nasai
-Tsu

Tsubashi

About time I can back and started paying off my debts, no?
Sorry for how long it is taking. *Bows Apologetically*

DEC-tans

A gleefully heartwarming picture, don't you think? Even though it is just a sketch, it is rather detailed. The lighting does a lot to add to the feeling of family silliness. ^.^
Though I must say, Vaxeln-san's arm seems rather uncomfortably placed. After all, she is close enough that her hair wraps around, so I would think her arm would wrap around RT-11-san's waist. Otherwise it just seems to disappear.
RSX-11, and TOPS-san look to be the most dignified of the entire group, ne? ^.^
-Tsu

火らしい

i want a mac os 7 tan

who one can make it ??

for me please ^^

NejinOniwa

There is one already. Gallery is your friend.

and if there, for some miraculous reason, isn't one, then Aurora's gonna be on this the very instant she comes across it, i bet
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

Aurora Borealis

There is a Mac OS 7-tan, and she has been around since September 2006.

She is represented as a formerly overconfident, katana-wielding gangster turned depressed after her terrible defeat in battle against Windows 95-tan.

The fact that she was a gangster and dresses in a pinstriped suit like some old-school gangsters do is a reference to "Capone" (one of System 7's codenames) and her being 95-tan's mortal enemy was because they fought during the OS Wars and that Windows 95 was codenamed "Chicago" (Apple codenamed System 7.5 as "Capone" because they thought it could beat "Chicago"!).

The aftermath of that battle and the OS Wars gave her a lot of time to think over what she did wrong and now she is much wiser than ever, is very calm and compassionate, helping her sisters out, and practicing swordfighting as an act of self-discipline to help rebuild her confidence.

Although I created her back in 2006, I don't have any good drawings of her to post up :(

But here's a depiction of her drawn by C-Chan, wielding her katana and holding a basket of OSX-kun kittens!

And this one is drawn by Bella in the tragic moments that changed System 7-tan's life forever...

Bella

Thank you very much for posting those, Aurora-hime! ^^