Bella's OS-tan Artwork Thread

Started by Bella, March 18, 2007, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C-Chan

WAAAAAAAH!!!!!  I'M BAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!  ^V^

Before I reply to anything, please see the attached.  ^.^

Because SVG graphics in KDE4 don't use blurring (and good thing too from a CPU perspective), the spacefield and the oxygen tanks were created entirely from standard paths and gradients.  I spent a bit of time on it, so hopefully you'll like it.  ^.^

(BTW, don't mind the text -- the font will only look properly once you load the SVG graphic on your machine.  Also remember to reenable the hidden layers to get your complete image)

Added after 2 hours:

Keep in mind that the image of Plan 9-san is raster. I tried importing the vector image, but...several of the paths went missing in the process...

Be sure to check out if any of the layers are hidden.

Interestingly-enough, something weird did happen with the SVG you posted.  The space bunnies were centered around the Document Area, but the girls and the background were all the way towards the right, outside the Document Area.  The first thing I did was place everything back in the Document Area and separate the images out into accessible layers.

QuoteOMG...did you figure all that out on your own, or did you use some other tutorial for guidance?  

Surprisingly-enough, I didn't really use many preexisting Inkscape tutorials for a lot of what I know (a notable exception was the use of composite Pattern Fills for depth perception -- one of the built-in tutorials explained how it's done and why it's useful).

Once you get used to doing Boolean operations a little better, you'll also come up with interesting new ways to "sculpt" complex shapes like that.  ^^

Dunno how I figured to use the star shape that way...I guess I wanted to make it look more fur-like, I realized freehanding the path wasn't good enough.

Case in point, that kind of thinking eventually leads to stuff like the Amiga Ball tutorial.  ^^

I once showed a friend how to sculpt the original Batman logo using nothing but 11 ovals and some Union/Difference boolean operations.

QuoteI don't know, actually. Those might have been my mock combat boots, my hiking boots, my platform boots, my tall boots, or my work mukluks, or my house boots...I really have a lot of boots O__o

Really now?  ^..^

*starts compiling list of Unix-sama defamations to orate*

QuoteNo, I just have a strage obsession playing with my hair styles...

...Thus no hair dye being kept in the house XD

'Except pink and purple, correct?  ^^

QuoteDon't feel sorry for anything, okay?

...as a matter of fact, I've been busy today working on a picture...one I've always kinda wanted to draw but never really got around to. I won't say who's in the picture, but it'll really be unexpected...nobody would ever, ever imagine these characters together. At least under peaceful circumstances. And I'm hoping to make it uber-symbolic, right down to the colors and background. ^^

Sure thing.
And that's great to hear!  ^v^

I've been pretty charged myself lately.
I want to finish the Binteji Renmei panel of the Zerosanity XMAS panel, but also would like to leave Aurora-hime with some kind of storyboard for her to work with.  Knowing that's pretty impossible to do the standard way, and not wanting to stoop down to stick figures...

...I'll take a little page from Clannad and come up with something new....

Not Chibis...

Not Minis....

But "Dangos".  ^_______^

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bella

QuoteWAAAAAAAH!!!!! I'M BAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!! ^V^

Before I reply to anything, please see the attached. ^.^

Because SVG graphics in KDE4 don't use blurring (and good thing too from a CPU perspective), the spacefield and the oxygen tanks were created entirely from standard paths and gradients. I spent a bit of time on it, so hopefully you'll like it. ^.^

(BTW, don't mind the text -- the font will only look properly once you load the SVG graphic on your machine. Also remember to reenable the hidden layers to get your complete image)

Wow! That's wonderful! I like how you managed to make the stars look more realistic...it's very clever how you did that. I also like how you lit the oxygen tanks, and the planets are gorgeous! @@

QuoteBe sure to check out if any of the layers are hidden.

Interestingly-enough, something weird did happen with the SVG you posted. The space bunnies were centered around the Document Area, but the girls and the background were all the way towards the right, outside the Document Area. The first thing I did was place everything back in the Document Area and separate the images out into accessible layers.

Well, with your Plan 9-tan pic, only the paths involving the eyes went missing...everything else was there. And I have no idea how that might have happened with the picture I posted. O__o

Though, lately, I've been having a bit of trouble with Inkscape. It's very strange actually...especially with the NetBSD-tan and this other pic I've been working on, it seems to hang whenever I get to a certain point of zoom. In the NetBSD pic this was resolved by getting rid of all excess objects and blurring, and the other pic...it just sort of stopped hanging...

QuoteSurprisingly-enough, I didn't really use many preexisting Inkscape tutorials for a lot of what I know (a notable exception was the use of composite Pattern Fills for depth perception -- one of the built-in tutorials explained how it's done and why it's useful).

Once you get used to doing Boolean operations a little better, you'll also come up with interesting new ways to "sculpt" complex shapes like that. ^^

I've always found experimenting is the best way to learn something, too...people can't believe I know my way around Photoshop, let alone that I taught myself 90% of what I know. As for Inkscape, I probably haven't played around as much; I mean, I just now got around to learning about patterning paths and insets/outsets.

QuoteCase in point, that kind of thinking eventually leads to stuff like the Amiga Ball tutorial. ^^

I once showed a friend how to sculpt the original Batman logo using nothing but 11 ovals and some Union/Difference boolean operations

Duhdahduhdahduhdahduhdah BATMAN!!!

Funny, I usually use vector drawings of cars and jets to explain Inkscape to most people...

QuoteReally now? ^..^

*starts compiling list of Unix-sama defamations to orate*

*crosses finger for New Jerseyite joke*

C'mon! After nearly two years, it's still too damn funny!

'
QuoteExcept pink and purple, correct? ^^

Waaaah, I'm still working up the nerve ^^;
Sure thing.
And that's great to hear! ^v^

I hope it's better to see...even if it's in beta and missing the background...

Initially, you might find it incredibly strange that I would draw Multics-sama holding Unix-sama given their fairly horrific past. We've thought alot about their differences, but I've always wanted to show their similarities...after all, the two are like inverse copies of each other in a lot of ways.

A lot of times I draw the characters in group pictures separately (actually in separate files), but I wanted the two to look very "one"; so both were drawn at the same time. I had a very hard time getting the poses and emotions right in this picture. I tried one with Unix-sama smiling and one with Multics-sama serious. I tried one with neither smiling. I drew a several quick sketches, and this was my favorite. I was planning on merely inking the sketch that I chose; but in the end, I went all out. This picture uses a lot of blurring and a lot of traced bitmap images (as in, the gems and jewelry). I don't know if the wings jive with me, I may have used too much blurring, but I wanted the black coloring to blend in better with the lighter areas. It should also be noted this picture is going to have two light sources; one in front of Unix-sama, and the other behind Multics-sama, thus the incontinuity in shading/highlighting.

I could get very into the symbolism of the colors, the numbers, and the emotions used in this picture, but perhaps I'll wait until the background if finished. Either that, or wait to hear what you guys think. I'll give you a hint; a lot of it has to do with their anthropomorphisms, the owl and eagle, and subsequently darkness/lightness, and the moon/sun.

QuoteI've been pretty charged myself lately.
I want to finish the Binteji Renmei panel of the Zerosanity XMAS panel, but also would like to leave Aurora-hime with some kind of storyboard for her to work with. Knowing that's pretty impossible to do the standard way, and not wanting to stoop down to stick figures...

...I'll take a little page from Clannad and come up with something new....

Not Chibis...

Not Minis....

But "Dangos". ^_______^

now I'm intrigued...O.o

Aurora Borealis

HOOOLLLLLYYYY CRAAAAAAP THAT'S AMAAAAAZIIIIING!! *explodes*

Baffling (Multics-sama and Unix-sama in a group picture... NOT fighting?! ) but incredibly, amazingly, dazzlingly beautiful! All the folds on Multics-sama's dress and headgear, as well as their designs are brilliantly well-done! Unix-sama's dress is simple (and practically nothing in comparison to Multics-sama's!) but still beautiful! ;019

I notice the contrast that you intended between the two, with Multics-sama's light-colored (and yellow) and super elaborate dress contrasting with Unix-sama's dark-colored and simple dress!

NejinOniwa

QuoteI hope it's better to see...even if it's in beta and missing the background...
.w.

My, my, that's some nice things you've got going there. Tasty!
YOU COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS

C-Chan

Le GASP!!!!!!!  >v<
Funny thing how I only recently watched the Bucket List.  If I had to compile one in time for C-Day, and on it it said "Meet the most beautiful women in the world", then I guess witnessing THAT masterpiece above means I can cross one item off the list!  ^v^

Not finished yet and ALREADY it's looking like Mana from heaven!  I wish I had more time to pour over it (only really signed on right now to dump some artwork), but it's a moot point anyway cause right now... this minute... I'm melting into a desert dish!!  ^___^

(And no, you can't have some Nejin -- its a 'women's only' desert.  -v-)

Added after 15 hours 44 minutes:

IOU a proper reply soon.

Just want to get today's bit of artwork outta the way.  ^__^

Bella

QuoteLe GASP!!!!!!! >v<
Funny thing how I only recently watched the Bucket List. If I had to compile one in time for C-Day, and on it it said "Meet the most beautiful women in the world", then I guess witnessing THAT masterpiece above means I can cross one item off the list! ^v^

Funny how I only recently got around to watching The Da Vinci Code. I swear I'm going to hide SO MANY subliminal messages suggesting that Unix and Multics-sama are related in this picture! ><

Glad you could finally meet the most beautiful women in the world, though. I take it Multics-sama and Unix-sama are going to become C-Chan Bride #...um....ummmmm....yeaaaah....too many to count. XD

QuoteNot finished yet and ALREADY it's looking like Mana from heaven! I wish I had more time to pour over it (only really signed on right now to dump some artwork), but it's a moot point anyway cause right now... this minute... I'm melting into a desert dish!! ^___^

The background should be done by tomorrow. Beautiful how much work can be done when to temporarily throw time limits out the window ^^

Quote(And no, you can't have some Nejin -- its a 'women's only' desert. -v-)

NOMNOMNOM

Oh yeah. Have some WAITS-san.

In case you forgot, WAITS-san is the Bohemian chick who happens to be related (a cousin?) to TOPS 10-san. She's a musical and artistic genius, and happens to be very free-loving. Her closest friends would be ITS-san and Emacs-kun. I could go on, but reading this WAITS Autobiography explains her better than I could. :P

I realize her right arm is a bit odd. I know this already, but I was just trying to get this picture done.

BTW, the color scheme was radically redone after I found pictures of SAIL...

Quote.w.

My, my, that's some nice things you've got going there. Tasty!

Why is it, Nejin-san, that Multics-sama seems to bring you to this thread every time? A closet Multics-sama-ist, maybe? ^^'

QuoteHOOOLLLLLYYYY CRAAAAAAP THAT'S AMAAAAAZIIIIING!! *explodes*

Baffling (Multics-sama and Unix-sama in a group picture... NOT fighting?! ) but incredibly, amazingly, dazzlingly beautiful! All the folds on Multics-sama's dress and headgear, as well as their designs are brilliantly well-done! Unix-sama's dress is simple (and practically nothing in comparison to Multics-sama's!) but still beautiful!

I notice the contrast that you intended between the two, with Multics-sama's light-colored (and yellow) and super elaborate dress contrasting with Unix-sama's dark-colored and simple dress!

Thank you so much Aurora-sama. A lot of inspiration for this picture came from the fact that...while a lot of Multicians don't really like Unix that much, they still know it's practically their only true descendant. I think Multics-sama would have eventually realized, for all those who modeled themselves after her and trained with her, there would only be one who was her heir, whom she directly caused the creation of...

Even if she didn't agree with (or even like) her daughter, she must have been happy to know some legacy would be carried on. (Makes me wonder what she would think of Linux-sama).

You nailed the meaning of the colors-- they play on the darkness/lightness theme. To expand, brown is typically a color representing primitiveness, practicality, sorrow and bareness. Last time I drew Multics-sama, she was dressed in the emotionally charged color of red; but this time, I wanted to make her color scheme more subdued (using only splashes of red to hint at her personality). Yellow often represents the sun, lightness, peace-- but also betrayal, jealousy. Purple is an imperial color in the Western world, but can also have connotations of injury.

And THAT, my friend, is sum deeeeeep thinking. Wait till the background's done...

Aurora Borealis

Brilliant work on WAITS-san! Her revamp (like DTSS-sama's) suits her character very well! The light cyan + light yellow + brown combo is unique and implemented beautifully! (I never thought of that as a working color combo, but with your mad fashion skillz, you make that possible!)

NejinOniwa

Quote(And no, you can't have some Nejin -- its a 'women's only' desert. -v-)
I was about to tell you, "hey, I'm no dessert for anybody!" until I saw what you meant. You, you.

AND ALSO, ALL FOOD IS MINE!

Bella

QuoteBrilliant work on WAITS-san! Her revamp (like DTSS-sama's) suits her character very well! The light cyan + light yellow + brown combo is unique and implemented beautifully! (I never thought of that as a working color combo, but with your mad fashion skillz, you make that possible!)

Thank you...like I said, the actual colors of the SAIL machine gave me the idea for blue/light yellowish.

So, here's the Multics/Unix-sama picture with background, BETA. For some reason, Inkscape keeps devouring paths when I try to export a PNG image (the paths are still in the SVG...just not the PNG.

Closeup of the characters

...I was going to have a grandfather clock in this picture, but in the end I didn't know how it'd fit in with the rather outdoorsy look of the background. And I was being lazy. I don't know if I should leave this as is and move on, or not. And I doubt the source could be posted (cause it's a HUGE file). So...

Aurora Borealis

*jaw drops*

The background is just as amazingly beautifully done as the characters, with incredible attention to detail, and I imagine incredible patience and devotion to boot! ;019 ;019 ;019

NejinOniwa

!!!

That!
...I'm....uh...

...BLARGH-

*enters Giant Mode*

THAT. IS. MY. LUNCH.

*approaches Multics-tan and Unix-tan with knife and fork in hand*

KUKUKUKUKU...
:B

Nuker

*takes pen and writes on a billboard*
*raises billboard*

Did you see my jaw? I lost it moments ago and I'm pretty sure it has to be somewhere 'round here...

Bella

OH NOES! I got a bad case of OCD-mach-three, and had to mess around with this pic some more....

...hold on, I'm typing up a response as we speak.

FULLSIZE--VERY BIG

Added after 2 hours 42 minutes:

This picture has a a lot of raster images in it...the patterns on the wall, the Oriental rugs, the stained glass window, and the patterning in the yellow layer of Multics-sama's dress are all raster. Other objects are traces of raster images, such as the gemstones (I got the idea from C-Chan's PCLOS-tan's vector image), the archways, and Multics-sama's necklace and pearl headpiece. Most of the color effects were done in Photoshop, as was the background blurring.

Originally I had the idea to make this picture rather unrealistic...to have Unix-sama and Multics-sama kinda in the center of the picture, and literally have it day and night on either sides, thus symbolizing the opposing nature of both characters. But in the end, I decided coloring this would be a bit too difficult, and doubted my ability to pull off such a surrealistic picture. However, the sunset/sunrise background I chose alludes to this same concept, as it's the boundary and connection between night and day.

Let me start by addressing some of the meanings in this picture. Like I said before, I wanted the main theme in this picture to center around duality; light and dark, day and night, complex and simple, differences and unity. I wanted Unix and Multics-sama to be dressed differently from one another; but at the same time, I wanted them to look physically alike, and incredibly one with each other. We have to remember that Unix was born from the near-destruction of the Multics project. While different in design, Unix does carry many concepts introduced in Multics (and CTSS for that matter), and would never have existed if Multics had not begun to fail. As something of inverse copies of one another, Unix-sama and Multics-sama were both chastised for their "flaws"; the former's being simplicity, the latter complexity. It's only fitting that the two would have an inextricably complex relationship, as neither would have existed, as we know them, without the other.

I wanted the background to have a distinctly ancient, Greco-Roman feel to it, what with the arches, columns, pottery, draperies and such. I wanted it to be airy, yet intimate. Somehow I associate the background much more with Multics-sama than Unix-sama, perhaps because her own style of dress has ancient touches scattered throughout; such as the veil, headpiece, and gold arm bands. This works for Multics-sama well, as she was sort of the foundation of modern OSes; Unix-sama has always dressed a lot more modernly, which fits her well because she was one of the first truly modern OSes. The background color scheme has lots of blue, purple and red; I've talked about the meanings of these colors before, blue symbolizing life, eternity, immensity and reflection. Red symbolizes everything from love and passion to arrogance and vengeance and is symbolic of the sun, and purple is something of a common ground...the merging of these colors.

I love researching symbolism, so let me, for a moment, soliloquize about the perfection of Unix and Multics-sama's anthropomorphism. It's long been established the former's is the owl, and while we initially considered the snowy owl for the latter, I've proposed a more fitting anthropomorphism is the eagle. Now, let's look at some symbolic meanings behind these animals...

The owl...
QuoteSilent and Swift Movement, Seeing Behind Masks, Keen Sight, Messenger of Secrets and Omens, Shape-Shifting, Link Between the Dark, Unseen World and the World of Light, Comfort with Shadow Self, Moon Magick, Freedom, Silent Wisdom, Nocturnal Vision, Healing Powers, Magical, Detachment, Change, the Mystery of Magic, Watchfulness, Truth, Patience.

In some cultures, owls are connected to bad omens, symbolic messengers of death of misfortune; but many societies associate them with wisdom and intelligence. The owl is often associated with goddesses, such as Athena, Minerva, Lakshmi, and are also considered to be associated with the demoness Lilith.

And the eagle...

QuoteSwiftness, Strength, Courage, Wisdom, Keen Sight, Illumination of Spirit, Healing, Creation, Knowledge of Magick, Ability to See Hidden Spiritual Truths, Connection to Spirit Guides and Teachers, Power, Intelligence, Renewal, Clear Vision, The Solar Bird, Spiritual Power, Carries Souls Back to the Dreamtime, Soul World Memory, Retrieves Lost Soul Parts.

With its acute eyesight, the eagle has come to embody an all-seeing eye. The eagle is often a solar symbol, and can be linked to all sky gods. It signifies inspiration, release from bondage, victory, longevity, speed, pride, father and royalty; it is often an emblem for powerful nations...the eagle is often depicted in combat with other animals; when seen in combat with a bull or LION, it represents the spirit or the intellect in conflict with the physical. When shown with a serpent in its talons, the two represent the struggle and unity of LIGHT and DARKNESS; good and evil. In this context the eagle depicts LIGHT and good, while the serpent represents evil and DARKNESS. Often its opposite is the OWL -- the bird of darkness and death.

Now let's think about this. Owls are symbolic of the night and the moon, while eagles are symbolic of the day and and sun. The moon is often considered a female symbol; it carries connotations of motherhood, (Unix-sama's code did propagate itself well), eternity, immortality, cyclical nature, wisdom and inner knowledge. The sun is usually considered a male symbol, one of glory, knowledge, power, and loftiness (all of which describe Multics-sama's later self quite well). If I may get even more symbolic, the former is associated with silver; the latter, gold.

Now I know this could be done with about any characters and any anthropomorphism. You'll find meaning even where none is. But you have to admit...this fits pretty well.

Now for the numbers. As with the past drawing of Multics-sama, there happens to be a pattern of eights...such as eight rings on her headpiece. This comes from the eight security rings of Multics. There's also a pattern of fours (being half of eight), and threes. There are none such patterns with Unix-sama, unless you count one's; perhaps the Unix staff symbolizes this. There also happens to be an unintentional pattern of two's, such as the two foreground columns, the two background columns, two archways--etc. This must have to do with the duality I mentioned before.

Well, I guess that's about all I have to say about the symbolism.

C-Chan

*shakes piggy fist in air*

DAMN  -  YOU  -  PHOTOBUCKET!!!!!  >>>>.<<<<<

(or company firewall... either which way, I damn someone....  Â¬Â¬)

I do have to step out, though, so please please please please PLEASE hold that thought!  Tonight is Bella Night -- I want miss my replies to all this yum-yum, finger-licking good artwork for ALL the world!.  ^__^

*trots off real quick*

Siya

AWESOME!  You did some MIGHTY research there, too!  

I like what you did with the color symbolism.  At first I was going to add a bit of info on the symbolism of the color purple, but that's unnecessary with what you've got going.  It's really awesome!  I like that you're using purple as a sort of union of the two sides.